Horse turning nasty.

pip6

Visit site
Given you have said he's not backed I would take it judge caught him & used reins/bit strongly to try & control him. Can you really justify yelling at the judge for taking control when you had allowed your horse to become out of control & a danger to others? Why on this planet did you take him to a public place shuch as a show when he shows this level of aggression? Sorry to sound harsh, but if I'd taken one of my youngsters to the show & been in the ring with this horse running riot I would have been absolutely livid at you given you know he has behavioural issues. Sort them at home without endangering others. You're hurt, virtually self-inflicted you knew the risks with this guy, how would you be doing right now if he'd kicked one of the people who tried to catch him in the head & killed them?

Please involve your vet & rule out all physical problems. I have known a nasty horse, to my knowledge not mistreated (knew home where he came from, local huntsman who said he terrified him but would jump anything, bought to jump). He was left in field as so dangerous, even macho man down stables tried to take him on loan & after few weeks refused to go near him. I only felt safe when with my old mare, if he came over (part of problem was his unpredictability) she would try to kill him (always thought she could sense I didn't want him near). Ended up PTS for safety reasons. You bought a horse by stallion known to be aggressive, sounds like mistake IMHO. We would never use stallion who wasn't well mannered & nice guy. No good having a world-beater if temperament makes them useless.

Have you noticed at livery yards it is the people who are scared of horses or feeling out of control in a situation that are the most aggressive? Not for one moment suggesting this is you, but maybe it is him. Totally agree about turnout. Our eventing & endurance babies live out 24/7 & grow up on grass, no molasses (such as on molichaf), no corn etc. Handled everyday, usually just fuss over, feet lifting practice etc but pleasent for them. Never hand fed any treats, whips never used. Also turned out with old dominant mare who really teaches them manners & appropriate behaviour.

Last edited:

Persephone

Visit site
Hang on I'm abit confused! The horse isn't broken, so what was the judge doing jabbing him in the mouth? How/why did that happen?

Have to agree with the others, mightily silly to take a horse to a show when you know how badly he behaves.

I have a 17hh 3 y/o filly who liked to think she was no1. It has taken almost a year of groundwork to get to a stage where I can confidently leave her being held by someone else but me. It has been constant, consistent work, and I have never laid a finger on her in anger or otherwise. She hurt me, really hurt me a few times, but what we have now is fab, and I am proud of her and me! I STILL would think long and hard about taking her into a show environment, because IF somebody else got hurt, I would never forgive myself.

Last edited:

Ladyinred

Visit site
Hang on I'm abit confused! The horse isn't broken, so what was the judge doing jabbing him in the mouth? How/why did that happen?

Have to agree with the others, mightily silly to take a horse to a show when you know how badly he behaves.

I have a 17hh 3 y/o filly who liked to think she was no1. It has taken almost a year of groundwork to get to a stage where I can confidently leave her being held by someone else but me. It has been constant, consistent work, and I have never laid a finger on her in anger or otherwise. She hurt me, really hurt me a few times, but what we have now is fab, and I am proud of her and me! I STILL would think long and hard about taking her into a show environment, because IF somebody else got hurt, I would never forgive myself.

I am starting to suspect that jhowards sense of humour has motivated this thread and it is all a wind up, especially in light of the recent troll thread!

JingleTingle

Visit site
I find it hard to believe this could be a deliberate wind up thread. If it is or isn't my response is the same.

OP you do not sound as though you have the temperament or patience to help this horse, knowledge and experience has very little to do with it when you are dealing with such a troubled horse. But attitude and consistent patient handling has...but from your posts I fear you do not have this type of of personality.

Not really a criticism, just an observation from how you paint a picture of yourself. We are all very different in how we interact with horses, and maybe he will not thrive with you because you will never have the necessary temperament to bond and gain the respect of this particular horse?

If this is posted as a wind up then I feel it actually paints a picture of a very strange person indeed to find this topic even mildly amusing?

PandorasJar

Visit site
I am starting to suspect that jhowards sense of humour has motivated this thread and it is all a wind up, especially in light of the recent troll thread!

I'm inclined to say not from previous threads about the same(I assume) horse.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=491269

I'm stepping straight back out the thread as am not going to begin commenting on how wrongly this has been gone about.

If it is a wind up it's not amusing in the slightest. If it's not I feel truly sorry for the horse

Pan

Ladyinred

Visit site
I'm inclined to say not from previous threads about the same(I assume) horse.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=491269

I'm stepping straight back out the thread as am not going to begin commenting on how wrongly this has been gone about.

If it is a wind up it's not amusing in the slightest. If it's not I feel truly sorry for the horse

Pan

Thanks for the link. Just read it and, like you, am now backing off. Poor horse.

Queenbee

Visit site
From what I know its not a wind up, JH has indeed damaged her hand as is having an operation on it, its on her facebook. JH, I have no real words of advice on this one. I do think that it was foolish to take him out showing with his current issues :( but I would turn him away and be looking to the vet for investigations into this, and also getting someone in, or sending him to someone who can perhaps unravel his brain and behaviour if this is behavioural. I worry that with this one you are out of your depth hun and wouldn't want you, your horse or anyone else to get hurt further.xx

Always Henesy

Visit site
From what I know its not a wind up, JH has indeed damaged her hand as is having an operation on it, its on her facebook. JH, I have no real words of advice on this one. I do think that it was foolish to take him out showing with his current issues :( but I would turn him away and be looking to the vet for investigations into this, and also getting someone in, or sending him to someone who can perhaps unravel his brain and behaviour if this is behavioural. I worry that with this one you are out of your depth hun and wouldn't want you, your horse or anyone else to get hurt further.xx

This ^^^
Definitely no wind up. JH is currently having an op to mend a pretty badly messed up finger.
As above hun xx

Queenbee

Visit site
On a further note JH, I missed the previous post (re backing him) and I would (although not clinically trained to diagnose:rolleyes:) agree it is probably not pain, I think that he is taking the pee. It would seem to me that you have stated a lot that he is not a horse that deals well with pressure, I think he has picked up from you that you do not trust him, and that you won't push him, and he has developed this behaviour as a result. I understand that he didn't come to you in the best of states, and I know what its like to treat a horse according to its past... god, the way I tip toed around ebony, because she'd never experienced x or y, or because she was of a delicate nature and couldn't handle this or that, the ways I backed down, wholeheartedly believing that it was in her interest. Bottom line was that it wasn't, and as soon as I gave her no excuse and took no pratting around, she improved in her behaviour and her general demeanour 100 fold.

In the other thread Monty Roberts demos, are mentioned, something that you say you strongly considered, but worry because A) he doesn't react well to pressure and B) He only seems to trust you. I personally would take a punt and say for that very reason a MR/approach is exactly what he needs to ground him. It would seem to me that if this is all attitude and behaviour, the best thing for him is that he has to deal with pressure, he has to learn to take it and that there is no getting out of it with attitude, that the only way he will get away from pressure is from behaving. He also needs to learn that this doesn't just apply to one handler... he is required to respect and behave well for any human, and he needs to learn these two facts of life before anything else.

I get what you are saying, he needs you, you are the only one that he trusts, I had the same with ebony, one day I bit the bullet (for a loading issue) and someone else had her loading within minutes, after that day she was never ever a problem to load (and I could leave her a yr inbetween loads) Its hard to say someone else would be better placed to fix my horse for me but in that case it was true, and in your case I believe it is too. If someone else can come in as a stranger, put pressure on your horse, and elcit respectful behaviour, then you have fixed your 2 main problems. Your horse needs to lose a battle, he needs to feel pressure, and give in to it, learn not to challenge it - because it won't get him anywhere, and he needs someone else to do this, to learn that he can trust others.

From what Ive read and what I know of you, I truly believe that this will be the making of your horse and your partnership, its the right thing to do for you both.

All the best and hope you are hurting less now xx

Last edited:

cronkmooar

Visit site
I have to say I was more than a bit surprised that anyone - in particular an experienced person - would consider it to be a good idea to bring this horse to a show.

If you don't care about your safety - what about others on the showground?

I didn't think that I could read anything more stupid, and then I opened the other thread - 6 year old child on him, justified by she had a hat on, her mother was holding her and he knew the child - seriously?

If this thread had been posted by a user that was not a regular the pack would have been out and after blood - surprising how different it is when its a forum regular.

redriverrock

Visit site
Is this for real? Have read the thread but it just seems so bizarre...surely no one can be that daft. Makes me so cross to see numpties ruining young horses, who is going to sort the poor thing out when you have had enough which I really hope is sooner rather than later. Thats all Im going to say...am now running for cover

Queenbee

Visit site
Is this for real? Have read the thread but it just seems so bizarre...surely no one can be that daft. Makes me so cross to see numpties ruining young horses, who is going to sort the poor thing out when you have had enough which I really hope is sooner rather than later. Thats all Im going to say...am now running for cover

RRR, JH has successfully broken in a number of horses prior to this one, just because someone struggles with one horse, and arguably makes a few errors of judgement, does not mean that such an insulting post is called for. Would it not be prudent to not post at all if you are unable to draw on your own experience and offer some constructive words of advice?

Ibblebibble

Visit site
I have to say I was more than a bit surprised that anyone - in particular an experienced person - would consider it to be a good idea to bring this horse to a show.

If you don't care about your safety - what about others on the showground?

I didn't think that I could read anything more stupid, and then I opened the other thread - 6 year old child on him, justified by she had a hat on, her mother was holding her and he knew the child - seriously?

If this thread had been posted by a user that was not a regular the pack would have been out and after blood - surprising how different it is when its a forum regular.

absolutely cronkmooar, while i feel very sorry that JH has a smashed up hand i think it's actually lucky it wasn't worse. :(

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
I feel very sorry for JH, and they have always offered me advice, but what I will say is just because someone has successfully broken in horses and years of experience, doesn't mean they always get it right, taking the youngster to a show with aggression issues beggars belief, what if a little child had been killed/person/dog anything.... good job it was JH and not an innocent party!

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
I read a lot of the posts but I missed sticking a 6yo child on one. I really don't give a hoot how much experience you have, this is very wrong. It might give you comfort to see him in this light and say to yourself, see he's not that bad. The only thing predictable about this horse is his unpredictability.

Part of being a good horseperson is knowing when you need help or that you need to send away for a bit. I've broken hundreds of horses, bred my own and raised youngsters. Maybe started as pain but now it's more of him just doing what the heck he wants any time he wants. I will also ad, if you need to treat nasty wounds on a horse daily, either pay for that vet to tranq everyday or learn to give tranq shots. No point in being a hero and it's not pleasant for you or horse. I had to do this with a hind leg injury on one of mine. I really don't care of the legalities. Saved my horse discomfort and me and him were safe.

I have no real advice because I don't know exactly what's going on. You do need to face reality. If you want this horse right you may need to move and seek professional help. Young horses sometimes aren't suited to the rigors of a livery yard. He probably needed more of being a horse at times instead of being fussed over as your partner for life. I do not think your horse was abused previous. Stop making excuses. You need to make some decisions based on the horse and not yourself. What's best for him? FWIW, I'm not suggesting PTS. This horse needs a new environment and someone with more experience. And then you will have to learn that at all times he is to be taken serious. A riding partner for life does not always mean a Hollywood film huggy horse saves my life. It's not always the magic bond people seem intent on having. It's routine, working, and giving that horse his time outside being a horse. Consistency and preserverance.

Terri

Tinypony

Visit site
I hope the operation on JH's hand goes well and she makes a rapid recovery.
Can I pick up on something from the other thread?
"the other day when we had the bad weather i went to get him in and couldnt even get a head collar on him, kept on and managed. brough him in and he had a full on paddy throwing himself on the floor in the stable, he was not rolling it was more, omg im cold, omg wet, omg im hungry, horrific to watch, one of the liveries said am i going to do anything, i said no im watching he doesnt get stuck but let him do it he has to learn not to be brat!"
That's really worrying. Horses don't throw themselves on the floor to be "naughty", there's something going badly wrong here. I would suggest that it's not a situation where you should dismiss it as the horse being a "brat". I understand that JH has broken other horses in the past (not my choice of word), but maybe this one is a bit different and needs a different approach. Maybe others could recommend a good trainer when she comes back? Someone who has some grasp of equine behaviour would be good. Meanwhile, turn him out.

Mithras

Visit site
Poor horse.

What on earth is all this stuff about leaning against him, sitting beside him when he is sleeping, etc? Forget all of that nonsense and treat him like a typical young, slightly unrepredicatable horse. Stop the shouting, whacking, etc and be more consistent. Tie him up or move him outside when in the stable - he is clearly showing territorial behaviour, probably exacerbated because he is inside too much.

Lead him in a bridle, sedate him when treating injuries, give him proper turnout and companionship, don't take him to shows yet and hopefully sell him on to someone who is more suited to him. All of this stuff is very basic but you seem to be doing something else, and hence having problems as a result.

Some horses are more tolerant than others. Some respond to praise and when cornered in a stable and unable to get away, react to aggression with aggression back. This boy probably responds to gentle treatment and praise more than shouting and aggression. He sounds insecure, worried and defensive.

Some people just do not gel with certain types of horses. This might not be the horse for you.

Moomin1

Visit site
I have to say I was being as diplomatic as I could and biting my tongue earlier. But I can't hold it in any longer!

OP, by the sounds of your handling of this poor horse - ie whipping at the sign of any 'misbehaviour' and throwing whips etc at him, I can only suggest that your poor handling has resulted in his behaviour. You do come across as the sort of loud and brash type shouty handler who tends to think the first port of call is to punish, punish, punish. I also don't quite get (and forgive me if I have read this wrongly), your logic of 'going to get a treat' when he needed praise, So you actually walked off to get a treat to then give to him when you returned as a praise for something positive he did? If so then that beggars belief - do you not realise that the praise should come immediately, not five or ten minutes later?!! He won't have associated that treat with anything.

As for taking him to a show, utterly negligent, poor horsemanship, poor judgement, and to be quite frank you sound like one of those nightmare people at a show who causes disruption and moans at the judge when it doesn't go your way. How can you possibly have a go at the judge for 'jabbing him in the mouth' when you yourself seem to spend your days whipping, smacking and throwing whips at this horse? :confused:

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
Moomim, I agree to a point. I don't think anything has done by feel and timing. More niggled at with punishment than a clear and definite, this is not acceptable ever. Does not mean beating, could mean a smack, could mean a growl.

A show is a disaster in the making. Horse needs a professional now.

Terri

0310Star

Visit site
Poor horse.

What on earth is all this stuff about leaning against him, sitting beside him when he is sleeping, etc? Forget all of that nonsense and treat him like a typical young, slightly unrepredicatable horse. Stop the shouting, whacking, etc and be more consistent. Tie him up or move him outside when in the stable - he is clearly showing territorial behaviour, probably exacerbated because he is inside too much.

Lead him in a bridle, sedate him when treating injuries, give him proper turnout and companionship, don't take him to shows yet and hopefully sell him on to someone who is more suited to him. All of this stuff is very basic but you seem to be doing something else, and hence having problems as a result.

Some horses are more tolerant than others. Some respond to praise and when cornered in a stable and unable to get away, react to aggression with aggression back. This boy probably responds to gentle treatment and praise more than shouting and aggression. He sounds insecure, worried and defensive.

Some people just do not gel with certain types of horses. This might not be the horse for you.

^^^^^ this.

I am no expert, but I would say 100% this horse is not getting enough turnout. I have a 14yo TB mare, who doesn't have a bad bone in her. If she was in as much as your lad she would probably be acting about the same! Being in all the time doesn't suit some/a lot of horses and the more he is out being a horse in a herd, no doubt the happier he will be and the more chilled he will be to start to basics with him again.
Good luck!

Ladyinred

Visit site
^^^^^ this.

I am no expert, but I would say 100% this horse is not getting enough turnout. I have a 14yo TB mare, who doesn't have a bad bone in her. If she was in as much as your lad she would probably be acting about the same! Being in all the time doesn't suit some/a lot of horses and the more he is out being a horse in a herd, no doubt the happier he will be and the more chilled he will be to start to basics with him again.
Good luck!

I hope the operation on JH's hand goes well and she makes a rapid recovery.
Can I pick up on something from the other thread?
"the other day when we had the bad weather i went to get him in and couldnt even get a head collar on him, kept on and managed. brough him in and he had a full on paddy throwing himself on the floor in the stable, he was not rolling it was more, omg im cold, omg wet, omg im hungry, horrific to watch, one of the liveries said am i going to do anything, i said no im watching he doesnt get stuck but let him do it he has to learn not to be brat!"
That's really worrying. Horses don't throw themselves on the floor to be "naughty", there's something going badly wrong here. I would suggest that it's not a situation where you should dismiss it as the horse being a "brat". I understand that JH has broken other horses in the past (not my choice of word), but maybe this one is a bit different and needs a different approach. Maybe others could recommend a good trainer when she comes back? Someone who has some grasp of equine behaviour would be good. Meanwhile, turn him out.

Agree with both the above. Very worrying behaviour from any horse and an even more worrying interpretation of it. Horses don't 'do' brat. They don't throw themselves on the ground with out very good reason. It's hardwired into them that the ground can be a dangerous place.

Turn the poor creature out while he is young enough to (hopefully) forget most of this and forget about shows etc. Let him be a horse with other horses.

And for goodness sake get some help from someone who actually knows what they are doing.

Traveller59

Visit site
OMG ... What a disaster. I feel so sorry for this horse

I think as has been said by other posters this poor horse is associating you with pain.... not just once or twice... but again and again.

I think you need to break the cycle of this association and let him be a horse again, turn him out/away and go back to basics. A small feed and a groom, and give him the time and patience he deserves.

I'm sure you have had other successes with your method, but this horse is damaged and perhaps needs a fresh approach.

p.s.
Throw that stick away!

irishdraft

Visit site
JH I feel I must agree with previous posters, it dosent, on what you have posted sound like your young horse is getting enough down time in the field, grazing, chilling and mixing with others. There is no way I would only have a horse out for an hour a day, specially one that wasnt even getting proper work. Sorry if that was only when weather was bad, so many posts cannot remember them all now, even so good or bad weather it isnt enough. I have known two "nasty" horses in my 40 years, one was foot pain related, farrier cutting the feet back so much horse was lame every time it was shod, dont ask, this was along time ago now when i worked on a big livery yard. The other was a very big young horse that was bred by someone not particularly knowlegeable but he did send it to Richard Maxwell to be broken etc but it was always a nightmare to handle, rearing, kicking, biting when ridden it would buck, dump people left right and centre, in the end he sold it to a very large man and hey presto it was a happy ending. The change of enviroment, he was kept on the big livery yard I worked at, then went to private home and a much bigger more confident person handling him all the time made all the difference. Im not saying you are not confident as obviously i dont know you but sometimes change of person/enviroment can make all the difference. I hope you get it sorted.

Briony&Anakin

Visit site
I don't really have time to read all the posts, sorry, but what I will say is turnout could well be a real issue. I have a 4 year old who is absolutely good as gold (can be very cheeky of course!) But never nasty. He has always had good turnout but one time we were moving yards but coudlnt move to his new yard for 3 weeks, odd situation but ended up at another stable for the 3 weeks, left with no other choice as we had to leave the other yard. Anyhow, it was a competition yard and all fields were shut for the winter, the horses only came out of their stables to be skipped out and that was that. My beautiful calm boy turned into the devil himself in a matter of days, kicking, biting, it was so distressing. Luckily we were able to move to our new place faster than anticipated and he was straight back to normal within a few days of being back to living out. It just goes to show though what being cooped up can do to a youngster.

charlie76

Visit site
Not read all replies so sorry if not relevant but I would back him, get him in work, give him some thing to think about and get him. Under the thumb.

Tormenta

Visit site
Since you are not sure of where his issues exactly stem from then I would start using some of the ideas that posters here have given you. Keep a diary of his behaviour and any changes. For example, turnout, less pressure on him from handling etc, vet check up to eliminate any medical issues, a return to basics, praise and reward in his daily routine etc. and also note any improvements/setbacks or reactions from him.

I would say that many times with abused animals there are often triggers to a horse's reaction, i.e. an arm held high, someone swinging a bucket, touching ears or another body part, shouting, fear of an enclosed space etc so if you DO think he has had abuse or rough handling in his formative young life then these triggers need to be addressed, recognised and rectified. They may never be completely forgotten but you can get a useful, rewarding animal when the triggers are recognised.

You need to find the basis of his behaviour and reactions and deal with them appropriately, even if it means bringing someone else in as a behaviourist to help. Good luck.

PercyMum

Visit site
I do feel very sorry for the OP, but I agree with what many have said - it doesn't sound like the horse and her are right for each other. I bought what sounds like a very similar horse (in fact I did a double-take at the pics as they are almost identical).

This horse had NEVER had any unfortunate experiences. He would also throw himself on the floor if told 'No'. His favourite party piece was to rear up and try and kick you in the face. Not nice at 17.3hh and only 5!! NH lady believed that he was a pet homebred who was never shown the rules and I had to deal with the fallout. Only I chose not to. I am not the most patient person in the world and I do have a quick temper. I am also mature enough to admit this and sold the horse on for a notional sum and FULL disclosure of all his issues to a lovely lady in Wales who (quite literally) ignores all his crappy behavior, whereas I used to try and correct it. Because she doesnt react to his shenanigans, it doesn't allow him to be a brat. He is now doing very well so all well that ends well.

My point is is that there is alot of excellent advice on here but I am not sue that the OP is the person to implement it. And that isnt a shameful thing to admit - we can't be all things to all horses. Even Mary King gave up with a horse that didn't suit her and her him!