Another fatal dog attack

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Not just big dogs...

While I agree this is horrible , how did a dog of that size get to her face? The only dogs that ever get anywhere near my face are my own and that’s not often. no matter how cute a little dog looks everyone knows they can all bite.

SilverLinings

Visit site
In the article in the Times yesterday about the number of XLBs (same figures as in the Telegraph report above posted by @asmp) a spokesman for the Association of Dogs and Cats Homes was saying how hard it is on them and how many of their centres are full because of abandoned XLBs. Registration was relatively cheap so I would suggest that at least some of those dogs were abandoned/surrendered because the owners were concerned they may be aggressive. Why aren't the rescues accepting the fact that at least some of the XLBs should be PTS? They are housing a large number of dogs that can never be rehomed when the space and money could be used to help dogs who could be rehomed and go on to live happy lives. And I'm not sure that 12yrs living in kennels is a good life for any dog.

Smitty

Visit site
I wonder how old the dog is, must be more than 30 years, otherwise it wouldn't exist🙄

It's owner wasn't aware they were a banned breed. Not sure what I find the most concerning, that, if true, which I doubt, or the court for going along with it. I thought ignorance was no defence ...

Anyway, her lawyers must be very good!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
What kind of dog expert is concluding that a dog that pinned someone (who did nothing more than come to the front door) against a fence and bit their face is no threat.

You have got children there so I'm sure you will be extra careful.

Good grief what idiots the bench were that day!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
That is so wrong, wonder how long it will be before one of her children gets attacked. Just seen a video on Facebook showing an XL bully walk, most of the people walking the dogs were women and some were interviewed and one had a six month old which was already quite big and she was saying how gentle it was, wait till it gets to maturity and let’s see if it’s still the same,

skinnydipper

Visit site
Weren't Akitas also bred for fighting?

Quick search on Google:

Originally Japanese dogs were small to medium in size and no large breeds existed. Since 1603 in the Akita region, Akita Matagis (medium-sized bear-hunting dogs) were used as fighting dogs. From 1868 Akita Matagis were crossed with Tosas and Mastiffs. Consequently, the size of this breed increased but characteristics associated with Spitz type were lost. In 1908 dog fighting was prohibited, but this breed was nevertheless preserved and improved as a large Japanese breed.

Another function that the local dogs served was in dogfighting. For approximately 300 years, the Akita hunting dogs and the Akita fighting dogs co-existed with the fighting dogs being mixed with an assortment of western breeds for an even larger size during the Meiji era (1868-1912) and Taisho era (1912-1926).

Last edited:

Smitty

Visit site

skinnydipper

Visit site

Hopefully all that will happen is they waste a lot of money.

"Ms McGahey argued the government were wrong to assume the breed had the characteristics of a dog bred for fighting."

Are they stupid? What do they think is the core breed?

Last edited:

sarah.oxford

Visit site
Saw a guy park on the double yellow lines outside the front of the vets this morning (car park is at the back), and get his unmuzzled XL bully out of the car. It dragged him into the road, causing a cyclist to swerve, before he reeled it in and headed into the vets.
I'm glad I wasn't sat in the waiting room with my dog when it arrived.
Some dog owners do not do themselves or the breed any favours whatsoever. I do hope the vets had a word about regulations and generally being in control.

SilverLinings

Visit site
Sadly another serious attack by what is being described as a 'large bulldog-type'. There aren't many details (e.g. whether it happened in the owners home, whether it is an XLB), but fortunately the dog was PTS by the police.

SilverLinings

Visit site
At least as the breed is 'banned' the police took it seriously as it sounds as though the conditions the dogs were being kept in (and breeding in) were appalling.

The article also says that South Yorkshire Police alone dealt with 14 cases of out-of-control dogs in just one weekend; a lot of people just don't seem to care what their dog does or what risk it poses to others :(