Another fatal dog attack

SilverLinings

Visit site
I haven't heard about any prosecutions for not wearing a lead or muzzle or not having an XLB licensed, except in cases where the dog has attacked and owner ended up in court because of that, has anyone else seen any? I realise the police are very busy, but I can see why a certain sort of owner isn't bothering to comply as there appears to be no punishment.

fiwen30

Visit site

If only it had been muzzled.....
I don’t know how you get over something like that, I really don’t.

Yes the presumed owner made herself known to police, but if the damned thing had been muzzled appropriately and/or had any modicum of training and control, the likelihood of that happening would’ve decreased significantly.

Outside of the vet reception, it’s been years since I’ve let my lad within lunging distance of a strange dog. We cross the street, or take alternate walking routes. I guess that doesn’t matter when these monsters still get away from their handlers to come over and murder something.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Recent dog fatality nearish me by what looks very much like an XL bully. They were just walking on the pavement and looks like it came up off lead. Quelle fecking surprise. Thankfully the post I read it on indicated that police and dog warden involved and wanting to speak to XL owner. I hope this means dog on dog attacks are being taken more seriously.

misst

Visit site
Every time I read something like this I feels sick and frightened for my small dogs. I understand there is a very low chance of it happening to me, there are few dogs of this type in my area but my fear is growing even if it is not rational. I have started to "look out" for big chunky dogs and avoid them completely. I have twice seen a lady walking, what I am pretty sure, is an XLB on a fixed lead but no muzzle. She avoids everyone but the dog pulls and I do not think she can hold it if it really wants to go. I haven't challenged her or taken a photo as I have been alone with 2 sometimes 3 small dogs so not up for a confrontation. I am quite afraid of starting anything especially when I am not really sure it is definitely and XLB. By contrast the French Mastiff and his lovely owner remain a pleasure to meet anyday!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Every time I read something like this I feels sick and frightened for my small dogs. I understand there is a very low chance of it happening to me, there are few dogs of this type in my area but my fear is growing even if it is not rational. I have started to "look out" for big chunky dogs and avoid them completely. I have twice seen a lady walking, what I am pretty sure, is an XLB on a fixed lead but no muzzle. She avoids everyone but the dog pulls and I do not think she can hold it if it really wants to go. I haven't challenged her or taken a photo as I have been alone with 2 sometimes 3 small dogs so not up for a confrontation. I am quite afraid of starting anything especially when I am not really sure it is definitely and XLB. By contrast the French Mastiff and his lovely owner remain a pleasure to meet anyday!

I feel the same as 2 of mine are tiny terriers and very friendly so wouldn’t expect an attack and my lurcher is whippet size, only 16kg and a wimp so he wouldn’t stand a chance with a big dog…
It’s very scarey

SilverLinings

Visit site
I don't envy the emergency workers who have to deal with dog attacks, the injuries that they deal with must be pretty grim, as well as the fear of the dog(s) still being around if they haven't been caught yet.

There's a little more detail here, the breed of the dog hasn't been confirmed but it is not thought to be a banned breed:

skinnydipper

Visit site

cauda equina

Visit site

I'm Dun

Visit site
It’s being reported that the lady had a seizure. It’s not unheard of for dogs to ‘attack’ in those situations. It’s also not reported as being a banned breed.

Yeah I don't think this is the same as all the XL bully attacks. Sadly dogs attacking when people have seizures does happen and its not a genetic flaw in the dog through bad breeding or bad owners, its just an instinctual things.

misst

Visit site
That poor child . That puncture wound is very close to some serious anatomy! She could be called lucky though obviously isn't.

skinnydipper

Visit site
Oh she's definitely lucky! The dog obviously "went for the jugular", and I bet she was shaken too. Just shows you how inate the kill instinct is with these dogs.

"It is reported that the child was in the garden of a neighbouring property where the XL Bully was housed.

The dog has attacked the child, aggressively ragged their head side and side and bitten their neck, causing serious laceration injuries. The bleeding was controlled and their injuries are not believing to be life-threatening."

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
You would think that a Pom wouldn’t be a serious danger to an adult but a bull mastiff would. Yet another with a large dog in a flat… I know many people have dogs in flats successfully and their dogs have good lives, but it requires a lot of work to exercise as there is usually no enclosed space for dogs to let off steam. I had my dog in a flat for a short while and it was a pain putting her on the lead to go downstairs just to go for a wee.. luckily I managed to move to a house with a decent garden so it was only a few months

Dobiegirl

Visit site
You would think that a Pom wouldn’t be a serious danger to an adult but a bull mastiff would. Yet another with a large dog in a flat… I know many people have dogs in flats successfully and their dogs have good lives, but it requires a lot of work to exercise as there is usually no enclosed space for dogs to let off steam. I had my dog in a flat for a short while and it was a pain putting her on the lead to go downstairs just to go for a wee.. luckily I managed to move to a house with a decent garden so it was only a few months
The daily fail are saying its a Rottie cross.