Another fatal dog attack

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Horrific. 😢 What a terrifying experience for that girl. That was a sustained attack. I don’t understand why the person filming didn’t shout to distract the dogs, unless they thought they’d then be attacked too.

SadKen

Visit site
Horrific. 😢 What a terrifying experience for that girl. That was a sustained attack. I don’t understand why the person filming didn’t shout to distract the dogs, unless they thought they’d then be attacked too.
They were going for her face. I honestly think that could have been a fatality.

From the interaction, and this is a guess, I think she was with the man walking them rather than a stranger to the dogs. She seemed frightened of him and was seemingly trying to obey his instructions yet unwilling to get away from the scene. All speculation of course.

I wouldn’t have made a noise to distract those dogs unless I was in a car. It’s far too high a risk.

Dexter

Visit site
That video sums up the modern bull breed to me, and those of you that are fans and think anyone should be able to own them, words fail me.

Why would anyone want a dog like that? There is just no need for them in the modern world. I don't care how many brilliant ones there are, there's enough of them out there killing and maiming to make me think anyone who has them is either absolutely idiotic or has them for nefarious reasons.

SadKen

Visit site
That video sums up the modern bull breed to me, and those of you that are fans and think anyone should be able to own them, words fail me.
Those ones weren’t even very big. The ones by me are much taller and much more muscly than that, with far bigger heads. The one I passed at close quarters recently (growled at my boy and had a right death stare on it) was as tall as he is, and he’s a regular size GSD.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Those ones weren’t even very big. The ones by me are much taller and much more muscly than that, with far bigger heads. The one I passed at close quarters recently (growled at my boy and had a right death stare on it) was as tall as he is, and he’s a regular size GSD.
I was just trying to work out their relative size and wondering about that. Some of the ones round where we live are certainly stockier than those and probably taller too.

SadKen

Visit site
I was just trying to work out their relative size and wondering about that. Some of the ones round where we live are certainly stockier than those and probably taller too.
They look more like either a slightly bigger staff or a pit bull. If they meet pit measurements it’s a crime to own one. The taller, musclier, bigger jawed ones are perfectly legal.

I remember seeing some horror of a dog on a British police tv show (something like traffic cops). The copper had a police dog, came round the corner of an alleyway looking for a crim and this massive dog went straight for them. Scary as hell.

stangs

Visit site
They look too lithe and athletic to be XL bullies imo. Possibly a classic type, or just a straight up pit.

I wonder if pack mentality was at play? My lot will all be a bit silly if the doorbell goes and they decide to all have a little bark. Obviously, I discourage this, I don't like barking at the bell.
Pack mentality, and a ‘prey’ that moved away and made high pitched sounds. There was no way the owner was going to get them all under control on his own.

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
Agree they just look like pits and also, not victim blaming at all, agree that she made a lot of prey noise and movement and the three dogs were essentially in competition for the prey item (the girl) and they were going for the bits of the body that were presented to them (in defence) and where the noise was coming from (face). She didn't do anything 'right' or 'wrong', no one knows how they would react, the dogs were behaving as predators and completely out of control.

I don't think we can compare our own pet dogs barking at stimuli.

some show

Visit site
Christ almighty, it's awful to watch these big bull breeds when they attack. Big lumps of muscle with prey drive and super-strong jaws, owned primarily by people who either can't or won't control them. Fantastic.

There's someone in my town with two XL bullies who have so far killed one small dog and sent another two to the vets - and the bloke couldn't give less of a toss about it. And of course they're still roaming out and about. I'm genuinely worried about them (the powerful dogs and the idiots) becoming more prevalent in my area.

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
Watching again, the fawn dog is the danger for sure. Others not so serious.

Again, heat of the moment stuff but if you or your dog or someone you are with gets bit and the dog hangs on...DO NOT PULL them or it. Increases the fight in the dog and makes for more serious injuries.

Anyone with worries in their area might be as well to carry a very thin slip line. A belt or any dog lead looped through the handle will do same job. Very high up around the neck, behind the ears.

SadKen

Visit site
The piece itself was an interesting read, especially noting the observations from the Brighton vet. The comments full of BrinG BaCK DoG LiCencEs and aLL DogS mUSt beE MuZzLeD iN PubLiC - none of which would have stopped any of these deaths, by the way.

That’s the way this is going and the only people who won’t be affected are the type of imbecile whose weapon, sorry dog of choice is an XL bully.

Really, really sad to see ‘celebrity’ imbeciles proudly posting photographs of themselves with a dog that has been maimed in the name of vanity.

some show

Visit site
They're also contributing to the massive strain on UK dog rescues at the moment. Hope Rescue near me are having bull breeds dumped on them constantly, usually with expensive medical issues and badly cropped ears.

Screenshot-2023-06-08-at-09-55-04.png

cauda equina

Visit site
Well they could just pts these dogs

From the DM article - I found this absolutely shocking
It sounds as if this particular dog should have been pts straight away
SCOTTISH KENNEL OWNER MAULED, LEAVING HIS FIVE KIDS ORPHANS

Adam Watts, 55, was attacked at the Juniper Kennels and Cattery in Kirkton of Auchterhouse, near Dundee, and was pronounced dead at the scene on December 22 in 2021.

The bully - who was involved in an incident with another dog - had been put into the care of Mr Watts' kennels by police after being seized under warrant in August.

Tributes were paid to Mr Watts online after news of his death broke, with one dog charity praising his 'gentle, calm nature' in trying to gain the trust of abused animals in his care.

Mr Watts left behind five sons, aged between 10 and 18, who lost their mother Eileen Watts in 2013 to cancer, at the age of 46.

stangs

Visit site
Please explain how muzzling these dogs would not have stopped a fatality?
A blanket law of muzzling in public will not prevent fatalities at home. The majority of the attacks listed in that article happened on private property.

Unfortunately, you can't trust people to put away their dogs or muzzle them at home when the situation calls for it.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
A blanket law of muzzling in public will not prevent fatalities at home. The majority of the attacks listed in that article happened on private property.

Unfortunately, you can't trust people to put away their dogs or muzzle them at home when the situation calls for it.
Ah, so the several deaths that occured whilst dogs were being walked would have been prevented then. What people do at home is down to them, and a certain Darwinian element will apply there.