Facebook - Horse shot by livery owner

cptrayes

Visit site
What is the difference, they both say the debt was £30. But to be honest it wouldn't matter if it had been more, it was still the wrong way to do it.

And to those who think it was humane. Tell me how this mad horse which was rearing and striking out and injuring people (according to the yard owner) suddenly stood still and let them shoot it. Doesn't add up, although it might do if the reports of many other injuries as well as the bullet are true

The RSPCA report is that there were no other injuries.

Plenty of horses that are absolutely crazy when you try to lead them are as calm as a millpond away from the lorry

I'm not saying any of this was good or right. I just don't think we have the whole story about the loaner, other than that she moved the horse there on the understanding that it was payment in advance and then point blank refused to pay a penny.

Last edited:

brucea

Visit site
Well I hope that everyone in the area remembers this, and current liveries reconsider their position with respect to the yard and drive it under financially by having no liveries at all.

Under no circumstances is this a humane or appropriate way to behave and I hope the RSPCA live up to their well earned reputation for securing convictions.

Sebastian

Visit site
What is the difference, they both say the debt was £30. But to be honest it wouldn't matter if it had been more, it was still the wrong way to do it.
I agree. What has happened is indefensible, but I would still like to know the truth.

And to those who think it was humane. Tell me how this mad horse which was rearing and striking out and injuring people (according to the yard owner) suddenly stood still and let them shoot it. Doesn't add up, although it might do if the reports of many other injuries as well as the bullet are true

According the latest article those reports are not true.

The RSPCA today said they believed Kit, above, had been humanely killed, but Beckie said she was distraught and her children had to walk past Kit as they went to school yesterday.

RSPCA inspector Karen Colman attended on Wednesday night and yesterday said Kit may have been killed with a single shot from a pistol.

She said the horse had been shot in the head, in what looked a humane killing, and said there was no other damage to the horse

cptrayes

Visit site
Well I hope that everyone in the area remembers this, and current liveries reconsider their position with respect to the yard and drive it under financially by having no liveries at all.

Under no circumstances is this a humane or appropriate way to behave and I hope the RSPCA live up to their well earned reputation for securing convictions.

Sorry Bruce, there is no offence the RSPCA can prosecute. The horse was humanely killed and that is legal. He may be done for criminal damage for shooting the horse, but with a value of well under 5k, the penalty for that won't be very high. I also suspect a conviction for CD might be difficult to obtain in the circumstances.

Last edited:
Visit site
The RSPCA will probably not do anything. They keep over 100 horses there and the other man arrested is the man who takes in and rehomes those horses for the RSPCA so he is really an RSPCA worker. He has a license to slaughter becasuse he often does with the RSPCA cases and he is also in posession of the weapons to do so. Whether it was him or the owner who actually fired the shot is in dispute. And I know this information as I know the yard well and used their facilities regularly, won't be going anywhere near them from now on!

cronkmooar

Visit site
All those that think this is acceptable, have a look at it this way ...

Here you are tonight having a bit of a discussion on the computer, nothing much going on, horse all tucked up for the night.

Then, just as you are about to type your next post, you hear a JCB outside, so you go outside to investigate and there is your horse shot and just dumped in your garden.

If that doesn't bother you and you think it is acceptable behaviour, then really why would you have a horse?

cptrayes

Visit site
I do agree, by the way, that shooting this horse of it was healthy was an outrageous thing to do. Sorry I haven't made that clear before.

Last edited:

cptrayes

Visit site
The RSPCA will probably not do anything. They keep over 100 horses there and the other man arrested is the man who takes in and rehomes those horses for the RSPCA so he is really an RSPCA worker. He has a license to slaughter becasuse he often does with the RSPCA cases and he is also in posession of the weapons to do so. Whether it was him or the owner who actually fired the shot is in dispute. And I know this information as I know the yard well and used their facilities regularly, won't be going anywhere near them from now on!

The RSPCA can't do anything to punish him. He has not committed any animal welfare crime. It is not illegal to shoot a horse.

Princess Rosie

Visit site

Here you are tonight having a bit of a discussion on the computer, nothing much going on, horse all tucked up for the night.

Then, just as you are about to type your next post, you hear a JCB outside, so you go outside to investigate and there is your horse shot and just dumped in your garden.

If that doesn't bother you and you think it is acceptable behaviour, then really why would you have a horse?

Well said. This is totally unacceptable in any circumstance.

digitalangel

Visit site

Wow i never normally comment on livery drama but this has actually really upset me. clearly the livery yard involved felt they were ' above the law ' due to their links with the RSPCA - and were probably betting that due to a conflict of interest that they would get away with it.

REGARDLESS of what money is owed, shooting a healthy horse is NEVER " the best possibly way" to deal with things.

Never been so angry before - want to wring this mans neck!

Princess Rosie

Visit site
The RSPCA can't do anything to punish him. He has not committed any animal welfare crime. It is not illegal to shoot a horse.

I'm pretty sure that there is an issue with the deceased horse then being dumped in a garden. It is surely illegal to shoot a horse without owners permission when the horse is in good health and is not causing any welfare concerns etc etc??? :/

PollyP99

Visit site

Totally agree and posts saying 'we don't know the facts' well we know some sick bar steward killed an innocent and scared horse for no good reason then sickeningly dumped it in a suburban garden. I for one know enough not to try to justify the action, fgs.

ladyt25

Visit site
I really hope the 'other guy arrested' isn't who you are suggesting or I at least hope it's someone else (and I am thinking or another person) as I'd hate to think that person would have destroyed a healthy horse under these circumstances?!

Sandstone1

Visit site
How awful, think dumping the horse must be illegal. There are rules on the disposal of dead animals surely. Also to destroy someone else's horse can't be right.

rockysmum

Visit site
I really hope the 'other guy arrested' isn't who you are suggesting or I at least hope it's someone else (and I am thinking or another person) as I'd hate to think that person would have destroyed a healthy horse under these circumstances?!

Well the press haven't picked up on one of the men working for the RSPCA, if it is true I am sure a real **** storm will follow

Equi

Visit site

It is not illegal if done correctly, but this was done as i hear by the wrong gun making it illegal. There is a specific gun that must be used.

skint1

Visit site
This story saddens me, what is wrong with the world today? It's worth remembering for every horrid person like this one there many others who get left holding the horse and owed a lot of money by flighty liveries and who do their utmost to do right by the horse. This guy is thankfully a nasty anomaly

ladyt25

Visit site
Well the press haven't picked up on one of the men working for the RSPCA, if it is true I am sure a real **** storm will follow
God, I really hope not as I have only ever heard good things about him and he says how he hates having to euthanase horses when the RSPCA tell him he has to :-(

Goldenstar

Visit site
The RSPCA report is that there were no other injuries.

Plenty of horses that are absolutely crazy when you try to lead them are as calm as a millpond away from the lorry

I'm not saying any of this was good or right. I just don't think we have the whole story about the loaner, other than that she moved the horse there on the understanding that it was payment in advance and then point blank refused to pay a penny.

What about the owner of the horse ?they are sure as hell have a case against the livery owner.
It is I am sure criminal damage which is a criminal offence not civil so the police will prosecute it and livery owners do not have the right to put horses to sleep willy nilly because they feel like it .

Poor mare not that it makes any difference but she was so very pretty .

Spring Feather

Visit site
I suspect no crime has been committed tbh and the guys will be released. No matter how frustrating some livery clients can be with their lack of payment, that YOs reaction is not the answer and cannot be justified. Some liveries will likely move their horses but other people will continue to use the facility. That's the way the world is.

ladyt25

Visit site
I am pretty sure they will be charged. This has been on the news here all day with more and more coming out. It is shocking as so many of us have used these facilities and they are very well known but you obviously never know what's going on behind the scenes. I just feel for all who have suffered for the sake of a few ££s

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site

I don't think it's acceptable to kill the horse. From what I've read in the links it sounds as if the horse was either killed in a fit of temper when it wouldn't load, or it was killed as the YO was determined to remove the horse from his premises ASAP and didn't want to lead it to the loaners home.

Killing the horse was wrong IMO, especially if the YO knew the horse was on loan. But I have read nothing to suggest whether he knew or not. If he didn't know the horse was on loan I can understand why he took action to remove the horse.

Going through the courts for abandonment would cost him and takes time, when he has little chance of seeing any money for the debt if he can't sell the horse. Loads of people are struggling to sell horses at the moment and its often for cheap prices. Then being a business he would have the hassle of the Sale of Goods Act if someone wanted to return the horse for refund after purchase. I *don't* agree with what he did, but if the YO didn't know the loaner was not the owner, I can see why he thought shooting the horse was the best option for him.

Nobody would be dumping my horse in my garden, dead or alive, because I *always* pay my livery fee. I have no sympathy for the horses loaner *if* this situation came about due to her not paying livery. Actions have consequences, harsh and unfair consequences in this case. It's the horses owner who has my sympathy. RIP poor horse.

PollyP99

Visit site
I suspect no crime has been committed tbh and the guys will be released. No matter how frustrating some livery clients can be with their lack of payment, that YOs reaction is not the answer and cannot be justified. Some liveries will likely move their horses but other people will continue to use the facility. That's the way the world is.

Report says the guys responsible were held overnight, not something the police do normally if no crime committed.