Boggle- USA bound!

Denali

Visit site
I figured it just seemed too pathetic to post, really! And, whilst you guys are so supportive it must be kind of exhausting and boring to read my rollercoaster of things are great, things are terrible, things are great. I think you may be right. I had therapy session earlier this week, EMDR for the shark attack, and instead spent the whole hour sobbing about Boggle, it was the day after the "scare".

I guess I'm not quite as fixed as maybe I thought! I also think I need a good nights sleep which I haven't had all week, I'm going to go dig out those sleeping meds.

You’re not pathetic. You’re an amazing woman who’s been through a lot.

FYI Costco brand sleeping pills are money. But don’t take them if you have to work the next day 😂

PurBee

Visit site
Here’s a hug M - youve been through so much. Bog has tested you very recently, being overly concerned is natural. He’s here now being typical Bog and the toughest attitude we can find when concerned is ‘wait and see’.
Your strength is phenomenal, yet allow yourself to recharge, with your persistent attitude of optimistic hope. Youve let go of plans with riding and have found a place of acceptance. That’ll release a lot of unseen tension in you both. Expectations can sometimes interfere with progress/healing.

Fear of loss is our species-wide weakness, understandably. We only soothe that by being there and loving each and every moment. Re-loving after loss is the hardest but greatest lesson. Bog has taught you that after Basil. Giving our all to what matters to us, which no-one can ever say youve never done with any of your horses!

Bogs licking you to drenching is likely his way of communicating his perceiving your new stance of acceptance, not riding him and just happy for him to be a healthy unridden horse, if that makes sense. It’s interesting you said it was like a dam licking a foal, as coming to a mindset of just loving our horse to be just a horse and releasing personal riding ambitions, is like a kind if rebirth as a horse owner.

Maybe Bog realises you need a relaxing spa day, and knowing you spend all your dosh on him, he gave you a personal Bog saliva spa! 🙂

It’s understandable that since his neuro scare youre likely to visit him with eagle eyes to judge how well he seems each day - rather than going there to just completely relax and be with him. You guys have a close bond, and he likely senses this underlying concern in you too. If you could visit him with the clear intention of just relaxing together, grooming…even sitting nearby reading as he wanders in his paddock - not to judge his progress, read his gaits, not to test his movements, to just be with him for the sake of pure enjoyment of being together, whether that would help re-train your own neuro system to relax once more with barn visits and seeing him?
You’ve had many months of visiting to check on his health as priority, rather than pure enjoyment, which can cause our own neuro system to get stuck in concern mode habitually.

Have you tried some yoga or pilates for releasing stress? After my first yoga session with an instructor friend, i felt absolutely euphoric. It was so strange how a few movements of 20 mins of getting my stuck physical knotted stressed energy moving about through my body became something i palpably sensed being free of.
There’s also guided meditations on youtube that are super useful for helping focusing a wired and worried mind and helping convert it to relaxation, when we cant find the way to do it ourselves. I have leant heavily on those when very stressed, and always so thankful to have that hour of change of mind, which helps the rest of my day. Earplugs in and off i go to the soothing sound of a soft voice helping me find my relaxed mind. Theyre very useful. Search for ‘guided meditation for relaxation’ - especially good for insomnia too.

Michen

Visit site
Here’s a hug M - youve been through so much. Bog has tested you very recently, being overly concerned is natural. He’s here now being typical Bog and the toughest attitude we can find when concerned is ‘wait and see’.
Your strength is phenomenal, yet allow yourself to recharge, with your persistent attitude of optimistic hope. Youve let go of plans with riding and have found a place of acceptance. That’ll release a lot of unseen tension in you both. Expectations can sometimes interfere with progress/healing.

Fear of loss is our species-wide weakness, understandably. We only soothe that by being there and loving each and every moment. Re-loving after loss is the hardest but greatest lesson. Bog has taught you that after Basil. Giving our all to what matters to us, which no-one can ever say youve never done with any of your horses!

Bogs licking you to drenching is likely his way of communicating his perceiving your new stance of acceptance, not riding him and just happy for him to be a healthy unridden horse, if that makes sense. It’s interesting you said it was like a dam licking a foal, as coming to a mindset of just loving our horse to be just a horse and releasing personal riding ambitions, is like a kind if rebirth as a horse owner.

Maybe Bog realises you need a relaxing spa day, and knowing you spend all your dosh on him, he gave you a personal Bog saliva spa! 🙂

It’s understandable that since his neuro scare youre likely to visit him with eagle eyes to judge how well he seems each day - rather than going there to just completely relax and be with him. You guys have a close bond, and he likely senses this underlying concern in you too. If you could visit him with the clear intention of just relaxing together, grooming…even sitting nearby reading as he wanders in his paddock - not to judge his progress, read his gaits, not to test his movements, to just be with him for the sake of pure enjoyment of being together, whether that would help re-train your own neuro system to relax once more with barn visits and seeing him?
You’ve had many months of visiting to check on his health as priority, rather than pure enjoyment, which can cause our own neuro system to get stuck in concern mode habitually.

Have you tried some yoga or pilates for releasing stress? After my first yoga session with an instructor friend, i felt absolutely euphoric. It was so strange how a few movements of 20 mins of getting my stuck physical knotted stressed energy moving about through my body became something i palpably sensed being free of.
There’s also guided meditations on youtube that are super useful for helping focusing a wired and worried mind and helping convert it to relaxation, when we cant find the way to do it ourselves. I have leant heavily on those when very stressed, and always so thankful to have that hour of change of mind, which helps the rest of my day. Earplugs in and off i go to the soothing sound of a soft voice helping me find my relaxed mind. Theyre very useful. Search for ‘guided meditation for relaxation’ - especially good for insomnia too.

Your posts are always so spot on, about everything. Thank you. Xx

Michen

Visit site
I am the most unphotogenic person ever, I always have a lopsided smile or an eye shut or something, so I ruined a lot of the ones where Boggle looks magnificent but, I had these done today and am so glad I did. The last one is my favourite. And he's wearing his HHO headcollar :)

IMG_8226.jpegIMG_8225.jpegIMG_8227.jpegIMG_8228.jpeg

Last edited:

little_critter

Visit site
You are not pathetic or draining. This thread would have died months ago if we had been fed up with it.
I don’t think anyone minds supporting someone who is doing their best to also support themselves.
Im glad you are continuing the therapy, even if it went off topic, you talked about what you needed to work on. I hope the session was helpful.

Trouper

Visit site

Such wise words @PurBee .

Emilieu

Visit site
How absolutely gorgeous are those pictures and your coat and boots are 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍
I always think you are like me Michen, perpetual optimist, always trying to be positive and see the bright side and be ‘ok’. I think it’s time you let yourself be not ok. It’s really fine not to be ok, and not to be ok for quite a while. Give yourself some grace.

Ceriann

Visit site
Owning horses is a roller coaster and your journey with Bog (for me anyway) shows not just true dedication, but that everything you do is what good ownership is about. You’re a partnership. I (hope) I treat mine like that and it makes me feel less “crazy” to see you go the extra mile and beyond - I have a now semi retired mare that I worship and I will do anything/everything to keep her comfortable. I’ve spotted issues that vets didn’t and I know many would still be asking her to work but she’s not right so it’s a different life for her now. She now loves the different attention she gets which includes groundwork, liberty lunging and walks out (and a very occasional light hack).

Lovely photos too.

View

Visit site
Fabulous photographs.

Bog has tested you so much, but your determination to do right by him shines through.

You have been through so much with him, and then going off for some R&R which turned into anything but. You have made peace that Bog is your best friend but won’t be your ridden partner now, but you also need to make peace with you.

You are an incredible, strong person. And even incredible, strong people have moments where they can’t deal with any more, can’t carry on. But they do. Because the sun continues to rise in the east and set in the west. Easier said than done, I know, but live in the now. Not yesterday, not tomorrow. This moment.

Have a big hug M.

Last edited:

PurBee

Visit site
Truly magical pictures of you all to treasure 😍 Perfect snowy scenery too! Pepper looks particularly happy to be in the shoot, all sparkley eyed 🙂
You’re a natural model stylist, your coat and boot combo matching Bog’s colouring perfectly! The photographer has a great eye, lovely lighting…frame them all 😁

Michen

Visit site
Thank you everyone, I'm so glad I had them done even though I am so NOT a photoshoot kinda girl, but I realised I had tons of us eventing and ridden but none of us just "being". I'm just ordering some of these to be printed, I like this one a lot too!

I think Bog and I are too similar, we are full throttle 100% positive and up for it and then when we aren't it's fairly catastrophic. We have such high and low emotions! I'm going to blame hormones for the fact it feels like I've cried for 48 hours, though :)

Woken up to a huge, beautiful dumping of snow and it's still going. I drove my truck back to the house (which is useless in the snow) rather than my SUV which is great in the snow, and I dropped Pepper at my friend's because the kids miss her so much when I'm not travelling and they don't have her for a while. My mother is here at the moment though, so she's making some breakfast pancakes!IMG_8233.jpeg

Titchy Pony

Visit site
Such lovely pictures!
You definitely managed to look photogenic on the ones you posted. I got my sister to take some pictures of me and my Old Lady the other week and I looked like I had been dragged through a bush backwards. Horse looked good though...

meesha

Visit site
Beautiful photos, lovely memories to look back on when he's 30 and still going strong !! Not read every post, but especially with all he's been through health wise a salt/mineral lick might be useful, don't animal licks our skin due to wanting the salt? or have i imagined that lol... Have had a few glasses of wine..

Michen

Visit site
It happened again. He was reaching around itching himself and he did the same thing albeit more subtle, cocking his neck and his back legs did a slight stagger. Then he’s totally fine, having his usual roll and throwing in the usual bucks and leaps and accelerations after. He was fine in about 30 seconds but I’m sat in his stable sobbing and looking at him and wondering what the hell I do from here. Do I do steroids again, 4 months after the last lot? Do I try something else, PRP or similar to try and give him a little longer, or a summer of retirement?

Do I put him down now? I have no idea what the best thing to do is, for him.

And now he’s just wondering loose around the barn being his normal cheeky self.

SO1

Visit site
It happened again. He was reaching around itching himself and he did the same thing albeit more subtle, cocking his neck and his back legs did a slight stagger. Then he’s totally fine, having his usual roll and throwing in the usual bucks and leaps and accelerations after. He was fine in about 30 seconds but I’m sat in his stable sobbing and looking at him and wondering what the hell I do from here. Do I do steroids again, 4 months after the last lot? Do I try something else, PRP or similar to try and give him a little longer, or a summer of retirement?

Do I put him down now? I have no idea what the best thing to do is, for him.

And now he’s just wondering loose around the barn being his normal cheeky self.
I think without knowing the cause it is a difficult decision to make. Is it something daily pain relief like bute could manage.

If this is something new that has only just started in the last few weeks could this be something completely different such as a pulled muscle or strain from rolling or too big a carrot stretch that might heal on it's own.

If that was me and Homey I would not be putting to sleep if it is a pain or instability that only last 30 seconds and only occurs if he turns his neck to itch and most of the time he was fine. He does need to be comfortable grazing and be able to lie down and get up. If you are going to try steroids or injecting anything you need to be sure you are having him injected in the correct place and that it is his neck.