Facebook - Horse shot by livery owner

Grumpy Herbert

Visit site
I utterly condemn the dumping of the horse in the garden. But before condemning shooting the horse I would want to know how old it was, whether it was in good health, and when the loaner last went to see it.

I could not condemn any livery owner for having a sick and/or old horse that had been abandoned at his premises put down.

It is very unfortunate that she did not own the horse, but again I would want to know whether the livery owner knew that before making a judgement on his actions.

Here's the latest from the newspaper: http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/11538293.Horse_killed_and_dumped_in_garden___2_men_arrested/?ref=rss

I don't think it could be said that the livery owner acted in a reasonable or proportionate manner in response to a £30 debt.

ladyt25

Visit site
I utterly condemn the dumping of the horse in the garden. But before condemning shooting the horse I would want to know how old it was, whether it was in good health, and when the loaner last went to see it.

I could not condemn any livery owner for having a sick and/or old horse that had been abandoned at his premises put down.

It is very unfortunate that she did not own the horse, but again I would want to know whether the livery owner knew that before making a judgement on his actions.
From the reports the horse was 7 years old with no health issues.
To me though this is irrelevant, you do not take the life of a horse or any animal in this way without contacting the owner. The ONLY time this could be acceptable is in an emergency situation where, for whatever reason the owner was not contactable.
Just disgusting behaviour from these people. There is no excuse or justification for it.

cptrayes

Visit site
The girl that loaned the horse has answered your questions further back in the thread. I believe the horse was 7 yrs old and not sick or old.

Please have some respect for her feelings and do not give the poster above any ammunition

OK, I hadn't read the rest of the thread, most of it was so hysterical :(

caramac

Visit site

I know this thread is very lengthy, but it appears the horse was only 7 and in good health and was destroyed in retaliation for a £30 debt. In any event were you also aware that the body was put on a JCB and dumped in the loaner's garden ! Surely you must agree that this is particularly despicable and deranged behaviour !

foxy1

Visit site
It was three weeks grass livery at 10 pounds a week. I should imagine the horse was distressed by the attempts to load it.

cptrayes

Visit site

cptrayes

Visit site
I know this thread is very lengthy, but it appears the horse was only 7 and in good health and was destroyed in retaliation for a £30 debt. In any event were you also aware that the body was put on a JCB and dumped in the loaner's garden ! Surely you must agree that this is particularly despicable and deranged behaviour !

Does 'utterly condemn' not make your question unnecessary?

rockysmum

Visit site
Most recently shot horses move. They are dead, but the nerves make the body twitch. The RSPCA have declared that the shooting was humane.

So they must be confirming that they were on site and supervised it. If they were they can make this comment, if they weren't it is only a guess on their part. And if they were, I think a lot more questions need to be asked of them.

cronkmooar

Visit site
No there isn't. The RSPCA have said that the horse was humanely destroyed with one shot to the head.

I'm not going to add to the loners distress, because I would be devastated if this was mine.

Have a look at all of the news reports, containing quotes of what happened prior the horse being shot. In addition, there are photos and comments all over facebook which tell a bigger story.

I would not however argue with you that the actual shot was not inhumane as that is what the RSPCA state

cptrayes

Visit site
So they must be confirming that they were on site and supervised it. If they were they can make this comment, if they weren't it is only a guess on their part. And if they were, I think a lot more questions need to be asked of them.

Not at all. It is perfectly possible to see from the placement of the shot whether the killing was or was not humane. In any case, it was done by a licensed slaughterman. I'm sorry, but I can't think that this story is as simple as it sounds if he had to pay a slaughter man, cost £150 in my part of the country, and chose to do that rather than recover the debt by selling the horse at auction.

I agree that the speculation should stop.

Last edited:

Sebastian

Visit site
Actually, there is

From the latest article

The RSPCA today said they believed Kit, above, had been humanely killed, but Beckie said she was distraught and her children had to walk past Kit as they went to school yesterday.

RSPCA inspector Karen Colman attended on Wednesday night and yesterday said Kit may have been killed with a single shot from a pistol.

She said the horse had been shot in the head, in what looked a humane killing, and said there was no other damage to the horse

pixie

Visit site
If you look at it another way...

How else does a YO recoup unpaid bills? Perhaps by sending said horse to an auction? Where its future would be entirely unknown.

It may be only 3 weeks livery owed to him, however if he has heard of her alleged reputation of not paying bills, then perhaps he wants to take action before being owed even more?

How do we even know for sure that he was given the contact details for the horse's owner? if the loaner only gave her own contact details and then was not answering then phone to him, what does he do?

cronkmooar

Visit site
From the latest article

I'm not going to comment further on the destruction of the horse after this as it really is unfair to all connected parties - but whilst the shot may have be humane, as stated by an RSPCA officer (not a vet) there is more in that same article from the perpetrators mouth which is hardly pleasant or acting in a humane maner

Bestdogdash

Visit site
OK, I hadn't read the rest of the thread, most of it was so hysterical :(

You (I note from your standard replies) would be one of the first to comdemn very directly any poster who had made a tactless or hurtful statement, without having read the full thread. Had you done so (I think by page two or three) you would have found the article in the York Press, giving full details of the sorry affair - horse 7, healthy and yard owed £30, perpetrator arrested, and then perhaps then you may have been able to contribute usefully.

foxy1

Visit site
Serve an abandonment notice and take her to small claims court.
Shooting the horse and dumping the body in her garden is indefensible.

cronkmooar

Visit site
Serve an abandonment notice and take her to small claims court.
Shooting the horse and dumping the body in her garden is indefensible.

Agreed, I'm actually quite surprised how many posters think there is a defence, but then the thread was stirred with a big spoon!

Sebastian

Visit site
You (I note from your standard replies) would be one of the first to comdemn very directly any poster who had made a tactless or hurtful statement, without having read the full thread. Had you done so (I think by page two or three) you would have found the article in the York Press, giving full details of the sorry affair - horse 7, healthy and yard owed £30, perpetrator arrested, and then perhaps then you may have been able to contribute usefully.

Except that the reality is not quite so black and white, since the latest article now says:

Locals suggested the dispute was over a £30 debt.

We clearly don't have the full story here.

ladyt25

Visit site
Full story or not, you don't kill someone else's animal due to a debt. There are ways and means. Debt collectors can collect for you and, having a horsee for several weeks on unpaid grass livery would not have caused issue for the yard owner. They have plenty of space! why not go down the proper routes?

rockysmum

Visit site
Except that the reality is not quite so black and white, since the latest article now says:

We clearly don't have the full story here.

What is the difference, they both say the debt was £30. But to be honest it wouldn't matter if it had been more, it was still the wrong way to do it.

And to those who think it was humane. Tell me how this mad horse which was rearing and striking out and injuring people (according to the yard owner) suddenly stood still and let them shoot it. Doesn't add up, although it might do if the reports of many other injuries as well as the bullet are true

Grumpy Herbert

Visit site
Irrespective of whether or not the horse was humanely destroyed, by a licenced slaughterman or RSPCA or whoever, the livery yard owner has NOT behaved in a reasonable or humane manner. It will have caused huge distress to everybody who witnessed a dead horse being driven through their village and dumped in a garden.

There are always two sides to every story, I agree, but seriously does anything warrant this sort of behaviour? I don't think people who have posted here are hysterical cptrayes, just outraged.

Sebastian

Visit site
Full story or not, you don't kill someone else's animal due to a debt. There are ways and means. Debt collectors can collect for you and, having a horsee for several weeks on unpaid grass livery would not have caused issue for the yard owner. They have plenty of space! why not go down the proper routes?

Oh, I totally agree.