CDJ withdrawn from paris

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Out of interest, what do people think the FEI can actually DO to overhaul the sport? They can't be privvy to what goes on behind the scenes. Is it rewarding differently in the dressage tests themselves?

Genuine question. It's interesting that dressage seems to repeatedly have these abuse cases come to light, showjumping not so much and eventing- barely ever (other than mark todd, unless I'm mistaken)
Personally, very little.
They might extend the 6 months ban and then release a statement to say they condone the behaviour
Eta ah I misread that. I thought you were asking what they will do.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think they need to sort out what happens at the scenes as a starting point, stewarding should be strong in warm ups with regards to how horses are ridden, and stewards should be given enough power to follow that through. If they can't rollkur a horse in the warm up then maybe they'll have to find an alternative way of getting what they want at home. For some reason it doesn't seem to matter that the warm up is being watched by the public (whereas you'd think it would make a difference) so the power needs to be somewhere.

As suggested prior judging needs a bit of a shift away from flash/brilliance/performance to a more harmonious picture.

SAS56

Visit site
Zero tolerance of any sort of Rollkur or harsh riding in warm-up arenas would be a good start.
Penalising tense, stressed horses. Going back to awarding marks for correct way of going, not extravagance.
Edited to add- this is in reply to Michens comment.
And wiping off all the marshmallow foam appearing on the mouths

ester

Visit site
Pondering also the things that judges can't see by virtue of their distance from the horse, the blue tongues of late have been less obvious than the patrick kittel debacle, can we somehow enable judges/a different person to be able to view these things that get identified afterwards at top level and deductions accordingly? tongues added to post test checks?

teapot

Visit site
I think they need to sort out what happens at the scenes as a starting point, stewarding should be strong in warm ups with regards to how horses are ridden, and stewards should be given enough power to follow that through. If they can't rollkur a horse in the warm up then maybe they'll have to find an alternative way of getting what they want at home. For some reason it doesn't seem to matter that the warm up is being watched by the public (whereas you'd think it would make a difference) so the power needs to be somewhere.

As suggested prior judging needs a bit of a shift away from flash/brilliance/performance to a more harmonious picture.

Did you see Pammy's column about a steward at Wellington telling her to get off her horse?

slimjim86

Visit site
Pondering also the things that judges can't see by virtue of their distance from the horse, the blue tongues of late have been less obvious than the patrick kittel debacle, can we somehow enable judges/a different person to be able to view these things that get identified afterwards at top level and deductions accordingly? tongues added to post test checks?
Ah now we are getting into VAR for equestrianism? Tests are videos and a video judge zooms in to look for blue tongues, micro aggressions etc and then directs the judges to look at the video if needed before awarding final marks?

ester

Visit site
Ah now we are getting into VAR for equestrianism? Tests are videos and a video judge zooms in to look for blue tongues, micro aggressions etc and then directs the judges to look at the video if needed before awarding final marks?
potentially, obviously that's going to means some gaps between tests but I think it is unfair to berate the judges for their scores in relation to stuff they can't actually see.

ester

Visit site
Did you see Pammy's column about a steward at Wellington telling her to get off her horse?
don't think so? I only see what she puts on the equestrians group was that related to the saliva situ previously? Obviously if given power stewards need to be well trained/rules for it totally clear- don't need a situ like the is it isnt it ok myler combination.

teapot

Visit site

ester

Visit site
See there they needed to sort if max time to work is an hour, or max warm up is an hour- if the latter she'd have been fine!

SAS56

Visit site
You have hit on something which is a good example of the stewards having an impossible job. PH was on a horse for over 90 minutes doing 2 dressage tests and in between. OK so the horse is hot and there are certain things that she explained make it easier to stay on..... but, how is the steward to know that, or believe what the owner may say. I don't know what the answer is but know there are enough owners who lunge horses for hours on end in lorry parks and other horrid practices to be grateful that the stewards are watching out.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Lower age limits for horses through the levels might be a start. No Grand Prix before..... X years. Make it a big number to encourage keeping horses sound and taking good time. Judges looking for the actual Thing instead of being fooled by the appearance of the Thing.

Burn it all down and start again with different criteria?

No nosebands allowed. No bridles. 😆 I know, but genuinely. Do it in a headcoller and bareback. Breed horses of quality temperament and quiet movement with whom that would be fine. Maybe not the bareback but no stirrups perhaps? Strip it back as you go up levels rather than add on the pressure. People would just figure out ways to cheat/shortcut to the appearance of liberty and harmony still. I'm just random making silly suggestions.

I know. I don't care. I've lost faith. Rip it all up and try again please.

I honestly don't know if ethical horsemanship and competition are not just antithetical.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Lower age limits for horses through the levels might be a start. No Grand Prix before..... X years. Make it a big number to encourage keeping horses sound and taking good time. Judges looking for the actual Thing instead of being fooled by the appearance of the Thing.

No nosebands allowed. No bridles. 😆 I know, but genuinely. Do it in a headcoller and bareback. Breed horses of quality temperament and quiet movement with whom that would be fine. Maybe not the bareback but no stirrups perhaps? Strip it back as you go up levels rather than add on the pressure. People would just figure out ways to cheat/shortcut to the appearance of liberty and harmony still. I'm just random making silly suggestions.

I honestly don't know if ethical horsemanship and competition are not just antithetical.
Actually, I think you are on the right track here (not the mad bits, obvs).

FieldOrnaments

Visit site

yes yes yes

ester

Visit site
I do also think that being able to say 'it's not as bad as. . .' - for instance what they do to T walking horses/western pleasure/endurance in the middle east etc means it's easier to feel better about it for a lot of people/means they feel they can take the high ground whereas really it ought to be as good and as ethical as it can possibly be not just better than other equestrian pursuits.

Equi

Visit site
I get the physio every 3 months since my lads mystery injury last year. He’s been sound for months but it’s just part of his routine now..they don’t necessarily have to have an issue to get a treatment.