hats off to ellen

[ QUOTE ]
Whether talent or training, it makes no difference. She's at the top and doing well. does'nt matter which it is does it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I have trained with quite a few top trainers and they all say that some pupils will just never 'get it'.
If you look at any of the top trainers they train those like Ellen, Tim etc who can put the advice of the trainer into action and are out there winning and they train those who will never do well but they have enough money to train with top trainers.
If the training equated to success then all of a trainers pupils would be winning but some never will with all the help in the world.
At that height if you screw up the approach to a fence then the horse can only help you so much.

No, I am responding to you saying that you would be where Ellen is now if you had been given the opportunities she had.
I am saying do not say that because it is all talk. You have not yet explained how Helen Tredwell can make it with talent but few opportunities, but you, who could be better than Ellen, has not.

Of course you can have an opinion on her but it is ridiculous if what you have to say about her that you could be better. Lets stick to the facts

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Not wishing to be controversial but hands up those who are truely competitive and can honestly say they have NEVER lost it at some point to some degree with their horse.
I'm not condoning such actions but just as horses are horse, humans are humans.

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
Err honey where have i said i could be better? I'm not even talking about that, im saying please will you read what she did and explain to me how it can be condoned as good riding?
If she does that in public i can only imagine what she does at home.
I dont care who she is, she could be the queen for all i care i dont condone that kind of treatment by ANYONE no matter how famous/rich/etc they are

Ferdinase514

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Not wishing to be controversial but hands up those who are truely competitive and can honestly say they have NEVER lost it at some point to some degree with their horse.
I'm not condoning such actions but just as horses are horse, humans are humans.

[/ QUOTE ]

You took the words right out of my mouth.

showjump2003

Visit site
Been following the post all morning.. I nip out for an hour to ride, come back and there are 75 new replies! lol

I have an idea of how to settle the debate over whether it's talent or money that has got her to where she is..... I'm a crap rider so you all need to give me lots of money and nice horses and see if I'm at olympia next year
laugh.gif

I do not think what you whittnessed on Friday is good practice, but she is still a talented rider.
She lost it and got annoyed, hopefully she does not make a regular thing of this. You say you respect Ben Maher but he lost it at Hickstead with one of his horses.

What is the biggest competition you have competed in?
I ask this because I have competed at the nationals a few time with my horse (dressage), one year she went into the arena and was a cow, she spooked at loads of stuff and generally just ruined the test because she was in a mood. I got 9's and 3's!!! The judge said "wow, what a beautiful horse when it suits her". I was 4% behind the winner and i had a handfull of 3's. I lost it with her when I came out of the arena (no, i did not make her bleed or anything) but i made it clear that i was not happy). So, i cannot judge Ellen for getting annoyed with her horse when you are competing at a massive show which you could win but all your hard work is ruined because the horse can't behave for 5 minites when you keep it like royalty all year, it is SO frustrating. (If the horse can not do it then fine, but when they act up it is so infuriating!
If she makes a regular habit of this then it is wrong, I suppose it is wrong to do it once at a show but as i said i can not judge as i understand the feeling that occasionally leads you to loose it.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Not saying she was a good role model at that moment in time.
But again, having never been in a comp of that level I could not honestly say how I would react if i felt (rightly or wrongly) my horse had let me down.
To infer that her behaviour at home must be horendous if she behaves that way in public is probably unfair. Its more likely she reaction was caused by adrenalin and the hype of the comp. She may well feel very bad about the alledged incident when she cooled off.
People do things out of character when pumped up. Can you imagine how pumped up you need to be to tackle that comp? I cant.

BBs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thats true i agree we all lose it but i've never lost it to that extent and also shes in the public eye, little kidsbase themselves on her you know they look up to her, not really a good role model is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know exactly what you are saying, and to that extent its uncalled for...however, she is human and occasionally ppl lose it!
What she did wasnt right, but we cant take away that shes good at what she does 99% of the time.
You can have all the money, training and work jolly hard but that still doesnt automatically make you a talented world beating rider.

She is lucky that she was born into a family of sjers, however, her family DONT have the money to splash around like her uncles. Clare - johns wife had her own wealth to start with.

Ellen has opportunities tho, because of who she is...

Interesting to note that Helen Tredwell was at Addington on Wednesday night - her horses were jumping in the 75cm clear round! nice to see her out competing along side us strugglers lol
grin.gif

kayleigh_and_rocky

Well you say 99% of the time and yes she lost it then but every time i've seen her ride another horse other than locarno shes been incredibly heavy handed and contradictory in her signals (hauling it back then booting it) have always noticed it, friday was just like the icing in the cake where my ranting was concerned
I'm trying to think of when i've lost it, i've never really lost it at a competition i actually tend to lose it more in training when rock keeps pissing off with me hmm

kayleigh_and_rocky

I'm sure she didnt ask to be a role model but she knows that she is, it comes with the territory and so it is her responsibility to behave with some kind of dignity.
I'm sure its jealousy in many cases but not with me, like i said i dont like the way she rides and so it annoys me when people act like shes an amazing rider when actually shes incredibly heavy handed

BBs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't it funny how Ellen Whittaker is always the subject of debates?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Its cos we are all jealous lol

I mean, some of us want to be blonde (not me happy to be brunette)
Some of us want her figure - Yep I hate her - I want to look that good in white breeches.
Some of us want to be dating Tim Gredley - (not me - would have rather had Robert Maguire, oh shes been there too.....COW
smirk.gif
)
Some of us what to have her opportunities, training and her horses...

Yep, shes just a lucky young lady lol

emerald2006

Visit site
she lost it in the ring. it just happened to be in an international ring. if she had done that at somewhere like wales and west or bicton or somewhere less profile this debate would not be going on. she has guts of steel and i would certinly not like to jump over a 7ft high wall and she has talent. i wish i could ride like that and ok yes she does have the money to be trained but i know people with talent like that and not half as much money as her and they are on thier way to making it. it does happen. everybody starts at the bottom. how do u think thesae top SJs make thier money? through winning things.

Patches

Visit site
Oi missus! Hands off Robert Maguire...HE'S MINE! You can have the other young Robert!
tongue.gif

I'm with you though...don't want to be blonde but would love to be that thin!

My real jealousy when it comes to Ellen (and it's not real nasty jealousy) is that she's been around horses and ponies all of her life. It took me 32 years to finally live my lifelong dream. Must have been fabulous to have been brought up in the saddle.

Tempi

Visit site
for what its worth i think you guys should leave kayliegh alone, i know shes flown off the handle a bit (sorry hun, but you have) but to question why she isnt at the top is rediculous.

I know for a fact she puts a lot of hardwork and dedicatioin into training Rocky and i admire her for that, he hasnt been an easy horse and hes had a lot of problems with illness but shes struggled on with him and i for one am proud of her for the way shes kept going.

If someone brought her a 1million euro horse and gave her the training and upbringing ellen had had i can garentee you she'd be at the top right now. As it is shes like me and is struggling to get by on not much money and trying to make her way to the top with little/no funding and training every couple of weeks when she can afford it.

Money does make the horse world go round, noone can deny that.

[ QUOTE ]
To infer that her behaviour at home must be horendous if she behaves that way in public is probably unfair. Its more likely she reaction was caused by adrenalin and the hype of the comp. She may well feel very bad about the alledged incident when she cooled off.
People do things out of character when pumped up. Can you imagine how pumped up you need to be to tackle that comp? I cant.

[/ QUOTE ]

100% agree. The incident I explaind above is probably the only time I have EVER been rough with my horse in our 8 years together but if people saw me that day and no other time they would probably think i was a b*tch to her - that would be so far from the truth.

It is an awful feeling when adrenalin and hopes and expectations suddenly turn into dissapointment. One that is not often emulated at home.....If the horse is being moody at home you don't feel the dissapoinment you do if they throw a big chance down the drain at a big show.

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Not jealous, just in love.
If only I was 20 years younger, good looking, talented and rich.
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We want to see more of the belly piercing !
tongue.gif

Ellen is great.....Ellen is great.....Ellen is great.......

PaddyMonty

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
We want to see more of the belly piercing !
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree but would personally have stopped at ...want to see more.

Of her jumping horses obviously
tongue.gif

BBs

Visit site
Thanks Patches....I think I would rather eat my own anus
crazy.gif

There is nothing more disgusting than Robert Whitaker....ewwwwww GROSSSSSS

My mission is life is to have legs that look good in white breeches lol *puts chocolate digestives back in their box*

I would quite like to have her opportunities tbh! but totally understand what youre saying. To me atm, all i feel is OMG they are only 20 and competing at that standard, im nearly 30 and not even 1/4 of the way there
frown.gif

Tempi

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
it is an awful feeling when adrenalin and hopes and expectations suddenly turn into dissapointment. One that is not often emulated at home.....If the horse is being moody at home you don't feel the dissapoinment you do if they throw a big chance down the drain at a big show.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh come off it hun, so you are really trying to justify the way ellen treated her horse......there is no excuse for that sort of behaviour, its pure cruetly. whether she is at home or at a big competition she shouldnt be repremanding the horse like that.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
There is nothing more disgusting than Robert Whitaker....ewwwwww GROSSSSSS

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't let RosiePosie see that - think she's his number one fan!
wink.gif