Another fatal dog attack

SilverLinings

Visit site
I live on the outskirts in a relatively new build in a cul de sac and it is really quiet.
I will not walk my dogs from the house though, and drive 10 minutes away where it feels like I'm in the middle of nowhere.
I grew up on the farm that was where Greater Leys is now. My Dad was farm manager and we were there 12 years.
I'm glad I am on the side that backs onto nothing. I cannot think of anything worse that being in the middle of a built up area, wherever it is.
I think there are built up areas like that attached to all towns, not helped by the building of estates of houses in the 1950s-80s of all the same size/demographic, rather than mixing them up like you traditionally saw in towns and villages. Large areas of social monoculture (of any type, from social housing to expensive gated communities) never seem to produce the best communities to live in, groups of humans seem to work better when all ages and parts of society are present.

sarah.oxford

Visit site
I think there are built up areas like that attached to all towns, not helped by the building of estates of houses in the 1950s-80s of all the same size/demographic, rather than mixing them up like you traditionally saw in towns and villages. Large areas of social monoculture (of any type, from social housing to expensive gated communities) never seem to produce the best communities to live in, groups of humans seem to work better when all ages and parts of society are present.

I agree. The part that I live in has quite a variety of people of different backgrounds and ages.
Some of the houses are social housing and some privately owned.
I live next door to an agency carer, her other neighbor is a carer in a retirement home for nuns, the next couple along, the lady is a retired teacher. I am a private hire driver and dog agility trainer.
There are several bungalows across from us with retired and disabled people.
I keep myself to myself so apart from that I only really notice what dogs people have.
I know of one xl bully in my road. I've not seen it muzzled and I have seen them allow it to walk in and out of the front door, unleashed when the front gate is open directly onto the road. The gate is approx 10 ft from the front door, so highly irresponsible regardless of the breed.
So grateful that I am tucked away in the cul de sac at the far end of the row of 5 houses.
No passing traffic, human or otherwise.
If I win the lottery I will be straight out of here to somewhere remote, but there are worse places than my little house in it's quiet corner .

SilverLinings

Visit site
I know of one xl bully in my road. I've not seen it muzzled and I have seen them allow it to walk in and out of the front door, unleashed when the front gate is open directly onto the road. The gate is approx 10 ft from the front door, so highly irresponsible regardless of the breed.
So grateful that I am tucked away in the cul de sac at the far end of the row of 5 houses.
No passing traffic, human or otherwise.
If I win the lottery I will be straight out of here to somewhere remote, but there are worse places than my little house in it's quiet corner .

It amazes me that that sort of person will usually profess to love their dog (or 'furbaby') very much, sees no problem enabling them to get run over by leaving the gate open. And with the current ban on the breed you'd think that however much someone thinks that their dog is the exception and completely harmless, they would follow the rules to stop someone complaining and the dog being seized. A lot of the XLB owners really don't help the perception many of the rest of us have of the breed.

Re. housing, like you I will be moving if I get a lottery win! I think I will be here another ~3-4yrs before I can afford a nicer area, but it will do for now. Having a change of neighbours has made a massive difference, I had the neighbours from hell for a year but they were replaced by a normal family thank goodness.

Edited for poor spelling!

Last edited:

sarah.oxford

Visit site
It amazes me that that sort of person will usually profess to love their dog (or 'furbaby') very much, but sees no problem henabling them to get run over by leaving the gate open. And with the current ban on the breed you'd think that however much someone thinks that their dog is the exception and completely harmless, they would follow the rules to stop someone complaining and the dog being seized. A lot of the XLB owners really don't help the perception many of the rest of us have of the breed.

Re. housing, like you I will be moving if I get a lottery win! I think I will be here another ~3-4yrs before I can afford a nicer area, but it will do for now. Having a change of neighbours has made a massive difference, I had the neighbours from hell for a year but they were replaced by a normal family thank goodness.

I'm so with you on all of that.
You just reminded me of my previous neighbours. I don't even want to go into that but I wasn't sad when she left.

skinnydipper

Visit site

SilverLinings

Visit site
Why are people so stupid? Aside from the fact that rescues have limited facilities and funds so may need to PTS un-rehomable dogs anyway, in this case they are legally prevented from rehoming the dog. Would all the outraged people be happier if the dog was kept in a cage (kennel) for the rest of its life? I hope things settle down for the rescue, poor them.

I'm Dun

Visit site
My goodness .... 79 in a densely populated area is an awful lot. And that's just the registered ones.
I had a lovely relaxed hour in a secure field in the sunshine today, and although my area is not showing as high numbers as some, the numbers of them that I see around are enough that I very rarely walk from home. I drive to areas where I can see what's coming from a long way away, and I rarely see other dogs anyway. These places feel remote and are beautiful, yet only a 10 minute drive away. Different world.

I find once you get a mile or so out from any of the villages/estates you don't see another soul with a dog, just bikers and the occasional hiker. Its bliss!

I'm Dun

Visit site
It really is scary, and of course we have no way of knowing because I imagine those unregistered dogs will not be out and about terribly often, at least not in daylight.
The ones not getting out at all must be not in the best place mentally and the thought that they might be around kids is just awful.

I've only ever seen 1, in summertown about 7pm, not muzzled, not neutered and owner not paying attention, just bellowing at his mate at the takeaway van. I didn't get out of the car!

sarah.oxford

Visit site
I've only ever seen 1, in summertown about 7pm, not muzzled, not neutered and owner not paying attention, just bellowing at his mate at the takeaway van. I didn't get out of the car!

There is one I see regularly out and about road walking, with it's female owner.
I noticed that the muzzle, which is a Baskerville type looks really small for the dog.
She does seem to walk it quite far though, which is good as I've seen her 3 times leaving and entering a block of flats, which don't have gardens. Not ideal.

cauda equina

Visit site
"The 73-year-old was taken to hospital with serious injuries. The dog, an XL Bully is believed to have been living at the woman’s address at the time of the attack. The dog was put to sleep, while another dog also believed to be an XL Bully was taken into secure kennels.

"The owner of the dog has been spoken to and is co-operating with the investigation.

Sounds like another loving furbaby attacking its furmum/furgran

skinnydipper

Visit site
Sorry, not meaning to derail this but have to unload. Well, I have been a member of Protect Our Pets Facebook group since 2021 but I have been thrown out as I'm suspicious apparently 🤔. I'm a bit upset as it was a group I believed in hugely, trying to get dog on dog attacks made a criminal offence. I am apparently a possible XL owner trying to infiltrate the group!!

"I am sorry if we are doing you an injustice but I have discussed your case with the other admins and they are all adamant that we cannot trust you. We are tired of the harrassment and death threats we are receiving on a daily bases and need to be supercautious"

I have been a member for a long time but not a member now it seems because I don't have a photo on my FB profile and like my privacy. That's that then.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Our walk was curtailed twice this evening. Once by something huge and mastiff looking, taking more interest than I liked and with owner distracted on phone. Then bully what I thought/hoped from a distance was two Labs but on getting closer were bull-something. Maybe Staffie, which if I didn't have my own dog with me I would feel okay around, but if big enough to mistake for a Lab I'm thinking a rather over grown Staffie.

Our area wasn't as high as I thought it might be on that map. One part of town with the highest number didn't surprise me at all. Another part was conspicuous in not having any recorded. There will absolutely be a number there and very unlikely to be registered.

SilverLinings

Visit site
Perhaps some of the people showing videos of their dogs with tiny babies should take heed of what can happen with any breed of dog. So sad poor little girl
I can't believe that they didn't stop some time ago with the number of deaths and maulings in the press over the last couple of years, but some people seem determined to put their children in harm's way :mad: I suppose it is similar to the people who fall off cliffs when taking selfies, their drive for internet 'likes' blinds them to danger and completely over rules any common sense that they may have had.

paddy555

Visit site
I’m in TQ12, which is a huge physical area with over 53k people in it. It includes Newton Abbot - I live on the very edge, in open country/moorland. There are 44 registered in my area…
more civilised here only 13 over quite a wide geographical area.

interesting the difference in numbers between town/city and rural.

lizziebell

Visit site
Blackbird Leys had an unfortunate reputation back in the late 80s when I lived in Oxford, I learnt what joyriding was as a child overhearing older children at school talking about what went on there. I last drove past about five years ago and was disappointed to see that it doesn't seem to have changed a huge amount, I had hoped it might have become safer and quieter there for families. Friends who live in Oxford say that there is still regular talk of the area being 'improved' but it never actually happens, which is a real shame for the children growing up there as it's not the nicest environment.
I was just about to comment the same. It was a high crime area in 80s/ 90s when I lived in the Oxford area. The blackbird Leys joy riders were a regular feature on the local news.