Boggle- USA bound!

Caol Ila

Visit site
I am obsessed with his stripe

It's a good stripe. Hermosa has one too, though not as clean and pronounced (I guess the difference between dun and nd1). I think it would be weird to have a horse without a dorsal stripe. It's not the most flattering photo. Due to the angle of the sun and the layout of the barn, I had to stand inside the stable so couldn't wiggle around for a better camera position, lol.

She has more weird countershading. All the dark bits on her neck and withers.

7092cae2-5697-4aea-802e-04b72bbe0389.jpg

Michen

Visit site
I don't know how much he has travelled/done but I really like the fact he is facing this experience with a degree of courage - his eye looks a bit worried but from what I can see of his body, he is taking this straight on. I hope it goes well - I really like the look of him!

The seller has text me to say he’s basically trying to investigate everything and see who’s in the office and what’s at the end of the runway whilst being trotted up. lol.

I think that’s the thing with him he’s cheeky and inquisitive but worried.

Michen

Visit site
Sigh. It’s a no. Lame on both hinds post flexion and not insignificant- 3/10. And off even on straight trot up before flexion, both hinds but intermittent and hard to see (ironically more on the right).

He said he’d defo want stifle and hock x rays but even if they were clean he’d still be concerned.

I know flexions are a bit marmite but ultimately he’s not done much, he has a behavioural thing, and yes it could be he’s growing and changing etc but it doesn’t really feel like it. And it’s not even just flexion. And apparently he literally couldn’t/wouldn’t canter today which I saw when I viewed but put the flat fast canter down as a baby thing. Not so much now he’s lame.

Sad but this is why we vet isn’t it! Not meant to be.

Edited this post a bit as received full vet report. And happy to share this one as this isn’t a me being fussy like the grey in UK- this is lame.

Last edited:

Michen

Visit site
I feel so bad for the horse, gah, I'd love to scoop him up anyway and if he was free to a good home maybe I would take him anyway but I'm just not laying down any cash for a horse that young, with a behavioural problem, that's flexing that positive etc.

Last edited:

palo1

Visit site
Sigh. It’s a no. Lame on both hinds post flexion and not insignificant- 3/10. And very slightly off even on straight trot up but intermittent and hard to see (ironically more on the right).

He said he’d defo want stifle and hock x rays but even if they were clean he’d still be a bit concerned.

I know flexions are a bit marmite but ultimately he’s not done much, he has a behavioural thing, and yes it could be he’s growing and changing etc but it doesn’t really feel like it.

Sad but this is why we vet isn’t it! Not meant to be.
Aw, that is really disappointing. Poor guy too. But great you can walk away and thank goodness for the vetting and clarity about what is there. So sorry, but the right horse, a sound horse, will come along.

Michen

Visit site
Aw, that is really disappointing. Poor guy too. But great you can walk away and thank goodness for the vetting and clarity about what is there. So sorry, but the right horse, a sound horse, will come along.

It's so hard because it's always a gamble, it could be nothing, it could be something, and his little face. But I hvae to remember WHY I was vetting and he's young and hasn't even been properly worked in weeks. There's no reason to be failing on both hinds like that unless there's something there. The vet said he'd have started with stifles if we were to look.

Kunoichi73

Visit site
Oh that's so sad for you. He looks like a lovely chap. The right one will come along at some point.

Not that it helps but you can console yourself with an ATV in the short term.

YourValentine

Visit site
Oh no! 😞 Poor him to fail so young.

And bugger for you too, he did seem ideal and as you say has a lovely face 😞 but I guess this is what vetting are for.

I think we were all as invested in him as you. But hopefully something else will turn up, 3rd time lucky and all that.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Aw, man. That sucks. But I guess it’s why we vet.

Fin and Gypsum both passed their flexions. Didn’t flex Hermosa ‘cause she was two and not really halter broke, so it wasn’t feasible to do them. But she was cheap and local so I took a punt.

Michen

Visit site
Yeh and he was lame before the flexions anyway- more clear in the report I've just been sent (so quick and professional!).

Poor guy has something going on.

dougpeg

Visit site
I'm sad for you. He does look a lovely chap. Think it's the right decision though. I know flexion tests are controversial but done right I think they do help inform decision making. I would expect a young horse to pass them. My youngster did when I purchased him, and again when I sold him some time later. My 18 year horse passed them all bar one leg where she was 1/10 lame, that leg had a known old injury. 3/10 lame is not insignificant.

Last edited:

Michen

Visit site
There’s a horse out there I guess. Just how to find it. I’ve only found two that I wanted to vet in.. I dunno. More than 6 months of keeping an eye out for sure.

BBP

Visit site
Ah I’m super sorry. I know I was pretty much the only voice of doubt on here (thinking reactive horse in the way you described often = pain) but I didn’t want to be correct. I knew mine wouldn’t pass a vet. Told the owner I couldn’t have her as I didn’t think she would pass, then felt so gutted and made a stupid offer anyway without a vetting 🤦🏼‍♀️. So I am not one to be giving advice! But I was happy to buy one on her potential to be a lovely big pet if she couldnt be ridden so it’s a bit different.

Your next horse is out there, it is just waiting to time its appearance just right. And hopefully Jacks owners will get him investigated and on the path to feeling better.