CDJ withdrawn from paris

Burnttoast

Visit site
Devil's advocate here for a moment, and in no way condoning the behaviour in that video.

This morning I was expecting a 'me-too' effect; more videos and stories specifically about CDJ or others. I haven't seen anything, apart from bits of anecdotal gossip ('I've heard she is hard on them', etc). Such further evidence may come to light over time. But for the moment, perhaps the lack of any other evidence might just mean that this is a one-off or at least has to be treated as such?

I have heard people saying that aspects of the video look like it's not the first time. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with this, just a little surprised not to have seen anything else, and we have to consider this when judging her whole training regime and whether this is, as she said, out of character.
I wonder if a general closing of the ranks will go on. Most people who would be in a position to obtain such evidence are likely to be supportive of her, and she is generally extremely popular in a way that Helgstrand, say, probably isn't/wasn't - and yet it was only covert filming and his own indiscretions in warmups that have ever come to light about him. There must be other stuff, but people are sitting on it largely because it would be ridiculous to bring down a system they are willingly a part of.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Do we think her career will be over? There's still people trying to defend her

I know in GEs case the horse was dead, but he is still massively successful and celebrated at race meetings if he's winning people money. It's been forgotten by a lot of people, although tbf not all race attendees are horsey

If CDJ goes out and starts winning again, would the reception start to reduce?

The Fuzzy Furry

🦄 🦄
Visit site
I was a bit all over the place earlier when I wrote that, and while I agree with the sentiment, I am also really sorry that you got shouted at. And I hope you’re ok (though I know you’re tough and totally will be 😉).

You’re absolutely right about EWOs too.
No worries lol, I think what might have held me back was I didnt want to start raising my voice on the newbie! As only been wobbling out for 7 or 8 days.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
There must be other stuff, but people are sitting on it largely because it would be ridiculous to bring down a system they are willingly a part of.

Or they earn a living via the industry or compete themselves and don't want to upset any of the big players. To blow the whistle would effectively end their career or put a total finish to their own competitive ambitions.

eahotson

Visit site
But that’s how it comes across. All the ‘I’ve seen worse’ comments come across as ‘it’s not great but it’s not too bad’.
It is bad. It’s horrendously bad.
Horses get nothing out of being ridden. They do things we ask of them that are so far out of what they would ever do naturally. And mostly they do it without any fuss. We get far more from it than they ever will. So to take that trust and abuse it in that way, for the sake of winning a poxy medal… it’s sickening.

I’m fairly sure I witnessed that rider at Bolesworth aswell. It was not pleasant

SO1

Visit site
Rider also perhaps no longer part of the UK dressage scene as living outside the UK so less likely to have to endure potential bullying in the local community for bringing down our top dressage star and golden girl.

It is also quite a lot for a teenager to be the centre of attention as the press will be wanting to find our who she is no doubt.

I am on AL today as saddler fitter coming this afternoon no doubt this will be a topic of discussion at the yard.

I expect CDJ may be supported in terms of statements and crisis management by BD as well as her personal team due to the timing it goes beyond just her an individual but also impacts on dressage and equine sports in general in the UK. No doubt there will be others who have made errors of judgement in their careers who are competing at the Olympics who will hoping that there are no people with videos are going to come forward.

With the confusion of the age of the video, it is possible that the rider has just turned 18 and with reaching adulthood has felt able to come forward.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
In an article I read it claims the person took the video because they were horrified yet it seems like it is the video taker that’s laughing 🤔

It may have been the person they stood next to that was laughing rather than the video’er themselves - it’s hard to comment on what was happening behind the camera.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Sorry if it’s been mentioned already.

Sky news are showing the video in more detail. Bizarre that (possibly) whoever is videoing is chuckling away.

And is CJD simply cracking the whip?

I've only seen the shorter clip and did wonder if some of the time it was just cracking the whip rather than hitting the horse with it . What puzzles me is what it was supposed to achieve either way.

Mare Stare

Visit site
I can't see her coming back from this, especially as it's out in the general public. I'm sad for dressage and equestrianism as a whole.
I think if it had been anyone else that they may be able to scrape their way back. Unfortunately, she built her image on "being different" and putting horse welfare first. That image is well and truly tarnished now.

Miss_Millie

Visit site
i found this a very balanced view of whats going on

Genuine question, what is the difference between 'cancel culture' and someone being held accountable for their actions? Where is the line between the two?

Equi

Visit site
Sorry if it’s been mentioned already.

Sky news are showing the video in more detail. Bizarre that (possibly) whoever is videoing is chuckling away.

And is CJD simply cracking the whip?
Every whip definitely does not hit the horse.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
You already know the horse isn’t the top priority by the fact she is competing in high level dressage and hyper flexing.
The more I think about it, the whole concept of a correct outline (or at least the head placement part) feels bizarre. I wonder where the idea of the vertical head placement being ideal came from? Might start a separate thread to avoid derailing this one though.

Ceriann

Visit site
Having now watched the full video - the behaviour and comments made by CDJ (along the lines that the whip used is no good at hitting them hard) is reprehensible. It’s reprehensible on a stand alone basis, but there are so many aggravating factors - age of the rider, observers, the commentary, her role as coach, her experience, status - all of which indicate this is not a one off lapse of judgement. There are currently few mitigating factors, though we have heard she is ashamed and is remorseful. The timing of the release, the fact there were observers, another person riding are not mitigating factors. CDJ as a world class equestrian and coach has a huge duty of care to those she coaches, her team and most importantly the horses involved. There has been an unquestionable material breach of that duty and she must be held to account. Her status only elevates that duty and the seriousness of her breach - the fact we have all seen, know of or expect this behaviour from equestrians is not mitigation. I sincerely hope but am not hopeful that no more videos or claims come to light. If they do, as horse lovers who are also equestrians we should absolutely condemn all this behaviour, not seek to blame others, conflate the issue with concerns about the Olympics, the intention of the complainant etc.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Im(very amateur)o, every training session of a 3rd party, whether a paying customer, or an employed groom who is riding, should be videoed with a copy kept by the trainer and one given to the trainee.
I have been involved in safe-guarding children since long before the term was used routinely in its current context. I know of malicious accusations and misunderstandings.
And have seen/heard of more than one instance of bullying by an adult of a weaker being, who is unable to stand up for themselves/vocalise what has happened. It is almost always he said/she said unless there are *independent* witnesses, (and they are not easy to find, they are often influenced by some kind of self- interest), or other corroborating evidence. Videod sessions would actually protect everyone involved in training horses, including the horse. If everyone involved with horses got into the habit of recording everything, it wouldn't matter whether there was a trainee present or not.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Genuine question, what is the difference between 'cancel culture' and someone being held accountable for their actions? Where is the line between the two?
To me, the former involves wiping the person from public view, prohibiting them from ever working in that sphere again. The latter involves a more measured punishment (e.g. ban for 5 years) and the chance for the person to reflect, learn and choose a better path.

On another note, I watched the video on silent, to focus on what she's actually doing. Maybe I'm showing my ignorance of dressage training, but what is she trying to achieve with the whip/ Make the horse pick up his legs? Shorten through the back? What?? I genuinely don't see the objective of what she's doing!

Mare Stare

Visit site
Not to mention the flashy movement that has taken over high level dressage which is not good for the horse and was invented to make dressage more interesting for spectators. It has strayed away from the classical concept of dressage
Yep. I have a lot of time for classical dressage. I hope that this incident may prompt dressage to go back to its roots. (I doubt it but I live in hope!).