Boggle- USA bound!

palo1

Visit site
I can't believe how bummed I am- I did not feel this sad over the grey. Maybe because of the feedback of the horse itself being too small/not quite my type from my own vet. Whereas this horse I sat on and loved the shape of.

I dunno. Gah! So gutted!
Yes, it is gutting. But you don't want or need any more heartbreak and you would totally live on the edge of anxiety or actual veterinary intervention with this young horse. And it is likely he would not stand up to a level of work for years to come. It is sad and I hope he gets whatever is possible - he's really lovely ! There will be a fab new horse somewhere for you though.

Peglo

Visit site
Sorry to hear that. Poor lad does sound like he’s got a bit going on with him.
I’m another that took a punt on a pretty face with the knowledge she might be just that (or could be perfectly fine) but she was cheap. Give it a few days and if he’s still on your mind maybe offer a very cheeky offer but after your initial disappointment you might feel ok about it in a day or 2.

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
What a shame. Fingers crossed his owners manage to find the problem and do what they can to fix him.
Maybe the next horse you like will be a bit closer to you? Isn't it usually fate that works that way!

nutjob

Visit site
I wouldn't fancy trying to get and keep a horse sound for eventing, even at a low level, which has a bilateral hind limb lameness problem at age 5 with almost no work so far. My horse with DSLD / ESPA trotted up sound until he had alternate hind suspensories blocked,.

He does look like a really sweet boy, but down the line it will be more heartbreaking if he has something which can't be fixed.

The right one will come along!

Trouper

Visit site
The minute you look into their eyes you get invested in them - it's such a b*****r - and just want to do something for them to sort it. Hope his current owner does but it is so hard to walk away.

Hope there is another little person out there for you soon.

equinerebel

Visit site
That's such a shame, I'm sorry! Mine fails a flexion on her hinds, but she's 18, has had a long and fun life jumping and tearing around the countryside, and we know she has arthritis. For such a young horse to fail on the same thing is definitely a concern.

What is meant to be, will be 🙏

ImmyS

Visit site
Sorry about Jack!! He seemed like a sweet horse, hopefully he will land on his feet once they get him sorted.

I normally lurk but saw this add and thought of you.. I can’t post the full add for some reason but seemed like the type you are looking for?

IMG_2487.png

Caol Ila

Visit site
You should try posting on the COTH forum. Given it's American, someone there might have eyes on something.

Also follow up on that FB post I made. A few people had ideas that could be worth investigating.

If I was in your shoes, I'd try really really hard to avoid importing because of the faff and paperwork and extra $$$$$$, the stress of Transatlantic transport on the horse, and the fact that it rules out mares due to the quarantine requirements.

I assume you're regularly perusing Dreamhorse?

Some Morgans:

Then I looked for Saddlebred crosses because that would give you the presence you like:

https://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/22813...arabian-gelding-this-is-it-ff-california.html (Saddlebred x Arab..... if you like them fiery!)

https://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/22800...bay-mare-one-mare-multiple-tasks-vermont.html (Cleveland Bay x Saddlebred)

And I know you said PREs were not your thing but look at this guy: https://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/22684...o-andalusian-gelding-for-sale-california.html

I'd be all over that.

Just some examples after ten minutes on Dreamhorse. Their interface isn't the easiest.

Last edited:

EventingMum

Visit site
I'm sorry for you and Jack but glad it was something something so definite so that the decision was pretty easy - lame is lame - as opposed to a grey area. You don't need more worrying and stress after all you've been through lately. The "right" horse will be there for you in the future and hopefully we'll have posts all about the fun you'll be having with him or her.

Michen

Visit site
Thanks everyone! I am 100% running from Jack.

Also kind of shocking- not a word from the seller despite me sending a very pleasant and disappointed for us all message, and asking the vet to fully disclose everything we discussed. I had a message from her friend who was going to transport him into the USA basically saying it was silly to pass up a horse based on flexions. Except it wasn’t just that- actually now having received the full vet report he’s noted as lame in both finds even before flexion. Plus, all the other “stuff”.

I have sent the entire report to the seller (which shows every test, every leg, every lameness) and actually found the owner and sent it to her on Facebook too though I’m not sure she will see it as doesn’t look like she’s active. I know that all maybe seems a little crazy but based on the above I feel it may get passed off as he’s fine, and I’m a picky buyer, and I have no idea if the owner knows exactly what’s happened with this horse and she needs to.

I’ll probably be outcast from the Morgan showing world but I can live with that :)

I’ll look at all the posts and horses properly when I’ve had a cuppa! Thank you for your kind messages, I was really, really bummed yesterday for me and for Jack but it is what it is and no I don’t need to knowingly take on a load of heartache.

feesh

Visit site
I keep hoping the Morgan breeder local to me will have something that will suit you, because on paper they seem like a good match: they are breeding for sport rather than show, they make a point of putting trail miles on their youngsters, and they have experience with cross-border shipping... but I'm not sure there's anything particularly exciting for sale right now. Maybe they have a secret perfect match that's not on their website??

Cloball

Visit site
I don't know why this guy made me think of you.

I suppose Jack being in pain would explain some of the issues they had with starting him? Maybe it wasn't just rushing him? Such a shame.

Michen

Visit site
I don't know why this guy made me think of you.

I suppose Jack being in pain would explain some of the issues they had with starting him? Maybe it wasn't just rushing him? Such a shame.

Wow I actually love the horse underneath him in NV! The big chestnut. He doesn’t even look like an arab. Sale pending though!

I need to be careful with Arabs as I don’t like the ride on my friends 15.1hh, not enough neck in front me me (sounds odd when they look like they do) and wasn’t keen on the feel. He’s very.. araby. lol.

Cloball

Visit site
I think with Arabs they can vary so much in type, I liked the chestnut too 🥰. The french/racing types look more TB, the little Egyptian types can feel very small and feel small whereas the Crabbet old/English types can be very wide and have massive shoulders. But I can hardly talk I ride a 13.2 🤪

Caol Ila

Visit site
Wow I actually love the horse underneath him in NV! The big chestnut. He doesn’t even look like an arab. Sale pending though!

I need to be careful with Arabs as I don’t like the ride on my friends 15.1hh, not enough neck in front me me (sounds odd when they look like they do) and wasn’t keen on the feel. He’s very.. araby. lol.

The right Arab or Arab X will have the temperament you like, plus they are plentiful.

I think not liking the ride on one horse shouldn't preclude an entire breed. :) They are all individuals, and horses of the same breed can feel completely different to one another. Especially breeds like Arabs where they vary a lot in type.

I hope Jack's owners do the right thing and investigate the lameness. Poor guy. But you don't want to start with a problem.

SEL

Visit site
I can't believe how bummed I am- I did not feel this sad over the grey. Maybe because of the feedback of the horse itself being too small/not quite my type from my own vet. Whereas this horse I sat on and loved the shape of.

I dunno. Gah! So gutted!
You were emotionally invested in Jack - and if he was a local freebie he'd probably be in your barn right now.

But I stopped gathering up local freebies when I realised the vet bills cost more than buying a sound horse!

The right one will come along and you've done right by him disclosing the vet's findings. It sounds like he could do with some investigation to see what's going on.

SEL

Visit site
I think with Arabs they can vary so much in type, I liked the chestnut too 🥰. The french/racing types look more TB, the little Egyptian types can feel very small and feel small whereas the Crabbet old/English types can be very wide and have massive shoulders. But I can hardly talk I ride a 13.2 🤪
Yup. I rode Egyptian Arabs in Botswana and felt huge (I'm 5'3") then one of Barb ancestry - so I was told - in Tunisia and she was a powerful chunk. Her owner was a bloke who must have weighed in at 15 stone and did endurance type distances on her. Changed my view somewhat.

Michen

Visit site
I know I’m just so sad 😞 I also emailed the practice this morning, Jacks owners are their clients and I’ve asked them to please make sure the report gets to them. I really hope this isn’t ignored for him.

Poor, poor horse. He’s screaming that he can’t do it. I just want to go give him a hug.

But I won’t I will go hug Bog instead who did cheer me up yesterday just being him. I love that I can be pottering around poo picking and then just randomly call him over and he’s like yep! Coming!!