Horse being hit around the head

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koweyka

Visit site
I don't think there is very much 'legal sabbing' going on at all. That would require peaceful, non-abusive (verbally and physically) protest or presence, sticking to PROWs and not disrupting an activity which is legal. I have seen exactly that kind of monitoring (and have spoken to monitors to explain routes/directions/where hounds were) but the vast majority of sabbing steps off the 'legal' side of protest/activism.

Shooting is, as hunting was, more nuanced than many people realise.

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/news/w...ds-for-game-and-conservation-announced-110672

From the Moorland's Association re: Plantlife report

It's always interesting to see how others are managing the habitats that include areas of peat in other areas of the UK and the arrival today of Plant life, the quarterly magazine from PlantLife, a conservation charity, includes an article on four of their conservation projects in the Back From the Brink partnership project which, after 4 years, finishes at the end of this year.
One project, in particular, is of interest as it reports how the Lesser Butterfly Orchid has responded to 'controlled burning of dense, tussocky purple moor-grass which gave plants the space and light to grow', in the Dorset Heathland Heart trial into habitat management.
It further states that 'In fact, the number of flowering plants more than doubled from 11 to 25 in two years'
Perhaps, though, the most surprising part of the article is not the fact that a conservation charity is using controlled cool burning on Dorset heathlands ( which include peatland!), but the fact that of the eight funding bodies supporting this partnership project one is the RSPB who are so vocal about how we are damaging peatlands by using controlled cool burning on our moorlands, despite the science and evidence proving otherwise!
#RSPB #controlledcoolburning #plantlife #orchids #nidderdale #NidderdaleMoorlandGroup #gamekeepers #managedmoorlands #COP26Glasgow

The other thing to bear in mind is that shooting can provide a 'free' service to the government in several ways in relation to conservation goals (regardless of any employment benefits) Without shooting there would be additional costs to maintaining and improving those landscapes which are globally significant.

As with hunting though it is extraordinarily difficult to have a discussion about it as views are so polarised.

Those awards are akin to Turkeys voting for Christmas to happen twice a year, who can kill more birds and get a pat on the back it’s just vile.

Tell me how you feel about gamekeepers killing birds of prey, or will you claim that doesn’t happen ?

Dizzy socks

Visit site
I don't think there is very much 'legal sabbing' going on at all. That would require peaceful, non-abusive (verbally and physically) protest or presence, sticking to PROWs and not disrupting an activity which is legal. I have seen exactly that kind of monitoring (and have spoken to monitors to explain routes/directions/where hounds were) but the vast majority of sabbing steps off the 'legal' side of protest/activism.

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/news/w...ds-for-game-and-conservation-announced-110672

It's always interesting to see how others are managing the habitats that include areas of peat in other areas of the UK and the arrival today of Plant life, the quarterly magazine from PlantLife, a conservation charity, includes an article on four of their conservation projects in the Back From the Brink partnership project which, after 4 years, finishes at the end of this year.
One project, in particular, is of interest as it reports how the Lesser Butterfly Orchid has responded to 'controlled burning of dense, tussocky purple moor-grass which gave plants the space and light to grow', in the Dorset Heathland Heart trial into habitat management.
It further states that 'In fact, the number of flowering plants more than doubled from 11 to 25 in two years'
Perhaps, though, the most surprising part of the article is not the fact that a conservation charity is using controlled cool burning on Dorset heathlands ( which include peatland!), but the fact that of the eight funding bodies supporting this partnership project one is the RSPB who are so vocal about how we are damaging peatlands by using controlled cool burning on our moorlands, despite the science and evidence proving otherwise!
#RSPB #controlledcoolburning #plantlife #orchids #nidderdale #NidderdaleMoorlandGroup #gamekeepers #managedmoorlands #COP26Glasgow

The other thing to bear in mind is that shooting can provide a 'free' service to the government in several ways in relation to conservation goals (regardless of any employment benefits) Without shooting there would be additional costs to maintaining and improving those landscapes which are globally significant.

As with hunting though it is extraordinarily difficult to have a discussion about it as views are so polarised.

The wildlife aspect *may* be debatable. I can understand possible merits in certain circumstances, but I will say that the benefits are incidental to shooting, and could equally well be created without it. To be honest, in my experience, land management is best described as game above all, and anything which interferes must be exterminated. I don't think controlled burning is always bad, but as in your example, it is incidental to shooting, and can- and does - happen regardless.

The animal cruelty is an entirely different question, especially when it comes to gun dogs. It is disgracefully underregulated, and there is no appetite from within to reform - any attempt at change seems to be seen as interference, even when cruelty is so blatant. I'm not sure that looking to shooting helps hunting, really - people are just less aware of what goes on, there's less scrutiny. It's a shame. And yes, having witnessed Larsson traps, I don't think anyone should be using them, not hunters, shooters, or the RSPB - I understand the need to trap, but imo they're unacceptable. I'm not advocating for no shooting, I'm just saying that in its current form, cruelty is widespread.

I say this only as a point of interest really, but I witnessed a group of hunt sabs when at the COP26 march in Glasgow on Saturday.

NinjaPony

Visit site
I really don’t think this is about the sabs. Plenty of people would film horrible abuse like that, and there is absolutely no excuse to treat a horse like that, whatever sport you are in. Doing that in public view, particularly when hunting has already had so much bad press, is astonishing. I don’t agree with involving anyone else in the furore, her child should absolutely be kept out of it, but i really don’t think we should be prepared to turn a blind eye, and some of the comments what-abouting really miss the point IMO. Owning a horse is a privilege and some people seem to forget this. Disgusting behaviour.

palo1

Visit site
I really don’t think this is about the sabs. Plenty of people would film horrible abuse like that, and there is absolutely no excuse to treat a horse like that, whatever sport you are in. Doing that in public view, particularly when hunting has already had so much bad press, is astonishing. I don’t agree with involving anyone else in the furore, her child should absolutely be kept out of it, but i really don’t think we should be prepared to turn a blind eye, and some of the comments what-abouting really miss the point IMO. Owning a horse is a privilege and some people seem to forget this. Disgusting behaviour.

I agree with you. For me the sabs are a distraction but a significant one. The fact remains that this is vile behaviour and anyone out hunting needs to make sure that their behaviour and attitudes really are beyond reproach.

palo1

Visit site
Those awards are akin to Turkeys voting for Christmas to happen twice a year, who can kill more birds and get a pat on the back it’s just vile.

Tell me how you feel about gamekeepers killing birds of prey, or will you claim that doesn’t happen ?

I understand your perspective on shooting, I really do. There are other perspectives too though. I wonder what aspect of traditional rural managment you respect - is there anything that you would like to see remain in place?

I totally get your concerns about birds of prey too - I am passionately interested in birdlife and understand your fears for raptors on sporting estates. I know that gamekeepers have been prosecuted and that the position with Hen Harriers is particularly fraught.

ETA - my experience of a shooting estate (grouse) is that by observation alone there is considerable life and diversity; grouse are worth protecting as are all the raptors. I have seen healthy populations of golden plover, lapwings and curlew on a managed shooting estate where they are hard to find in other places. Similarly with fungi, plants and other wildlife. Every estate is different I guess though.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

I live on the very edge of a very large shooting moor. I see the effects of it when I fetch my shopping.

Conservation can, and should, be done without killing animals in a bad way for the fun of it.

I refused permission for the gamekeeper to kill magpie on my land. I still haven't seen one since a few weeks after that permission was sought. At the same time the buzzard disappeared. Plenty of pheasant though.

Sandstone1

Visit site
I can not understand the mentality of people more concerned that the abuse was filmed than the actual abuse. The woman must have known she was being filmed and yet still did it. What else does she do to the horses when no one around? The mind boggles that people seem to think treating horses like this is ok. Sometimes I really hate people.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Well we had a shoot for many years until this one and wildlife, bar foxes, mink and grey squirrels certainly did very well out of it.
Shooting like hunting is not really worth debating as people have strong opinions which are unlikely to change.

There are shoots and shoots and some shoots are a scorched earth situation for small predators.
In my youth the agricultural situation was far more friendly for wildlife and these small predators where plentiful so a degree of management of say stoats was manageable now I rarely see a stoat as an example .

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I suspect the fall out from this is going to be pretty huge. The lady’s been named all over sm, her place of work identified and National press picking up on the story.

But still no official statement from the Cottesmore or Hunting Office ??‍♀️

palo1

Visit site
I live on the very edge of a very large shooting moor. I see the effects of it when I fetch my shopping.

Conservation can, and should, be done without killing animals in a bad way for the fun of it.

I refused permission for the gamekeeper to kill magpie on my land. I still haven't seen one since a few weeks after that permission was sought. At the same time the buzzard disappeared. Plenty of pheasant though.

I know we really differ in perspectives on this sort of thing @ycbm but I would ask you to consider the safety of your own wildlife; you have incredibly threatened curlew on your ground I understand. I am sure that you have researched the threats to those ground nesting birds which you are very lucky to have but if you haven't it may be worth you devising your own plan for protecting them. I completely understand not wanting to have magpies or buzzards shot by someone else, or at all but it is vital that if ground nesting birds are to survive (and curlew are on the absolute brink of survival) that predation on them is reduced somehow. There are a number of threats which you may be able to mitigate in ways that you are happy with. That has nothing to do with pheasants by the way, but predators!

Koweyka

Visit site
I understand your perspective on shooting, I really do. There are other perspectives too though. I wonder what aspect of traditional rural managment you respect - is there anything that you would like to see remain in place?

I totally get your concerns about birds of prey too - I am passionately interested in birdlife and understand your fears for raptors on sporting estates. I know that gamekeepers have been prosecuted and that the position with Hen Harriers is particularly fraught.

ETA - my experience of a shooting estate (grouse) is that by observation alone there is considerable life and diversity; grouse are worth protecting as are all the raptors. I have seen healthy populations of golden plover, lapwings and curlew on a managed shooting estate where they are hard to find in other places. Similarly with fungi, plants and other wildlife. Every estate is different I guess though.

Isn't there a quote that says “Tradition is peer pressure from dead people”
As the most wildlife depleted country in the world the management occurring at the moment appears to be doing a p poor job of it.

Shooting estates are vile, my group got a shooting estate cautioned for killing a bird of prey and destroying the nest, it was only because we couldn’t prove who actually shot the bird (which gamekeeper) the police couldn’t prosecute more fully.

The stink pits on there were horrendous, foxes bodies piled up including tiny cubs, all manor of birds on there, they were too stupid not to burn the BOP body as we were able to send it for PM it was peppered with shot laying next to her nest.

Hopefully the shooting industry will go in the near future. Killing for fun is not acceptable, it’s a colossal waste of life.

palo1

Visit site
I suspect the fall out from this is going to be pretty huge. The lady’s been named all over sm, her place of work identified and National press picking up on the story.

I think their statement was to the ITV news though I agree it would be helpful to have it on their social media. They may be reluctant however, to join in the social media pile-on.

palo1

Visit site
Isn't there a quote that says “Tradition is peer pressure from dead people”
As the most wildlife depleted country in the world the management occurring at the moment appears to be doing a p poor job of it.

Shooting estates are vile, my group got a shooting estate cautioned for killing a bird of prey and destroying the nest, it was only because we couldn’t prove who actually shot the bird (which gamekeeper) the police couldn’t prosecute more fully.

The stink pits on there were horrendous, foxes bodies piled up including tiny cubs, all manor of birds on there, they were too stupid not to burn the BOP body as we were able to send it for PM it was peppered with shot laying next to her nest.

Hopefully the shooting industry will go in the near future. Killing for fun is not acceptable, it’s a colossal waste of life.

What has any of that got to do with @ycbm's curlew?
I just wondered if there was any part of traditional rural management that you would value or see kept in tact @Koweyka (not a question related to hunting or shooting necessarily as I understand why you would like those gone). I am interested in what your wider view of the countryside and how best to manage it is.

Nancykitt

Wester Ross, the beautiful NW coast of Scotland
Visit site
Re. the shooting debate - my main issue is raptor persecution on the grouse moors. It actually seems to be getting worse and while people will tend to blame the gamekeepers there are calls for the estate owners to take responsibility for the illegal shooting & trapping of birds of prey, particularly on the grouse moors. There is shocking footage which has led to prosecutions but the problem persists. There is a campaign for these shoots to be licensed with the licenses being withdrawn if there is evidence of illegal activity.

Back to the hunt incident: I just wonder what drag and bloodhound packs would need to do to distance themselves from the campaigns promoting that all hunting is bad and involves abuse of animals. I worry that there is actually very little that can be done. We once had 'monitors' out with us, it was all very civil, they saw nothing that worried them. But I think that such positive relationships are probably extremely rare.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Wow at some of these responses, why do some on here still find violence agains
I know we really differ in perspectives on this sort of thing @ycbm but I would ask you to consider the safety of your own wildlife; you have incredibly threatened curlew on your ground I understand. I am sure that you have researched the threats to those ground nesting birds which you are very lucky to have but if you haven't it may be worth you devising your own plan for protecting them. I completely understand not wanting to have magpies or buzzards shot by someone else, or at all but it is vital that if ground nesting birds are to survive (and curlew are on the absolute brink of survival) that predation on them is reduced somehow. There are a number of threats which you may be able to mitigate in ways that you are happy with. That has nothing to do with pheasants by the way, but predators!

we have alot of curlew in the summer and no shoots. magpies and buzzards 'tick'.

I'm no huge fan of magpies and I know farmers that loathe them (and corvids generally) but local wildlife (a mix of open moor, old deciduous/beech woods and forestry plus about 2,000 acres of grazing/forestry left to run wild for 15 years) is doing very well without being managed by people who want to shoot. No foxhunts either, thank goodness.

One species that isnt doing as well as it was 5 years ago is the hen harrier, because we are in fact (as the harrier flies) quite close to the shooting estate being investigated for raptor persecution.

palo1

Visit site
Re. the shooting debate - my main issue is raptor persecution on the grouse moors. It actually seems to be getting worse and while people will tend to blame the gamekeepers there are calls for the estate owners to take responsibility for the illegal shooting & trapping of birds of prey, particularly on the grouse moors. There is shocking footage which has led to prosecutions but the problem persists. There is a campaign for these shoots to be licensed with the licenses being withdrawn if there is evidence of illegal activity.

Back to the hunt incident: I just wonder what drag and bloodhound packs would need to do to distance themselves from the campaigns promoting that all hunting is bad and involves abuse of animals. I worry that there is actually very little that can be done. We once had 'monitors' out with us, it was all very civil, they saw nothing that worried them. But I think that such positive relationships are probably extremely rare.

Well the positive stuff isn't publicised -not much news value in 'Monitors agree that legal hunting is in place'... We have had monitors out too several years ago; very polite and again nothing for them to report. But monitors seem less common than sabs!! I think neither drag nor bloodhounding packs particularly want to distance themselves possibly because of the common thread of hound breeding and hound work and both of those groups have also been targeted. Some hunts that were trail hunting have moved over to drag hunting so the community isn't neatly divided.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site

IF (and this a big IF) the identity being spread around is correct, it gets even worse than it first appeared, and that was bad enough :rolleyes:.

If it isn't her, then I hope that the name is removed from SM asap.

The Cottesmore will know who the horse hitter really is, and should step in now to clarify if a blameless person has been wrongly outed.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
IF (and this a big IF) the identity being spread around is correct, it gets even worse than it first appeared, and that was bad enough :rolleyes:.

The hunt will know who the horse hitter really is, and should step in now if a blameless person has been wrongly outed.
Surely it is the responsibility of the people "naming" and " hunting" this woman to ensure that they have at least named the correct person? I cannot see how anyone can believe that it is a third parties responsibility to correct the error.

palo1

Visit site
Wow at some of these responses, why do some on here still find violence agains

we have alot of curlew in the summer and no shoots. magpies and buzzards 'tick'.

I'm no huge fan of magpies and I know farmers that loathe them (and corvids generally) but local wildlife (a mix of open moor, old deciduous/beech woods and forestry plus about 2,000 acres of grazing/forestry left to run wild for 15 years) is doing very well without being managed by people who want to shoot. No foxhunts either, thank goodness.

One species that isnt doing as well as it was 5 years ago is the hen harrier, because we are in fact (as the harrier flies) quite close to the shooting estate being investigated for raptor persecution.

That is fantastic about the curlew but not so good about hen harriers. If you have healthy numbers of curlew I hope you are updating CurlewCountry with those as your situation is definitely bucking the trend and would be really significant. If the land you mention isn't yours, do you know how that is funded/managed?

palo1

Visit site

The Cottesmore will know who the horse hitter really is, and should step in now to clarify if a blameless person has been wrongly outed.

It is dire to have this kind of sm frenzy because of attention drawn to it by a celebrity. If any one of us tried to draw attention to a similar instance of animal cruelty it would remain totally unnoticed. That isn't to say this behaviour shouldn't be called out and challenged but the pack mentality on these occasions is really grim. :( CP should really consider his actions more carefully.

Peglo

Visit site
I watched a programme where they were shooting white hare because they were apparently giving grouse ticks and they wanted to shoot the grouse so had to shoot the hare to shoot the grouse….. it’s dung like that that makes me hate shooting. before humans took over the majority of land all the species had plenty of room to live together without needing to be killed by humans. But that’s a whole other topic!

i think it’s important to discuss the woman’s behaviour on the forum. This is a place where people come for tips and advice on horses and it’s good to remind people if they are seeing that sort of abuse at shows and yards often that it is never tolerated or acceptable. Also there may be strong opinions on here but I don’t believe anyone on the forum is mental enough to hunt the woman down. But CP has deliberately used his celebrity status and all his followers to shame and rally hate against one woman on SM. I just find that really scary as you have no idea what folk might do.

on a high note we have an abundance of curlews up here (or whaps as we call them.) hopefully the ducking stoat invasion won’t damage their numbers.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Surely it is the responsibility of the people "naming" and " hunting" this woman to ensure that they have at least named the correct person? I cannot see how anyone can believe that it is a third parties responsibility to correct the error.
I am very uncomfortable with an unconfirmed name being bandied about on SM, but if the name is correct, there is a connection (not sure if current or former) to the Cottesmore, who could swiftly put paid to it.

This needs clearing up ASAP if the name of an innocent party, inc details of her profession and alleged place of employment, is being falsely bandied about.

TPO

Visit site
The person named is a Hunt Master, if correct ID, but the hunt have said this person isn't a member of their hunt?

If she is who has been named surely the Hunt should have said nothing rather than outright lie?

*goes without saying I think she's a disgusting human and I don't condone her actions at all

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
That is fantastic about the curlew but not so good about hen harriers. If you have healthy numbers of curlew I hope you are updating CurlewCountry with those as your situation is definitely bucking the trend and would be really significant. If the land you mention isn't yours, do you know how that is funded/managed?

Its farmland mostly, the moorland is privately owned but the Kirk graze on it, and there is some muirburn on the hill but no shooting. Its almost all pasture here except the odd field of barley or neeps for grazing in rotation. Cattle are housed October throught to May(ish) and there will be some blackies on the hill and mules closer to home. Its poor land which is never overgrazed. We have a good population of curlews in the spring/summer, oyster catchers, peewits, stoats and weasels, otter down in the woods, too many badgers, mistle and song thrushes, green and spotted woodpeckers, owls, hare, voles, kingfishers, red grouse, a couple of peregrines a few years ago, merlin, the odd kite (who generally gets chased off by ravens), a whole myriad of warblers, finches, yellowhammers etc. The 2000 acres of disused grass/forestry-apart from a bit of stalking, no shooting occurs apart from a cople of old boys allowed to shoot on one bit of land next to land I rent, but they just shoot whatever feral pheasant they find and mostly just enjoy working their two dogs, they have nothing to do with managing the land. Much of the hill is too rough to allow jo public to walk their stupid dogs, which is a bonus too.

I grew up in Suffolk, I remember seeing gamekeepers gibbets and an absolute dearth of small mammals even though we were relatively rural and I remember the small birds disappearing due to hedgerow loss-glad to see the finches and yellowhammers up here. As an adult I saw the large shoots around Newmarket. While I understand there will be shoots doing good work wrt land management, I do not agree they are required to enable wildlife to flourish.

I know what the local farmers think about shooting as they are my neighbours and friends, a couple of them let me use their land so I can help keep an eye on anything untoward that might be going on (coursing for one, deer poaching another, hiding stolen goods yet another lol) and I know their thoughts on ground nesting birds, badgers, ravens, hare, raptors and those that profess to control them. CurlewCounty is in England only I think? I do keep the hen harrier people informed but sadly, apart from a quick sighting earlier this year, I've not seen one for about 5 years.

dont get me started on the culling of mountain hare.

palo1

Visit site
Ah, Scotland!! Another country indeed. One thing I have noticed and discussed with friends is how, hereabouts, poverty has been, for wildlife and community in part, a social good; it has prevented all sorts of 'improvement' and development with the result that nature/wildlife has a better shot at things. A lot of hill farmers either don't need or can't afford fertilisers etc and don't have time and energy to 'keep things tidy' which seems like an increasingly suburban influence in the countryside. In the same way, for communities there are not the same levels of disparity in wealth and poverty though I am far from denying really serious social problems and deprivation in the countryside. It just feels a bit as if it is less bad generally than where intensive agriculture, development and suburbanisation/gentrification has taken place.

We have curlew, peregrines, masses of kite, buzzards, ravens, polecats, stoats and weasels as well as otters, badgers, foxes, deer, wild pigs and all manner of 'general' bird life and dark skies. Where I used to live we had nightingales though their disappearance was something that brought me to realise how utterly vital it is to look after those habitats and threatened species.

I know it is very different where there is far more pressure on land and populations and more money to 'improve' things. :(

Fellewell

Visit site
TBF it's more reasonable to expect a man to explain to his wife why he is angry and frustrated with her than it is for a human to explain it to a horse by having a dialogue. Horses do tell each other they're out of order by booting them.

In these circumstances it can't be in any way justified since from the horse's POV, it was punished for being caught, the human's behavior served no purpose at all except to demonstrate to the other humans what a "badass" she was, and she ended up looking, at best, a tit, at worst a cow.

Agree with this post, I think she was trying to demonstrate how 'badass' she was to the people filming/harassing her.
yes the correction was totally disproportionate but I think it was a 'get any closer to me and the kids and you're next' kind of thing. That and the fact that a loose horse on a public highway is a danger to itself and others and would have ramped up the tension further.
As for all the outraged posters. I can remember posters asking for advice on an errant horse being advised on imaginative ways to use blue pipe. A lot of 'road to Damascus' moments since then apparently.
Well done to the Cottesmore though. A bunch of sabs couldn't find anything other than a lone women and some kids trying to load ponies.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The person named is a Hunt Master, if correct ID, but the hunt have said this person isn't a member of their hunt?

If she is who has been named surely the Hunt should have said nothing rather than outright lie?

*goes without saying I think she's a disgusting human and I don't condone her actions at all

I haven't seen that she is a HM? Just involved with the PC?

fetlock

Visit site
I am very uncomfortable with an unconfirmed name being bandied about on SM, but if the name is correct, there is a connection (not sure if current or former) to the Cottesmore, who could swiftly put paid to it.

This needs clearing up ASAP if the name of an innocent party, inc details of her profession and alleged place of employment, is being falsely bandied about.

This is the second name being bandied about.
The first name - identified apparently via facial recognition software the sabs used- was apparently wrong. Before that became apparent the woman received phone calls. Imagine that. You're minding your own business, having a peaceful Sunday and suddenly nutters start ringing you non stop and making false accusations. No doubt the same is also happening re the new name on the block.

On this one I don't see why the hunt should have to step in to confirm or deny, to appease - and inflame- nutcases intent on taking things into their own hands, instead of letting the law take its course. Since, by then, legal repercussions were highly likely, I imagine the best course of action chosen by the hunt was to say nothing, or as far as on social media is concerned anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.