Delusional owners

Amun

Visit site
Rant at the ready..
There’s a certain person I know that is social media MAD. Barely lives in the real world and horse survives as it’s on full livery.
They have their own Facebook page as a ‘blogger’ plus various Twitter / Instagram pages all full of the same content.
The horse has its own medical issues along with the owners ‘disabilities’. Lots of information on this on their pages and a lot of utter lies.
Often says how they ride the horse (you don’t see them from week to week)
How they compete (they don’t)
They hunt ( went once after not riding horse for approximately 2 months)
Taught by the ‘famous’
(had one lesson)
You get the idea..?
It amazes me how many people get taken in on social media. It’s not the real world. Real world is grafting with these horses to keep them going. I just can’t believe how people get off on the fact that they lie about every day of their life and get away with it.
Maybe im an old cynic? ?
Yep people like this are annoying but on the other hand, it's pretty sad. They pretend to live a life they don't have, just to get appreciation and likes from strangers...while sitting on a chair at home. I wonder what they would have left without social media.

Blondiecopper

Visit site
Yep people like this are annoying but on the other hand, it's pretty sad. They pretend to live a life they don't have, just to get appreciation and likes from strangers...while sitting on a chair at home. I wonder what they would have left without social media.
Agreed.
Its when they manipulate people to getting what ‘they’ want that is most frustrating and using their position to ride roughshod over other people.
I know (and have worked with) many people with various disabilities over the years and they always been wonderful souls. They are let down by individuals such as.

Amun

Visit site
Social media is ignorable, unless it's harming people in the real world. In the dark ages, before social media was a thing, I briefly kept my horse at a barn in a New York City borough, and the barn owner was most assuredly bonkers. She insisted that she had rescued tigers at a different farm somewhere. Like a female New York version of Joe Exotic. Was that true? Could have been. I don't know. Neither did Google. She claimed that she had taught [insert all high level American riders from the early 2000s here] everything they know. She also claimed that she'd taught people like Monty Roberts all they know. Was that true? Probably not. She said that she had "saved the life" of every horse on her property, including mine. I was pretty sure that wasn't true.

Her loopy stories were amusing until she had the vet draw blood on my horse, testing her for a disease she definitely did not have, while I was 2000 miles away visiting my parents in a different state. I asked, "Why the hell do you think she has EPM?" Crazy barn owner said, "She is weaker on one side than the other." I said, "So is every horse." It's like testing a human for MS because they only write with their right hand. She replied, "More horses have EPM than are ever diagnosed." Oy.

And she only told me about this after the fact. Cost me $100 bucks. I was very unamused.
Omg this almost looks like compulsive lying. My neighbour has this and whenever I meet her, she also has some fantastic story to tell (including being involved in British politics and leading NHS) but is able to contradict herself in the next sentence. She caused a lot of trouble in the neighborhood as she regularly claims she saw drug dealers on someone's garden etc...) Apart from this, she looks like totally normal and friendly person. Trying to avoid her and can't imagine how her social media account must look like ?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I disagree, social media can be brilliant, if you just surround yourself with genuine people instead of getting involved with desperate attention seeking or drama queens. Because of my life and work I hardly ever get to see people IRL even before lockdown and social media plugs the gap in a really positive way.

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
I disagree, social media can be brilliant, if you just surround yourself with genuine people instead of getting involved with desperate attention seeking or drama queens. Because of my life and work I hardly ever get to see people IRL even before lockdown and social media plugs the gap in a really positive way.

Thats lovely to hear. Sadly i think you are one of the few not one of the many but hey, lets not digress from this post, its rather amusing :D

mini_b

Visit site

Agreed. if you are selective who you are “friends” with its great.

Amun

Visit site
Oh how I love my little yard at home and just as importantly, how i love the fact I've deleted 'social media' (i.e. FB and the like!) I can pop on here, click away if i want, post if i want and stay the hell away from all the nonsense!

Delete your social media people. It is not good or healthy for you.
You can click away and post only if you want on SM too :) it's not fair to condemn the whole platform and everyone on it just because some people are misusing it. If you delete SM, these people would simply move to forums like this.

Apizz2019

Visit site
Agree 100%
Social media is a lifeline to many right now.

Lipglosspukka

Visit site
Oh how I love my little yard at home and just as importantly, how i love the fact I've deleted 'social media' (i.e. FB and the like!) I can pop on here, click away if i want, post if i want and stay the hell away from all the nonsense!

Delete your social media people. It is not good or healthy for you.

I completely agree with you. I've removed myself from social media and I feel so much better for it.

I found it hard to see the animal cruelty posts which seemed impossible to avoid. I hated when there were arguments on some of the local pages which I felt drawn into enough to comment because the actions and opinions of some people are just so deeply offensive. Even with a closed profile, I felt like too much of my life was out there for people to see. A profile picture alone will reveal so much. The GoFundMe pages of absolute p*** takers, the videos of lame ponies with a band of merry followers saying how well they are going, that obese rider on her ponies she is much too big for...the list could go on and on.

Tash88

Visit site
I think some of your post sounds judgemental, jealous and a bit bitter (like a lot of the horse world unfortunately), but I also see your point, however the only thing she's actually done wrong is take her unfit horse hunting. But then he is her horse, her choice. I see things on both the yards where my horses are that others do all the time that I wouldn't do, but I just do my horse and let them get on with it, as long as isn't affecting me or my horses. I know that could sound selfish, but I have enough to deal with without getting my knickers in a twist about what everyone else is doing.

Clearly you care a little bit too much if you're posting on HHO about it, which is social media as well...

Blondiecopper

Visit site
I think some of your post sounds judgemental, jealous and a bit bitter (like a lot of the horse world unfortunately), but I also see your point, however the only thing she's actually done wrong is take her unfit horse hunting. But then he is her horse, her choice. I see things on both the yards where my horses are that others do all the time that I wouldn't do, but I just do my horse and let them get on with it, as long as isn't affecting me or my horses. I know that could sound selfish, but I have enough to deal with without getting my knickers in a twist about what everyone else is doing.

Clearly you care a little bit too much if you're posting on HHO about it, which is social media as well...
Thanks for your reply. Jealous..? Nope, Bitter? No, not that either.
FTR I haven’t said the person is a ‘she’ or the horse is a ‘he’
You are assuming that.
I have merely stated that I’m astounded how people believe things they read on social media when most of the content is utterly fabricated.
And, how people live a fantasy life. It’s been more of an observation rather than an assassination of someone.
If you know a person who is quite different to what they ‘appear’ to be online I’m sure most people at some point would be quite frustrated.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I don't think over exaggeration of one's achievements and/or talents has ever been limited to social media - it's been occuring long before social media existed and I'm sure will continue long after social media.

As long as it's not hurting anyone, I'm not sure it matters much.

Also, people's opinions on what is an achievement and what they'd like to share will vary hugely. I'd rather like it or scroll on by unaffected then discuss whether it was really social media worthy with the rest of the yard.

ponyparty

Visit site
I thought this thread was going to be about delusional owners who think their horse is sound when it clearly isn't, whether they actually believe it, or they tell themselves the horse isn't hurting because they want to continue riding it and to admit it might be in pain doesn't fit their agenda. I can think of several cases of this without even trying and it makes me both angry and sad.

What this thread is actually about.... pfft I just don't pay any attention to it. The "unfollow" or even "block" option are a godsend on FB. People can behave very strangely, I just tend to avoid those that engage in this sort of thing.

As an aside, social media can definitely be used for evil and can be terribly damaging but it's also great for keeping in touch with people you wouldn't otherwise see much of, and I've learnt a great deal from various horsey FB pages and groups I follow (mostly: to avoid horsey pages and groups :p but there is some good info out there too!). Critical thinking is essential when perusing social media.

Birker2020

Visit site
Her loopy stories were amusing until she had the vet draw blood on my horse, testing her for a disease she definitely did not have, while I was 2000 miles away visiting my parents in a different state. I asked, "Why the hell do you think she has EPM?" Crazy barn owner said, "She is weaker on one side than the other." I said, "So is every horse." It's like testing a human for MS because they only write with their right hand. She replied, "More horses have EPM than are ever diagnosed." Oy.

And she only told me about this after the fact. Cost me $100 bucks. I was very unamused.
Out of interest did it have EPM? That's awful having to pay for something you defintely did not request.

Birker2020

Visit site
Someone near me used to have “a stud” it was actually a muddy field with two stables. She regularly posted photos of her horses and actually was quite a talented photographer. The photos made the horses and field look wonderful! I remember once it snowed. She’d had a horse locked in a stable for a couple of months but got it out for photos. She put a carrier bag on the end of a lunge line and chased it round the field for 10 minutes to get some beautiful photos to post online. To her followers she was this successful breeder when in fact she was the worst owner imaginable (and only ever bred one foal). Nobody who really knew was surprised when one of her horses was found dead having been abandoned in a stable for two weeks. She managed to get her mother to take the blame, but her lies were exposed. Fast forward a coupe of years and a different location and she’s at it again. I just don’t look anymore.
OMG that's awful. That would make me really angry.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I love Facebook, but then I only have actual friends. Generally have around 60 people. It bemuses me when you meet someone once, then they ask to become a 'friend' when I barely know their name.

As for exaggerating, I hope not as I have just done a very proud mummy post about how, after 5 months in my care, I achieved trotting half a figure 8, with two half 15m circles :cool:. If that was exaggerated, I hate to think how little I would be doing :p

Social media has all sorts. FB is easier, as you only let people you want to see your posts, plus you can delete them. HHO is trickier as anyone can view, and they can't be deleted.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
If you know a person who is quite different to what they ‘appear’ to be online I’m sure most people at some point would be quite frustrated.

Why? How does it affect your life? If you don't like what you read, don't read it. I don't have a FB account and I really don't think my life is any poorer for it.

Blondiecopper

Visit site
Why? How does it affect your life? If you don't like what you read, don't read it. I don't have a FB account and I really don't think my life is any poorer for it.
I’d you take the time to read the whole thread you’ll see that I don’t follow and im
Not on FB.
it was a conversation I had with someone about it who informed me...

Blondiecopper

Visit site
Well if I didn't have social media I wouldn't have spoken to anyone outside my fairly toxic family for the last year thanks to Covid, and I'm sure many people are the same.
If you're too immature to block and move on from pages you don't like, though, maybe you shouldn't be on there.
Oh dear ??

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I’d you take the time to read the whole thread you’ll see that I don’t follow and im
Not on FB.
it was a conversation I had with someone about it who informed me...

So the whole post and 'rant' has been based on second hand information passed on in conversation?

In that case, I'd pay even less attention to it as repeated stories are rarely objective and fully accurate in my experience.

Blondiecopper

Visit site
So the whole post and 'rant' has been based on second hand information passed on in conversation?

In that case, I'd pay even less attention to it, as repeated stories are rarely objective and fully accurate in my experience.
It was more a case of ‘have you seen’
When I did I was flabbergasted. Hence the rant. Maybe im not exposed to that type of BS very often not being a member of said site.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Out of interest did it have EPM? That's awful having to pay for something you defintely did not request.

No, she did not. She had no symptoms. Never did. And she's 27 now, LOL. Thinking anything and everything had EPM was part of YO's strange delusional system. She would go on lengthy, frothing rants about EPM (among other things) while I was trying to ride and had repeatedly pushed me to get the horse tested, but I'd said no. The test is bloody expensive, and I was in intern in the Brooklyn DA's office at the time. Obviously I would pay for vet care that she needed, but I was pretty sure she didn't need this. Still, when I was out of the state, YO somehow got the vet to play along, which really pissed me off. Only vet I've ever encountered who would stick needles into a horse without express consent from its owner in a case where the horse plainly wasn't about to drop dead. When the vet called me chasing their $100, I told them that I did not ask for this test and wasn't happy that they'd done it without my consent. Their answer? "That sounds like an issue you need to take up with [YO]. But you still owe us $100."

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Not on FB.
it was a conversation I had with someone about it who inf.ormed me...

So there's even less reason for it to worry you - why do you care?

ETA I really couldn't be bothered to read the whole lot, quite a bit of which was off topic anyway. And it appears that I wasn't the only one.

IrishMilo

Visit site
Agreed.
turning a ‘blind eye’ now is something that we are expected to do.

Gone are the days we could have a conversation about a horses welfare. Now you get told you are interfering or as I said bullying.
It seems it’s more about not upsetting the owner than actually looking after the horse.

Starting a thread with the specific intent to bitch about someone, and have others agree with you, IS bullying. It's not 'being honest' or 'the good old days'. Why does it matter if they fabricate a few white lies if it makes them feel better?