Anyone want a thread for the Olympic dressage live?

Parrotperson

Visit site
its the eventing that worries me more. I mean how does that work. Say a team gets a really good dressage score off of one member then they substitute a better x country horse in? Or a better sj horse? It would only take their own vet to say "oh that's lame now"

Its a nonsense.

Kat

Visit site
Even if they only let the traveling reserve compete as an individual it would be better than them being there but not competing. Plus it would avoid the potential advantage gained by substituting in a fresh horse. Especially in the eventing when a fresh horse on SJ day would be a huge advantage.

Kat

Visit site
Also does this potentially have welfare implications. If a team were so inclined they could deliberately injure their horse so as to get a substitution

Parrotperson

Visit site
while we're here the start list for tomorrow is up, looks like they are likely to get a dump of rain :confused:

first 2 groups have times and then there's a gap while they allocate times to the final group. the start time is 9am, but BEF seems to be saying BBC coverage is not starting until 9.30... i am skeptical about whether they really will cover the whole thing and think it will be scrambled in with the other sports so i'm going to get back on discovery i think...

https://eurodressage.com/2021/07/26/starting-order-2021-olympic-grand-prix-special

Wow. Someone at Olympic HQ has been really overthinking the equestrian sports this year haven't they!

All this 3 to compete but you can swap someone in. Now "I know let's not give the final riders times. Lets work it out the really complicated way and see what's what at the end of the first two groups!!!!!"

A tad difficult for all the final riders. I mean you don't k now when to start warming up for a start.

Honestly.

It'll be lets put a 5ft show jump in the middle of the dressage arena" next won't it ! ????

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
what would we do without you MP :)

thanks for the link to the times, very useful. i have decided to stay with discovery as i am also not convinced BBC will show it all. i am more confident that they will show the kur but cant bear commentary during the music so will prob stay with discovery, at least there is the option...looks like im doing nothing tomorrow apart from an early morning dog walk..

Parrotperson

Visit site
what would we do without you MP :)

thanks for the link to the times, very useful. i have decided to stay with discovery as i am also not convinced BBC will show it all. i am more confident that they will show the kur but cant bear commentary during the music so will prob stay with discovery, at least there is the option...looks like im doing nothing tomorrow apart from an early morning dog walk..

technically I have togo to my husband's oncology appointment but I reckon this is much more important right? ???

I'll miss it but luckily have worked out how to watch it back on discovery so that'll have to do! Bloody husbands. ?

DressageCob

Visit site
Why? Do you think he'd do better than the others? Genuine question not being rude!!

He's a lovely quiet rider, thoroughly nice bloke and perfectly normal. Don't get me wrong, he's crazy talented, but he's worked for everything he has. He's dabbled in lots of disciplines, so is well-rounded, and basically networked, taught and got on people's radar. It wasn't handed to him as it was with others (who are also very talented, but obviously not at all aspirational for us mere mortals).

I don't know that he'd do better than others, but I really wanted him to get to ride. it's just a shame his number 1 horse wasn't fit; if she were I bet he'd have been in the 3.

Ultimately I want him to get to ride because he's a nice guy and he's worked for it.

teapot

Visit site
The limiting to three was something to do with speeding up the competition across all three disciplines

Goldenstar

Visit site
Has anyone looked at the clips of the tests on the dressage hub ?
Have they done something to them ?
The horses look odd and IW looked like she had lost a third of her height and gained 10 kilos .

Caol Ila

Visit site
Can anyone tell me what times I should go to on Discovery to watch:

Carl Hester
Edward Gal
Jessica Von Bredow
Lottie Frey

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Carl 10am
Lottie 11.45
Edward and Jessica sometime after 1, tbc after the first 2 groups have finished.

Caol Ila

Visit site
And the other American, Sabine. I've seen Steffan's and Adrienne's tests. Poor Adrienne. That horse can be really brilliant but it was not their day.

milliepops

Visit site
She's also in the final group so tbc.
The link i posted earlier has the groups/times Tokyo time, we are 8 hours behind.

milliepops

Visit site
Oh, are you wanting to watch the tests from the weekend? If so best to look at the start lists and just scroll through.

Equibrit

Visit site
Penalties for substitutions in ;

Eventing:
  • Pre-competition substitution applies up to two hours before the start of the dressage test without any penalty. If a horse is not accepted at the 1st horse inspection, a pre-competition change can also be made without any penalty.
  • The reserve horse must be presented at the first inspection
  • An athlete/horse combination may be substituted by a reserve combination for medical/veterinarian reasons in any of the three tests after the start of competition.
  • Only one substitution per team is allowed.
  • Substitution will incur a team penalty of 20 points; additional penalties for a team member not completing a phase will be 100 pts each for dressage and stadium, and 200 for XC. (See also Substitution Activation rules on page 23 and additional penalties here.)
  • An athlete/horse combination can be substituted if eliminated, withdrawn, or retired, but no substitution is permitted if the combination has been eliminated for dangerous riding, abuse of horse, or if the combination has been disqualified for any other reason.
  • Where an athlete/horse combination is substituted, neither they nor the replacement combination will be eligible for the individual competition.

Dressage:
  • During the period between the Team Qualifier (Grand Prix) and up to two hours before the start of the Team Final (Grand Prix Special), the chef d’equipe may substitute a team member with an alternate athlete/horse.
  • The alternate combination can compete in the Special (Team Final) but will not be entitled to compete in the Freestyle (Individual Final).

Dressage Team start/times list;

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/resOG2020-/pdf/OG2020-/EQU/OG2020-_EQU_C51(D)B_EQUODRESTEAM----------GPSP000100--.pdf 44

Last edited:

Caol Ila

Visit site
Oh, are you wanting to watch the tests from the weekend? If so best to look at the start lists and just scroll through.

Yeah, that's what I was after.

I should see most of those guys in the GPS tomorrow. I am now organized and set up to watch on OH's laptop while I pretend I am doing work on mine.