Another fatal dog attack

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Well they could just pts these dogs

From the DM article - I found this absolutely shocking
It sounds as if this particular dog should have been pts straight away
SCOTTISH KENNEL OWNER MAULED, LEAVING HIS FIVE KIDS ORPHANS

Adam Watts, 55, was attacked at the Juniper Kennels and Cattery in Kirkton of Auchterhouse, near Dundee, and was pronounced dead at the scene on December 22 in 2021.

The bully - who was involved in an incident with another dog - had been put into the care of Mr Watts' kennels by police after being seized under warrant in August.

Tributes were paid to Mr Watts online after news of his death broke, with one dog charity praising his 'gentle, calm nature' in trying to gain the trust of abused animals in his care.

Mr Watts left behind five sons, aged between 10 and 18, who lost their mother Eileen Watts in 2013 to cancer, at the age of 46.

I agree, these dogs should be pts . Yes some might have good temperaments but I suspect the majority of people wanting to rehome one would be the wrong sort of owner.

I really don't know what the answer is, it is all very well calling for a ban, but pit bulls were banned back when the DDA came in. That didn't exactly work did it.

stangs

Visit site
Ah, so the several deaths that occured whilst dogs were being walked would have been prevented then. What people do at home is down to them, and a certain Darwinian element will apply there.
It's rarely the owners dying - it's their children, parents, and friends that are being killed. Don't think it's appropriate for you to mock them for dying in a stupid way unless you think you would somehow survive an attack?

Reactions: JJS

SadKen

Visit site
Please explain how muzzling these dogs would not have stopped a fatality?
Muzzling dogs in public only stops attacks in public.

Jack Lis was killed in a friend’s home

Bella Rae Birch was killed at home

Adam Watts killed at the kennels, not a public place

Keven Jones killed at home

Joanne Robinson killed at home

Shirley Patrick killed at home

Alice Stones killed at home

Jonathon Hogg killed at a friends home

You could potentially argue that muzzles would have saved the two dog walkers, on those particular days but since they were interacting with the dogs regularly (one was the owner) chances are this would have happened at another time, not in public, therefore a muzzle law is not the answer.

See the list above for my evidence.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Muzzling dogs in public only stops attacks in public.

Jack Lis was killed in a friend’s home

Bella Rae Birch was killed at home

Adam Watts killed at the kennels, not a public place

Keven Jones killed at home

Joanne Robinson killed at home

Shirley Patrick killed at home

Alice Stones killed at home

Jonathon Hogg killed at a friends home

You could potentially argue that muzzles would have saved the two dog walkers, on those particular days but since they were interacting with the dogs regularly (one was the owner) chances are this would have happened at another time, not in public, therefore a muzzle law is not the answer.

See the list above for my evidence.
I agree that those people would not have been protected by muzzles, but then people do have a choice to stay away from those dogs, apart from kids.

I have a friend who has 3 XL Bullies. I would not choose to go to her house. I can choose to stay away, despite assurances that the dogs are friendly. A neighbour also has one. I choose not to go there either.

When they are out and about, off the lead, I have no choice. They can appear suddenly and come at me from behind. If I saw one in a park, I would not go in the park, but in public spaces, they can come and get me.

As children don't have a choice, as a previous poster says, maybe they should be banned from houses with children? Muzzled when in the same space as children? Muzzled and leashed in public. No more than 2 dogs per adult (although I don't think an adult could effectively restrain 2 wound up Bullies).

Some may be friendly, but it is their pure power that makes them dangerous IMO.

Clodagh

Visit site
I agree that those people would not have been protected by muzzles, but then people do have a choice to stay away from those dogs, apart from kids.

I have a friend who has 3 XL Bullies. I would not choose to go to her house. I can choose to stay away, despite assurances that the dogs are friendly. A neighbour also has one. I choose not to go there either.

When they are out and about, off the lead, I have no choice. They can appear suddenly and come at me from behind. If I saw one in a park, I would not go in the park, but in public spaces, they can come and get me.

As children don't have a choice, as a previous poster says, maybe they should be banned from houses with children? Muzzled when in the same space as children? Muzzled and leashed in public. No more than 2 dogs per adult (although I don't think an adult could effectively restrain 2 wound up Bullies).

The trouble is it’s impossible to clarify what breed they are. So all dogs would have to be muzzled and leashed.
It needs to be at least manslaughter if your dog kills someone ‘ being out of control’ fgs. These dogs have been weaponised and need treating as such.

stangs

Visit site

Babies and children are killed by many different breeds - you’d have to have them all muzzled around children, from Akita to JRT, if you wanted to truly guarantee children’s safety. And how would you police dogs being muzzled when a friend’s kid comes over?

I do agree with no more than 2 dogs per adult though, but I think this should apply to all large breeds, with exemptions for qualified folk and people who use them for work and sport.

I’m not a mastiff fan but you look at mastiffs nowadays and they look cuddly compared to the cold stare from these bullie type things.
Last month, on a new walk route, I met two bullies who were very friendly but not boisterous, and one Presa who kept watching me, tail up, until I was out of sight. Definitely wouldn’t have called him cuddly.

I love a mastiff, but the only thing stopping them from becoming the next bully is that they’re currently out of fashion (and that the bully hasn’t been banned yet).

Besides, I’m pretty sure XL bullies qualify to be called mastiffs.

SadKen

Visit site
If the muzzle law could be applied to XL and American bullies only, Red would have a good case. If that could be done, we could legislate so breeders pay a hefty fee to breed them, offer free neutering with the funds, demand owners have dog licences and commit to training classes… but we can’t. Blanket laws are the only option, and the people who have these won’t follow the rules whilst the rest of us law abiding folks feel obliged to.

Having said that, I’ve said it before, but I am not paying for two pointless dog licences and depriving my dogs of their only defence against an attacking dog or any human who decides to have a go (unlikely but not impossible) by muzzling them, making them pay a price when the imbeciles with the ACTUAL dangerous dogs ignore the whole lot and not a single thing will be done about it.

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
How many of us/you have dogs roaming around when there are visitors/family/kids or kids' pals around? I am not inundated with visitors but if I do have them, I put the dogs away so that no one is made to feel uncomfortable, dogs, people or me. One dog in particular is fairly neutral to people outside the home but not averse to a head scratch, but is visibly upset and grumbly when other people are in the home, even people he was previously friendly with. The small one goes ballistic with happiness and knocks things/people over and the middle one is just an overbearing oaf with no boundaries and will climb on peoples' laps despite being around 40kg. So, not really fun for anyone.

When I look at, for instance, yer man with the Romanian rescue, he is missing all the big flashing warning signs that she is deeply unhappy, particularly when there are visitors and a camera shoved in her face, but carries on oblivious and thousands of followers think it is SO CUTE/HE IS DOING SUCH A GOOD JOB. He is just very lucky that she is so scared she hasn't bitten anyone.
Bull breeds aside, I think there needs to be much more education and awareness about how we and kids act around dogs in the home, when sights, sounds, smells and movement can all be very triggering. 'But they're just one of the family' is a nice sentiment but it is not an appropriate situation for a lot of dogs, my mother just got bit by a cousin's dog this week because it was shooed off a chair by the family for her to sit down. Massively unfair on both the dog and my mother. Tiny dog, still crap handling of the situation.

stangs

Visit site
Having said that, I’ve said it before, but I am not paying for two pointless dog licences and depriving my dogs of their only defence against an attacking dog or any human who decides to have a go (unlikely but not impossible) by muzzling them, making them pay a price when the imbeciles with the ACTUAL dangerous dogs ignore the whole lot and not a single thing will be done about it.
Blatant NIMBYism. You own a breed that many people are afraid of, and that can easily injure someone or someone’s pet, but you think any fool should be able to buy one? Do you think it’s fair for intelligent breeds to be owned by people who know nothing about dogs, just because you don’t want to pay for a license?

You think your dogs should have the right to fight back, but you’re happy for a friendly bully to be deprived of their defences? Bullies get attacked just like any dog.

some show

Visit site
I agree, these dogs should be pts . Yes some might have good temperaments but I suspect the majority of people wanting to rehome one would be the wrong sort of owner.

I really don't know what the answer is, it is all very well calling for a ban, but pit bulls were banned back when the DDA came in. That didn't exactly work did it.

And the good responsible owners who want this type of dog are unlikely to take a chance on a history unknown dog of this type.
I think the problem is that Hope Rescue (and a lot of rescues) have a mission statement that says 'We do not discriminate against the dogs we help based on their breed, age or medical condition. No adoptable dog is unnecessarily euthanised due to space or time constraints'. So they can't refuse to treat/help one type of dog, and probably if they were found to be PTS healthy bull breeds (or ones with minor medical issues) there would be public outcry - rescues can't really win.

Aside from that, I think it would take a pretty stony heart to look at a dog and just say 'off to the vets with it' because it's got a big head or too much muscle without even assessing its temperament - and then it becomes a case of where do you draw the line? Do you include all the french bulldogs in this or only the dogs over a certain height/weight? It's very difficult.

On the plus side, a decent rescue like Hope has very stringent rehoming policies (the ones people complain about when they get refused a dog) which may mean the dogs stay with them for a while but it's doubtful the unsavoury types will have the patience or get anywhere trying to rehome from them.

CorvusCorax

Visit site
There are still dog licences in one jurisdiction of the UK, it's twelve quid, not a hardship.

I personally am happy to pay for or adopt measures which improve safety and reputation for everyone.

It's not just about me or my dogs and my bubble. I have grown up always having it impressed upon me that the dogs we keep have not always had a good reputation and it is incumbent upon me as an owner and lover of that breed to do whatever I can to improve that reputation and own good ambassadors for that breed. Also why I am loathe to say 'why does anyone want that sort of dog', as a lot of people probably say that about me. There are lots of dogs I would never want to own but no one else needs to hear that.

And when you see what is coming down the tracks from Europe in terms of animal rights, owning a pet dog is not going to get any easier.

SadKen

Visit site
Blatant NIMBYism. You own a breed that many people are afraid of, and that can easily injure someone or someone’s pet, but you think any fool should be able to buy one? Do you think it’s fair for intelligent breeds to be owned by people who know nothing about dogs, just because you don’t want to pay for a license?

You think your dogs should have the right to fight back, but you’re happy for a friendly bully to be deprived of their defences? Bullies get attacked just like any dog.
I already said repeatedly that muzzles aren’t the answer. I said Red had a good case, I didn’t say I agreed, and I don’t. But it would be a good case, ie ‘muzzle all xl bullies’ would make the ‘must do something’ crowd happy, which would probably be the option taken by those making legislation if it was practicable - see banned breeds for an example - but it isn’t practicable, and as I said only a couple of posts up, muzzling wouldn’t have saved the people who have died anyway. You can read my other posts on this topic to check if you like.

I don’t believe banning breeds is the answer for similar reasons that I don’t believe targeted muzzling in legislation is the answer.

stangs

Visit site
Nope. Definitely not.

Do not drag mastiffs into it. Thank you.
What do you mean "don't drag mastiffs into it"? This is a thread on fatal dog attacks, and several mastiffs and mastiff-crosses (Neapolitan, American bulldog, Bullmastiffs, Presas, etc.) have killed people in the UK. They have "standoffishness to strangers" in their breed standard. They were bred to be dogs that could guard, and therefore kill if necessary. I have nothing against mastiffs - my favourite breeds are all mastiffs - but they're very powerful animals and should be considered accordingly.

XL bullies are partially descended from American bulldogs, a mastiff breed. They have the features of a mastiff based on size, head and muzzle shape, and general appearance. Both mastiffs and XL bullies have been used as weapons/guard dogs.

The only real argument against bullies being mastiffs is that bullies are supposed to be friendly to strangers, but I presume that's not the line of thinking you're going for.

SadKen

Visit site
There are still dog licences in one jurisdiction of the UK, it's twelve quid, not a hardship.

I personally am happy to pay for or adopt measures which improve safety and reputation for everyone.

It's not just about me or my dogs and my bubble. I have grown up always having it impressed upon me that the dogs we keep have not always had a good reputation and it is incumbent upon me as an owner and lover of that breed to do whatever I can to improve that reputation and own good ambassadors for that breed. Also why I am loathe to say 'why does anyone want that sort of dog', as a lot of people probably say that about me. There are lots of dogs I would never want to own but no one else needs to hear that.

And when you see what is coming down the tracks from Europe in terms of animal rights, owning a pet dog is not going to get any easier.
I’d pay for a licence if a) reasonably priced, 12 quid is fine b) ring fenced for dog related improvements c) the legislation for not having one had teeth and tied to the microchip.And anyone without a licence isn’t insured for their dog for healthcare, the punishment if your dog injures another dog or human is infinitely more severe.

Of course that would require the existing legislation to have teeth in the first place.

stangs

Visit site
To call the mutant XL bully a mastiff is a bit of a stretch
Again, can you provide a reason for this?

They're not 'mutants'; they didn't magically appear overnight after being injected with werewolf venom. They're dogs that have been bred over generations to be big and powerful, just like mastiffs.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Lots of these bully breeds are easily available on line so maybe there could be a crackdown on back yard type breeders of all breeds, especially the larger, potentially lethal types.. at the moment I could buy a large bully breed dog and wouldn’t have to satisfy any regulations to own one. I am 77 and know I can manage my 2 little terriers and mywhippet cross and no way could I manage a large breed but it would be sold to me with no questions asked.. There should be a way of licensing so that unsuitable people are not able to have large dangerous breeds of dog.. and homes with children under a certain age shouldn’t be able to have them.. I know many people have large breeds that are good family dogs but it seems that there are many who are not… I don’t know what the answer is but feel that sites like pets4homes, freeads, gumtree, preloved could maybe stop selling certain breeds now who have been known to maim and kill humans and not wait for the breed to be banned.

skinnydipper

Visit site
Again, can you provide a reason for this?

They're not 'mutants'; they didn't magically appear overnight after being injected with werewolf venom. They're dogs that have been bred over generations to be big and powerful, just like mastiffs.

Don't be silly.

XL bullies are a relatively new breed, bred from APBT.

XL bullies could possibly be classed as a molosser, a group which includes bull breeds and mastiffs.

Last edited:

CorvusCorax

Visit site
Another thing to remember, repeating myself I know, is that people are getting hung up on the 'bull' element. Which provides the brute strength and size.

The tenacity and fighting spirit, the bit that makes the dog keep going and going and going (see the fawn dog in the video that could not be stopped) comes from the terrier. Nobody likes to think about that, but there it is.
A big dog with no desire or drive isn't in itself, a massive danger.

CorvusCorax

Visit site
The aggression is coming from the terrier blood - I have seen similar behaviour in purebred terriers, the only difference is they are smaller, cuter and fuzzy-wuzzy, personal preference does not override genetics. People might not like it, but there it is. It's why English and French bulldogs don't go around attacking people, it's why we call aggressive or persistent people 'like terriers', it's why they get sent after foxes and badgers. You can't 'ban' the bull part without banning the 'terrier' part.

CorvusCorax

Visit site
All dogs on the restricted breeds list in the Republic of Ireland, have to be muzzled and kept on a short line in public, along with a raft of other stipulations. Not very often adhered to but a lot of people do use headcollars as it gives the look of a muzzle. They are also not permitted to be owned by tenants of public housing but there was utter uproar when there was a crackdown about ten years ago. The boxer was on it but later removed due to a campaign by breed enthusiasts.

American Pit Bull Terrier
English Bull Terrier
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Bull Mastiff
Dobermann Pinscher
Rottweiler
German Shepherd
Rhodesian Ridgeback
Akita
Japanese Tosa
Bandog

Last edited:

SadKen

Visit site
It also stops everyone out in public near those dogs from being fearful that they might be attacked and killed at any moment.
You might not like this, but everyone’s fear is theirs to manage; it is not up to dog owners to take action to lessen other people’s fear. It IS up to them to control their dog and ensure it doesn’t interact with anyone or anything it isn’t supposed to. If the dog is a bite risk it should be muzzled. If it has no recall it should be on a lead. Dog owners have a moral duty to ensure their dogs are trained. But it doesn’t have to be muzzled unnecessarily because you are frightened, nor should it. Everyone has different fears and fear doesn’t give a right to impose on other people’s lives beyond the law. I know a couple of people locally are frightened of horses, they would like to stop the horses going on a local train track due to their fear. Not reasonable, the rights of the riders take priority over those people’s fears.

In this case there is no way of enforcing muzzles on a specific breed. It is also unreasonable and unenforceable to impose a blanket ‘muzzled in public all breeds all the time’, so the point is moot.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Sadken you can't control other people's dogs.

Your dismissal of fear as something which can be controlled is unreasonable. If fear is justified, which in the case of these dogs it now clearly is, then removing that fear is counter productive.

You think the right of your dog not to have to wear a muzzle trumps the rights of humans to be out in public without fear.

I disagree with you. Your dog's current legal right not to wear a light cage on their face should not outrank any human's right to feel safe.

You will no doubt argue that bad owners won't use them, but that would act as a very clear signal to people to leave the area.

If there were also dog wardens financed by a decent licence fee, then the problem would be more than likely largely cracked.