Boggle- USA bound!

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
He sounds a lot like my last horse, and quite a bit like my current horse in some ways. So apparently he's my type 🤣 these types will teach you a lot, and if done right, will turn into one of the best horses you'll ever have. They can be extremely rewarding, but there are times where your mental resilience will be tested.

I'd go see him. He does sound like he'd benefit from more ground work and is probably the type that likes to "bond" with and know his human.

Caol Ila

Visit site
He doesn't sound dissimilar from Hermosa, who was not born as the most confident horse in the world. It wasn't something she learned from her mother, who was at the bottom of the pecking order in the broodmare herd, and I was told she was bullied by the other mares.

I think if they are curious and intelligent and don't totally lose the plot when something scares them, they can learn confidence with calm, patient training. And you don't have to be Buck Brannaman to work with them. I'm definitely not.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I knew a woman some years back that had a Morgan and she wasn't the easiest but the woman was complete numpty and the horse just knew it, she had a young girl that schooled her and she never had an issue but the girl could ride.

I also rode a part bred one years ago and she was not for a novice scared the hell out of a few people, but she was just all bounce and fire she never did anything horrible in the years I knew her.

I think you will be fine with one.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I also rode a part bred one years ago and she was not for a novice scared the hell out of a few people, but she was just all bounce and fire she never did anything horrible in the years I knew her.

I feel like I've experienced this with Morgan's and Arabs, really. There's some fire and hotness, but I've never felt in danger.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Yes definitely my 2 Arab's can be hot heads but they are not dangerous just silly jumping around.

I do think horses feel different even when they're messing around.. my old warmblood felt like he may disappear at any given moment, even when walking along. But Dex, even when he's had a little bronc or was spinning at the beach, never feels like he's going to teleport from under you, he always feels safe - and there's a huge difference in the feeling, even though externally it may look way different.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I do think horses feel different even when they're messing around.. my old warmblood felt like he may disappear at any given moment, even when walking along. But Dex, even when he's had a little bronc or was spinning at the beach, never feels like he's going to teleport from under you, he always feels safe - and there's a huge difference in the feeling, even though externally it may look way different.
They so do my Louis can really twist and you really feel anything he does abd he can spin so fast, yet Arabi is smaller and you hardly feel anything he does his no where as athletic 🤣🤣

Tarragon

Visit site
I think he sounds fun! You will know when you meet him if he is a horse that you want to work with, and I think he is at just the right point in his life to be started. I have a good feeling about this :)

Michen

Visit site
Well even better my company are kindly paying for my Seattle- Calgary flight, mainly as I could prove it is $4 cheaper then flying me back to Denver ;)

So the cost of going to see him is around $200 by the time I've bought my friends lunch for driving me there!

Annagain

Visit site
I know exactly what you mean. My Sec D Ebony was, to the casual observer, bonkers. He spent more time on two feet than 4, he couldn't stand still, he would go sideways or backwards rather than forwards if he got his knickers in a twist but it was pure excitement and joie de vivre. Charlie had a few leaping incidents with me which were nothing compared to what Eb used to do but they felt really threatening, as if he was about to completely explode.

Michen

Visit site
I know exactly what you mean. My Sec D Ebony was, to the casual observer, bonkers. He spent more time on two feet than 4, he couldn't stand still, he would go sideways or backwards rather than forwards if he got his knickers in a twist but it was pure excitement and joie de vivre. Charlie had a few leaping incidents with me which were nothing compared to what Eb used to do but they felt really threatening, as if he was about to completely explode.

Yeah same with Bog once he was on side, he never exploded again. He did scare off some potential sharers, the only ones who stuck with him (and subsequently became two of my best friends and one bought Bear) were the ones who believed me when I told them he may make you feel like you are about to die at times, but I promise you he won’t act on it.

I recall one having to lead him back from a solo hack and she was a damn good rider but didn’t trust what I told her 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: RHM

Michen

Visit site
I think it's easy to look at how Bog is now and forget that it wasn't always plain sailing and that you weren't keen when he first arrived and thought you could always sell him on. (That only lasted a few days at most, I think?) You helped to make him the horse he is today.

Yes I was reading some old threads and reminding myself of all the challenges. That horse bought me to tears so, so many times. BUT I have learned a lot and from Bear and 8 years on I am also more mentally mature too, so I’d like to think I’d do things better.

The thing about Bog was I just couldn't ever have sold him really, even though I think he did at one point end up on Facebook and nfed. For a matter of hours. His personality was just like nothing I’d ever met before or since and you just don’t sell horses like that.

Sigh, it really fricking sucks, I know there are other amazing horses out there but it’s just not going to be the same or close to it. What I wouldn’t give to be in the saddle on Bog. He’s like a part of my soul!

But it is what it is and whilst I’m still young, and financially free, I do want to continue riding and whilst I adore Beau and could basically treat him as my own and do whatever I want with him, it’s not the same. And that leads me back to actually yes I do kinda want a youngster because that’s probably what doesn’t light my fire with Beau, he’s a finished product (bar from a competing standpoint). Like what @Trouper said.

BBP

Visit site
Honestly, despite what I said earlier (and probably reading the description through BBP tinted glasses), I get how you feel. An up and running mature horse should have been the way to go at this point. But I like the journey, I like the relationship building, and so although a young horse might not seem a sensible choice, I feel way more excited about my new horse than I have at the prospect of sitting on anything else.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Well the Morgan trot up video got through my vet... I'm still waiting for a ridden one lol. But I've just booked some flights to go see him on the 6th September.

Look at his little face he is rather sweet! I suppose a grey would have been too much of a curveball given every horse I've ever owned has been bay, lol. Or maybe Basil would have been classed as brown, don't know how colourings work!

View attachment 145129
To me he has a little look of Boggle! His eyes are a bit sad and worried but he looks lovely! I have a feeling he might be right for you.

Ahrena

Visit site
Youngsters come with their challenges but it is so so so satisfying.
I shouldn’t of got a youngster either with my confidence in tatters and Nutmeg has had me in tears so many times and been advertised at least twice but when we get it right, it’s worth all of that a thousand times over.

You are capable and have the capacity and willingness to ask for help and that’s most of the battle.

Floofball

Visit site
Just catching up with everything, sorry the grey didn’t work out but it did seem a complicated process and one I think you may’ve found frustrating, having other people so far away working with him etc. I think you definitely need something in your barn that you can play about with. You enjoyed having Dusty around and working with him. You should be confident in your abilities and instincts to bring out the best in a younger horse, you always do what’s best for them. Just trust your gut feelings when you go to see any horse, any doubts or red flags walk away.
Talking of your barn, I may’ve missed some updates, but are you staying put now or have you moved?

Michen

Visit site
Just catching up with everything, sorry the grey didn’t work out but it did seem a complicated process and one I think you may’ve found frustrating, having other people so far away working with him etc. I think you definitely need something in your barn that you can play about with. You enjoyed having Dusty around and working with him. You should be confident in your abilities and instincts to bring out the best in a younger horse, you always do what’s best for them. Just trust your gut feelings when you go to see any horse, any doubts or red flags walk away.
Talking of your barn, I may’ve missed some updates, but are you staying put now or have you moved?

I am staying put for now. I pretty much decided that moving Boggle anywhere was not the right thing to do. I am going to see how he does when the snow hits the ground and any glimmer of a change in him and I’ll PTS straight away.

I’m lucky that my friends very generously offered their house up again when they go to Arizona, so Jan- March I can be in walking distance from the barn. And my barn neighbour said she can help in a snow emergency.

So I’m just going to let it pan out. I have no idea if I’m doing the right thing and maybe I’m not and I’ll bitterly regret not putting Bog down sooner but he is just so, so full of life at the moment it doesn’t feel like his time is here.

Floofball

Visit site
I am staying put for now. I pretty much decided that moving Boggle anywhere was not the right thing to do. I am going to see how he does when the snow hits the ground and any glimmer of a change in him and I’ll PTS straight away.

I’m lucky that my friends very generously offered their house up again when they go to Arizona, so Jan- March I can be in walking distance from the barn. And my barn neighbour said she can help in a snow emergency.

So I’m just going to let it pan out. I have no idea if I’m doing the right thing and maybe I’m not and I’ll bitterly regret not putting Bog down sooner but he is just so, so full of life at the moment it doesn’t feel like his time is here.

Well I think you’re doing the right thing there 👌🏻 he seems so happy atm and you don’t have to worry about another move flaring up ulcers etc. How amazing that you can be so close to him for the worst of the winter, hopefully he’ll cope fine with everything and if not, well, there’s your answer! Keep enjoying these good days - photos are fantastic! And hopefully you’ll soon have a distraction - that Bog will be thoroughly jealous of 😂

Michen

Visit site
Well I think you’re doing the right thing there 👌🏻 he seems so happy atm and you don’t have to worry about another move flaring up ulcers etc. How amazing that you can be so close to him for the worst of the winter, hopefully he’ll cope fine with everything and if not, well, there’s your answer! Keep enjoying these good days - photos are fantastic! And hopefully you’ll soon have a distraction - that Bog will be thoroughly jealous of 😂

Yeah I just don't think moving is right for him. If he's so fragile that he can't cope with the winter/snow, then in my mind he probably doesn't have a summer left anyway, so it's kind of my answer?

Thank you- we shall see!

Michen

Visit site
I think you are doing the right thing. I wouldnt be able to pts a happy horse just in case he can not cope. He might surprise you and still be here this time next year. If not you know him well enough to call it a day quickly if needs be. I hope you have more time left with him.

He may well. I spoke to my UK vet who was much more relaxed about oral daily steroids and said horses can live on them quite happily for years.

He's not on any pain relief, just the steroids.

LouisCat

Visit site
I'm a bit late to the party but I think you're doing the right thing going to see the Morgan, you need to reduce that wondering/ what if from your mind!

My only thought on it is from what I read on here your job is quite consuming/stressful and involves a lot of travel. Do you have the time to provide consistency for a (potentially reactive) youngster? My apologies if I've misunderstood things you've posted before 😊 I just know how hard the days can be being chilled with my youngster when work is hard 😅

Michen

Visit site
I'm a bit late to the party but I think you're doing the right thing going to see the Morgan, you need to reduce that wondering/ what if from your mind!

My only thought on it is from what I read on here your job is quite consuming/stressful and involves a lot of travel. Do you have the time to provide consistency for a (potentially reactive) youngster? My apologies if I've misunderstood things you've posted before 😊 I just know how hard the days can be being chilled with my youngster when work is hard 😅

No I totally don’t lol! But my travel does come in waves. Not going anywhere for a month then back to back. I somehow make it work having two horses on DIY that are a 50 min round trip from my house haha.

I do have a good potential rider lined up who can help!

EventingMum

Visit site
@Michen from reading your posts over the years it is obvious you are a very capable person that will make things work whatever the circumstances especially where your beloved Bog is concerned. I really hope the morgan is what you are looking for in a horse and if he is he will be one very lucky horse to come to you.

Michen

Visit site
@Michen from reading your posts over the years it is obvious you are a very capable person that will make things work whatever the circumstances especially where your beloved Bog is concerned. I really hope the morgan is what you are looking for in a horse and if he is he will be one very lucky horse to come to you.

That is very kind thank you. Hopefully what I may lack in natural riding talent is made up for by grit and determination lol!