Foxhounds at Crufts

Apricot

Visit site
If Dazzleby's hounds are healthy and happy, which they clearly are, apart from grating against the old fashioned snobbery of certain individuals - which to an outsider come across as childish and ridiculous - WHAT DOES IT MATTER?

glamourstar

Visit site
Thank you M4FH and Dazzleby for coming on here to enlighten us about your hounds. It was really interesting, unfortunately, you weren't to know that the hunting section of this forum is generally only frequented by a handful of posters who have only themselves to talk to, as rational debate seldom happens here and most of us can't be bothered with it.

Less extreme hunting and riding horsefolk tend to stick to other areas of the forum.
Sorry you guys had such an unfortunate introduction to HHO.

^^^^^^^ This :)

Mmm - and was DoB's Milton part of the Beaufort pack at the time he was used to produce 'pet' foxhounds?? I suspect not! I somehow can't see the current Duke, Ian Farquhar or Martin Scott agreeing to it - and the 10th Duke would be turning in his grave at the thought!

...I have no reasons to doubt your professionalism (sp?) or passion for hunting and usually your posts seem enlightening but for gods sake!!!! This is a playground reply....'The Duke is my best friend not yours!!'..are u therefore suggesting that somehow Dazzleby sneaked her bitch in underneath Milton? Honestly, grow up! ...could it be that Ian Farquhar has santioned something without first consulting you?

I clearly state that I am a Supporter of Foxhounds and Hunting.

Believe in a Foxhound and it will succeed!!

^^^^ good on ya, and thanks for actually sensibly answering the OP's questions before all this handbags at dawn started!

..That is all!:D

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
...I have no reasons to doubt your professionalism (sp?) or passion for hunting and usually your posts seem enlightening but for gods sake!!!! This is a playground reply....'The Duke is my best friend not yours!!'..are u therefore suggesting that somehow Dazzleby sneaked her bitch in underneath Milton? Honestly, grow up! ...could it be that Ian Farquhar has santioned something without first consulting you?

If you must blaspheme, it's 'for God's sake'! The Duke is not on my Christmas card list - nor I on his - and it's a long time since Ian F. consulted me on anything. However, I DO know the MFHA's stance on foxhounds as pets, on the drafting of foxhounds, etc. etc. I do not believe a Master of Ian Farquhar's experience would sanction the use of a Beaufort stallion hound on a pet foxhound. Of course, if the hound had previously been drafted to another pack, he would have had no control of what another MFH sanctioned - but Dazzleby has not answered my question regarding that!

combat_claire

www.freewebs.com
I still await an answer re: showing of foxhounds at Crufts loose, but it would seem that the showing brigade are too busy taking umbrage to answer any sensible questions. Only Alec has bothered to answer me...

In other news Shooting Times is reporting that KC officials removed photos from the Bavarian Mountain Hound society stand as they felt that pictures of dogs tracking deer carcasses was akin to the Bull Terrier stand showing images of dog fighting. They stated that these were unsuitable for younger visitors to the show. Is this really a governing body that deserves an ounce of trust in preserving the working hounds?

combat_claire

www.freewebs.com
If Dazzleby's hounds are healthy and happy, which they clearly are, apart from grating against the old fashioned snobbery of certain individuals - which to an outsider come across as childish and ridiculous - WHAT DOES IT MATTER?

It has nothing to do with snobbery but well founded concerns about the mechanism of judging (which to date nobody from the showing side has bothered to answer) and the fitness of the Kennel Club to represent traditional working breeds.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
It has nothing to do with snobbery but well founded concerns about the mechanism of judging (which to date nobody from the showing side has bothered to answer) and the fitness of the Kennel Club to represent traditional working breeds.

Well said.

On that note does anyone know more about the judge on that day, a Mrs V (believe it is Vivien) Phillips and her connection to hunting? She is also involved with and judged the P. Basset and I can't deny that she put up a very well built, workmanlike bitch that was a pleasure to watch.

Sadly, PC-ism is going too far regarding the taking down of breed pictures doing what the dog was bred from, I'm surprised at Ronnie Irving, he should know better being involved in a sporting breed like the Border Terrier for so long. I suppose next, we won't be able to see a Highland Pony bringing a stag down the hill either and God forbid actually see a picture of a beagle hunting. Such a sad state of affairs and so many will now grow up not having a clue what their favourite breeds are why they are like they are and why they were developed to be like that.

Last edited:

EAST KENT

Visit site

The reason? Just take a look at the difference between show Labrador Retrievers and working ones----hunting bassets and show ones,the list goes on. As for "getting up close" to Foxhounds ..the public can do exactly this at any Hunt meet with true working hounds.
That angle is just a cover up for what one calls pot-hunting.

Herne

Visit site

It matters because judging in a ring is a very poor way of assessing the working characteristics of a breed, and people who are interested in showing will breed towards characteristics that they think are good for the show ring, not for those characteristics that are necessary for the working animal.

There are countless examples of this, where breeding for showing has introduced infirmities into working breeds. Just look at all the hip dysplasia in Labradors and German Shepherds.

More relevantly, look at the links in post #80 of this thread and compare what the hunting basset hound looks with what the Kennel Club thinks a show basset should look like.

Hunting people are worried that if the showing world gets its hands on the foxhound, they will do to it what they have already done to the Basset Hound.

This is NOT a case of stuffy, arrogant hunting gentry saying to the hoi-polloi "how dare you have the effrontery to think you can play with our toys".

This is the case of the hunting world looking at what has already happened many times in the past and screaming at the showing world "For God's sake, will you please look at what you have already done, learn by your mistakes and STOP before you do it again!!!"

Personally, I was disappointed when I (very politely) asked Dazzleby how she thought that the foxhound could be protected from going down the same line as the basset, all she could say to me was that "bassets had nothing to do with her."

If she does love the breed as she says she does, I would hope that she is able to think a bit harder on the problem than that.

Dazzleby

Visit site
There's an old saying on forums. When someone starts correcting punctuation or spellings it because they know they are losing the argument.

OOOPs sorry MISS!!!!

Dazzleby

Visit site
Is that the question ' What are my plans for the future' ?

Answer: To continue to have fun with my hounds.

To be wealthy enough that I can spend all my time with my hounds.

and to help hounds in need, through Foxhound Rescue UK.

Alec Swan

Visit site

Dear Lord, I was hoping for a sensible response. I'm now prepared to be a little less than courteous, and inform you that you have no business with hounds. Your wealth will be of little use to the Foxhound, as a type.

I would be more than happy to take issue, with any Master who supports your apparently profit driven stance.

Alec.

EAST KENT

Visit site
Dear Lord, I was hoping for a sensible response. I'm now prepared to be a little less than courteous, and inform you that you have no business with hounds. Your wealth will be of little use to the Foxhound, as a type.

I would be more than happy to take issue, with any Master who supports your apparently profit driven stance.

Alec.

You,me and a good few others of any genuine hunting folk!

EAST KENT

Visit site
Reading back amongst D`s post..she claims a "huntsman" asked if she would consider mating her pet bitch to one of their hounds.Now, as I know it a bitch has to prove herself over SEVERAL seasons as well as having decent conformation to even be considered as a suitable brood.What kind of huntsman,then, enquires about a pet/unhunted bitch. Just does`nt hold up does it? And ,what hunt and what huntsman??

Alec Swan

Visit site
would you care to explain the abbreviations please...........I have led a very sheltered life.

This forum doesn't permit for an accurate response, except to say, that my comment was a simple release at the exasperation, brought on by anybody who could be quite so self centred, avaricious and thoughtless, and promote themselves, by electing to take a type of hound, and promote it for their own selfish ends.

Alec.

EAST KENT

Visit site
Reading back amongst D`s post..she claims a "huntsman" asked if she would consider mating her pet bitch to one of their hounds.Now, as I know it a bitch has to prove herself over SEVERAL seasons as well as having decent conformation to even be considered as a suitable brood.What kind of huntsman,then, enquires about a pet/unhunted bitch. What sort of huntsman wants to end up with a litter of possible working disasters? And what kind of hunt wants a whole litter walked by one person..bit desparate for walkers it seems.Just does`nt hold up does it? And ,what hunt and what huntsman??

Sorry,another question...WHY on your website Guestbook are there 21 pages of praising comments,but each of the 21 pages is identical??
So,you seem to "compete" against yourself..with a "rare" breed (NOT) and you need to duplicate pages and pages on your guestbook..WHY??

Alec Swan

Visit site

Would it, perhaps be easier for you, if I were to ask my questions, but one at a time?

Here's the first; how do you dispose of those puppies, which don't aspire to the standards set by The Kennel Club?

Alec.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
There's an old saying on forums. When someone starts correcting punctuation or spellings it because they know they are losing the argument.

And there's another saying - when people ignore direct questions and instead post sarky comments it's because the answers to the questions won't help them at all!!

And you're wrong - people correct punctuation and spelling because some people's carelessness with it becomes downright aggravating to a grammar pedant!

glamourstar

Visit site
If you must blaspheme, it's 'for God's sake'!

You're not very bright, are you. It was the blasphemy I was objecting to! The careless punctuation was secondary!

hehehe you are a funny one are you not Jan?...I think that you will find that the implication in the first quote is that I am allowed to blaspheme but if I am to do that I really should be less careless with my punctuation. If, in fact that was not the point that you are trying to make then you may want to re-word your put downs in future? ...just a thought ;).

...and I am also immensely enjoying the fact that you have publically cast aspersions, (you can google that if you are unsure of it's meaning) on my intelligence just because I do not follow the same view as you and feel that you have been condescending to other forum members...you have made my day...

p.s. I think that when you were questioning my 'brightness' you asked a question and therefore would require a question mark after the 'are you'. Tut tut tut, careless puntuation Jan!

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
hehehe you are a funny one are you not Jan?...I think that you will find that the implication in the first quote is that I am allowed to blaspheme but if I am to do that I really should be less careless with my punctuation. If, in fact that was not the point that you are trying to make then you may want to re-word your put downs in future? ...just a thought ;)

You may have inferred that, but it wasn't my intention. I object to blasphemy on a public forum - NOT because I am religious myself, but people who are find it offensive. And it is made worse by ignorant punctuation.

...and I am also immensely enjoying the fact that you have publically cast aspersions, (you can google that if you are unsure of it's meaning) on my intelligence just because I do not follow the same view as you and feel that you have been condescending to other forum members...you have made my day...

No - I've cast aspersions on your intelligence because you have demonstrated a lack of it (as well as total ignorance over something simple like punctuation - its - when used as a possessive - does NOT have an apostrophe!

p.s. I think that when you were questioning my 'brightness' you asked a question and therefore would require a question mark after the 'are you'. Tut tut tut, careless puntuation Jan!

Oh no, again you're mistaken. I wasn't asking a question - I was making a statement - so no question mark required!

and p.s. My name is Janet - or Mrs George!