Facebook - Horse shot by livery owner

Goldenstar

Visit site
I don't know anything about this except what's in the media but if a YOer called a Licensed slaughter man and said I have a horse who needs putting down and put it in the right way the slaughter man might well just take what he was told at face value and do the job.
A YOer being present at a PTS rather than the owner is not that unheard of .
Very Mean thing to to the slaughter man if that's what happened .

ladyt25

Visit site
I don't think it's acceptable to kill the horse. From what I've read in the links it sounds as if the horse was either killed in a fit of temper when it wouldn't load, or it was killed as the YO was determined to remove the horse from his premises ASAP and didn't want to lead it to the loaners home.

Killing the horse was wrong IMO, especially if the YO knew the horse was on loan. But I have read nothing to suggest whether he knew or not. If he didn't know the horse was on loan I can understand why he took action to remove the horse.

Going through the courts for abandonment would cost him and takes time, when he has little chance of seeing any money for the debt if he can't sell the horse. Loads of people are struggling to sell horses at the moment and its often for cheap prices. Then being a business he would have the hassle of the Sale of Goods Act if someone wanted to return the horse for refund after purchase. I *don't* agree with what he did, but if the YO didn't know the loaner was not the owner, I can see why he thought shooting the horse was the best option for him.

Nobody would be dumping my horse in my garden, dead or alive, because I *always* pay my livery fee. I have no sympathy for the horses loaner *if* this situation came about due to her not paying livery. Actions have consequences, harsh and unfair consequences in this case. It's the horses owner who has my sympathy. RIP poor horse.
Appreciate what you're saying but £30 is barely a debt and, if you are close enough to drive a JCB to a house, you are close enough to drive to this house and confront the owner or indeed walk the horsr there and 'dumpb it by the means of tying to the gate if needs be. You do not decide at 9pm at night to shoot someone's horse!
As said, grass livery caused him no expense. Put the horse up for sale if needs be but shooting it? There is no justification I'm afraid.

majors

Visit site
What is most shocking to me is the fact he picked up the poor dead horse in a jcb and dumped it in the lady's garden. Whatever the in and outs of the contract, money etc, it would take a certain sort of individual to do that, not one I would want near horses of influencing young riders

PollyP99

Visit site
What is most shocking to me is the fact he picked up the poor dead horse in a jcb and dumped it in the lady's garden. Whatever the in and outs of the contract, money etc, it would take a certain sort of individual to do that, not one I would want near horses of influencing young riders

Totally, sick and evil

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Sadly I believe that nothing will come of any prosecution, that is is sick country we live in. A nation of animals lovers........yeh really!..... Not.

There is no justification for this, no other side to the story. Anyone who stays at this yard or uses its facilities is a party to this horrific act. If I had been on that yard and this happened I would have moved the same day! How could I put my horse at risk leaving him there. There is no amount of money that justifies killing this animal, it is beyond belief.
Dumping the body in the garden really underlines what a foul human being this man is and the others too. I hope they live to really regrets their actions.

Oh yeah...I also always paid my livery on time......except for the one week I completely and utterly forgot! Luckily they didn't shoot my horse, Moses. They just made me a cup of tea and reminded me!

Last edited:

marotelle

Visit site
Hi;
I am very surprised by this thread; the man who owns the riding center is obviously totally out of control.In Belgium horse passports are taken seriously.
Last week I had to take my 16 yr mare, who was down with colic, to a well known horse clinic in Ghent.The care given was amazing; but before justfying ANY treatment I had to produce her passport ,up to date vaccina

Sebastian

Visit site
There is no justification for this, no other side to the story.
I agree that there is no justification for this, but I would like to know the full story of what actually happened here.

Totally agree and posts saying 'we don't know the facts' well we know some sick bar steward killed an innocent and scared horse for no good reason then sickeningly dumped it in a suburban garden. I for one know enough not to try to justify the action, fgs.

I don't know why people assume that wanting to know the full story equates with trying to justify what has happened.

I am confused.

Smurf's Gran

Visit site
I suspect no crime has been committed tbh and the guys will be released. No matter how frustrating some livery clients can be with their lack of payment, that YOs reaction is not the answer and cannot be justified. Some liveries will likely move their horses but other people will continue to use the facility. That's the way the world is.

A crime has been committed though - its criminal damage, its not legal to shoot someone's horse because they haven't paid their livery bill. You must follow a legal process. What a nutter, who would want to keep their horse at that yard. I have used the facilities before - never again

Smurf's Gran

Visit site
I agree that there is no justification for this, but I would like to know the full story of what actually happened here.

I don't know why people assume that wanting to know the full story equates with trying to justify what has happened.

I am confused.

Completely agree with you, enough is known about this to understand that it is indefensible. Can't believe some of the posts on here such as pony palace and Cptrates, read the papers its all over them.

Mrs B

Visit site

I am confused.

As you say, there is no justification for this. Therefore, (to me) wanting to know the 'full story' is a bit like rubber-necking past an accident on the motorway.

marotelle

Visit site
I had written a reply but it seems to have gone! Briefly I drove my sick mare to a well known Belgium clinik; she was very well looked after,but within minutes I had to produce her passport,up to date vaccinations and finally but not least ,proof of ownership.
Surely , in Britain you can't simply decide to have a perfectly healthy horse put down with no proof of ownership?
What's the point of having a passport?
This seems very odd.....

Sebastian

Visit site
As you say, there is no justification for this. Therefore, (to me) wanting to know the 'full story' is a bit like rubber-necking past an accident on the motorway.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on the last bit. The want for knowledge of the facts is not a bad thing.

cptrayes

Visit site
I'm pretty sure that there is an issue with the deceased horse then being dumped in a garden. It is surely illegal to shoot a horse without owners permission when the horse is in good health and is not causing any welfare concerns etc etc??? :/

Yes PR, but that's nothing to do with the RSPCA. It's not an animal welfare issue.

cptrayes

Visit site
I had written a reply but it seems to have gone! Briefly I drove my sick mare to a well known Belgium clinik; she was very well looked after,but within minutes I had to produce her passport,up to date vaccinations and finally but not least ,proof of ownership.
Surely , in Britain you can't simply decide to have a perfectly healthy horse put down with no proof of ownership?
This seems very odd.....

Yes, you can. I've never been asked for a passport yet, by a vet or a slaughter man.

Goldenstar

Visit site
This seems very odd.....

Horses can be put down in the uk with no paperwork or owners consent to relieve suffering, horses are often PTS at home and as the bodies don't go into the food chain no paperwork is needed .
We do not know what the slaughterman was told .

cptrayes

Visit site
Report says the guys responsible were held overnight, not something the police do normally if no crime committed.

Actually, with a gun involved especially, it wouldn't be uncommon for them to be held while checks were made and then released without charge.

NeilM

Visit site
According to the newspaper report, Mr Johnson said the horse was rearing and kicking out, yet they managed to place a .38 calibre pistol against its head and pull the trigger.

The whole thing is utterly appalling and beyond belief.

cptrayes

Visit site
Actually there's more than a suggestion....

No there isn't. The RSPCA verbal report after seeing the horse is that the only injury is a humane entry wound from a single bullet.

It is disgusting enough what he has done. It does not need embellishing with inaccurate claims that the horse was abused first, which only upset people unnecessarily.

Last edited:

brucea

Visit site
Sorry Bruce, there is no offence the RSPCA can prosecute. The horse was humanely killed and that is legal. He may be done for criminal damage for shooting the horse, but with a value of well under 5k, the penalty for that won't be very high. I also suspect a conviction for CD might be difficult to obtain in the circumstances.

You're probably right CP. So the only way that people have to make their feelings felt is to move and leave the yard empty, shunning it

Good Lord, if that happened up here the yard would be empty in 24 hours and it would be treated as an absolute no go area.

cptrayes

Visit site
According to the newspaper report, Mr Johnson said the horse was rearing and kicking out, yet they managed to place a .38 calibre pistol against its head and pull the trigger.

The whole thing is utterly appalling and beyond belief.

Neil if you'd seen a few bad loaders you'd know that they can be perfectly sweet and calm as soon as you take them away from the lorry ramp.

It is appalling, but not unbelievable.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Whatever the final legal outcome of this, it appears that a YO has made the decision to shoot a customers horse for a debt of 30 quid. I hope he does intend to turn the place into industrial units! I also hope that he does not get planning permission to so do and is then left with a pretty useless plot of land.

cptrayes

Visit site
You're probably right CP. So the only way that people have to make their feelings felt is to move and leave the yard empty, shunning it

Good Lord, if that happened up here the yard would be empty in 24 hours and it would be treated as an absolute no go area.

We can hope he is bankrupted by having an empty yard. It does seem likely that he deserves that.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site