Another fatal dog attack

NinjaPony

Visit site
Honestly at this point I think it would be better if dogs had to be kept on leads in all public places, except for clearly marked areas. Eg dogs off lead on certain beaches October-March, between 8am-4pm or something like that. Make off-lead the exception, with designated areas, and on lead the assumption. It’s just getting absurd. Most people here are experienced and responsible owners, I really wish it was forum dogs we were all meeting rather than everyone else’s dogs!

paddy555

Visit site
But also the way the media works is that because dogs are a hot topic right now they jump on every single incident. Of course even one bite is one too many but think of how many pet dogs there are in the UK (something like 12 million) so while we clearly have an issue I’m not sure draconian measures are required for the average pet dog at the moment.
There does however need to be a complete overhaul of dog ownership though - but I’m just repeating myself now.
I don't think it bad that the media are jumping on every incident. It may warn people who would never have considered a dog could attack or their kids couldn't go and kiss every strange dog they meet. It may also tighten up on some of the bully owners if they think their dog could be banned/destroyed etc
They are also nasty and dangerous incidents. Someone getting mauled by a dog is certainly newsworthy.

There is also the point in dog control to realise that not only do many people not like dogs and don't want loose dogs coming up to them they are also genuinely scared.That is not just bullys but any dog. Dog owners seem to think that because they like their dogs so does everyone else.

I haven't met a bully yet although I am scared of bull breeds in general. However I have met lots and lots of loose dogs out riding and I am fed up to the back teeth of them and their owners refusal to control them. Why should I have to put up with their loose dogs and the possibility they could cause an accident?
They either won't recall them when requested or they can't. It doesn't really matter which it is.

I don't want my horses to be responsible for kicking and injuring one. I would feel terrible if a dog got hurt because of me. Would they expect me to pay their vet bill.

Much of it is down to lack of effort by the owner. When I had my haflinger I trained him to dogs. He got very brave. I was totally fed up of people refusing to call their dogs back on narrow tracks. So I asked them, they did nothing or they told me their dog wasn't frightened of horses so I kept going at a very slow and very exaggerated funeral pace. . They asked if I could stop my horse I said yes, asked if they could recall their dog they ignored the request so we kept going. After a while they realised I would not be stopping and they would have to do something. It was only when they thought half a ton of horse was actually going to walk right over their dog they did something. (of course I never would have)

Those were dogs of all sizes and all breeds, they should have been on leads. Their owners couldn't give a d*mn what their dog was doing. So I am starting to be of the opinion that if some dog walkers won't lead or control their dogs then they should all be leaded for the benefit of the general public.

If you had a number of dog walkers going past your sheep on a regular basis with loose dogs and several of those decided to run off and have a play with your sheep would you mind? if this happened on a regular basis would it be OK for people to have their dogs off leads? I would guess not and it is not OK for unleaded dogs to hassle either my horse or my own dog who was always double leaded. I no longer take him out, loose dogs became too much of a hassle.

I used to take him out and lead off my bike. Dog kept to the left and any problem would have been in the hedge out of anyone's way. I gave up after coming off my bike once too often when loose dogs ran in front of us to get to him. He did nothing, just sat looking embarrassed. If those dogs had been leaded we could have continued are bike rides.

I'm sorry if the price responsible dogs owners have to pay for the irresponsible ones is leading but I can't see any other way.
To my mind all bull breeds should be muzzled as a matter of course when out.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
There is also the point in dog control to realise that not only do many people not like dogs and don't want loose dogs coming up to them they are also genuinely scared.That is not just bullys but any dog. Dog owners seem to think that because they like their dogs so does everyone else.
This with knobs on.

So many posters on here are getting very aerated at the thought of putting their (to them) harmless fluffikins on a lead in public areas.

There are a lot people out there who both dislike and are frightened of dogs. It's more common than you think. They are expected to cope with random mutts racing about because fluffikins simply must have his off lead gad about, apparently.

People really are so thoughtless.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
Why does my dog need to be on a lead here?

View attachment 123771
Jellyfish. They often lurk just below a thin layer of sand, waiting for unwary paws to connect with them. If you weren't close enough to see, then you might not realise what had happened until your dog began showing symptoms of the venom. This could complicate vet treatment.

Also, your dog is small, and I've lost count of how many times my dogs have been attacked by small dogs. The worst incident involved SIX of the horrors running around off lead and an owner barely within sight on the beach, yelling futilely for them to come back. All six swarmed my young on lead Labrador at once and latched on to her face and neck. My dog was terrified, but did not retaliate. I had to pull them off her. She's missing a bit from the tip of her right ear, but incredibly hasn't developed any reactivity to other dogs. I, on the other hand, now automatically put myself and my walking cane between my dogs and small dogs at all times. Medium to large dogs are still judged on a case by case basis.

I fully support all dogs being on leads in public areas and around livestock/wildlife, etc.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Why does my dog need to be on a lead here?

View attachment 123771

Well, for me, I would worry that someone with a large dog with an attitude problem might have the same idea, and then my pathetic old boy would be hurt.

ETA, I know that keeping my dog on the lead won’t help if their dog is off but if their dog is on the lead and my loose dog approaches, then I would be adding to the risk. And lots of people do keep their reactive dogs on the lead.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
So many posters on here are getting very aerated at the thought of putting their (to them) harmless fluffikins on a lead in public areas.

There are a lot people out there who both dislike and are frightened of dogs. It's more common than you think. They are expected to cope with random mutts racing about because fluffikins simply must have his off lead gad about, apparently.

People really are so thoughtless.

I am struggling with the amount of aggression and passive aggression I'm getting from owners of dogs on extendable leads and running free on paths where I walk.

Due to an eye operation years ago, I can't see any dog that runs within about 1m 50 of my right foot. When any dog does this or looks like it's going to do this, I stand still until it is gone so I don't trip over it.

The looks could kill and the insults I hear behind me as they walk on would be offensive if I could be bothered any more to be offended. These aren't bad dog owners, they're just completely oblivious to why anyone would have a problem with their dog.

skinnydipper

Visit site
If we are talking about dogs on a leash and under control, how useless are those extendable leads.

A big lab came after my dog who was on her lead , he pulled the handle out of his owner's hand. He wasn't aggressive but he was a nuisance. She is spayed but evidently her vulva is irresistible.

It is impossible to have a dog under close control if it is 10m away. And from what I have seen you can't reel them in in an instant no matter what anyone says.

I don't like them wrapped round my legs or my dog's legs while the owner tries to sort themselves out.

People drop the handles.

Last edited:

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Rio was attacked by a foreign rescue shepherd type which was on an extendable lead, in our own yard.

There is a footpath that runs past the front of the yard and the owner was on the footpath but the dog got into the yard on its lead, and attacked him. I was mucking out and had to hit the dog with a shovel to get it to let go. I was terrified I was going to have to kill it or it would kill Rio. It did let go eventually, and I don’t know whether it survived once it was removed.

Apparently Rio was the third dog it had attacked. The owner has several dogs, all rescues. She was worse than useless in the situation and just started shrieking and crying - she couldn’t even reel the lead back in properly.

Moobli

Visit site
Presumably sheep dogs and gun dogs would be working on privately owned property rather than on the streets and in public parks.
In Scotland we have the right to responsible access which muddies the water as to what is considered public. Also sheepdogs often have to drive livestock along public roads or footpaths etc. Anyhow that comment was rather tongue in cheek.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
If we are talking about dogs on a leash and under control, how useless are those extendable leads.
We use one and it works perfectly well 🙂. As ever, it is how they are used.

They do have a lock button which can easily be deployed, which makes them like a normal shorter length lead.

On the road or in busy places, she's always on short lead. In quiet open areas, she can have a lot more freedom, but we are ever vigilant that she may need to be reeled in.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Well, for me, I would worry that someone with a large dog with an attitude problem might have the same idea, and then my pathetic old boy would be hurt.

ETA, I know that keeping my dog on the lead won’t help if their dog is off but if their dog is on the lead and my loose dog approaches, then I would be adding to the risk. And lots of people do keep their reactive dogs on the lead.
The beach is empty…..

Indy

Visit site
Me and Bandit went for a seven mile walk yesterday, mostly off lead apart from a mile or so on the road and past my friends farm. During our walk we encountered a fox, a couple of deer, a cat and about 20 thousand squirrels, hes been trained not to chase wildlife so he doesn't, all good. We met up with a mountain biker and walker, Bandit called to middle both times until they'd gone past, a lady with a Weimaraner, a family with a Golden Retriever, they looked terrified, and an old guy with a Boxer, all on leads, so Bandit went on a lead also. During our walk he went swimming, did a bit of scent work with his ball, played with his ball and carried various sticks. We've got our own land we can walk round and I'll pay to go to Woofing Woods for off lead jaunts if ever a all dogs on leads in public places gets put in place.. But, I've spent good money, put in hours of work and cried rivers of frustration to turn him into a well rounded, good citizen and will admit that I'll be gutted if our walks have to be on lead only.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Both mornings this weekend I encountered loose dogs on my walk.

I live "in the country" and there aren't so many houses around. Almost all of them have fenced properties, and the dogs stay inside their fenced areas. I have noticed that most do not walk their dogs. Perhaps they think roaming their property/fenced area is enough.

Yesterday we encountered a Husky/Great Pyrenees/Shepherd mix that, "had his collar on too loose so he wasn't being shocked by his invisible fence." This is not the first time we've encountered him, and been told, "Oh, he isn't being shocked." What's the point then? He doesn't really do anything, just sniffs my girls, but doesn't listen to his owners.

Interestingly, a man in a pick up truck saw the dog approaching us from across the road and slowed down to keep his truck between us and the dog. This actually worked for a bit, and I thanked the man for this. When the dogs owner finally came out, the dog ran around the pickup. It did keep him away from us for a good bit and allow us to walk on. It was not a busy road, and I appreciated the man trying to keep everyone safe.

I've seen "invisible" fences work before, but you have to train them to it.

Today we were bombarded by a Pitbull mix and something that looked like an odd mix between a Bassett Hound and a GSD. Owner came out and got the Pit mix, who had her hackles up and wasn't looking most friendly, but didn't really do anything. The other one just stood in front of my 2, and wanted sniffs. Those 2 have a fenced property, so I'm not sure what was going on there. Normally when we pass them they're within the fence.

If I do get involved in a scuffle while walking my 2, I might be f*cked and would have to see who comes out alive. I can carry certain "weaponry" here and often do.

Last edited:

I'm Dun

Visit site
I love my 10m flexi. However there is a knack to it and the dog needs to have recall and distance control, otherwise they're useless.

Does that not then render them unnecessary? If you have recall and distance control why do you need one of those flexi leads?

The only time I see one being used is small dogs dragging owners along causing a trip hazard as they do it.

I'm Dun

Visit site
Due to an eye operation years ago, I can't see any dog that runs within about 1m 50 of my right foot. When any dog does this or looks like it's going to do this, I stand still until it is gone so I don't trip over it.
How are you passing a field of vision test to drive? Any damage to peripheral vision means you lose your licence.

Smitty

Visit site
I am struggling with the amount of aggression and passive aggression I'm getting from owners of dogs on extendable leads and running free on paths where I walk.

The looks could kill and the insults I hear behind me as they walk on would be offensive if I could be bothered any more to be offended. These aren't bad dog owners, they're just completely oblivious to why anyone would have a problem with their dog.
You have my sympathy. I encounter the same because I have a dog. I am not comfortable with stranger dogs and just downright petrified of larger ones. People assume because I have a dog with me that I am OK with any breed. I'm absolutely not. A GSD running towards me barking was accompanied by the useful recommendation from his owner that I pull myself together!! A loose Rotti had me scrambling over a big 5 bar gate with my terrier tucked under my arm whilst my "friend"🙄 and it's owners had a conversation about being scared of large dogs.

I assume when out with my dog that a) people do not like dogs b) don't want him anywhere near them c) may well be scared of dogs or even allergic d) they may like dogs but not him 😄 and e) that it is my responsibility to prevent him approaching or engaging with people.

If I see anyone walking in an area where he is offlead, I make sure he is on a lead before they are within shouting distance. I feel this is only fair to people.

Only yesterday I was approached three or four times in a car park by a Dalmatian. In all fairness it was very friendly. It's owner said it was fine and in any case they had their hands full trying to get back their collie that was chasing after cars 🙄. I do wonder if I had no dog with me if they would have rescued me. I doubt it.

ycbm

Visit site
How are you passing a field of vision test to drive? Any damage to peripheral vision means you lose your licence.

No it doesn't. You can legally drive with only one eye. I have partial sight loss in one eye and full sight in the other.

What an odd challenge to make, as if I might be lying about my sight or about driving 🤷

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
Does that not then render them unnecessary? If you have recall and distance control why do you need one of those flexi leads?

The only time I see one being used is small dogs dragging owners along causing a trip hazard as they do it.

Because nothing in life is 100% including recall, you have to expect the unexpected, and no one enjoys seeing GSDs running around off leash.

Mine are always brought back beside me when walkers/cyclists/riders are going past.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
This is charming

"When he asked the owner to bring the animal under control he set the muscular mutt onto him and also attacked him himself.

It came just nine days after Mr Czyzyk, who is a dog owner but not of an XL Bully, put a social media post up with a picture of one of the dogs saying: 'Any breed can be taught to be aggressive. It's time we quit blaming the wrong end of the leash.'"

This does illustrate the owner being the problem though. I mean, heck, you could teach a number of dogs to attack and be aggressive. The dog should be euthanized, and the owner too...err...I mean prosecuted.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
No it doesn't. You can legally drive with only one eye. I have partial sight loss in one eye and full sight in the other.

What an odd challenge to make, as if I might be lying about my sight.

I'm not sure if it was a challenge, or merely a question out of curiosity, or even a misunderstanding of the law. I'll let the poster address that though.

I find it interesting that driving with one eye is allowed though. Losing an eye, depth perception, or even peripheral vision in an existing eye has an impact on things that are rather important re driving and parking. Granted, you can also drive with one eye here, and drivers with 2 fully functioning eyes have plenty of accidents.

ycbm

Visit site
I'm not sure if it was a challenge, or merely a question out of curiosity, or even a misunderstanding of the law. I'll let the poster address that though.

I find it interesting that driving with one eye is allowed though. Losing an eye, depth perception, or even peripheral vision in an existing eye has an impact on things that are rather important re driving and parking. Granted, you can also drive with one eye here, and drivers with 2 fully functioning eyes have plenty of accidents.

It was a challenge, I haven't ever mentioned driving on this thread and it was totally irrelevant to this thread. The only implication you could draw from it was that the person who asked the question was querying whether I was telling the truth on this thread about sight loss or on a completely unrelated thread about driving an electric car.

I've never had depth perception, I was born with unmatched eyes that made it impossible. There are situations when driving that you learn to be very cautious about, like judging the speed of cars coming towards you before you pull out of junctions.