Barefoot transition thread/journal

Floofball

Visit site
Well Feb was a bit of a write off with all the horrible storms BUT decided to be positive today and ordered his boots. The horses have been so miserable that I let diets slide a bit and grass definitely coming through now so we have to get moving more now! Only managed a couple of outings in Feb - he still feels great and is happy on all the surfaces I’ve tried so far. Put my old macs on him to start getting him used to boots but they are too big for him - clumsy Mctrip hazard ? have ordered the easy boot trails in hopefully the right size ??

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I'm wondering about how to avoid rubbing in the heels. I've read that people put socks on over the hoof. Has anyone here had any experience with using them or something similar to protect the heels from rubs. I'm wondering what type of socks to use and do they bunch up under the boots?
I had cavallo treks for one horse and did find that they rubbed after a bit so I used gaiters, not the cavallo ones though, the HHO wisdom was that they were rubbish. When they were in the wash I used socks and didn't have a problem with bunching up but the gaiters were better. Sorry I can't remember what they were now but I'm sure others can advise.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site

Mule

Visit site
Good news. The vet rang today with the results of the dex suppression test. He doesn't have ppid ???

I think the reason he's so improved is because, since being taken off the field, his feet have finally had the chance to dry and harden. It's thanks to the advice on this forum. It never occurred to me that the problem was the wet field

Last edited:

Mule

Visit site
Bad news update
He lost his last cast today. He's ucomfortable again?
I realised that the reason is because the cast that fell off was on the left hoof. His x-rays showed that both soles were very thin but that there was practically no sole on the left hoof ?

I thought the whole thing was solved. Now I'm suspicious that the right hoof was ok for some time. That would explain why he was sound when he lost the right cast. It's likely it was the left hoof that was sore all along.

The farrier is coming later so I'll have a chat with him. I'll be taking more photos too. His boots have already been dispatched.
Maybe he can wear a shoe on his left hoof and go bare on his right ?

Gloi

Visit site

The farrier is coming later so I'll have a chat with him. I'll be taking more photos too. His boots have already been dispatched.
Maybe he can wear a shoe on his left hoof and go bare on his right ?

Have you tried the hoof armour on him yet? He sounds like a good candidate for it.

Mule

Visit site
Have you tried the hoof armour on him yet? He sounds like a good candidate for it.
I put it on his hinds when the farrier came today. I had to rush off afterwards so I haven't had a look at him since. I'm going to put it on his front hooves as well. I didn't think of it today becaue of the drama with his left fore being tender.

When I thought both front hooves were fine I was just going to use boots on them for riding and try riding with hoof armour on the hinds.

Last edited:

Gloi

Visit site
I put it on his hinds when the farrier came today. I had to rush off afterwards so I haven't had a look at him since. I'm going to put it on his front hooves as well. I didn't think of it today becaue of the drama with his left fore being tender.

When I thought both front hooves were fine I was just going to use boots on them for riding and try riding with hoof armour on the hinds.
With the fronts being sore it should protect the soles in the field too and hopefully let them grow a bit thicker and not be so soft with the wet. Hope things work out.

Mule

Visit site
With the fronts being sore it should protect the soles in the field too and hopefully let them grow a bit thicker and not be so soft with the wet. Hope things work out.
So do I. My poor delicate horse?
Good hooves will be a prerequisite for any horse I get in the future

Mule

Visit site
Bah, the hoof boots are too big? (size 5 cavallos) It was prophesied that they'd be tight on him. I'm going to order a fit kit.

I've put hoof armour on both hinds and the left fore (the tender one). The applicator gun is blocked, so I've brought it home to have a poke around it. Despite wearing gloves I still managed to get it on my hands (clumsiness). It gets weirdly hot ?
I will have photos of hooves tomorrow ?
His co-owner jokingly suggested selling him to the local meat man ?

Last edited:

Mule

Visit site
Re; selling him to the meat man, if the next boots I get don't fit, I'll be tempted ?

Although, one benefit of having him stabled at night is that I get to spend a lot more time with him than when he's in the field. I have a little crate in his stable and I sit in with him and listen to an audiobook. It's relaxing. He has even given me the odd nuzzle, which is nice (he's not that type). We're bonding over hooves :D

Last edited:

Mule

Visit site
I've just thought of an idea. Horseshoes are comfortable because the walls
bare the weight of the horse. There is no pressure on the sole of the hoof. Perhaps boots with the sole area cut out would work similarly. When the boots are on, the weight would be carried solely by the hoof wall, mimicking horseshoes. What do you think? Are there any boots that work like this?

Gloi

Visit site
I've just thought of an idea. Horseshoes are comfortable because the walls
bare the weight of the horse. There is no pressure on the sole of the hoof. Perhaps boots with the sole area cut out would work similarly. When the boots are on, the weight would be carried solely by the hoof wall, mimicking horseshoes. What do you think? Are there any boots that work like this?
If the horse is still footy in boots you can put pads in and I suppose you could cut the pads so they only went round the wall of the hoof and had a space in the middle and there are pads which have a thicker part for the frog to encourage the frog pressure which you really want. I think though you just need to give your horse more time, keep the hoof armour going and use your boots for riding once you get the right ones (which you will, just be patient).

Mule

Visit site
If the horse is still footy in boots you can put pads in and I suppose you could cut the pads so they only went round the wall of the hoof and had a space in the middle and there are pads which have a thicker part for the frog to encourage the frog pressure which you really want. I think though you just need to give your horse more time, keep the hoof armour going and use your boots for riding once you get the right ones (which you will, just be patient).
The problem with getting boots for him is that his front hooves are 10mm wider than long. There aren't many boots that cater for that shape. Apparently it's a common shape in tb's and draughts. He's a TB/ID cross.

His hind hooves are more round so
I might be in luck there.

Last edited:

Gloi

Visit site
The problem with getting boots for him is that his front hooves are 10mm wider than long. There aren't many boots that cater for that shape. Apparently it's a common shape in tb's and draughts. He's a TB/ID cross.

His hind hooves are more round so
I might be in luck there.
So long as you can get the hoof in the boot and you are only doing slow work you'll manage for the time being. The problems with fit start when you go in mud or canter or ride for hours. Once the hooves improve they might round up too. Just plug on. My first one I booted had hooves so contracted nothing really fit , they were so long and narrow, but they did improve and become a slightly better shape in time.

Mule

Visit site
So long as you can get the hoof in the boot and you are only doing slow work you'll manage for the time being. The problems with fit start when you go in mud or canter or ride for hours. Once the hooves improve they might round up too. Just plug on. My first one I booted had hooves so contracted nothing really fit , they were so long and narrow, but they did improve and become a slightly better shape in time.
The hoof armour has really helped his tender front hoof ?

Mule

Visit site
Here are hoof photos from today 12th March. It's four and a half months in.
The hooves aren't the cleanest (my assistant, who's holding the hooves is getting impatient)
He trotted down to me for his dinner today, which was very encouraging.
I can't believe I haven't ridden him in 4.5 months, he'll be horrified when I get up on him again?

Left hind

Left hind 2_compress65.jpg

Right foreRight fore 2_compress16.jpg

Attachments

• Left fore hoof 1_compress18.jpg
    Left fore hoof 1_compress18.jpg
    415 KB · Views: 8
  • Right hind 1_compress5.jpg
    Right hind 1_compress5.jpg
    424.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Aoife 2020

Visit site
Looks like you’re having problems with him been barefoot. His feet are looking a lot better but some horses just can’t be barefoot and needs a pair of shoes to correct problems . I am very lucky that my mare has brilliant feet .

ponyparty

Visit site
It can take 12 months (ish) to grow a whole new hoof capsule; 4.5 months really isn’t that long to transition esp when looking at how his hooves started. It’s amazing the difference in OP’s horse’s feet really. Transitioning isn’t always plain sailing, it’s a process and depends how damaged the hooves were to start with.

I think he’s doing great, mule, and you’ve inspired me to keep going with my boy!

Mule

Visit site
Looks like you’re having problems with him been barefoot. His feet are looking a lot better but some horses just can’t be barefoot and needs a pair of shoes to correct problems . I am very lucky that my mare has brilliant feet .
I'm going to try more boots and see how we get on. If I can't get boots to fit he'll have to be reshod because he can't be ridden as he is. I already have 2 field ornaments and I don't want another ?

Last edited:

Mule

Visit site
It can take 12 months (ish) to grow a whole new hoof capsule; 4.5 months really isn’t that long to transition esp when looking at how his hooves started. It’s amazing the difference in OP’s horse’s feet really. Transitioning isn’t always plain sailing, it’s a process and depends how damaged the hooves were to start with.

I think he’s doing great, mule, and you’ve inspired me to keep going with my boy!
Thank you x

Gloi

Visit site
I'm going to try more boots and see how we get on. If I can't get boots to fit he'll have to be reshod because he can't be ridden as he is. I already have 2 field ornaments and I don't want another ?
You will get boots to fit, you don't want to undo the work you've done so far. Some dry weather will really help.
Who does your trimming?

Last edited:

Mule

Visit site
You will get boots to fit, you don't want to undo the work you've done so far. Some dry weather will really help.
I hope so. I agree about not undoing the work. It would be such a shame after spending so long at it. There's been such an improvement. His hooves, especially the back ones look so much better. I think the most recent change is the angle of the sole.