CDJ withdrawn from paris

Ceifer

Visit site

I'm Dun

Visit site
Is that all you know about western?

No its not. But you're comparing the worst part of dressage with the best part of western.

It is interesting to see people who have personally told me tales of horrific things they have seen in western riding in the UK and abroad liking all the pro western comments :rolleyes:

Apparently, this is a non symptomatic HYPP horse. I didn't want to share one of the full blown attacks as its awful to see

I'm sure I don't need to share videos of the shuffling horses, or the 2yr olds barrel racing or big lick or any of the other horrors that have been shared here before.

Theres lots of good in western riding, just as theres lots of good in english riding, but holding up western as some sort of improvement or better system is completely disingenuous.

eahotson

Visit site
No its not. But you're comparing the worst part of dressage with the best part of western.

It is interesting to see people who have personally told me tales of horrific things they have seen in western riding in the UK and abroad liking all the pro western comments :rolleyes:

Apparently, this is a non symptomatic HYPP horse. I didn't want to share one of the full blown attacks as its awful to see

I'm sure I don't need to share videos of the shuffling horses, or the 2yr olds barrel racing or big lick or any of the other horrors that have been shared here before.

Theres lots of good in western riding, just as theres lots of good in english riding, but holding up western as some sort of improvement or better system is completely disingenuous.
Well some of us may say that the very exaggerated extended trots of SOME horses in dressage comes quite close to the big lick.Then there are 2 year old in racing.What I do like in western is the no noseband.I love it.Of course there is abuse in all aspects of horse sports anywhere.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Even working equitation is starting to show increasing issues, so no sport is safe, no discipline is safe, they all have outright abusers, cruel techniques and tools, and dysfunctional ways of working. Lets not get into top trumps.

What is happening in Working Equitation? Bloody hell, nothing is safe... It was something I'd like to have given a go one day as it always looked like good fun.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
What is happening in Working Equitation? Bloody hell, nothing is safe... It was something I'd like to have given a go one day as it always looked like good fun.

I've seen a lot of videos where many of us feel the horse is worked into a really strong hand, in compression, dropping the back, really short necks; there's no overt abuse I've come across, but it's not the shining paradigm it perhaps was (or nearly was).

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I've seen a lot of videos where many of us feel the horse is worked into a really strong hand, in compression, dropping the back, really short necks; there's no overt abuse I've come across, but it's not the shining paradigm it perhaps was (or nearly was).
It was never a shining paradigm, nothing is: there are bad riders in every discipline, in every place.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Ahh I hadn't really seen much of it in a wider context, I saw a nice video of a small child on a spanish horse and since then have been following a supercob who's owner has been doing really well with WE.

Ifmpw

Visit site

isnt that a genetic disease though ? not a rider induced thing ?

blitznbobs

Visit site
Can you name one sport, occupation, game or social group doesn’t show abuse? Equine or otherwise?

So listing every equine sport is a bit
Pointless because if an animal is involved (I include humans and other animals as well as the abusers) then competition is involved and when competition is involved some specimens will abuse other specimens .

We, as humans , can of course choose
Not to abuse others but it shouldn’t be a surprise that some choose to carry
On with thousands of years of evolution … I actively choose not to inflict injury on others but it doesn’t mean it has never happened…

But I say again I can guarantee there isn’t one disapline where abuse doesn’t exist.

I also know most abuse is caused by ignorance.

But banning everything doesn’t stop any abuse it just moves it on to someone /something else

Orangehorse

Visit site
I'm Dun, I will repeat: Saddle Seat IS NOT western. And yes all disciplines have problems, because, well: humans.
I have ridden Saddle Seat, it is just another way of riding to show off the "upheaded" horse. The idea is that the horse is full energy and obeys the aids which are invisible to the onlooker. Core strength is needed to keep balance and a light hand on the reins.

It is, I gather, how people would ride out on a morning's exercise in a Hyde Park, to show off. So more like a hack.
It isn't for galloping and jumping across country, nor for being in the saddle all day working cattle.

pistolpete

Visit site
I ha e thought about all this every day since ‘that video’. We all know it goes on mostly behind closed doors but.. if we all agree it’s wrong then for the horses sake if nothing else next time we see anything approaching abuse let’s hope we have the courage to say stop! That’s my wish that more people will advocate for the horses and ponies currently tolerating abuse.

I'm Dun

Visit site
isnt that a genetic disease though ? not a rider induced thing ?

Yes. But there's been discussion about hyper mobility in warmbloods. HYPP is far worse. Its known about, accepted and they continue to breed more. Its just one of a plethora of genetic diseases that are ignored in pursuit of a horse who will win.

As I've said about ten times, there's good and bad in all sports, but holding up western as some sort of ideal, by comparing the very best of it with the very worst of dressage is incredibly misleading.

KC31

Visit site
Totally agree. I watched some at the weekend. Have to say it was quite shocking and then there was a real weight issue with one rider and horse. We also saw someone who struggled with the gate hit her horse round the head in the ring and nothing was done! We dd mention it but it fell on deaf ears.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Aaaand the winner of “I have no media training and couldn’t sound more defensive and awkward if I tried” goes to….

Isabel Werth.

Funnily enough a few videos have popped up on my Facebook page one with IW all smiles in the stable with Wendy lots of patting and saying how wonderful she was , also did anyone notice all the patting she was doing BEFORE her test, never seen that before, wonder why now? The other one was hans Peter minderhund (spelt right?) making a fuss of his horse in the stable and saying how wonderful he was. Call me a cynic but could it possibly have something to do with CDJs video??