Another fatal dog attack

Smitty

Visit site
I’m not sure I’d want them knowing my details, if I was to report them.

I was replying to CC's questioning how the annonymous person would rehome a dog if they can't be contacted😃. I can see Jo Bloggs posting "get in tuch bruv, it's me blud" or something along those lines without giving a second thought to the illegality of rehoming it.

And no, I wouldn't want any of them knowing my details either!!

SilverLinings

Visit site
I did yes, but they didnt publish my comment. All the other comments were suggestions of how to rehome the dog.

What would be the point in reporting it? Its an anonymous post on a FB group. The police don't come out for crimes here unless someone is half dead so I cant imagine they are going to go chasing after an anonymous post on FB. Theres plenty of people still walking XL bullies unmuzzled around Oxford that nothing is done about.

I didn't mean someone should report the post to the police, I meant that if someone acquired a new XLB they might run the risk of them/their new dog being reported to the police as it is now illegal to buy or be given one. Neighbours round here report people who are late taking their bins in so a new XLB in the village would prompt a flurry of reports to the local PCSO!

Smitty

Visit site
I think we need to regroup😄. I'm not sure anyone was suggesting contacting the owner of said dog on Facebook, just reporting the post to the police 😊.

Lovely thought SL, but not thinking anyone rehoming an XL would care very much about it being reported.

CrazyMare

Visit site
I really feel for the medical staff and police who have to attend serious dog attacks/treat the victims, the injuries often sound truly awful. And I can't imagine what it's like for lay people to witness on the ocassions when there are friends/family/passersby present/trying to stop the dog.

I generally stay out of these things, because my feelings aren't always reciprocated.

I have seen many dog attacks and I cn confirm they can be truly horrific. Even non fatal attacks can be utterly life changing.

I truly don't feel sad if I hear a dog responsible for an attack I look after has been destroyed. And I have multiple dogs in my house

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I didn't mean someone should report the post to the police, I meant that if someone acquired a new XLB they might run the risk of them/their new dog being reported to the police as it is now illegal to buy or be given one. Neighbours round here report people who are late taking their bins in so a new XLB in the village would prompt a flurry of reports to the local PCSO!
Did anyone mention reporting the post on Facebook? They'd surely have to remove anything like that, given it's illegal? They're very hot about taking down animals for sale. There are no longer prices on the local horsey group after the admins were warned that they couldn't have for sale adverts.

Smitty

Visit site
Copied from a Facebook group:

"I am intrigued. Xl bullies are still being rehomed on fb groups and very openly so.
When these dogs are exempted they have to give an address so just how does moving them work if one gets out and chews up a child or dog?
The people on these groups are the reason why our pets are not safe, the idiocy is mind blowing. Would they move a loaded gun around so happily? Surely something can be done or should be as the illegal rehoming is a daily occurrence".

I wonder if the dogs have been exempted in the first place. And probably they would move a loaded gun around happily.

cauda equina

Visit site
I think that, as people ignore the hunting ban as they feel it is inherently wrong, so people will ignore the xlb stuff for the same reason.
(Absolutely not to start a debate on the rights or wrongs of hunting, plenty of threads elsewhere).
I think you're right, and it's probably a mixture of the specific 'The ban is wrong' with the general 'They can't tell me what to do'

GSD Woman

Visit site
Is the UK still rabies free? The Chunnel hasn't changed that?

In the US, dogs are normally quarantined for 10 days after a bite. The other option is to put it down and send the head for rabies testing.

GSD Woman

Visit site
To derail this thread even further, a friend was bitten by a feral cat. She was trying to keep one of her dogs from killing the cat, reached in and was bitten. She called me and asked if she should go to urgent care. Uh, no. She went to the hospital and started her rabies treatment then. The first injection was basically in the bite.

Now, back to XL Bullies and fatal dog attacks. Here the fatal dog attacks seem to be from pit bulls and Rottweilers.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My oh was bitten by our neighbours dog about a month ago and he was just given a tetanus and antibiotics this was from a private doctor.

I've never heard of rabies treatment for a cat bite before maybe its a new thing.

SilverLinings

Visit site
@GSD Woman by searching the title of the article you linked to I found the text below which is said to be the article in full (source here: ):

For millennia people have selected dogs with useful or appealing traits and bred them. That is why pointers point, retrievers retrieve and most pet dogs are friendly. Though their jaws may be mighty enough to crush bones, they are far more likely to give you a slobbery kiss than a bite. However, some dogs have been bred for aggression, and it shows.
In America in 2022 two children were killed and their mother was mauled while trying to save them from the family’s pair of Extra Large (or “XL”) Pit Bull Terriers. Last September in England two XL American Bully dogs (which are closely related) killed 52-year-old Ian Price in his mother’s garden, after leaping from a nearby house’s window to get to him. In January an XL Bully in Germany fatally mauled its owner and had to be shot as it rushed at police trying to help the man.
In Britain the number of fatal attacks by dogs has quadrupled since the XL Bully was introduced to the country, from four in 2014 to 16 in the first nine months of 2023. Overall, XL Bullies were responsible for 44% of dog attacks in 2023, according to Bully Watch UK, a pressure group. They killed other dogs, chewed children’s faces and caused injuries so bad that arms needed amputating. In America Pit Bull attacks are growing more common and were responsible for nearly 70% of dog-attack deaths in 2019, according to DogsBite.org, a watchdog.
Pit Bulls were bred to excel at dog-fighting, a sport that is banned in many countries but thrives in the shadows. The rules are simple and harsh. Two dogs are placed in a pit. Only one comes out. Over generations of breeding from the dogs that survive, the animals have developed a tendency to go for the throat, attack without warning, and ignore pain. XL Bullies were bred from Pit Bull stock, for greater size. Thus, they are huge (45-70kg), aggressive and hard to stop once they have started to attack. In “White Fang” Jack London called similar dogs “the clinging death”.
Pit Bulls were banned in Britain in 1991. Similar bans or restrictions exist in Denmark, Germany, more than 1,000 American cities and some Canadian provinces. However, in Britain importers of XL Bullies argued that the ban did not cover the new breed, though it is essentially a bigger Pit Bull. That loophole was closed in England in December. Other countries should follow suit and outlaw the breed.
There will be resistance, as there has been in Britain. A group of animal charities and associations known as the Dog Control Coalition argues that the law should focus on “deed, not breed”. Any kind of dog can be trained to be aggressive, they point out. They cite data from Britain’s National Health Service showing that the number of dog bites has increased since the original Pit Bull ban. They call for laws that hold individual dogs and their irresponsible owners to account for bad behaviour.
This is wrong-headed. It is true that any dog can be trained to fight. But those whose ancestors have been selectively bred to be good at it are much likelier to be deadly. Aggregate data on dog bites are misleading, since they give equal weight to a nip from a chihuahua and a mauling from an XL Bully. This breed is so dangerous that it sometimes kills professional dog handlers.
Sharing a home with a dog is one of life’s greatest pleasures. But dog lovers have no right to endanger other people’s lives by owning the most dangerous breeds. There are plenty of others to choose from.

GSD Woman

Visit site
I stupidly hadnt realised it was happening in other countries!

I didn't know that they were an issue in the USA. (BTW, I never heard of a fighting dog having to be "trained" to fight.) The pit bull people I know say that the bullies are actually another breed. They are smaller and less healthy. I'm guessing the XL have some sort of large mastiff type mixed in.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I didn't know that they were an issue in the USA. (BTW, I never heard of a fighting dog having to be "trained" to fight.) The pit bull people I know say that the bullies are actually another breed. They are smaller and less healthy. I'm guessing the XL have some sort of large mastiff type mixed in.
XL, Micro, Bully-Whatever: they are all the same breed, given that Pitbulls aren't exactly a highly supervised stud book either.