Horse is fitting after head injury- what are my chances?

Street_Skill

Visit site
I know exactly what you've just been through although my horse had a different injury and I endured his recovery for over 6 months, but it was equally unusual. When the massive weight of stress and worry lifts off your shoulders and you allow yourself to be cautiously optimistic, the feeling is almost euphoric. Allow yourself to get some rest so that you can set fresh eyes on you beautiful mare in the morning. You have done amazingly, well done.

High Hope

Visit site
I know exactly what you've just been through although my horse had a different injury and I endured his recovery for over 6 months, but it was equally unusual. When the massive weight of stress and worry lifts off your shoulders and you allow yourself to be cautiously optimistic, the feeling is almost euphoric. Allow yourself to get some rest so that you can set fresh eyes on you beautiful mare in the morning. You have done amazingly, well done.

This made me cry. Thank you for your kind words.

Patchworkpony

Visit site
Just a thought - could it be a blood clot on the brain from the head injury? Fitting is a often a symptom in humans when they have hit their head. Could she be scanned?

Mariposa

Visit site
Just catching up on this - so pleased things have taken a tentative turn for the good :) Sending good vibes to you and your mare x

amage

Visit site
Thinking of you and your lovely mare. I too know only too well the euphoric feeling of turning a corner and the amazing sleep that you get when the dread lifts. My 19year old spend a week colicking horribly last October....surgery was not an option and every time I thought we were at the end something made me keep going. The 5th day he rallied and made sure we knew he was still fighting. By day 10 of recovery I needed a bridle to hand walk him. We had another milder bout in early December and he is now fighting fit, looks better than ever, placed 6th at a dressage show last Sunday and tried to buck me off today. I guess what I'm trying to say is even when it's seems there is no hope they can surprise you. I was ready to call it a day and my lad fought. Thinking of you and hoping the morning brings more improvement

alainax

Visit site
I have been frantically skipping through this thread to find out how she is doing! So glad there has been an improvment. OP - please make sure you are eating, drinking and sleeping!

PollyP99

Visit site
Oh soooo glad the news is good, having also gone through a nasty injury recently I know it's the prolonged holding of breath that drains, so take the time to breath , to eat , to sleep you will need your strength. Xxx

High Hope

Visit site
This morning she's back to feeling awful. Not eaten or drank for hours, but the vet is coming back this morning.
I think I'm going to ask him for morphine this time, to hell with the side effects- she needs it.
Will keep you all posted once the vet has been again :)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
This morning she's back to feeling awful. Not eaten or drank for hours, but the vet is coming back this morning.
I think I'm going to ask him for morphine this time, to hell with the side effects- she needs it.
Will keep you all posted once the vet has been again :)

oh no sorry it might be because the drugs have worn off through the night still keeping fingers crossed let us know how it goes after the vet has been x

Bryndu

Visit site
Don't panic too much.....if she had a nasty bang to the head..trust me...it is gonna hurt....
I would ask the vet about is hydration if she is not drinking?

Best of luck ..

Bryndu

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm sorry you've had a setback. I would definitely ask the vet about morphine, there comes a stage when the disadvantages are outweighed by the prospective change in outcome.

The ups and downs of an episode like this are so wearing for us horse owners, do try to take care of yourself as well as your horse.

Last edited:

Regandal

Visit site
Not much good whilst she's being given heavyweight drugs by the vet, but boswellia has been shown to reduce cerebral oedema. It's the active ingredient in pegasus naturebute. Also a good painkiller. Just another option. X

Alec Swan

Visit site
……..
I would ask the vet about is hydration if she is not drinking?

……..

An excellent point. With ruminants we use Electrolytes and I generally include huge levels of sugar, are they as effective with equines? Dehydration can be debilitating, in the extreme.

Don't be surprised if your vet refuses to administer morphine, it's the most invasive drug known to man, I suspect!

What's heartening from your previous posts is that your mare seems to react well to pain killers, and so she improves, albeit temporarily. Were there brain or neurological damage, then I doubt that she would. Horses have the lowest pain-threshold known to man (apart from man, obviously!), and it could be a simple case that she has a period to go through and that she's in a tunnel. All tunnels come to an end. DON'T give up, just yet.

Thoughts, prayers, best-wishes and vibes, by the barrow full.

Alec. x

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
I'm sorry that she's had a setback. Perhaps the painkillers have worn off, and so she's feeling 'it' again? I know nothing about head injures in horses (or any other animal come to that!), however, would a head CT not be a sensible option, seeing as she hit her head? - If she can be moved of course.

Keeping everything crossed again, for better news. x