CDJ withdrawn from paris

magicmoments

Visit site
No it’s not one of her horses and it’s not at Carls yard
I realised it wasn't on Carl's yard, I don't believe I said it was, or even intermated it, and I also doubted it was one of her horses, but I assumed that, rather than knowing for a fact, so was just replying to the poster that asked that particular question.

Jenko109

Visit site
Had she been filmed whipping someone else’s dog (albeit with a smaller whip), would 35,000+ people be supporting her? Noooo.

Why is a horse different?

I suppose it's because whipping horses has to a degree been 'normal' for generations.

We accept whipping racehorses in pursuit of money to be okay.

It is often deemed normal to lay a whip on a horse if he backs off a fence.

Most equestrians will have used a whip on a horse at some time or another.

People don't whip dogs so I dont think it's a particularly good comparison.

JenJ

Visit site
I suppose it's because whipping horses has to a degree been 'normal' for generations.

We accept whipping racehorses in pursuit of money to be okay.

It is often deemed normal to lay a whip on a horse if he backs off a fence.

Most equestrians will have used a whip on a horse at some time or another.

People don't whip dogs so I dont think it's a particularly good comparison.
Makes sense. A whip is often standard equipment for a rider, along with hat and boots. Most tack shops have a bucket in a corner with a huge selection of whips in. It's completely normalised to carry a whip.

I don't own a schooling whip as my last two horses haven't required me to carry one, but if I ever get a riding horse again, I might ban myself from getting a new whip regardless of 'need'.

honetpot

Visit site
Because they don't scream ??
I think even people who have been around horses a lot are not aware of the signs of when they are showing stress, and when they do they are being 'naughty', and need to be told off. Dog faces, well the most popular breeds rely on the I am your baby do not hurt me face, they soon learn how to use it to get what they want, or the whiney grumble when it gets past tea time, they watch humans and want to please us. They can appear cute even when they have sharp teeth.

Most horse run away from a threat, or what they see as a threat, which may be the plastic bag in the road, and not the large lorry or bus they have to pass on the road, so in general people percieve them as being strong, just not effected by physical harm.
I used to have a brood mare who could run backwards kickingout at every stride at anything that offended her in the field, and yet showed no agression to humans. Most of the time they just put up with us, unless you have food they have no interest in us, unless what they are asked to do gets them food, as a rule.

Equi

Visit site
I think even people who have been around horses a lot are not aware of the signs of when they are showing stress, and when they do they are being 'naughty', and need to be told off. Dog faces, well the most popular breeds rely on the I am your baby do not hurt me face, they soon learn how to use it to get what they want, or the whiney grumble when it gets past tea time, they watch humans and want to please us. They can appear cute even when they have sharp teeth.

Most horse run away from a threat, or what they see as a threat, which may be the plastic bag in the road, and not the large lorry or bus they have to pass on the road, so in general people percieve them as being strong, just not effected by physical harm.
I used to have a brood mare who could run backwards kickingout at every stride at anything that offended her in the field, and yet showed no agression to humans. Most of the time they just put up with us, unless you have food they have no interest in us, unless what they are asked to do gets them food, as a rule.
Well I don’t agree with the last part entirely. Some are more interactive than others food or no food. It just depends on the horse.

Upthecreek

Visit site
I wonder how long the FEI investigation will take and how they will investigate? In terms of sanctions/punishment I wonder if they will decide that the 6 month suspension is enough? The general public will probably have forgotten all about it by the time the investigation is concluded and I imagine they’ll give the minimum they can reasonably get away with. Will they look at the marking for elite dressage and make the correlation between that and what some riders might be doing in training to achieve those high marks in competition? I hope I’m wrong, but there needs to be sufficiently harsh consequences to be a deterrent to others and I just don’t see it happening.

teapot

Visit site
But the lifestyle that the top riders lead is way beyond that of most of us. I have often wondered why we should support very rich people, who spend a fortune on one horse, so that they can get said horse competed? It's not just horse sport - GB funds sport competitors far more than most countries. We were top of a medal table at some big multi sport competition. Michael Johnson brought up how much we spend on sport and the cost of each medal - it was millions. In the mean time councils are cutting facilities for young people because they're on the verge of bankruptcy. If someone wants to be a grand prix dressage rider then fine - but why should working class people pay for that?

Funded in part by people playing the lottery twice a week. DCMS spending breakdown for 2021/2022 is here: https://www.parliament.uk/globalassets/documents/commons/scrutiny/dcms-slides-2021-22.pdf

£200mil for that year for ALL aspects of sport within the UK, and the total budget for British Equestrian 2017-2021 award period was only £16.1m.

tda

Visit site
I wonder how long the FEI investigation will take and how they will investigate? In terms of sanctions/punishment I wonder if they will decide that the 6 month suspension is enough? The general public will probably have forgotten all about it by the time the investigation is concluded and I imagine they’ll give the minimum they can reasonably get away with.

Probably yes

Will they look at the marking for elite dressage and make the correlation between that and what some riders might be doing in training to achieve those high marks in competition? I hope I’m wrong, but there needs to be sufficiently harsh consequences to be a deterrent to others and I just don’t see it happening.
I can't imagine they will even consider the connection to be relevant

Pedantic

Visit site
How Many Horses Died in WW1 and WW2? Millions of animals served in both wars but died because of thirst, wounds, diseases, and starvation. Over 8 Million horses in WW1 and 0.7 million in WW2 died, any left killled and eaten, and how many couldn't be bothered to get off their backsides to go and vote, after all the sacrifice, so many so called animal lovers didn't have the respect to go and use their hard won vote, any media outcry........no...,,maybe whilst the country is apologising for something our ancestors did 200 years ago, maybe it could apologise for all the animal abuse and suffering caused, you know, just whilst everyone is being all high and mighty and all that.

All year every year, particularly at Appleby, horse/ponies ridden at too young an age, raced up and down on hard surfaces shouted at and whipped, forced into the river with two riders on, heads pushed under the water, waiting for the outcry............no....why is that ?, waiting.....

I'm all for animal abuse being exposed, and the individual being held to account and dealt with accordingly, but the "selective" crucifying of one individual, just at this "particular" moment in time totally stinks.

bonny

Visit site
How Many Horses Died in WW1 and WW2? Millions of animals served in both wars but died because of thirst, wounds, diseases, and starvation. Over 8 Million horses in WW1 and 0.7 million in WW2 died, any left killled and eaten, and how many couldn't be bothered to get off their backsides to go and vote, after all the sacrifice, so many so called animal lovers didn't have the respect to go and use their hard won vote, any media outcry........no...,,maybe whilst the country is apologising for something our ancestors did 200 years ago, maybe it could apologise for all the animal abuse and suffering caused, you know, just whilst everyone is being all high and mighty and all that.

All year every year, particularly at Appleby, horse/ponies ridden at too young an age, raced up and down on hard surfaces shouted at and whipped, forced into the river with two riders on, heads pushed under the water, waiting for the outcry............no....why is that ?, waiting.....

I'm all for animal abuse being exposed, and the individual being held to account and dealt with accordingly, but the "selective" crucifying of one individual, just at this "particular" moment in time totally stinks.
We can’t exactly do anything about horses in long ago wars but we can think about improving the lot of modern competition horses.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
People are extremely vocal in calling out cruelty at Appleby, and there are always RSPCA officers in attendance. The reason there is so much focus on this latest scandal is because of the profile of the person involved. She's probably the most widely known equestrian in the UK, possibly the only one known by the average, non-horsey person.

Miss_Millie

Visit site

I think you'll find that there's at least one thread on here every year in disgust about Appleby. If you're comparing modern day dressage to a world war then god help us.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site

Now your just being ridiculously pedantic.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I don't agree with it's too expensive to keep horses as pets. I have two who spend their days lolling in their paddock,rolling in mud and emptying my bank account . I wouldn't have it any other way. I love them for just being horses .
That’s you. For many they are too expensive to keep as pets.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I have just read the article where the lady states she was not the whistleblower but admitted she was there at the time. Which leads me to think that she was the person laughing through the video, which is worse in my opinion. It is stated that there were 3 there at the time - the rider, the filmer who was the rider's sponsor - so she must be the third.
Where is this posted?

Found it.

Upthecreek

Visit site

Charlotte is not being crucified. She has been suspended pending an investigation for abuse that she has been filmed doing. What do you suggest should have been done? Let her pop off to the Olympics and carry on as if nothing happened?