Anyone seen swelling like this?

Baywonder

Visit site
Thank you for the update @TPO.

I have absolutely everything crossed for Vinnie to make a full recovery. I really wish there was something I could do to help :(

Sending positive vibes and hugs your way.......

TPO

Visit site
No to rehab yard. He's mum's horse and stables are literally on the doorstep so no danger of her paying to have him elsewhere.

That aside couldnt think of a single suitable place and also transportless (new word) since selling my wee lorry last year. I dont even think he would be ok to travel like this?

I dont know any freelancers and I know olds wouldn't pay for it, dad will just do more and more... Also dont think I would trust anyone else. I've had so many bad experiences with "experts", admittedly not freelancers, that I couldn't imagine handing an ill horse over.

Sorry I dont mean to be awkward. It just is what it is and I need to call time on my pity party and get on with it until he is better.

I know freelancer seems like the obvious answer but it's just not a goer at this stage. That might change if we are doing this same thing in a month or so when dad and I will be half dead! Hopefully it doesnt come to that.

Yeah my dad is awesome. I'm really lucky to have him and extremely grateful.

Thanks again for the good wishes for Vinnie

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
Absolutely what MP says. I know if it's helping it doesn't feel quite as bad, but still sounds a hellish routine.
I know you're parents might not be keen, but I really think you and your Dad will need help when you go back to work.

Squeak

Visit site
That is one very lucky horse that it has people prepared to put in so much effort for it. I hope he's looking better this morning.

Is there any chance you or your dad would be able to oversee a freelancer? I.e. you could keep an eye on them out the window to make sure they're sticking to the routine.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I hear you about the punishing regime. Awful.

One thing I would look at, my horse has CPL and a sluggish lymph system. A couple of times he has swollen in all 4 legs and I have been unable to re-gain control despite exercise, bandaging, massage... I was recommended to call Trinity Consultants for their L94 liquid. 10 days of liquid supplement.

It has worked wonders both times. Legs drain of lymph and horse looks brighter. I know that some wonder liquid can't cure cellulitis but, if he were mine, I would certainly call Simon at Trinity and ask his advice to see if it would at least help the draining.

I guess a liquid supplement can't hurt, and my experience has been amazing with it.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Your doing so well under the circumstances it's a very tough regime to have to do daily and I hope he starts to improve, is someone on here near you that could give you a hand while you are at work? If I was near you I would have been happy to help but I am at the other end of the country.

Baywonder

Visit site
Pity party my a**e!!!!

You and your wonderful dad are doing an absolutely amazing job looking after Vinnie, and I for one take my hat off to you both. Whatever the vet has advised you to do, you have done it - and then a bit more on top of that too.

That to me is a truly dedicated horse owner. :)

TPO

Visit site
Thanks again for all of your nice messages ?

He seems a bit better today. He wasnt wanting to leave his stable and was hopping along on his toe. His other hooves were filled with dung which wasnt helping. He's a complete feral in the stable at the best of time and always stands in his dung (he doesnt have thrush) so not the best. He has a big corner stable and that is now deep bedded to the door as per vet's advice and its rubber matted. Anyway I digress, got him out of the stable and managed to quickly pick out both fronts but no danger of doing good hind which is fair enough.

He was really stop start and hard to keep going but we got there. I think its sore skin that is maybe stopping him putting his foot down. His pastern is seeping and has quite a few sores along with hacks. I know how much my split skin hurts (thanks cold hosing!) so his must be agony.

We've been drying really thoroughly with a towel and then using kitchen paper until the paper stays dry. I guess it doesnt help that the skin then starts seeping too. I'll try to upload a photo but HHO hasnt been letting me load photos.

The vet previously said no to cream at this stage. As it's a bacterial infection dont want stuff sticking to the cream and entering any of the sores. I was wondering if maybe something I thought of as gentle, like savalon, might be ok but had it pointed out by someone with more smarts than me that it might sting a little and suggested nappy cream.

We (me and newly appointed Vet Dad) decided to cut back on cold hosing. The vet said that the walking was the really crucial element. So instead of after every walk just do it after th4 first and last walks (unless its muddy and he needs cleaned off).

It's also been really cold here so the wee paddocks have gone hard. We decided to turn V out after his walks rather than being everyone in to stand. The thinking was he is as well out in fresh air than a stable and there is hay and water out for him. Well instead of mooching around the hay he's hopped two paddocks over in the search for grass (in vain, only moss is growing back after the flooding ?). So that's goof hes kinda moving and he will still get handwalked but with longer in between. Better for the other 2 if they can be left out longer too and they can all see each other.

Vinnie is as neurotic as they come and has huge attachment issues with my horse Chip, hence the ACP order for V to be in the shed alone. I'm not sure how perment it will be but Vinnie has been pretty perfectly behaved. He is the nappiest ratbag ever and now hes marching up the track going further than he's ever been before. The other two have been having a carry on and throwing themselves about in the mud ? and V hasnt even neighed. Normally that would make his tiny brain explode. Hes standing by himself to get hosed and mooching about in the barn on his own. Hes been quite happy to stand with a net tied to the gate and just watch the other two while I've mucked out.

TPO

Visit site
Pressed post too soon ?

But yeah sorry I was rambling on. Basically hes behaving like a saint and not at all like himself. Heres hoping that part lasts ??

Fat Cob has been coming down to the gate to check on him (nothing at all to do with the net of hay I'm sure) but his BFF Chip couldnt care less and has been quite happy by himself playing at races and rolling ?

? kinda lost all track of what my point was. I think basically Vinnie is getting better, giving turnout a go while the ground is hard, reducing cold hosing and possibly trying nappy cream.

Will give trinity consultants a call too because anything that helps is welcome.

Randomly just bought more mudslabs from someone moving house. Anyway they do reiki and told me about it when I mentioned Vinnie (his routine meant I had to delay collecting the slabs). I've never used reiki before and dont think I personally know anyone who has. I can just imagine my vets face if I ask him ? From what I've read it is good for inflammation and whole body stuff. Do you reckon it's worth a punt and if it is would it be better once he was off drugs and better etc or something that is gentle enough to use now? #clutchingatstraws

Thanks again for the nice messages

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Pressed post too soon ?

But yeah sorry I was rambling on. Basically hes behaving like a saint and not at all like himself. Heres hoping that part lasts ??

Fat Cob has been coming down to the gate to check on him (nothing at all to do with the net of hay I'm sure) but his BFF Chip couldnt care less and has been quite happy by himself playing at races and rolling ?

? kinda lost all track of what my point was. I think basically Vinnie is getting better, giving turnout a go while the ground is hard, reducing cold hosing and possibly trying nappy cream.

Will give trinity consultants a call too because anything that helps is welcome.

Randomly just bought more mudslabs from someone moving house. Anyway they do reiki and told me about it when I mentioned Vinnie (his routine meant I had to delay collecting the slabs). I've never used reiki before and dont think I personally know anyone who has. I can just imagine my vets face if I ask him ? From what I've read it is good for inflammation and whole body stuff. Do you reckon it's worth a punt and if it is would it be better once he was off drugs and better etc or something that is gentle enough to use now? #clutchingatstraws

Thanks again for the nice messages

That's really good news, sounds like progress.

As to reiki. Well it can't hurt. I've had it myself and I would recommend it.

Reactions: TPO

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would give the reiki a go. I once accidentally (long story) had reiki on the ankle that I had broken several years before and had a plate in. The ankle was swollen when the practitioner saw it. After he did his stuff for a very short time, the swelling went down.

Carrottom

Visit site
I think you are right to limit the cold hosing unless it is needed to remove mud. With regard to bedding etc. Sticking to cream, I said that to a vet once and his comment was it was better sticking to the cream than to the wound so to use plenty of cream. Hope the improvement continues.

Reacher

Visit site
Only very belatedly seen this thread - what a gruelling week you and Vinnie and your dad have had. Glad he seems a little better today, hope he has turned the corner

Arzada

Visit site
I think I'd give the Reiki a go too. I'd ask the vet about Flamazine though someone on here may know if it wouldn't be suitable for Vinnie.

TPO

Visit site
I think I'd give the Reiki a go too. I'd ask the vet about Flamazine though someone on here may know if it wouldn't be suitable for Vinnie.

I'm 75% sure hes had it before for mud fever. Its definitely been prescribed previously to one of mums horses for something. I cant remember vinnie's MF ever being that bad though so I might be remembering wrong unless he got it when he punctured his elbow (walking (hopping) vet bill that horse!)

I did ask about cream and vet said no for now but that might change once the swelling is down and treating the sores becomes a priority?

Thanks

Xtra

Visit site
Last year I was advised against cold hosing in winter for a wound by my vet as the water is too chilled to help and damages newly growing flesh. Mine was an open wound that kept getting irritated. We just wiped stable debris off.

ON the movement thing the same horse has a scar and now walks with strange action. its simply a feeling thing and is finally settling so could be he is reacting to the swelling etc.

Hope you get some progress and rest soon.

Arzada

Visit site
Last year I was advised against cold hosing in winter for a wound by my vet as the water is too chilled to help and damages newly growing flesh. Mine was an open wound that kept getting irritated.
That's interesting. We were dealing with a large open wound in winter which the vet advised to hose twice daily and apply Flamazine. When the pipes at the yard froze we syringed warm water (brought from home). We stayed with the syringe and warm water even when the pipes thawed because it just seemed kinder.

TPO

Visit site
The hosing is for the inflammation rather than cleaning or wound management as I understand it.

I'd happily hose for a strain but it's the fact his skin is damaged and weeping it just feels cruel. That makes sense about tissue damage with extreme cold.

In the end he was only hosed once this morning and I put nappy cream on tonight after drying (the serum from) his leg. Hes just getting one more walk tonight and that'll be him until first thing in the morning. It's to be absolutely freezing and everything is turning to ice already. I dont want to risk a slip in the dark and he will probably be tired after his first day out in a week.

So will just need to see how he is in the morning.

Thanks again for the messages

Mynstrel

Visit site
When hubby's big mare had lymphangitis the vet gave us (lots of) water tablets as well as a/b's and pain relief for her. Also some sort of cream which I can't remember the name of, I can only describe it as like pink vaseline which helped keep the the skin supple and stopped it from splitting so much when the serum was oozing. Somebody from a horse herbals place also suggested feeding fenugreek as apparently it has a similar action to the water tablets.

SO1

Visit site
Could you perhaps ask your vet if you can use leucillin. https://www.leucillin.co.uk

It is not a cream so nothing will stick to it.

It does sound relentless and I do hope he makes a good recovery, you must be exhausted especially in the cold weather. It is such a worry isn't it when they are poorly.