Another fatal dog attack

SilverLinings

Visit site

Aside from the fact it (obviously) doesn't include unregistered dogs, some areas may have a greater % of unregistered XLBs making the comparisons between areas very different.

Are deaths of registered dogs reported? Google only tells me you can no longer claim compensation for PTS. If they aren't officially recorded then the stats are only accurate as of 01.02.24, and the numbers of registered dogs should be decreasing. As they are a larger breed within 10yrs the majority should have died, and within ~5yrs the population will hopefully be approximately halved compared to current figures.

There needs to be an adequate punishment to deter people from buying illegal XLB puppies though, and proactive policing of the law.

I'm Dun

Visit site
14 here, its a VERY affluent area, so more than I expected. A quick check of postcode areas I know, ties in with my hunch that they are found in greater numbers in more deprived areas. Theres loads of research that can be done with that data. I hope someone is doing it.

SilverLinings

Visit site
14 here, its a VERY affluent area, so more than I expected. A quick check of postcode areas I know, ties in with my hunch that they are found in greater numbers in more deprived areas. Theres loads of research that can be done with that data. I hope someone is doing it.
I was surprised by the numbers in more affluent areas like Gloucestershire and Oxfordshire, although not so surprised that there are 56 in the Blackbird Leys area. It probably highlights my unhelpful prejudice towards XLBs and my assumptions about who owns them.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I was surprised by the numbers in more affluent areas like Gloucestershire and Oxfordshire, although not so surprised that there are 56 in the Blackbird Leys area. It probably highlights my unhelpful prejudice towards XLBs and my assumptions about who owns them.
I drove through blackbird leys the other day and its like a different world compared to jericho/wolvercote which is my current mooring place. It felt very like the horribly deprived areas that were very common in the north east where I grew up. I was really surprised by it.

Fjord

Visit site
28 in my area. I've only seen 1 definite one when in my nearest high street, but there will no doubt be loads on one of the estates.

misst

Visit site
10 here. I saw one on Friday unmuzzled on a long line in the woods. Definitely xlb not mastiff. She shortened the line when she saw me with3 terriers. I gathered them up and took another path as it was staring at them with an intense stare. I would have liked to take a photo or say something but needed to take the dogs away.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
More than 70 in ox1 😳
Mine says OX1 is 0-9 (less than 10 not reported)?

OX5 has 79 but that doesn’t surprise me as it covers very densely populated and low cost housing in parts.

Our post code is under 0-9 / not counted too, and I’ve actually never seen one in real life so I imagine it’s accurate.

Last edited:

sarah.oxford

Visit site
Mine says 0-9 (less than 10 not reported)?

OX5 has 79 but that doesn’t surprise me as it covers very densely populated and low cost housing in parts.

Our post code is under 0-9 / not counted too, and I’ve actually never seen one in real life so I imagine it’s accurate.
My goodness .... 79 in a densely populated area is an awful lot. And that's just the registered ones.
I had a lovely relaxed hour in a secure field in the sunshine today, and although my area is not showing as high numbers as some, the numbers of them that I see around are enough that I very rarely walk from home. I drive to areas where I can see what's coming from a long way away, and I rarely see other dogs anyway. These places feel remote and are beautiful, yet only a 10 minute drive away. Different world.

Smitty

Visit site
Sorry, not meaning to derail this but have to unload. Well, I have been a member of Protect Our Pets Facebook group since 2021 but I have been thrown out as I'm suspicious apparently 🤔. I'm a bit upset as it was a group I believed in hugely, trying to get dog on dog attacks made a criminal offence. I am apparently a possible XL owner trying to infiltrate the group!!

"I am sorry if we are doing you an injustice but I have discussed your case with the other admins and they are all adamant that we cannot trust you. We are tired of the harrassment and death threats we are receiving on a daily bases and need to be supercautious"

Last edited:

Smitty

Visit site
Hmm, 9 in my postcode area, a town with a lot of less salubrious areas. I would say I have seen 5 whilst out walking and that is in a small area of the town. In the surrounding villages there are apparently 14. I would hazzard a guess that there are a much larger amount of non registered dogs living in the town than in the surrounding villages where I have only ever seen matbe one.

sarah.oxford

Visit site
@sarah.oxford sadly I imagine there are far more unregistered where there are registered ones 🙁 it’s a bit scary isn’t it.

It really is scary, and of course we have no way of knowing because I imagine those unregistered dogs will not be out and about terribly often, at least not in daylight.
The ones not getting out at all must be not in the best place mentally and the thought that they might be around kids is just awful.

SilverLinings

Visit site
I drove through blackbird leys the other day and its like a different world compared to jericho/wolvercote which is my current mooring place. It felt very like the horribly deprived areas that were very common in the north east where I grew up. I was really surprised by it.

Blackbird Leys had an unfortunate reputation back in the late 80s when I lived in Oxford, I learnt what joyriding was as a child overhearing older children at school talking about what went on there. I last drove past about five years ago and was disappointed to see that it doesn't seem to have changed a huge amount, I had hoped it might have become safer and quieter there for families. Friends who live in Oxford say that there is still regular talk of the area being 'improved' but it never actually happens, which is a real shame for the children growing up there as it's not the nicest environment.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Sorry, not meaning to derail this but have to unload. Well, I have been a member of Protect Our Pets Facebook group since 2021 but I have been thrown out as I'm suspicious apparently 🤔. I'm a bit upset as it was a group I believed in hugely, trying to get dog on dog attacks made a criminal offence. I am apparently a possible XL owner trying to infiltrate the group!!

"I am sorry if we are doing you an injustice but I have discussed your case with the other admins and they are all adamant that we cannot trust you. We are tired of the harrassment and death threats we are receiving on a daily bases and need to be supercautious"
Surely to god they don't put their flipping addresses on there?!

I was sad talking to a neighbour at the rental the other week who said the akita opposite her house grabbed her terrier and killed it yet nothing was done by the police. It also knocked her down. She's at least 80 🙁 I said it's really sad that dog on dog attacks are not taken as seriously as they ought to be.

If you send me a message or link the group, I'll see if I can join. Everyone knows spaniels are soppy! (except for my werewolf!)

sarah.oxford

Visit site
Blackbird Leys had an unfortunate reputation back in the late 80s when I lived in Oxford, I learnt what joyriding was as a child overhearing older children at school talking about what went on there. I last drove past about five years ago and was disappointed to see that it doesn't seem to have changed a huge amount, I had hoped it might have become safer and quieter there for families. Friends who live in Oxford say that there is still regular talk of the area being 'improved' but it never actually happens, which is a real shame for the children growing up there as it's not the nicest environment.

I live on the outskirts in a relatively new build in a cul de sac and it is really quiet.
I will not walk my dogs from the house though, and drive 10 minutes away where it feels like I'm in the middle of nowhere.
I grew up on the farm that was where Greater Leys is now. My Dad was farm manager and we were there 12 years.
I'm glad I am on the side that backs onto nothing. I cannot think of anything worse that being in the middle of a built up area, wherever it is.