Disgusted at behaviour of the hunt

VoR

Visit site
Well here's my opinion.

YGWYD - whilst there were some inconsistencies in your account which I was going to raise (I think you perhaps posted in haste/anger!!??) I'm glad that the Master has been round and sorted things with you (Vodka though, seriously?????? Yuck! :D)

Whilst we are all monitored on a daily basis through CCTV, speed cameras, et al, these are largely (although not exclusively) by the authorities or people protecting their own property/businesses and not a group of.....hmmm....what would they call me if I went on the street and started to get involved in monitoring/trying to prevent crimes, ah that's it......vigilantes.

There may well be hunts which break the law, there are others who do not, yet they all seem to attract the interest of our 'friends' in camo and balaclavas, so are they really interested in whether the law is being broken OR as I suspect is this all about 'class' i.e. because we own horses and follow a hunt we must all be 'toffs'? How wrong they are, plenty of people I know who ride/hunt have a far less 'middle/upper-class' background than I suspect many of the sabs do! I would also say that the vast majority of people I hunt with are animal lovers (no doubt that'll stir a few up!!).

The OP was about a hunt which, regardless of whether it was hunting within the law or not have accepted that their actions were wrong and was posted by someone who it seems had not taken 'time-out' to think things through before posting. We are now once again in to the pro hunt, anti hunt debate which, unless both sides seek to understand the other, which neither side wishes to, there will be and cannot be a resolution.

Anyway, roll on Saturday :D

TwoPair

Visit site
Post the hunting act, sabs are targetting hunts which they can see hunting illegally. Stop all hunts from hunting illegally and they will stop standing out in the wet and cold annoying any of you. They do not sab drag packs. They would not sab hunts that hunt only a trail and call off the hounds if the mistakenly pick up a live fox scent. (I accept that they will still sab hunts hunting legally with two hounds to a gun or a bird of prey). In the main though, they continue their activities because some hunts are continuing theirs.

Sorry but this is a load of bull :eek: :eek: :eek: The pack I myself have bloodhounded with have been subject to the attention of hunt sabs. It's not exactly like bloodhounds look like foxhounds either :rolleyes: :rolleyes: The man running frantically at the front dressed in lycra would probably be most miffed that he was mistaken for ginger vermin... :eek: :rolleyes: :D

hunting mad

Visit site
First of all,i go hunting at least once a week,sometimes twice a week,and we allow the hunt on our land.
I do have to say there are certain people that give hunting a bad name.Go where they like without thought for anyone else,block roads etc.
We ALWAYS put our horses away when hounds are local.....its a must.
As for the OP accusing of illegal hunting. Have you ever tried to stop hounds on a good scenting day.Accidents do happen.They will switch from a trail to a quarry,after all,that is what hounds were bred to do,and its still in them.You cant blame hounds!!!And when this does happen,hounds are stopped as quickly as possible

AengusOg

Visit site
Many people who break the law are part of a self-serving many of badly educated young with inadequate parenting. It does not mean that other better educated people with more advantages in life should follow them into illegal behaviour..
Criminals are criminals. Education and a good upbringing does not preclude anyone from a life of criminality.

There is no excuse for anyone to pick and choose which laws they intend to abide by.
I agree

Last edited:

Judgemental

The Internet makes one's location irrelevant
Visit site
For my part I was going to let this one die a natural death and had given up posting.

However I still can't make up my mind as to whether or not the events are genuine.

The bottle of Vodka does not lend credibility, Whisky yes, couple of bottles of wine, yes, but Vodka?

On the other hand, may be it came on the cheap from one of the many dodgy illicit distilleries that seem to be a problem for Customs and Excise.

If somebody gave me a bottle of Vodka, in the circumstances, even with a well known brand name, I would tip it down the sink on the basis of, if I personally did not buy it in a reputable supermarket or wine merchant, it's provenance cannot be guaranteed.

No, leaving Vodka out of the scenario, there is something not quite right about this thread and it's origin.

hunting mad

Visit site
For my part I was going to let this one die a natural death and had given up posting.

However I still can't make up my mind as to whether or not the events are genuine.

The bottle of Vodka does not lend credibility, Whisky yes, couple of bottles of wine, yes, but Vodka?

On the other hand, may be it came on the cheap from one of the many dodgy illicit distilleries that seem to be a problem for Customs and Excise.

If somebody gave me a bottle of Vodka, in the circumstances, even with a well known brand name, I would tip it down the sink on the basis of, if I personally did not buy it in a reputable supermarket or wine merchant, it's provenance cannot be guaranteed.

No, leaving Vodka out of the scenario, there is something not quite right about this thread and it's origin.

I did think vodka was odd

Judgemental

Visit site
I did think vodka was odd

In all the circumstances described, giving anything other than an apology is risky legally. It is in an effect an admission of both civil and criminal liability.

I know and have known many masters of hounds and I can't think of a single one who would give anybody a bottle of Vodka.

Normally masters and/or hunt secretaries only dispence 'bottles' as a thank you not as an apology.

No, when the facts are *distilled* there is something very odd about this?

Last edited:

hunting mad

Visit site
In all the circumstances described, giving anything other than an apology is risky legally. It is in an effect an admission of both civil and criminal liability.

I know and have known many masters of hounds and I can't think of a single one who would give anybody a bottle of Vodka.

Normally masters and/or hunt secretaries only dispence 'bottles' as a thank you not as an apology.

No, when the facts are *distilled* there is something very odd about this?

No,masters and vodka just doesnt add up,especially as a "sorry"

MerrySherryRider

Visit site

Considering how verbal you have been on this matter, I'm surprised you do not wish to know the truth. You have declined the OP's offer of a pm telling you the details, perferring to use the thread as a means of criticising anyone who shows the hunt in a bad light.
The OP was quite correct not to name and shame on a public forum, its common practice not to identify dealers, trainers, livery yards or even hunts on an open forum and I'm surprised that you keep baying for public identification.

Truth is not on your agenda is it ? Its more a case of 'The hunt that must never be criticised under any circumstances.'

This attitude does hunting no favours, its only by open dialogue that hunt supporters can be seen to be reasonable people.

Judgemental

Visit site
Considering how verbal you have been on this matter, I'm surprised you do not wish to know the truth. You have declined the OP's offer of a pm telling you the details, perferring to use the thread as a means of criticising anyone who shows the hunt in a bad light.
The OP was quite correct not to name and shame on a public forum, its common practice not to identify dealers, trainers, livery yards or even hunts on an open forum and I'm surprised that you keep baying for public identification.

Truth is not on your agenda is it ? Its more a case of 'The hunt that must never be criticised under any circumstances.'

This attitude does hunting no favours, its only by open dialogue that hunt supporters can be seen to be reasonable people.

I have not received a PM from the OP with any information!:(

VoR

Visit site
Op offered the information via pm if contacted.

OP doesn't need to be contacted, could just send it surely?

I did hear of a case where Master turned up at a landowners house with a bottle of scotch under his arm as an apology for crossing land he wasn't supposed to by mistake. Chatted for a while, made his apologies...........then left with the scotch still under his arm!! lol

Last edited:

Judgemental

Visit site
Op offered the information via pm if contacted.

But the OP did not supply any information, there was a PM but no information was forthcoming.

The people who come on this forum, in the main, are highly experienced hunting folk.

It is no good people trying to 'pull the wool', especially on Boxing Day, it will not succeed.

There is something very odd about the origin of this thread!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I did hear of a case where Master turned up at a landowners house with a bottle of scotch under his arm as an apology for crossing land he wasn't supposed to by mistake. Chatted for a while, made his apologies...........then left with the scotch still under his arm!! lol

Well, scotch is the tipple of choice for thanks or apologies; vodka's a very odd choice unless they were aware of the tenant's taste beforehand.

TwoPair

Visit site
Well, scotch is the tipple of choice for thanks or apologies; vodka's a very odd choice unless they were aware of the tenant's taste beforehand.

This ^^ another one who thought vodka was a bit odd. Never EVER heard of vodka being given - unless of course it was a homebrew of cherry/damson/blackberry or other?

Hollyberry

Visit site
Here come the hunting bods, automatically justifying what is obviously a totally unjustifiable situation. Similar thing has happened to me and I am constantly angered by the arrogant and disgusting behaviour of the people that hunt nowadays. I too was not an anti at all but I have been so totally disgusted at the behaviour every season that I really think the time has come to call an end to it. I do think it is because people's behaviour generally has got worse but most hunting folk think they have a god given right to plough up all the bridleways with quad bikes, horses, bikes etc, block driveways with lorries and followers as well as open gates and ride over land they chose to - oblivious of what is in the field and yes, I have seen it with my own eyes and a friend's horse was left in a ditch after it fell running away from the field and the followers just carried on and left him lying there. I am sick of the people on here ignoring the obvious that some hunting people are truly obnoxious and I wish they would not challange everyone who complains about them as being either ignorant or a townie, its very childish and I suspect the reason why hunting is getting such a bad name nowadays. Very sad.

VoR

Visit site
Here come the hunting bods, automatically justifying what is obviously a totally unjustifiable situation. Similar thing has happened to me and I am constantly angered by the arrogant and disgusting behaviour of the people that hunt nowadays. I too was not an anti at all but I have been so totally disgusted at the behaviour every season that I really think the time has come to call an end to it. I do think it is because people's behaviour generally has got worse but most hunting folk think they have a god given right to plough up all the bridleways with quad bikes, horses, bikes etc, block driveways with lorries and followers as well as open gates and ride over land they chose to - oblivious of what is in the field and yes, I have seen it with my own eyes and a friend's horse was left in a ditch after it fell running away from the field and the followers just carried on and left him lying there. I am sick of the people on here ignoring the obvious that some hunting people are truly obnoxious and I wish they would not challange everyone who complains about them as being either ignorant or a townie, its very childish and I suspect the reason why hunting is getting such a bad name nowadays. Very sad.

Do you know what, I was going to reply to this, but to be honest I won't even justify it with one other than to say your 'generalisations' are offensive to the majority of us who hunt and in many instances a nonsense!

Hollyberry

Visit site
Do you know what, I was going to reply to this, but to be honest I won't even justify it with one other than to say your 'generalisations' are offensive to the majority of us who hunt and in many instances a nonsense!

Fair enough, but you have to admit that there is very little acceptance from pro hunting people that any of them ever behave badly. I find it irritating that the po faced hunters who constantly pontificate about anti hunting beliefs being ignorant and getting all indignant when people say the obvious about hunts still hunting foxes think they are above reproach, the arrogance is unbelievable. I know hunts that hunt foxes constantly and they boast about it to anyone who will listen and I am not the only person who knows this. I just wish people would be honest about it and admit they are breaking the law and that is why sabs follow them. Let;s be honest, if there was nothing to find they wouldn't look and being secretive about their activities only adds to it all. There are of course sabs who are idiots and cause problems but that is true in all areas of life. Some of my friends hunt and some are anti, makes no difference to me if people behave as they should and don't harm others - how I wish that was the case.

Alec Swan

Visit site

OR, unless it was the closest bottle to hand!! ;) Otherwise, you're right!! A visitor may be invited to join us in a dram, but far less likely to be offered a VAT!! :eek::D

Alec.

hunting mad

Visit site

How can you say this?Do you know every single pack of hounds,and every single person that hunts?
If you have read my previous comments on this thread,you will see i say there are some people that give hunting a bad name,but not every single one of us.Most of us are law abiding citizens,who work hard to be able to go hunting,and have a social life.
You really have no right to say this :mad:

AengusOg

Visit site
It's not the hunts you need to worry about, in terms of foxes killed. Since the ban it has become year-round open season on foxes. They are still killed in huge numbers by people who prefer life without their depredations. The methods of killing them now, though, are not as humane or as observable as was hunting.

VoR

Visit site
Fair enough, but you have to admit that there is very little acceptance from pro hunting people that any of them ever behave badly.

Let;s be honest, if there was nothing to find they wouldn't look and being secretive about their activities only adds to it all.

You haven't read some of my other posts then! I would also point out that the anti hunt lobby won't usually, if ever, admit to doing anything wrong when clearly they do. They will cry unfair treatment and look at the nasty, violent, cruel hunt people when they have actually intimidated people to the point of retaliation, only recording the reaction on their cameras rather than the events leading up to it. Selective recording and clever editing can make anyone look like a saint or a sinner!

The secrecy is often to try to avoid any of the hunt supporters getting in to unnecessary confrontations (see above), given that sabs are not selective in which hunts they interfere with, even if legally hunting and should not be seen as an admission of guilt, but more often self preservation!

Fiagai

Visit site

Yes it is very sad HB! :mad: It is very sad that it has become so fashionable to make all-encompassing statements about everyone that hunts! In this day of PC gone mad it has somehow become acceptable to discriminate and abuse those who chose to continue to hunt. Unsupported allegations are made and everyone is treated as if they are criminals just because they chose an activity that has been labelled as elitism. The BCC on Boxing Day effectively said that anyone continuing to hunt fell under suspicion simply because they went out with horses and hounds!

I have used the example before that in my experience that 99% of drivers are responsible and considerate and in my experience the remaining 1% is the exception. I do not therefore damn all drivers of motor vehicles.

I expect others to extend the same courtesy to other activities and NOT jump on the bandwagon that is already overloaded with shouting ignorant oafs

rockysmum

Visit site
Dont see why everyone is having a problem believing the Vodka

Obviously the hunt were not very sorry, only slightly sorry, hence giving her an unwanted Christmas present :D :D

VoR

Visit site
Dont see why everyone is having a problem believing the Vodka

Obviously the hunt were not very sorry, only slightly sorry, hence giving her an unwanted Christmas present :D :D

Yep, that's it:

Secretary: Master these people have complained, perhaps you should take a rather lovely bottle of single malt round to say sorry.

Master: Certainly will, goodbye secretary...........not!!!????? Now where's that cheap Vodka I was given?

rockysmum

Visit site
Yep, that's it:

Secretary: Master these people have complained, perhaps you should take a rather lovely bottle of single malt round to say sorry.

Master: Certainly will, goodbye secretary...........not!!!????? Now where's that cheap Vodka I was given?

Absolutely

You do realise that anyone joining this thread at the end will now think the OP was complaining about the quality of the gift and that HHO have managed 18 pages of rants about it :D :D