Badminton XC day

Colivet

Visit site
As an Irish person who normally moans about the lack of coverage of Irish riders, I thought it was great this year. I'm also very proud that all but one of them completed. Wouldn't that little mare of Cathal's break your heart - such a stinker in the dressage and storms round clear the xcountry with very few time penalties :(

Very exciting competition this year.

Fools Motto

Visit site
Does anyone have any footage of the birch corners that Sam Griffiths and PAULANK BROCKAGH 'faulted' at? Please get in touch with him via his eventing page - He's sure he shouldn't get the penalties.

mypegasus

www.themusingsofpegasus.wordpress.com
Does anyone have any footage of the birch corners that Sam Griffiths and PAULANK BROCKAGH 'faulted' at? Please get in touch with him via his eventing page - He's sure he shouldn't get the penalties.

Will be interesting to see what they do with regard to the faults - but watching the footage on the BBC red button was abit unsure whether It would be classed as clear or not

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

The BBC got it head on, he won't need private video.. Clear as daylight he faulted. The horse broke the flag with his left foreleg.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
After years of enjoying watching the XC coverage I found most of that very uncomfortable to view. Few combinations looked happy going round, nothing really flowed and they were darned lucky not to have a disaster from one of the excessive number of rotational falls on course. I hope a few questions will be asked when today is reviewed.

Escapade

Visit site
z3hpdF1.gif

Don't think he has much of a case really

Shooting Star

Visit site
It's on his FB page that the jury have decided that the penalties will remain, which IMO is right - I really can't see how that could ever not have been a fault

mypegasus

www.themusingsofpegasus.wordpress.com
So I've started to look at numbers for cross country day - don't know if anyone is interested:

82 horses completed the dressage, one of those withdrew before cross country today - so there were 81 starters.

Of those:

49 completed the course

16 retired

16 were eliminated

Of the 49 completions:

32 completed with no jumping penalties (2 within the time)
1 completed with 1 frangible pin breakage
12 completed with 1 refusal
2 completed with 1 refusal and 1 frangible pin breakage
1 completed with 50 penalties for jumping outside flag
1 completed with 2 refusals at the same fence

The slowest completion was 173 seconds outside the optimum time for the course.

I'll be analysing the problems on the course and the movements up and down the leaderboard.

Hope you don't mind me posting on here!

Last edited:

teapot

Visit site
Similar numbers finished and/or had problems at last year's Badminton. It's not meant to be a dressage competition, every horse got up from its fall (if it fell rather than unseated), and one rider in hospital as a precaution. Don't forget there were 25 Badminton first timers, or was it 25 first timers at 4*, can't quite remember which, but worth considering.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
After years of enjoying watching the XC coverage I found most of that very uncomfortable to view. Few combinations looked happy going round, nothing really flowed and they were darned lucky not to have a disaster from one of the excessive number of rotational falls on course. I hope a few questions will be asked when today is reviewed.

I agree. The water combinations were particularly 'meh'. I only managed to catch a few rounds, but found thought most of it looked really sticky.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
I haven't read the whole post but did anything come of the horse that fell at the last fence?

Perhaps it should have been pulled up as it did look tired before the finish.

What I didn't like though was the fact the rider got up and walked away and ignored her horse.

Yes I expect she was shocked, winded, disappointed etc
Plus her grooms were on the way.

But I felt it was a total lack of caring,
She could have checked if the horse was ok and immediately got it moving to cool it down until the grooms got to her.

Maybe I'm too soft and forget she is a professional rider.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
It should have been stopped. I do think the rider was winded after the fall though. And the horse received immediate attention from the ground crew them it's groom.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
It should have been stopped. I do think the rider was winded after the fall though. And the horse received immediate attention from the ground crew them it's groom.

I agree the ground crew arrived quickly loosening tack etc and the grooms were running to get to them as they were obviously further away at the finish.
But I still think she showed a lack of care.
I would have grabbed horse and got it walking at least until the grooms arrived.

But perhaps I'm being to hard.