Boggle- USA bound!

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
Personally I'd go for spine xrays and start of neck.
Then fetlocks and pasterns. As a lot of issues stem from here. Possibley knees / hocks. If I had to choose I'd go for socks over knees.
I'm not a fan of flexion testing to many variables on them and how they are executed.
I'd want blood tests and to pay to have them tested BEFORE you paid for the horse so any painkillers/anti inflams are picked up before you spend thousands on the horse and exporting. As let's face it returning it regardless of consumer laws isn't going to be possible
I'd also be asking for photos of teeth to analyse age.

At the vetting I'd request the horse was worked hard to check breathing/heart rate.

Michen

Visit site
I like what Palo said about the areas that are hard to treat. Thinking neck (because of personal experience really), stifles, feet and not necessarily hard to treat but too common, hocks. At 250 quid a site I probably need to keep it to four.

Maybe one more either fetlocks or back. Going to speak to my USA vet and see what they usually scan here for his American worth.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I x-ray a lot. Neck, back, stifles, hocks, knees, fetlocks, basically the whole leg, and hooves.

Is it overkill? Probably 🤣

I want to make sure my odds are as good as they can be, and also like to have a baseline for all things. I've bought horses with imperfect x-rays before, so there are some things I'll deal with.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I like what Palo said about the areas that are hard to treat. Thinking neck (because of personal experience really), stifles, feet and not necessarily hard to treat but too common, hocks. At 250 quid a site I probably need to keep it to four.

Maybe one more either fetlocks or back. Going to speak to my USA vet and see what they usually scan here for his American worth.

do the back, there are so many horses with terrible back xrays, lots work fine with no issue, but its something that could be an issue and will hugely affect resale value.

j1ffy

Visit site
Having had a horse fail last week on hock, stifle and back x-rays I'd say go for all those! I was at a clinic with the Thurman-Bakers a couple of months ago and they were saying they now have the back x-rayed before anything else, so many horses have close spinous processes these days.

Michen

Visit site
Ok thanks team. Do they usually review each X ray site as they go to halt the vetting if there’s anything major?

I really really want this damn horse. I did not expect to find something that gave me that feeling, especially when it’s in the wake of such Boggle sadness. I have a someone riding him tonight to check a few things.

Work is completely mental this week so at least I’ll be thoroughly distracted.

You will all lol at or love his name too. I love it!

j1ffy

Visit site
Ok thanks team. Do they usually review each X ray site as they go to halt the vetting if there’s anything major?

I really really want this damn horse. I did not expect to find something that gave me that feeling, especially when it’s in the wake of such Boggle sadness. I have a someone riding him tonight to check a few things.

Work is completely mental this week so at least I’ll be thoroughly distracted.

You will all lol at or love his name too. I love it!
The vet last week called me after the 5-stage to check I wanted to go ahead with the x-rays (there were a couple of minor concerns from the 5-stage). But she did all the x-rays then took them back to the equine hospital to review on a larger screen and to get the orthopaedic vet to look at them as well - I'm sure this is belt and braces as they're a hospital as well but I appreciated the additional level of scrutiny.

The downside was they had some emergencies in that evening so I didn't get the results until the next day!

Michen

Visit site
The vet last week called me after the 5-stage to check I wanted to go ahead with the x-rays (there were a couple of minor concerns from the 5-stage). But she did all the x-rays then took them back to the equine hospital to review on a larger screen and to get the orthopaedic vet to look at them as well - I'm sure this is belt and braces as they're a hospital as well but I appreciated the additional level of scrutiny.

The downside was they had some emergencies in that evening so I didn't get the results until the next day!

Ok thanks. My vet is a private practice. The x rays may get further review by Jessica Kidd from an orthopedic POV if there’s anything with a question mark. I’m hoping he can at least look quick between sites incase there’s something hugely obvious. Will speak with him.

So hard juggling it all with time difference and work to have convos!

nutjob

Visit site
I had a 5 stage with xrays done where the horse was brought to my own vet practice and as soon as something was found which would be a fail, there were no other xrays taken. Another vetting was done at the sellers yard and these were all just taken on site and then taken back to the practice for review. This was a large practice and junior vets were sent out to take the images once the initial 5 stage had gone well, they were then examined back at the clinic by a senior vet / expert.

Trouper

Visit site
I think my biggest fear is that if new horse comes say end of October (I can't/don't want to bring him over until then), if he comes to the barn and Boggle is still here but perhaps soon going to be put down or whatnot because it's when the snow starts to kick up and the weather temps start to dip which will tell me a lot about how he's going to cope, it'll be an extremely disgusting feeling for a new one to arrive and Bog to be PTS. But I just need to see how it all plays out. The dream would be Boggle remains stable, lives his best life, and all three of them potentially live together.
Try not to think of them as connected events - even if the timeline works out that way. You are dealing with two different horses with completely different needs and you can only do your best for each of them at the appropriate time. If those times coincide then that is just fate but don't try to make connections which are not really there.

Keeping fingers crossed for a very successful vetting!!

Michen

Visit site
The level of his demands that I come to him with his polos and not the other way round 🤣 I wanted him to switch runs out of Helos, how dare I!

And the little Boggle squeak at the very beginning 🤣 god how I love his squeaking! I don’t think he’s quite ready to go yet, he appears to be putting on quite the show at the moment.

Last edited:

little_critter

Visit site
Ok thanks. My vet is a private practice. The x rays may get further review by Jessica Kidd from an orthopedic POV if there’s anything with a question mark. I’m hoping he can at least look quick between sites incase there’s something hugely obvious. Will speak with him.

So hard juggling it all with time difference and work to have convos!
Thumbs up for Jessica Kidd I’ve had (rather too much 😣) experience of her.

Michen

Visit site
This time in 48 hours I’ll know if I’m going to have a new pony 💕. He’s all lined up to go to my friends yard for schooling (and where Boggle and Bear were, and where Basil is buried). Boggles rider who helped me so much with him will also come pick him up for some little xc outings.

@mavandkaz will be on hand to give him lots of polos if he does!

Michen

Visit site
@Michen what time is the vetting so we know when to check back in? 😄 keeping fingers firmly crossed, can’t wait to hear more about him once he passes.
I’m so nervous this absolutely sucks! I’ve never had a full on vetting so never been particularly worried about them passing. Gah! It’s at 2pm so 7am my time, least I don’t have to wait all day.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I’m so nervous this absolutely sucks! I’ve never had a full on vetting so never been particularly worried about them passing. Gah! It’s at 2pm so 7am my time, least I don’t have to wait all day.
Oh bless you, I’m exactly the same with these things so totally get it. Fingers crossed he flies through it and you wake up to good news 🤞🏻 (who am I kidding, if you’re anything like me you’ll be wide awake way before 7!) I’ll be thinking of you tomorrow x

Michen

Visit site
Oh bless you, I’m exactly the same with these things so totally get it. Fingers crossed he flies through it and you wake up to good news 🤞🏻 (who am I kidding, if you’re anything like me you’ll be wide awake way before 7!) I’ll be thinking of you tomorrow x
I’ll have to be awake at about 4am because I need to get a ton of work done early so that I can take calls etc from the vet.

Whilst I’m not travelling this week this is week and last is the most busy I’ve ever been work wise in my life haha, so at least I’m very distracted!

Michen

Visit site
Good luck @Michen, I hope it all works out for you. I can absolutely see why you don't think it's time for Bog yet, there's far too much life in there!

Far too much life and a LOT of spice. I suppose a horse that is still leaping around like a lunatic, squeaking and trotting or cantering everywhere can’t be in that much discomfort but IDK, we all know horses are stoic and good at masking. I just have to keep a really close eye on things.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Far too much life and a LOT of spice. I suppose a horse that is still leaping around like a lunatic, squeaking and trotting or cantering everywhere can’t be in that much discomfort but IDK, we all know horses are stoic and good at masking. I just have to keep a really close eye on things.

You know him better than anyone but surely if he was in pain he would not be quite so joyous , he looks fabulous and very perky in all the photos and videos …

Michen

Visit site
Damn I am feeling VERY overwhelmed, this is quite literally the worst possible time to be vetting a horse/potentially buying a horse. I should have pushed the vetting to next week after these RFP's were in. Work is so intense I am constantly nauseous and then this on top...

Work is not usually like this consistently, it comes in waves, of course it would be just at the worst time but then it's giving me anxiety about whether I really have the time for a ridden horse. I know that's silly because this week is not the norm but it really doesn't help when you are about to maybe make a very big purchase.. if I buy him and he comes over it's pretty much $30,000 in a new horse investment. Spending that kind of money means I need to make it worthwhile and commit time to this guy and actually get back in the saddle.

Now the million questions are going round in my brain, do I have time for this, am I even capable of a youngster, do I even want to bother riding much again. If Boggle is still around, will he like the new one. yadadada. I got too cocky when I said I had no horse purchase anxiety!!!!

Ok deep breath he's not even passed a vetting yet so could be worthless worrying.

I'm Dun

Visit site
Damn I am feeling VERY overwhelmed, this is quite literally the worst possible time to be vetting a horse/potentially buying a horse. I should have pushed the vetting to next week after these RFP's were in. Work is so intense I am constantly nauseous and then this on top...

Work is not usually like this consistently, it comes in waves, of course it would be just at the worst time but then it's giving me anxiety about whether I really have the time for a ridden horse. I know that's silly because this week is not the norm but it really doesn't help when you are about to maybe make a very big purchase.. if I buy him and he comes over it's pretty much $30,000 in a new horse investment. Spending that kind of money means I need to make it worthwhile and commit time to this guy and actually get back in the saddle.

Now the million questions are going round in my brain, do I have time for this, am I even capable of a youngster, do I even want to bother riding much again. If Boggle is still around, will he like the new one. yadadada. I got too cocky when I said I had no horse purchase anxiety!!!!

Ok deep breath he's not even passed a vetting yet so could be worthless worrying.

Everyone gets like this with a new horse. It happens to me every time, and it always works out just fine. So just acknowledge your worries, label them normal new horse nerves and forget about them as much as you can.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Now the million questions are going round in my brain, do I have time for this, am I even capable of a youngster, do I even want to bother riding much again.

I've felt/feel the same, so I get it. We seem to be surviving though. I'm sure you can too. It's fine to have goals and whatnot, but don't put too much pressure on yourself.

Last edited: