Another fatal dog attack

J&T

Visit site
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leicestershire-67471802American bully XL: Arrest after security guard bitten by dog

Footage of the dog responsible in the link above being seized and apparently the public were not happy they were seizing the dog so once again we don't care about the security guard who was bitten and ended up in hospital. Pure idiots.

I say seize and PTS

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Footage of the dog responsible in the link above being seized and apparently the public were not happy they were seizing the dog so once again we don't care about the security guard who was bitten and ended up in hospital. Pure idiots.

I say seize and PTS

I'm sorry but regardless of what you think about XL Bullies, I have seen this video come up on another news outlet I was looking at and it is utterly heartbreaking. Yes the owner should have had him muzzled, but it's still a much loved family pet being removed from you to be killed, and it's especially distressing when you have a young child involved. The dog was very placid throughout the whole ordeal and didn't try to lash out or defend himself against the control pole/police and it was a very high stimulation environment by that point, which to me begs the question of what the security guard did to the dog to prompt the reaction.. either way, it's a dangerous situation, but very sad for all involved.

Reactions: JJS

bonny

Visit site
I'm sorry but regardless of what you think about XL Bullies, I have seen this video come up on another news outlet I was looking at and it is utterly heartbreaking. Yes the owner should have had him muzzled, but it's still a much loved family pet being removed from you to be killed, and it's especially distressing when you have a young child involved. The dog was very placid throughout the whole ordeal and didn't try to lash out or defend himself against the control pole/police and it was a very high stimulation environment by that point, which to me begs the question of what the security guard did to the dog to prompt the reaction.. either way, it's a dangerous situation, but very sad for all involved.
What would you like the police to do ?

I'm Dun

Visit site

Does it matter what he did? The dog bit him more than once. I wouldn't expect either of mine to bite, although you can never be totally sure. If they did I would expect them to be seized, and they are less than 20kgs with tiny mouths and very limited bite strength.

I do not understand why people have dogs like this. I'm staying in a travel lodge and mine were swarmed by about 15 very over excited little girls dressed in dance competition clothes yesterday. I dont have to worry as they love kids and even if a child was to step on them, or poke them in the eye etc they would just move away. Obviously, I was there keeping a very close eye, but it was more so the youngest didn't get over excited and start bouncing around. A horde of over excited little girls is about the most fun thing he can imagine.

I cant imagine how stressful it must be to have to be constantly on alert in case a person does something stupid or a dog approaches. And sadly for these dogs a lot of their owners either arent aware or dont care, and then situations like this happen.

conniegirl

Visit site
He shouldnt have put it in a situation where it could bite anyone let alone multiple times.

Until people realise the consequences this will keep happening.
I dont care if its the most lovely family pet, it still bit someone

skinnydipper

Visit site
Last edited:

J&T

Visit site
I'm sorry but to say "what did the security guard do to prompt the reaction" says all I need to know.

No dog of any breed or cross breed should bite anyone regardless of what there doing. I'm sorry but we'll just have to agree to disagree I don't care it's a family pet that dog should be put down and instead of everyone having a go at the police maybe just maybe they should vent there frustration at the owner who clearly doesn't have control over there dog or doesn't know there dog well enough to not put him in situations were he will bite since he bit more than once. It's the owners fault it will be "killed" not the polices or the security guards fault.

I'm sorry but that dog is dangerous it bit a person more than once so it should be killed.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I'm sorry but to say "what did the security guard do to prompt the reaction" says all I need to know.

No dog of any breed or cross breed should bite anyone regardless of what there doing. I'm sorry but we'll just have to agree to disagree I don't care it's a family pet that dog should be put down and instead of everyone having a go at the police maybe just maybe they should vent there frustration at the owner who clearly doesn't have control over there dog or doesn't know there dog well enough to not put him in situations were he will bite since he bit more than once. It's the owners fault it will be "killed" not the polices or the security guards fault.

I'm sorry but that dog is dangerous it bit a person more than once so it should be killed.

I didn't say anywhere in my post that I disagreed with the action taken which is what all the posters who have quoted me have failed to notice... something can be heartbreaking and distressing but still be the right thing to do. From the dogs behaviour I think there may have been more context to the bite than has been publicised, however the fact is the dog still bit a security guard several times, and thus suffered the consequences. It just pulls on the heartstrings how much man has failed these animals.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I was bitten a few months ago for walking through a doorway of a shared space (not a house), standing side on, quietly addressing someone who was not the owner and not even acknowledging that there was a dog there who covered ground to get to me and make his point.
It wasn't a serious bite because the dog is just a windy nervebag, but as mentioned, the dog shouldn't have been put in that position.

Most pet dog owners don't realise that doorways can be flashpoints for dogs, the security guard could have been doing nothing more provocative than standing in a doorway, like I was.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
We had a much loved family pet dog who nipped a child that was getting too much in her face. When the same dog bit the postman we had her put down. There were excuses for her behaviour on both occasions, but having a dog that can't be trusted not to bite is not something I'm prepared to do. None of my other dogs have ever bitten anyone, and I've had many dogs of all sorts of different breeds, including some now on the restricted list.

Squeak

Visit site

I see the dog biting and attacking the control pole? If it had been quiet it would have been less dramatic to watch. I agree it wasn't a situation for a young child, if there was no one else with them (I'm guessing it was father and child) then the father could have asked a police officer to look after the child so they weren't involved while the dog was taken, tbh to me that's just another sort of lack of sensible decision making, child and dog were put in bad situations.

Regardless of whether the dog was or wasn't provoked, it still attacked someone badly enough they ended up in hospital and to me that's the big difference, it wasn't a dog that just had a nip, it must have really meant it. If it was my dog that had just attacked someone and put them in hospital it would be irrelevant whether the dog was removed from me or not, there's only one outcome that would have happened.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
it was a very high stimulation environment by that point, which to me begs the question of what the security guard did to the dog to prompt the reaction.

Time and again in this thread we've been given example of how these dogs go from 0 to 100 in the blink of an eye for no obvious reason.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I don't know, I take my dog(s) (not both at once) to shops. Many of the locally owned shops are dog friendly, and some of the "big box" stores are too. I always ask or check ahead of time, and would be fine with being turned away.

It was a huge part of my dogs education, especially the Cane Corso. They can learn about human behaviors, what's "normal" and how to be social (or not, at the owners direction).

Mine seems alright with it and generally sits or lays at my heel while I'm conversing. She's rather relaxed in one shop and she'll go for a nap 🤣 the owner and I chat for awhile obviously it's a bore!

skinnydipper

Visit site
I hate shopping myself and avoid it whenever possible :)

I don't know how busy Highcross Shopping Centre is on a typical Saturday at 12.30 and how it would feel at doggy level, weaving round people's legs and avoiding being stood on.

It just doesn't strike me as a fun day out for a dog.

Smitty

Visit site
Mine loves it. I sometimes wander up to Millets, a couple of charity shops and Jollys with him if I need anything. He's small and fixes his eyes on people, flattens his ears and wags like no one's business and generally gets a huge fuss made of him which just makes his day. The staff in Millets are the worst at encouraging his narcissistic behaviour and if I'm not going in there but just walking past, he sits outside and refuses to budge for ages 🙄

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Must say it was very convenient, back when we had a proper post office, to be able to drop off a parcel and combine it with heading out for a dog walk. And I was very grateful for Moto services policy earlier this year that let me take my dog in with me to the loo, as I was travelling solo and it was over 30c so I couldn't leave him in the car. Taking a giant breed dog browsing in a shopping centre, I don't so much see the point.

I'm Dun

Visit site
Meh, most people seem ok with dogs in shops where allowed. This holds true IME in both Germany and the US. No one has ever tripped over my dog? And usually places are not crawling with dogs either.

Also, crazy concept, but some dogs are well behaved in public 🤣

I take mine all over. Its never an issue. They have a fan club who work in screwfix and keep biscuits for them under the counter. There has been much disgust that the travel lodge we are staying in does not have biscuits under the counter. But they've befriended the night receptionist who comes round every night at last wees to make a huge fuss of them which is nearly as good as a biscuit!

I wouldnt take them on a proper shopping trip, but if I'm popping in somewhere and dogs are allowed I take them with me.

paddy555

Visit site

daily fail I know but the irresponsibility and why don't they even start to get the message, the pics of some of the dogs faces ie the jaws are so powerful. .

also the pics at the end of those who have died.

nothing new to be learnt in the article we hadn't already concluded just posted the link out of interest.

twiggy2

Visit site

daily fail I know but the irresponsibility and why don't they even start to get the message, the pics of some of the dogs faces ie the jaws are so powerful. .

also the pics at the end of those who have died.

nothing new to be learnt in the article we hadn't already concluded just posted the link out of interest.
So many with cropped ears and collars that dont fit and could easily be backed out of.
Pic 9 is very sad, the dogs elbows and forelegs conformation are shocking.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
So many with cropped ears and collars that dont fit and could easily be backed out of.
Pic 9 is very sad, the dogs elbows and forelegs conformation are shocking.
Yep that was my thought too - the hypocrisy of people claiming to be dog lovers while parading around dogs with cropped ears...

Where do cropped eared dogs even come from in this day and age? Who is cutting these dogs' ears off?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Yep that was my thought too - the hypocrisy of people claiming to be dog lovers while parading around dogs with cropped ears...

Where do cropped eared dogs even come from in this day and age? Who is cutting these dogs' ears off?
I always, always ask people who have cropped dogs this....they rarely reply, and if they do it's usually rather impolite.

Chucho

Visit site
Ear cropping and tail docking are both legal here (US & Canada) and so it's just a cultural norm. Plus part of the AKC breed standard for some breeds. Disgracefully. People don't question it. We get comments on our ears and tails... I have to explain that cropping was banned in the UK in about 1898 and docking is also illegal. I have older family members who talk about how unnatural tails look (!) on breeds they're used to seeing docked. Vets have now agreed to stop docking in Alberta where we live... so breeders take the dogs over the border instead. It's pretty upsetting and the pace of change is slow.