Boggle- USA bound!

dorsetladette

Visit site
I mean I can’t fit my arse in anything smaller than a 17 inch saddle so could be problematic 🤣

I'm so happy for you M. He looks a lovely sort. I'm thinking he's very similar to a lovely new forest pony local to me. He's plucky little fella still doing workers classes into his 20's his name is golden sovereign (I think his stable name is fred). But his is a super cool dude. And I'm not a new forest person myself, but he's lovely.

I can't help with names. I've always been one not to change names, but we did with Reggie as his given/passport name was a bit lame (magic).

I doubt very much your statement above is correct. I'm currently riding in a 15inch saddle as my pony is so stubborn he refused to grow! if I can get my chubby backside in that I'm sure you can too!

I'm sure come spring he's be built differently. Looks like he'll have some nice shoulders once he's filled out properly.

Best of luck with him - luck forward to seeing your partnership develop.

PS - 3 is the magic number!

Michen

Visit site
Thank you all!! I can’t wait to go back up and see him in daylight. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed with his size which is silly because I KNEW he wouldn’t be Bog size, his build was clear to see and I said many pages ago he would be a little small and therefore just a project (and he does still have the potential to fill out). I guess it’s a credit to him that I liked his personality so much from what I saw that I’d be bummed if he can’t be long term ;). And I have to remember I’m looking at him compared to a very mature and rather rounded horse.

In any case, I’m looking forward to what this one teaches me- hopefully not as much as I can teach him.

Here he is at the moment, tired little baby. I know how he feels lol- 5am coffee is on!

IMG_2639.png

dixie

Visit site
If it helps, this is the change in my youngster between 4 & 6yrs - he was quite weedy when I first got him.
Admittedly he does has Irish Draft in his blood though but yours little chap is bum high and should also fill out - so fingers crossed.

Attachments

• 2023-07-26 18.50.39.jpg
    2023-07-26 18.50.39.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 170

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
Thank you all!! I can’t wait to go back up and see him in daylight. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed with his size which is silly because I KNEW he wouldn’t be Bog size, his build was clear to see and I said many pages ago he would be a little small and therefore just a project (and he does still have the potential to fill out). I guess it’s a credit to him that I liked his personality so much from what I saw that I’d be bummed if he can’t be long term ;). And I have to remember I’m looking at him compared to a very mature and rather rounded horse.

In any case, I’m looking forward to what this one teaches me- hopefully not as much as I can teach him.

Here he is at the moment, tired little baby. I know how he feels lol- 5am coffee is on!

View attachment 147158
Lovely to see him settled enough already to lie down. He’s gorgeous and such a stunning colour. I’ve got a really good feeling about him. 3rd time lucky in your horse hunt.

Michen

Visit site
Lovely to see him settled enough already to lie down. He’s gorgeous and such a stunning colour. I’ve got a really good feeling about him. 3rd time lucky in your horse hunt.

Same! He was so cute last night when I left, discovered he loves to have his nostrils blown into very quick.

Definitely not a scared or nervous type like Bear was, but much more… humble than Boggle. I’ll know more when I see his expression over the door in a few hours…

Tarragon

Visit site
I think it won't be until next summer that we see the biggest difference. He will look a bit weedy for a while, while he grows his winter coat, but when he has had a belly full of spring grass and a glossy red summer coat he will look amazing! I can't wait to see the transformation.
I do like the expression in his eyes - nice boy :)

Michen

Visit site
Yes true! I’m definitely not getting on him properly or even at all this year. He’s had a rider up twice. He can do some long reining, go on some walks, I’ll lean over a bit and he can where a bit of tack between now and end of October when snow really begins. Then he can eat and grow and have snowball fights with bog.

Michen

Visit site
I think I don’t like Hawk because I think or something a little sinister somehow, a bit scary. He’s bright and happy and.. I just can’t imagine him as Hawk.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how much he fills out and how much taller he grows.

Hermosa at 3. Who is this horse? Would you buy this horse? I'm 5'4, so you can see she is nowhere near 15hh in the photo on the tarp. You can see why I was thinking of backing and selling on, lol.

IMG_0951 2.JPG277579500_10101012343746915_3978118068509542933_n.jpg

Hermosa at 6. Much better.

IMG_2794.JPG448943080_10101220822438945_5483349906404987020_n.jpg448925708_10101219229261685_6639620062258366929_n.jpg

Annagain

Visit site
eI'm late to the party but what a lovely little horse you've got there, Michen!

Is it too late to suggest Baloo? Keeping with the B and the Bear theme, seeing as Bear was also a project!

ETA - you could extend the theme for every subsequent horse so the next one could then have the B + Jungle Book theme and be a Bagheera, then the next could be a cat name with a B (Bagpuss? 😆) and so on..

Last edited:

Michen

Visit site
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how much he fills out and how much taller he grows.

Hermosa at 3. Who is this horse? Would you buy this horse? I'm 5'4, so you can see she is nowhere near 15hh in the photo on the tarp. You can see why I was thinking of backing and selling on, lol.

View attachment 147162View attachment 147163

Hermosa at 6. Much better.

View attachment 147164View attachment 147166View attachment 147167
Oh that’s encouraging! Thanks! I don’t think there’s many horses I’d view and buy at 3 tbh.

Here was Bog at 3. Then at rising 5, all skinny and poor when I got him. Then at 12 lol.

IMG_2637.jpegIMG_8714.jpegIMG_2640.jpeg

Trot_on

Visit site
Oh he is just beautiful! What a whirlwind this thread has been.

How tall is he atm @Michen? I didn't see that on earlier posts. I actually think onthe photo of him and Bog together, he looks very much a simila size. And a good neck can make them feel so much bigger when on. I'm a tall-ish rider (5'9) and have a 14.2 connie who feels bigger than some 16.2's I ride becuase of his decent neck.

I still think he's make a very nice 'Benjamin' or maybe even a 'Burt' actually. I like proper names for horses.

Michen

Visit site
Oh he is just beautiful! What a whirlwind this thread has been.

How tall is he atm @Michen? I didn't see that on earlier posts. I actually think onthe photo of him and Bog together, he looks very much a simila size. And a good neck can make them feel so much bigger when on. I'm a tall-ish rider (5'9) and have a 14.2 connie who feels bigger than some 16.2's I ride becuase of his decent neck.

I still think he's make a very nice 'Benjamin' or maybe even a 'Burt' actually. I like proper names for horses.

He’s bang on between 15hh and 15.1hh, but he doesn’t really have a wither it’s kinda odd! I don’t think he’s shorter than bog was at 5. He’s just a LOT more compact.

j1ffy

Visit site
He’s bang on between 15hh and 15.1hh, but he doesn’t really have a wither it’s kinda odd! I don’t think he’s shorter than bog was at 5. He’s just a LOT more compact.

I think he's lovely!

My old boy, Pocholo, is the same height and in 5'9" rugs. He takes a 17" saddle with no problems! Your new boy actually reminds me a bit of P in shape and expressions (and if he is anything like P you'd be very lucky indeed!). P was rising 5 when I got him and didn't grow more, but at 3 you can expect a fair bit more growth...

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
His color and build is very similar to a Morgan my childhood friend had. Very deep red. Had a narrow build, but a bit more height to him, and a good neck on him.

I wish my 3 year old were 15.1hh 🤣 I just wanted a nice 15.2/3hh horse 🙄

I am very familiar, perhaps even too familiar with short backs 🤣 I get that everyone says you can just size down or fit in a size smaller, but be very careful with that, or using smaller panels on a larger seat. You're a lighter more slender person, so it may work for you, but I see way too many riders with too much weight on the back/cantle of their saddle just so they can squeeze that saddle in before that last rib.

His withers will likely pop up a bit with age and training. That's pretty normal for a 3 year old/young horse IME. Sure, you get the type that will always have a less pronounced withers, but he's still so young.

Sounds like he's a good character.

If you need any turnout rugs, let me know. I have some smaller sizes from when mine was younger.