Another fatal dog attack

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Like many pet dog owners, I was unaware (as in I've never given it any thought) as to what time of day you'd be training your dog sledge team, so thanks for the clarifications.

As an amateur, I did think what the feck would anyone be doing out with 19 dogs at 11 pm in early March.

Jenko109

Visit site
My initial thought was that they were out so late because the dogs are perhaps a bit of a liability with other dogs/a concern to the public.

But I guess it does make sense to be out at unsociable hours to have the tracks to yourself.

SadKen

Visit site
This piece describes an attack back in April and the damage to the victim who doesn’t want his mate’s pack of dogs PTS

He is very generous.

How much does anyone want to bet that the owner won’t keep up with the legal requirement to muzzle his dogs off his property?

What about if they got out?

I could startle mine abc shout at them, argue in front of other people and they still wouldn’t attack anyone and rip their ears off. It is not reasonable and there is something very wrong with the temperament of this related pack.

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
I'd forgotten about this for many years, but the late minister of the church my Dad went to had a child killed by a pack of sled dog when he lived/worked in a very remote part of Canada and she wandered into the area where they were staked out.

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
This piece describes an attack back in April and the damage to the victim who doesn’t want his mate’s pack of dogs PTS

He is very generous.

How much does anyone want to bet that the owner won’t keep up with the legal requirement to muzzle his dogs off his property?

What about if they got out?

I could startle mine abc shout at them, argue in front of other people and they still wouldn’t attack anyone and rip their ears off. It is not reasonable and there is something very wrong with the temperament of this related pack.

I think that's serious enough for the courts to decide on rather than the wishes of the injured party.

Some of mine have been aroused by shouting/fighting/high pitched noises (they don't mind it from me, that's the difference) and one is like Begbie where if there's a fight, he'll try and join in even though it has nothing to do with him, but then again I don't have them out wandering about when I have company in the house, purely because they are territorial and don't want to make them or my visitors to feel uncomfortable.

Last edited:

SadKen

Visit site
I think that's serious enough for the courts to decide on rather than the wishes of the injured party.

Some of mine have been aroused by shouting/fighting/high pitched noises (they don't mind it from me, that's the different) and one is like Begbie where if there's a fight, he'll try and join in even though it has nothing to do with him, but then again I don't have them out wandering about when I have company in the house, purely because they are territorial and don't want to make them or my visitors to feel uncomfortable.
Begbie 😂

Apparently the police are treating it as a civil matter. The dogs were seized and returned after an hour, according to the piece.

fiwen30

Visit site
That’s wild that the dogs were released.

As an owner, I don’t think I would’ve wanted them back after they did that to someone, no matter how much I loved them. There’s no way of knowing that another ‘freak accident’ wouldn’t happen again. Completely irresponsible to keep dogs that have already done that sort of damage alive.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Yeah, dog teams can be scary!

At my old yard, we had a very a short loop of rideable forestry trails. There was a chap and family who occasionally used it to train their husky team. At like 4pm. They would park their van at one entrance and the wife would stay with the van, warning horse riders and dog walkers not to go in. Never mind the ethics of blocking off a popular dog walking trail in the afternoon!! There wouldn’t be anyone at the other entrance, however, so any idiot could wander in, happily oblivious. I did once and encountered the chap with a team of three youngsters pulling a tricycle thing. We had a very nervous stand off. Neither one of us was sure how our critters would react. But I managed to inch the horse past and the dogs stayed put.

Jenko109

Visit site
Why are sled dog teams so seemingly dangerous?

As for the dogs which were allowed back to their owner after that attack. Gobsmacked and disgusted.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Why are sled dog teams so seemingly dangerous?

As for the dogs which were allowed back to their owner after that attack. Gobsmacked and disgusted.

I will caveat this by saying I know bupkes about driving dogs. I have a friend who does it for a living in Norway, though, so I suppose I could ask him how much control the musher actually has over their dog team.

That said, it seems to me that you have a pack of high prey drive dogs, excited and running together, and they are all operating on voice commands and the position of your body-weight in the sled. There are no lines directly connecting you to the dogs (unlike driving a horse). Your control is entirely dependant on training. If you have a young team and you encounter, say, a horse, can you stop the dogs from chasing?

Clearly the people near my ex-yard didn't think they had much control; otherwise, they would not have bothered (doing an admittedly half-a$$ed job of) stopping other dog owners and horse riders from using the trails when they were running their dogs.

stangs

Visit site
And another death.
Now is it a pit, in which case the article's referring to it as a banned 'breed' is a mistake, or is it one of other breeds, in which case you would have thought the article would be making a big fuss about it? Either way, yet more evidence that BSL doesn't work.

As an aside, has anyone else been noticing an increase of suspiciously tall staffies in their area?

SadKen

Visit site
social media suggests the Warwickshire attack was by the son’s dog on his mother in their garden.

This is going to keep happening. I doubt the dog will be a banned breed but I’ve no doubt at all it’ll be a bull breed. A dog can be bred from a pit bull and something else eg mastiff, be unbelievably powerful and poorly tempered, and not be considered a banned breed because its measurements are TOO BIG to be a banned breed. More dangerous than a pit, yet not banned.

Still, a national register, dog licences and all dogs on leads in public places, preferably muzzled, will stop this. Except it won’t, even a tiny bit, but the ‘something must be done’ crew will feel better. Sigh.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
social media suggests the Warwickshire attack was by the son’s dog on his mother in their garden.

This is going to keep happening. I doubt the dog will be a banned breed but I’ve no doubt at all it’ll be a bull breed. A dog can be bred from a pit bull and something else eg mastiff, be unbelievably powerful and poorly tempered, and not be considered a banned breed because its measurements are TOO BIG to be a banned breed. More dangerous than a pit, yet not banned.

Still, a national register, dog licences and all dogs on leads in public places, preferably muzzled, will stop this. Except it won’t, even a tiny bit, but the ‘something must be done’ crew will feel better. Sigh.

So many of these attacks seem to be in the home so it’s about time it was made more difficult to have a dog that is capable of killing an adult. I know a smaller dog can also kill but it does seem that more and more people want large dogs without having the knowledge or capability to manage them safely. Soon none of us will be able to enjoy walking our dogs off lead and unmuzzled ☹️☹️

cauda equina

Visit site