Another fatal dog attack

Clodagh

Visit site
As people are unhappy with police firing live ammunition in a residential area, what other options are going to be as effective in immobilising the animal at a distance, so that it can be dealt with safely during an emergency? Would tranquilizer darts work?
I can’t see an alternative, but it would be better if the police could actually hit a barn door.

misst

Visit site
I would blame the police all day long for shooting in public like that. They have tasers which seem to be used now for dangerous dogs and to follow the dog down a road shooting it several times is way more dangerous than the dog was being at the time.
I have no problem at all to the police killing the dog if necessary so I don’t want want police shooting like that in public unless absolutely essential which it wasn’t.
Tasers are not especially effective on these dogs - there have been a few cases where they just rage on. I'm glad the poor thing cannot attack anyone else. I'm glad it is not cooped up in kennels waiting for a "decision" on it's future. I'm glad it's stupid owner cannot apply to the courts to get their dog back and waste public money on a pointless court case.
Shooting in the street is obviously not ideal and I get that maybe they were a bit cavalier in their running and shooting but these dogs kill people and I suspect with a raging XLB running about most people went indoors!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I would blame the police all day long for shooting in public like that. They have tasers which seem to be used now for dangerous dogs and to follow the dog down a road shooting it several times is way more dangerous than the dog was being at the time.
I have no problem at all to the police killing the dog if necessary so I don’t want want police shooting like that in public unless absolutely essential which it wasn’t.
Tasers, as you know, have 2 prongs. You need to be close enough and you need to deploy the taser so the 2 prongs are in a certain area and a certain distance apart to be effective. Please tell me how this works when they don't get to practice on dogs so you have no idea where to shoot? If you don't land the prongs in the correct area on a human, it won't be effective. It hasn't dropped people my OH has tasered on more than one occasion and his last one is being used as an expert video for training.

Lethal force was advocated and used effectively. There would have been other officers hopefully blocking the street but I don't see an alternative. Unpleasant for the dog and the witnesses, owner was an idiot. Had it been my husband, I'd be delighted he had a gun.

bonny

Visit site
Tasers, as you know, have 2 prongs. You need to be close enough and you need to deploy the taser so the 2 prongs are in a certain area and a certain distance apart to be effective. Please tell me how this works when they don't get to practice on dogs so you have no idea where to shoot?

Lethal force was advocated and used effectively. There would have been other officers hopefully blocking the street but I don't see an alternative. Unpleasant for the dog and the witnesses, owner was an idiot. Had it been my husband, I'd be delighted he had a gun.
I don’t imagine they practice shooting live dogs either so I don’t really get your point ?
I think we should wait a few days now and see what if anything the police say about what happened especially as there is a lot of guessing going on.

Birker2020

Visit site

Another XL bully attack, leaves woman with life changing injuries.
I am incredibly sceptical that people still feel there is an element of safety with these dogs, its evident to me that these attacks are much more than due to 'bad owners'. There's soomething in their make up, their breeding, and their genetics. They are ticking time bombs. I am always incredulous when someone says they are good dogs, or they are having bad press, the evidence points to the opposite and the numbers speak for themselves.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Once again the dog was a family pet, at least it was put down straight away . When will people realise that these dogs are dangerous and it doesn’t seem to matter what sort of a home they have, so many of them have turned into dangerous dogs … would be interesting to know that statistics like gender, age, if owned from puppy, length of time owned etc

wills_91

Visit site
Every so often I dip into this thread and wish I hadn't.

So annoyed that Scotland did not bring this law in line with the rest of the UK.

I know of 3 in our town brought up here from England "rescued" by exactly the type of person who shouldn't have a goldfish let alone a dog. Terrify me.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Lambs must be shortly after birth. Days I think. Doing it to a mature animal would be unspeakable.
I had a mule who was castrated with a lamb ring as a foal - it was the primary reason I got him, I wasn’t going to leave the poor thing with his ignorant owner - and it didn’t work either, he was a rig, and a pretty pissed off animal for his whole life.

Birker2020

Visit site

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
There are hundreds of dogs up and down the country being held pending the outcome of court cases at huge cost to the taxpayer.

Some of these dogs live in a cage for years and are never walked for fear of being attacked.
That's just cruel. They need to be PTS or the owners charged the full price of keeping them kennelled.

Birker2020

Visit site
If it ever happened to mine I would immediately ask they were PTS rather than put them through the hell of never leaving a kennel. It is incredibly selfish to leave your dog there in the hope you might get it back one day. The dog you get back won't be the one that went in anyway :(
Yes, I agree. Don't think owners have a say at that point though. Think there's one dog that's been kenelked without a walk for seven years. Disgusting.

Birker2020

Visit site
Some interesting reading

Freedom of Informationn Act
1720786836319.png

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I had a mule who was castrated with a lamb ring as a foal - it was the primary reason I got him, I wasn’t going to leave the poor thing with his ignorant owner - and it didn’t work either, he was a rig, and a pretty pissed off animal for his whole life.

Snap, but mine is a donkey. Also the only reason I bought him I just felt so sorry for the terrified little mite. Only half a job done but he does not show any riggish behaviour at all thank goodness. It has taken us nearly 15 years to totally rehabilitate and reassure him though. 😢

I'm Dun

Visit site

If only it had been muzzled.....

Oh god, that made me sob. I hope whoever owns those dogs went away and had them PTS. I doubt it though :( Having seen my lovely older whippet mauled by a lab, I cant imagine what seeing a smaller dog attacked by XL bullies is like.

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site