Another fatal dog attack

Clodagh

Visit site
"The dog had come from a good family home 2 days previously", so yet another illegally rehomed I despair.
What is so unbelievably tragic is any dog would be unpredictable in that situation, rehomed, a house full of strangers… it’s a complete set up to fail scenario, as so many of these attacks are. I feel so sorry for the dogs, it’s not their fault they’ve been bred and repeatedly failed.
I obviously feel far more sorry for the little boy.

SilverLinings

Visit site
What is so unbelievably tragic is any dog would be unpredictable in that situation, rehomed, a house full of strangers… it’s a complete set up to fail scenario, as so many of these attacks are. I feel so sorry for the dogs, it’s not their fault they’ve been bred and repeatedly failed.
I obviously feel far more sorry for the little boy.
It's an interesting point that an alarmingly large number of XLB owners appear to be people without enough knowledge (about dogs) or experience to own any type of dog, let alone a powerful breed that apparently shows aggression with little warning. Although as a lot of the owners appear to be so inexperienced are the dogs actually exhibiting the same warning signals as most other breeds but the owners just don't understand what they are seeing?

And with regards to whether some owners are blinded by stupidity or faith, I find it really worrying that an increasing number of people now disbelieve facts (e.g. a disproportionate amount of humans killed by XLBs rather than other breeds) in favour of whatever they want to believe/whatever backs up their decision (e.g. the XLB is a 'nanny dog' and anyone who says otherwise is 'discriminating'). It seemed to become more noticeable during the pandemic and has continued to spread.

I'm Dun

Visit site
It's an interesting point that an alarmingly large number of XLB owners appear to be people without enough knowledge (about dogs) or experience to own any type of dog, let alone a powerful breed that apparently shows aggression with little warning. Although as a lot of the owners appear to be so inexperienced are the dogs actually exhibiting the same warning signals as most other breeds but the owners just don't understand what they are seeing?

And with regards to whether some owners are blinded by stupidity or faith, I find it really worrying that an increasing number of people now disbelieve facts (e.g. a disproportionate amount of humans killed by XLBs rather than other breeds) in favour of whatever they want to believe/whatever backs up their decision (e.g. the XLB is a 'nanny dog' and anyone who says otherwise is 'discriminating'). It seemed to become more noticeable during the pandemic and has continued to spread.

A friend of mine told me she would happily rehome an XL if it wasn't illegal now. I just cant get my head round it.

And I don't believe they do give off warning signs. The scary thing about these dogs is that they do appear to go from friendly to killers in a split second.

Ratface

Visit site
You know we were wondering how stupid some of these dog owners are? Well our question is answered in another article on one of the pages pointed to above. If you have your dog on a lead it is, perhaps, not the greatest idea to throw a stick for it .... into a river.

Very much a case of "Where it ain't, you can't find it. "

webble

Visit site

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site

A group of delusional people in Dorset on 1st June, so you may wish to avoid the area.
Let’s get a bunch of xls together and see what happens! 😱 Quite mad. Have they missed the recent attacks?! I’ve had to seriously pull back from a relatively new friend who repeatedly advocates for brachycephalic dogs and xls. I just can’t comprehend why.

cauda equina

Visit site
Let’s get a bunch of xls together and see what happens! 😱 Quite mad. Have they missed the recent attacks?! I’ve had to seriously pull back from a relatively new friend who repeatedly advocates for brachycephalic dogs and xls. I just can’t comprehend why.
Would it be mean to imagine some sort of mass extinction/mutual assured destruction type scenario?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site

SilverLinings

Visit site
I thought, with the XL ban, any XL without a muzzle or off lead in public, not registered, not chipped or out of control was automatically seized and PTS?

Am I wrong as this doesn't seem to be happening.
I've just had a quick Google and I can't see anything more concrete other than that it is an offence. I have found information on possible penalties for the owner, but not what happens to the dog other than that 'it could be seized and put down'. I would presume that if it is permanently seized from the owner then it would have to be PTS as it is not legal to transfer ownership. It looks like at the moment the owners are more likely to be warned (if the dog has been exempted and it's *just* a case of being without a muzzle/lead).

As well as the ones not wearing muzzles and leads it would be interesting to know how many owners have also not complied with the requirement to have third party insurance.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I thought, with the XL ban, any XL without a muzzle or off lead in public, not registered, not chipped or out of control was automatically seized and PTS?

Am I wrong as this doesn't seem to be happening.
There are not enough police to do that, they’d be doing nothing but round here! Also, imagine arguing with the owner who tells you it’s not of type-no experts in the force as of yet (ever). And how can they check chips?

SilverLinings

Visit site
And I suppose the police are unlikely to catch someone in the act of walking an unmuzzled XLB off-lead, so it would only be the public making reports, and the police have enough reports of other crimes (like thefts, DV and knife crimes etc) to keep their hands full so I doubt they have time to follow up on possible irresponsible dog owners. I would hope that the dog wardens do, but that may put them at risk of aggressive confrontation.

Sadly I expect that they only way the XLB 'ban' laws will be enforced is when owners are tried in court following an attack, when the fact their dog was unregistered/un-neutered/not insured/off-lead/unmuzzled will increase the severity of their sentence.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
And I suppose the police are unlikely to catch someone in the act of walking an unmuzzled XLB off-lead, so it would only be the public making reports, and the police have enough reports of other crimes (like thefts, DV and knife crimes etc) to keep their hands full so I doubt they have time to follow up on possible irresponsible dog owners. I would hope that the dog wardens do, but that may put them at risk of aggressive confrontation.

Sadly I expect that they only way the XLB 'ban' laws will be enforced is when owners are tried in court following an attack, when the fact their dog was unregistered/un-neutered/not insured/off-lead/unmuzzled will increase the severity of their sentence.
Unfortunately, I think that’s true 😢

SilverLinings

Visit site
Unfortunately, I think that’s true 😢
It would be great if the police could follow up on all the reports, but I understand why they don't have the capacity. Ideally following up on reports and spot-checking XLBs would reduce or prevent attacks on animals and humans, but the majority of the dogs won't kill someone, but the police have to follow up on a stabbing or child abuse incident etc where a crime is known to have already been committed.

It would have helped if the Gov't had provided the police with ring-fenced funding for this when the ban came in, or arranged another way of dealing with reports.

gunnergundog

Visit site

This is getting beyond a joke. The legislation was introduced and yet the deaths/injuries to both man and beast continue. I would hate it if I owned one, but is it time for a compulsory cull? Health and Safety seems to be OTT in so many walks of life, but not in this one.

SilverLinings

Visit site

This is getting beyond a joke. The legislation was introduced and yet the deaths/injuries to both man and beast continue. I would hate it if I owned one, but is it time for a compulsory cull? Health and Safety seems to be OTT in so many walks of life, but not in this one.
I am starting to wonder whether a large number of the XLB owners are so irresponsible (and cruel) that they no longer bother to walk their dogs regularly now that they need to go to the huge effort of attaching a lead and muzzle, so the dogs are becoming stressed and wound up and either turning on people in the house, or on strangers on the rare occasions they escape the confines of said house :(

SilverLinings

Visit site

I think this may be another, dog attacking pug. Why on earth wasn't an unmuzzled dog seized.
It's interesting that in the article the police appear to be saying they don't think it is an XLB, but it doesn't sound like they have been directly involved/spoken to the owner/seen the dog. It looks a lot like an XLB from the (fairly poor resolution) photos.

There needs to be much stricter punishment for dog attacks on other animals, a dog that does that is clearly displaying aggression and not under control.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Whatever that dog is it needs to be PTS, a serious attack on a dog that is on lead should also involve a big punishment for the owners. It’s about time these attacks stopped, whatever the breed we don’t need them around to attack other dogs and the owners need to realise the consequences of not having their dog under control , it’s getting to be too often now

Celtic Jewel

Visit site