Boggle- USA bound!

Northern Hare

Visit site
she seems to have eaten the material though haha.. so it can’t just be stitched. I think it would need a huge patch on the inside, not sure if that would affect the integrity of the rug as it's now missing a fair bit of stuffing too...

Damn pig!
Have you got an old quilted rug liner that could be used to patch the rug? I'd be furious because I know you like to have good quality rugs, so I'm guessing that would be an expensive one! 🐖

Michen

Visit site
Have you got an old quilted rug liner that could be used to patch the rug? I'd be furious because I know you like to have good quality rugs, so I'm guessing that would be an expensive one! 🐖

I do have a rug liner I could use.. but it’s kind of getting rid of a rug to fix another rug. By the time it’s been washed and repaired and another rug sacrificed it’s probably easier to just buy a new one!

Barn owner is lovely and offered to replace but I said let’s just go halves as the rug was 15 months old anyway. As realistically I could buy a cheaper one to replace (there’s a westherbeeta one for 170 in the sale), so I feel a bit bad. But I like the rhinos and they fit him well.

Yes.. $280 dollars to replace. The pig has gone from cute to very uncute very quickly haha.

Hate these kind of situations!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I did a similar looking repair on a heavyweight PE rug that had only been bought that week before somehow my previous horse ripped the complete @rse out of it. I bought a patch of material from Amazon and it worked just fine after. The needle made my fingers hurt for a few days though!

1707066446041.png1707066487026.png
1707066510859.png

Michen

Visit site

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Oh ghank h

oh thank you!! What kind of material did you buy exactly?
You can buy ripstop online here (UK ) and polyester wadding or quilting and also slippy nylon used for lining.
I quite often cannibalise stuff bought in charity shops here. Old waterproof or quilted jackets etc.
It is easier with a decent strong sewing machine though.

Michen

Visit site
I tried trotting bog on long reins again and same thing happened so not a fluke. I need to back off, and I totally will, just feel really devastated. I have got carried away after all the vet check positivity. And dropped my friend at airport which is obviously really sad, plus have a streaming cold.

Sorry for the whine. I’m worried he’s relapsing but I can’t know because I haven’t tried to trot him under “forced” exercise until now.

The carrot of him being ok to ride was dangled and it just makes it really upsetting. In some ways it would have been much easier for it to have not all been going so well.

Michen

Visit site
It is still such early days...

X

Thank you, I know you are right. I’m my own worst enemy! I throw myself into things and I need to back off and stop expecting miracles.

Strange that he can hoon around like a nutter totally steady but trotting a big circle on a very loose contact on long reins is a no go.

Titchy Pony

Visit site
I tried trotting bog on long reins again and same thing happened so not a fluke. I need to back off, and I totally will, just feel really devastated. I have got carried away after all the vet check positivity. And dropped my friend at airport which is obviously really sad, plus have a streaming cold.

Sorry for the whine. I’m worried he’s relapsing but I can’t know because I haven’t tried to trot him under “forced” exercise until now.

The carrot of him being ok to ride was dangled and it just makes it really upsetting. In some ways it would have been much easier for it to have not all been going so well.
I'm sorry for your set back. But I'm sure that's all it is, a set back. Keep up your good work in walk and try the trot again later, perhaps in spring when everything seems brighter anyway and you might have more choice of surfaces. Miracles can happen, but they often take time and hard work. You and Bog will get there.
(if feeling really down, just plot the demise of the pig, that should cheer you up)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Thank you, I know you are right. I’m my own worst enemy! I throw myself into things and I need to back off and stop expecting miracles.

Strange that he can hoon around like a nutter totally steady but trotting a big circle on a very loose contact on long reins is a no go.

I think this is a bit like toddlers who can run (until they fall) but can't walk in a controlled fashion at all. You know what they say, that walking is actually controlled falling. So he has the proprioception to run fast, when he picks his feet higher, and to stop by rocking his weight to the back and propping on the front, but he doesn't have enough to go slower with a lower foot clearance. Very much like they say many of the huge moving dressage horses are wobblers, which (having owned one) I put down to them needing to get their feet well clear of the floor so as not to trip and also to give themselves more time to work out where to put them back down.

Fingers crossed he can continue to improve.

Michen

Visit site
Thanks everyone. No idea why I’m so sad, starting Monday sobbing! I had really got my hopes up after that last vet visit whereas until then I didn’t really allow myself to believe I’d ever ride him.

I also know I’m being completely unrealistic and that IF Bog does continue to improve and be rideable again it’s not going to just happen in a few months. All the EPM Facebook groups say it’s a year before you really know what your left with.

Damn, need to pull my s*** together.

Michen

Visit site
We are all pulling with you.

Thank you. You guys have given us so much support, I really want/wanted to be able to have a true success story.

He already is one, though. It still gives me so much joy to see him throwing these ridiculous shapes, fly bucking, leaping, squealing and being totally perfect with his footwork.

I just have a horrid feeling his hocks are going to really deteriorate if he never comes back into any work.

Michen

Visit site
Hey Bog team. The most distressing update. I came to the barn and was doing some pole work, followed it up with some neck stretches that I’ve done a million times per the vet instruction. After he stretched to his flank for one I saw immediately that something had happened. He was cocking his neck, eyes white, starting “begging” with his hoof. Went immediately wobbly and neuro.

Shouted for help and immediately called the vet, luckily one of the interns who I know well was on call who’d been in the hospital all week when he went in. Told her she needed to come now and put him down immediately, no question. Barn owner and I crying, Boggles head in my chest and clearly distressed/upset.

Within five minutes, maybe less, he decided he was fine, spooked at the pig milling around and set off bucking and leaping. Totally normal. Pushing us around for carrots and getting irritated at hanging around 🙈 Vet arrives and does full neuro work up, same as before. Totally fine behind and just very slightly neuro on the raised head test- same as his check a few weeks ago. At this point Bog was putting on a full display of rolling (he adores rolling on the filthy dirt surface), jaunting around like nothing had happened, generally being extremely Bog. I was utterly distraught minutes before. I honestly thought we would be putting him down tonight. The thoughts going through my head... my mum flies out here on wednesday and I was thinking about how she needed to change her flight because I'd be such a mess, what my work diary was tomorrow to be able to cope, everything.

Anyway, he is his bright and perky self and totally happy to stretch around in any direction. But it’s more clear than ever that it’s his neck, something is in there that’s tweaking the nerves or whatnot with the arthritis. I honestly don’t know at this point how much time I have with him, obviously if this happens frequently or again soon, it’s just not ok. But in no way was he a horse you could euthanize tonight. I think in my gut I always knew it was his neck, it’s been clicking and cracking ever since he had a fall on some ice hacking last February.

For now he’s completely himself, moving around like a normal horse, pushing me around and like those 5 minutes of disaster never happened.

I am going to have his neck injected with steroids again in the next few days, at this point the benefit of them outweighs the what feels like tiny possibility that this was EPM after all (steroids shouldn't be given to an epm horse as it lowers the immune system and can allow the protozoa to creep back in). So long as he remains Bog like and happy I will continue to worship him, spoil him, spend whatever science can offer to keep him comfortable, and will not for one moment let him go on longer than is beneficial for him. And if you’re reading this and think I’m an idiot, please tell me. I trust myself to know when the time is right to call it, I think, but tonight was not the night. But my judgment may be clouded.

The vets are a bit stumped because he doesn’t present like a horse with chronic neck pain at all, but there must be a certain movement that does “something”, impinges on something, who knows.

I am beyond devastated and drained as I really did hope it was EPM, but I’m extremely grateful to have a normal Bog and not have to make any decisions tonight, or hopefully for a while.

And very grateful for my amazing vets, they had a “Boggle” WhatsApp group going straight away with multiple vets who know his case, to assess videos and make a plan. At 9pm at night when none of them bar the attending vet were on call. He has the best fan club ever!

Here he is free ranging around the barn tonight like nothing happened. I can't describe how much that horse means to me and how desperately I wish this was something I could truly fix for him. He's been my best mate for 7 years (ok, 6, because we hated eachother for the first one!), my rock since moving here and it just really, really fricking hurts.

Last edited:

BBP

Visit site
Oh my goodness, I have just caught up on some of the Bog news (not managed to go all the way back to where I had left off). Completely get where you are coming from today, having got the vet last year thinking it was BBPs time and then him deciding it wasn’t. He has now had a whole extra year and although nowhere near rideable as I don’t want to add weight to his hypermobile joints, he has been living his best life and is super happy right now.

Now I have my little Connemara has a neck query I understand some of your stress though (obviously not the same).

The only advice I have (which isn’t worth much) is to love him as much as you can whilst you have him, take nothing for granted, and that hanging up all plans and ambitions makes it so much easier to enjoy all the little things with them. I try to be as pragmatic as I can now, and take every day as it comes rather than looking to the future.

Cavalier

Visit site
What a rollercoaster of emotions! I have no medical knowledge so can’t comment on that but can say that you know him best, you are there and, from what I read, you are not the kind of person to keep him going too long when not in Bog’s best interest. What I’m clumsily trying to say is sending supportive hugs and fingers and toes crossed for Bog and you

Michen

Visit site
Oh my goodness, I have just caught up on some of the Bog news (not managed to go all the way back to where I had left off). Completely get where you are coming from today, having got the vet last year thinking it was BBPs time and then him deciding it wasn’t. He has now had a whole extra year and although nowhere near rideable as I don’t want to add weight to his hypermobile joints, he has been living his best life and is super happy right now.

Now I have my little Connemara has a neck query I understand some of your stress though (obviously not the same).

The only advice I have (which isn’t worth much) is to love him as much as you can whilst you have him, take nothing for granted, and that hanging up all plans and ambitions makes it so much easier to enjoy all the little things with them. I try to be as pragmatic as I can now, and take every day as it comes rather than looking to the future.

I know you totally get it. And it's so hard when they seem fixed and rideable again and your hopes are up then bam... dashed again.

But tonight was a good reminder, it just doesn't matter if he's rideable. Just happy and Bog like is more than enough.

I think our ponies were VERY lucky to end up with owners that love them so much!

Michen

Visit site
What a rollercoaster of emotions! I have no medical knowledge so can’t comment on that but can say that you know him best, you are there and, from what I read, you are not the kind of person to keep him going too long when not in Bog’s best interest. What I’m clumsily trying to say is sending supportive hugs and fingers and toes crossed for Bog and you

Thank you! I hope/don't think I would. I was 100% prepared to PTS tonight and that it was a repeat of very serious ataxia but that god damn horse...he didn't just go from b****** to "better" he went straight back to normal, or at least normal for him.

The vet was pretty pragmatic and I guess when you have arthiritis and something "tweaks" it, it's going to be uncomfortable for a minute. Heck, I don't have any that I know of and sometimes I stand up and something gives and I go numb and very lame.

I just want to ensure he's always full capable and happy doing everything a horse should do, without pain, until the time is right. I'm going to discuss daily pain relief with the vets tomorrow but from tonight and what they saw they are just unconvinced it's a chronic pain thing and more convinced it's a sudden tweak. His hocks however, probably a different story.

BMA2

Visit site
I suppose you now have an answer as to what and where the issue is...and attention and effort can now be focused on the right area

Have you had xrays of his neck

Peglo

Visit site
Oh Michen!! What a worry for you. So sorry you had to go through that again but thank goodness he perked up so quickly.

I have no doubts you will do the best thing for him so just sending big hugs. And I’m glad he’s still bossing the pig around.

Michen

Visit site
I suppose you now have an answer as to what and where the issue is...and attention and effort can now be focused on the right area

Have you had xrays of his neck

Yes, I had them done post the pneumonia as I was worried about the clicking. Then done again when he ended up in hospital. No changes in between (period of 4 months). Nothing that screams an obvious spinal impingement but there’s only so much you can see from a xray. Really you would need a CT or mylegram.

And what’s the point, there’s no “fix” treatment anyway other than one surgery that I wouldn’t consider. I’d rather just deal with whatever’s in front me, treat him as best I can. Love him lots and let him go when it’s time.

I am going to look into whatever therapies I can though, aside from steroids, to aggressively help him. He will continue with the acupuncture especially as he loves it. Osphos, PRP, Prostride are other things that may help. He really does seem and look like a very well horse, bar him displaying some unpleasant behaviour to his field friend which went away as soon as we moved him away from the mares!