Boggle- USA bound!

palo1

Visit site
Hawkeye is a fabulous name for an Arab stallion or a Welsh D all snorting and prancy.
Bagel more appropriate for a chestnut pony. 😆
But THE Hawkeye, aka Alan Alda, was not the prancy or snorty type I don't think. That !might have been Hotlips Houlihan...) Hawkeye was much more clever pony material I reckon lol. Now this topic is totally derailed 😂 I wanted to add that inspiration from The Maltese Cat could also be taken...

MurphysMinder

Visit site
But THE Hawkeye, aka Alan Alda, was not the prancy or snorty type I don't think. That !might have been Hotlips Houlihan...) Hawkeye was much more clever pony material I reckon lol. Now this topic is totally derailed 😂 I wanted to add that inspiration from The Maltese Cat could also be taken...

That's the Hawkeye I immediately thought of, then going back even further there was a Hawkeye in Last of Mohicans , probably before most of you were born.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I love Biscuit. As an avid LOTR fan I don’t think I could have a pony called Bilbo because I would just want to shout “BILBO BAGGINS! Do not take me for a conjuror of cheap tricks!” Every time I saw him 😂 (doing my best impression of Gandalf of course)
but then again who doesn’t love quoting LOTR on a daily basis 😂

When Bo is being cheeky, I call him Bobo Baggins. 😆

palo1

Visit site
It needs to be a B ideally.... keeping with the theme.

It can't be Benny because he will get shortened to Ben which I don't like. Bagel, Barney, Bilbo (I do love lord of the rings..)....

Always good to name a horse before it vets lol
I like Bagel and Biscuit but immediately thought of Banjo! 🤣 We are all so helpful aren't we? 🤪

Tarragon

Visit site
I had an Exmoor pony called Bilbo Baggins and it suited him perfectly - I think they have to be brown, short legged and hairy to get the name! Not sleek and chestnut :)

GrassChop

Visit site
I like Hawkeye too.
Is this for the young chestnut? How old is he and when is he being vetted? And what breed is he? Sorry, I probably missed it!

Caol Ila

Visit site
There's a Bagel at my yard -- he's a nice guy who does well for his kid, but a bit dopey. Not the sharpest tool in the shed.

I also would stick with Hawkeye because my association is also with Alan Alda's character from MASH, and it suits his wee face.

I like keeping names if I can, but it must fit certain criteria. If it doesn't, it gets changed.

1. Does the original name make me cringe? Is it stupid? Will I feel mortified every time I answer the question, "What's your horse's name?"

2. Does it share a name with any exes?

3. Does it share a name with anyone I'm semi-regularly in contact with? If it has a human name, and it's someone I haven't thought about in 20 years, that's fine (unless I dated them), but if my brain immediately associates the name with someone I know, then that's not fine.

4. Does it share a name with any family members (I know someone who called a horse Forrest, which is my brother's name)?

5. Does it share a name with any horses I know or have known?

Hermosa got to keep her name, which is the name on her passport. As did Gypsum. Fin is passported as Balmenach of Auchness. I wasn't going to use that because it would get shortened to Bally, which would annoy me. His previous owner called him "Moose," a violation of rule 1. I actually renamed him Foinavon, after a mountain up north (and apparently a racehorse, which I was unaware of at the time....annoyingly, because people have asked, did you name him after the racehorse? Had I known it was a famous racehorse, I would have picked a different bloody mountain!), but everyone shortened it to Fin.

When I was horse hunting, I looked at a horse who's barn name was Minx. I would have got shot of that because it broke rule 1. Really terrible. Has such misogynistic connotations. Her passport name was actually alright so probably would have gone with that, or maybe called her Maebh. I also looked at one called Ella, which broke both rules 3 and 5. I know someone called Ella, and there was horse at my barn at the time named Ella.

Last edited:

Ossy2

Visit site
I’ll be honest I think if it’s called Hawkeye I’d keep it and shorten to Hawk, I quite like Hawk and don’t see why it needs changing. As he’s just a project I don’t see how you would want to get more attached to him by having Bag and Bog. But it’s not my horse, my situation or my choice.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I’ll be honest I think if it’s called Hawkeye I’d keep it and shorten to Hawk, I quite like Hawk and don’t see why it needs changing. As he’s just a project I don’t see how you would want to get more attached to him by having Bag and Bog. But it’s not my horse, my situation or my choice.

That is a fair point. I bought an unbacked project many years ago, with the name of Dante. Not an awful name, but I wasn't completely sold on it. It didn't break any rules, in fairness, and he was 100% getting sold after backing and riding away because I was leaving the country and only taking one horse. I kept the name because it wasn't actually cringey* and there was no point in giving him one I liked more if he was being sold anyway.

*I now know a mare called Dante. I would have changed it if he'd been a mare because as far as I know, that's an Italian boy's name, and that would annoy me if it was my horse. But I don't think a lot of people around here have read The Inferno.

tda

Visit site
There's a Bagel at my yard -- he's a nice guy who does well for his kid, but a bit dopey. Not the sharpest tool in the shed.

I also would stick with Hawkeye because my association is also with Alan Alda's character from MASH, and it suits his wee face.

I like keeping names if I can, but it must fit certain criteria. If it doesn't, it gets changed.

1. Does the original name make me cringe? Is it stupid? Will I feel mortified every time I answer the question, "What's your horse's name?"

2. Does it share a name with any exes?

3. Does it share a name with anyone I'm semi-regularly in contact with? If it has a human name, and it's someone I haven't thought about in 20 years, that's fine (unless I dated them), but if my brain immediately associates the name with someone I know, then that's not fine.

4. Does it share a name with any family members (I know someone who called a horse Forrest, which is my brother's name)?

5. Does it share a name with any horses I know or have known?

Hermosa got to keep her name, which is the name on her passport. As did Gypsum. Fin is passported as Balmenach of Auchness. I wasn't going to use that because it would get shortened to Bally, which would annoy me. His previous owner called him "Moose," a violation of rule 1. I actually renamed him Foinavon, after a mountain up north (and apparently a racehorse, which I was unaware of at the time....annoyingly, because people have asked, did you name him after the racehorse? Had I known it was a famous racehorse, I would have picked a different bloody mountain!), but everyone shortened it to Fin.

When I was horse hunting, I looked at a horse who's barn name was Minx. I would have got shot of that because it broke rule 1. Really terrible. Has such misogynistic connotations. Her passport name was actually alright so probably would have gone with that, or maybe called her Maebh. I also looked at one called Ella, which broke both rules 3 and 5. I know someone called Ella, and there was horse at my barn at the time named Ella.
I like your rules 😂
I've called most of the ponies I've bred after my family members 🙈

Pinkvboots

Visit site
BTW guys if the chestnut passes the vet I'm going to call him Bagel. Or Barney after my cheeky godson (he'd love that). Either way he cannot be the Hawkeye he's currently called so he might as well be a B.

And I'm really loving Bagels at the moment. Hehe.
Omg Hawkeye that's just wrong😂

I like Barney as I like human names for animals over anything else.