Boggle- USA bound!

Michen

Visit site
I think you are going to drive yourself crazy trying to do the best for both conditions, which need opposing care, movement for his neck and rest for his leg. I’ve just had a similar dilemma (arthritis and laminitis) and I think you have to kind of ignore the least worse (in my case upped the Danilon to help the arthritis while the pony rested). The larger pen sounds like a good compromise. Mine had the yard and stable, so not strict box rest and not turnout. I can’t hose her let either so she gets a wet, cold bandage on loosely for an hour if her leg puffs up. It seems to work almost as well.

Yeah, honestly I’m not worrying about the ligament too much. I’ll do 4-6 weeks depending on how he goes, or less if not good. Will play by ear. Then he’s going out. I don’t know how long he has left and whilst I want it to all heal ok ish more important is his quality of life.

The only reason I’m doing any kind of “box rest” is because it’s a stall and run so the majority of time he is outside in the sun very relaxed and having a nice time anyway, grooming his mates and chasing the pig out. Apparently Bog now shares his hay, too 🤣

If I can give it enough time to settle down a bit then that would be great. First and foremost is his proprioception though.

Sorry about your mare 💕

Last edited:

Michen

Visit site
Urgh this horse is so not my cuppa t in any way shape or form but he’s making it hard. He’s started whinnying at me when he sees me (and I don’t feed him), and today doing in hand poles he just pressed his head against my chest and held it there until I moved him. He just desperately wants to be someone’s number one.

I feel a bit bad he’s not going to be mine! He seems to think he is.

IMG_8946.png

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Urgh this horse is so not my cuppa t in any way shape or form but he’s making it hard. He’s started whinnying at me when he sees me (and I don’t feed him), and today doing in hand poles he just pressed his head against my chest and held it there until I moved him. He just desperately wants to be someone’s number one.

View attachment 135743

I'll wait until he's got a lovely shiny summer coat and is bouncing fit before I take that as gospel. I remember someone saying that no horse would ever take a hold of their heart like Basil.......

Michen

Visit site
I'll wait until he's got a lovely shiny summer coat and is bouncing fit before I take that as gospel. I remember someone saying that no horse would ever take a hold of their heart like Basil.......

Haha, he looks awful at the moment. Loading him with vitamin E and oil.

True, but Boggle was a similar type to Basil. That pony, pocket rocket thing.

tatty_v

Visit site
I think I like my horses like cats rather than dogs ... Ones that make me work for their love and are largely indifferent to me 😅
Oh this is so me (and I have two geldings!) my heart belongs to the grumpy git who is in no way cuddly. I was very suspicious of the one who licked me the first day he arrived 🤣

mini-eventer

Visit site
Haha, he looks awful at the moment. Loading him with vitamin E and oil.

True, but Boggle was a similar type to Basil. That pony, pocket rocket thing.
Sometimes a change is as good as a rest... if you get the same type you can't help but compare them. With Dusty you have no expectations. I've gone from a Connie- very my type. To a large rangy tb/Id - not my type.

But my Connie was my heart horse. If I'd got another Connie it wouldn't have been fair you can't help but compare them. I love my new one too, he's just different and in some ways it is better, some ways it is not. But I never expected them to be similar and that is a good thing.

Ahrena

Visit site

I have no idea what’s going on with these quotes and I can’t get rid of them.

Don’t feel bad, I feel like this with Nutmeg. I’m very fond of her and she’s a real people pony, loves fuss and cuddles and I think we will have a blast the next couple of years but she will never be my number 1 cos Pesto. Pesto will always be first.

So I figure the best thing I can do is make her the best horse she can be so when she moves on, she has all the tools to make her someone’s treasured number 1. Loads of people say I won’t sell her and I admit selling is not my strong point, but I don’t want her to be second best.

Michen

Visit site
Well I’ve already decided in my head I’ll pay his board to stay for summer if he’s nice under saddle so that’s step one I suppose. Dammit.

A deal came in from work that was a little more than I expected and I immediately thought “oh great, Dusty’s costs for a bit 🤣

I’m never going to buy a house or grow up, it seems!

Emilieu

Visit site
I love a big soppy gelding, but I also have a cat horse. She pulled that face in chest move on me the day I met her and has been largely indifferent to me ever since! she’ll occasionally pull it out the bag again when needed

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Well I’ve already decided in my head I’ll pay his board to stay for summer if he’s nice under saddle so that’s step one I suppose. Dammit.

A deal came in from work that was a little more than I expected and I immediately thought “oh great, Dusty’s costs for a bit 🤣

I’m never going to buy a house or grow up, it seems!

Have you ever sat on a fit racing thoroughbred? If not, you may have some nice surprises coming.