Boggle- USA bound!

Tinsel

Visit site
It’s the keeping a grey clean that would stop me buying one. The greys I’ve known haven’t had melanomas and have made old bones and I don’t remember people not buying because of the chance of getting them, the only horse I’ve known with them was a skewbald and he died when he was 12
😔

YourValentine

Visit site
Is he grey on black skin or grey on pink skin? Just thinking skin cancer in general, I'd expect black skin to be less prone, but horses.
... 🤷‍♀️

If its any comfort, none of they greys I've known in sunnier climates than the UK have developed melanomas. They've ranged in age from 4 - 18.

BBP

Visit site
Alright vetting tentatively scheduled for thursday afternoon (subject to my vet confirming on Monday). And sorted options for him to go for a few months whilst I figure things out here for a bit.

It’s totally against what my intention was a couple of weeks ago BUT I got that feel from looking at this horse and that feel got me Boggle and wonderful Bear (even if I did end up selling him!).

If this goes through I feel good about not importing him straight away for various reasons. Or not at all if he doesn’t seem as expected.

I’ll let y’all know how it goes… this is extremely irresponsible but even my most sensible older horse friend here who has been insisting I put some money in investments thinks I should bet him. YOLO and all that.

Hopefully those on here who’ve seen him can confirm he is indeed my type and I’m not a total lunatic hehe.

Woops 🤣

Ps and yes I’m ignoring the grey issue. Horses seem to find many ways to kill themselves anyway.
Cracking type. Mortages and investments don’t provide the same therapy as listening to a horse munching hay.

Michen

Visit site
He would be an investment, just one that moves around, eats hay, and gets under your skin in the way a house, stocks or shares err don't 😂

Haha! I called my mum who last week I told with great confidence I would not be buying a horse.

She just calmly said “yes I didn’t think it would be that long until I got THIS phone call but at least I don’t have to lend you the money this time like I did for Boggle” 🤣

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Haha! I called my mum who last week I told with great confidence I would not be buying a horse.

She just calmly said “yes I didn’t think it would be that long until I got THIS phone call but at least I don’t have to lend you the money this time like I did for Boggle” 🤣
Yep had that conversation but with husband 🤣🤣

Ahrena

Visit site
Everything crossed!! You need him for his name if nothing else!

Lexi didn’t have any melanomas at all although she was only 14 when I lost her.
Willow had some under her tail but didn’t bother her and weren’t the end of her.

Trouper

Visit site
Everything crossed!! You need him for his name if nothing else!
OK - so somewhere along the way I have missed what everyone seems to know about this horse!! Any link anywhere for those of us not on FB or elsewhere??

Are you and @BBP in some competition to see who can do the fastest about-face on buying/not buying a horse? :p:p It's certainly entertaining stuff for those of us who only have ringside seats. I must say Thursday seems a long way off for more news so you are going to have fill the time for us somehow!!

I wouldn't worry about melanomas - mine were both grey and both found other ways to kill themselves before ever a melanoma appeared - just saying........................

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
Fingers firmly crossed over here! 🤞🤞🤞🤞
Having recently joined the Connie gang I can see why people love them! My sisters boy certainly has a very cheeky personality!

Michen

Visit site
He’s actually not really a Connie technically! Basically a native pony mongrel x warmblood.

I haven’t posted a link because it’s a small world and obviously this is a UK forum, don’t want to upset the seller 😊

But if he passes and is mine I will of course drop photos in!

Ifmpw

Visit site
That's a good point. though my friend recently vetted 4 year old in the UK that flexed sound but had significant remodelling of the hocks and a spur... hmmm.

It's definitely made more of a thing because I'm invested way more than his value in importing, I guess I was hoping to keep the vetting to 1500 but probably it'll end up being 2k. Which is a signficiant chunk of his sale price, but not his total price inc import.
I have had one done last week 5 starr and all x rays - including back and neck, and bloods taken £1500 including the VAT

Michen

Visit site
I have had one done last week 5 starr and all x rays - including back and neck, and bloods taken £1500 including the VAT
Thanks, I’m paying a significant chunk extra to send my vet as it’s out of his area.

Probably not necessary but he’s been such a wonderful vet for me over the last 8 years and he’s continued to consult on Boggle from 5000 miles away. So I think good to send a chunky bill his way.

Michen

Visit site
If you look at the lighter part of Boggles neck and where I’ve tried to photograph, it’s kind of puffy but also hard. Curious is this an overweight pony thing/something that happens when fat spreads? Or likely muscular from his neck complications?

I know he’s porky. Well, fat actually. Yes it worries me. I know he’s got a crest. I am just not willing to restrict his life in any way, being out doing what he wants and enjoying what time he may have is the no 1 priority and if that shortens things then so be it. We’ve had quite a bit of rain so the grass is growing again rather than burned off frustratingly.

That said he does seem to exercise himself quite a bit but there’s only so much that can be done. some angles look better than others as you can see below!

IMG_1750.jpegIMG_1755.jpeg

IMG_1753.jpeg

Sheep

Visit site
If you look at the lighter part of Boggles neck and where I’ve tried to photograph, it’s kind of puffy but also hard. Curious is this an overweight pony thing/something that happens when fat spreads? Or likely muscular from his neck complications?

I know he’s porky. Well, fat actually. Yes it worries me. I know he’s got a crest. I am just not willing to restrict his life in any way, being out doing what he wants and enjoying what time he may have is the no 1 priority and if that shortens things then so be it. We’ve had quite a bit of rain so the grass is growing again rather than burned off frustratingly.

That said he does seem to exercise himself quite a bit but there’s only so much that can be done. some angles look better than others as you can see below!

View attachment 144882View attachment 144881

View attachment 144883

I think that looks like extra chub rather than extra muscle!
He is a stunning little guy 😍

Michen

Visit site

Thank you! He’s being hilarious this morning, diving out of his stall to gallop back to the pasture the minute he saw me go to shut his run (because I have someone coming to weed and I don’t want him to terrorize them!) Then trotting back in to say “I’m ready now it just had to be my decision”.

Sheep

Visit site
Thank you! He’s being hilarious this morning, diving out of his stall to gallop back to the pasture the minute he saw me go to shut his run (because I have someone coming to weed and I don’t want him to terrorize them!) Then trotting back in to say “I’m ready now it just had to be my decision”.

He’s a huge character, I love hearing about his antics. Not so much the stressful bits of course 😅

w1bbler

Visit site

View attachment 144883
My conny was out of work for a couple of years, got very porky, but I never saw a fat deposit look like that.

palo1

Visit site

I agree - he is looking amazing but I think that might be fat that you are looking at 😍🤣! He really is looking very well and good to hear he is in high spirits! Fantastic 🐎🐎.

Peglo

Visit site
Keeping my fingers crossed for vetting @Michen

My cousin has a little British spotted pony. Pink skin with very few spots and only last year he started getting a warty thing (possibly melonoma, I’m unsure) grow on his eye lid. The vet was going to remove it but he rubbed it off before they got to. He’s 27 and still a menace.
I like a grey and there’s something about having one in the field. I wouldn’t avoid them even though I don’t really like grooming. I’m also a sucker for a pretty horse 😂 and I lack a bit of sense 😂

Glad Bog is still keeping you right. 😂

Michen

Visit site
Haha I've literally NEVER had a fat horse!

His spirits are excellent BUT I think things may be progressing, IDK. Maybe showing a pain reaction more times when itching than before, maybe a more frequent stumble when getting up from an (aggressive, Boggle style) roll.

Either way I've discounted taking him to Cali or even moving him at all. I just don't think it's the right thing to do for him. I think if I do decide to see how he copes with winter and I'm imagining the above, I need to make it work where he is and where I can manage him exactly as needed, he's in the quietest best environment etc etc. I've already made some headway with that in terms of living very close Jan, Feb, March re snow.

New horse if he comes and passes the vet can either join the others (but no facilities, albiet he's a 4 year old and can have a break over winter), or go board somewhere. I really don't want to give up my little barn, it's such a slice of heaven for me, I know if Boggle isn't there it will be very painful but I'd love to keep hold of it and make some new memories.

palo1

Visit site
Haha I've literally NEVER had a fat horse!

His spirits are excelling BUT I think things may be progressing, IDK. Maybe showing a pain reaction more times when itching than before, maybe a more frequent stumble when getting up from an (aggressive, Boggle style) roll.

Either way I've discounted taking him to Cali or even moving him at all. I just don't think it's the right thing to do for him. I think if I do decide to see how he copes with winter and I'm imagining the above, I need to make it work where he is and where I can manage him exactly as needed, he's in the quietest best environment etc etc. I've already made some headway with that in terms of living very close Jan, Feb, March re snow.

New horse if he comes and passes the vet can either join the others (but no facilities, albiet he's a 4 year old and can have a break over winter), or go board somewhere. I really don't want to give up my little barn, it's such a slice of heaven for me, I know if Boggle isn't there it will be very painful but I'd love to keep hold of it and make some new memories.
That sounds like a sensible plan and if the barn you have Boggle at is your happy place, I reckon that even if he is not physically there you may find it easier to cope, especially knowing how incredibly happy Bog has been in that amazing place; it sounds like he has made it his own, so you probably would benefit from being there too! Having a new horse there if all goes well would be potentially less pressure on you too?

Michen

Visit site
Also, that potential new horse is giving me such a good feel. Had a wobble this AM because my poor, poor friend just had the most horrific thing happen to her horse she just imported a month ago so it's been a long night and very emotional. I was thinking WTF am I doing thinking of adding this stress to myself again. Then I got some videos of the potential new guy at his second show today and he just makes me want to go pick him up right now and the anxiety melts.

Call it a gut feel, whatever, but that 100% means something to me.

Michen

Visit site
That sounds like a sensible plan and if the barn you have Boggle at is your happy place, I reckon that even if he is not physically there you may find it easier to cope, especially knowing how incredibly happy Bog has been in that amazing place; it sounds like he has made it his own, so you probably would benefit from being there too! Having a new horse there if all goes well would be potentially less pressure on you too?

I think my biggest fear is that if new horse comes say end of October (I can't/don't want to bring him over until then), if he comes to the barn and Boggle is still here but perhaps soon going to be put down or whatnot because it's when the snow starts to kick up and the weather temps start to dip which will tell me a lot about how he's going to cope, it'll be an extremely disgusting feeling for a new one to arrive and Bog to be PTS. But I just need to see how it all plays out. The dream would be Boggle remains stable, lives his best life, and all three of them potentially live together.

palo1

Visit site
I think my biggest fear is that if new horse comes say end of October (I can't/don't want to bring him over until then), if he comes to the barn and Boggle is still here but perhaps soon going to be put down or whatnot because it's when the snow starts to kick up and the weather temps start to dip which will tell me a lot about how he's going to cope, it'll be an extremely disgusting feeling for a new one to arrive and Bog to be PTS. But I just need to see how it all plays out. The dream would be Boggle remains stable, lives his best life, and all three of them potentially live together.
Well none of us know how things will pan out so you can only go forward with positivity and a plan B! If it all goes to rat- shit you will deal with it and you will still move forwards: life doesn't give us many options! The best we can do is to look for silver linings wherever we can find them. And sometimes those silver linings are really amazing. 🌞😎