If you found out your yard was sedating your horse..

paulineh

Visit site
Taking bloods is not Slander. Many blood tests are done at a 5* vetting GW is just checking her horse. She can tell the vets that she feels the horse is not right and so requests bloods taken. If any evidence of sedation is found then further action can be taken.

Keep things low key , you are moving and you do not need to give a Reason but if the YO /YM wants to know then tell them the truth. You are in the right.

Honey08 - recording a conversation and not tell some one is not illegal what do you thing the police and Government do all the time. It would only be there are a back up. I have done it before.

Last edited:

dogatemysalad

Visit site
My horse is one of those that reacts explosively to Sedalin. It would be dangerous to give it to her. A sedated horse that is turned out needs observing and if there is hay in the field, there's the possibility of choke.
Putting a flight animal in a field, particularly in a herd, reduces its ability to make decisions correctly. There are times when the benefit outweighs the risk but to do this on a regular basis is foolish in the extreme.

The woman needs to change her management and provide sufficient turnout so that horses don't require drugging.

Are the other owners concerned about drugging and over stabling ?

NaeNae87

Visit site
Taking bloods is not Slander. Many blood tests are done at a 5* vetting GW is just checking her horse. She can tell the vets that she feels the horse is not right and so requests bloods taken. If any evidence of sedation is found then further action can be taken.

Never said taking bloods was slander, I said if you are going down the legal route, be careful what you say on social media and don't name and shame. There is nothing wrong with gathering evidence....

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would have had the Vet on the yard to do a blood test the moment I suspected what was going on.
Legally I am really not sure this will go anywhere but GW can get some advise .
I would move no question it's completely unacceptable .
It will costing a considerable sum so don't get that unless the YOer is using sedalin given by another owner to use for clipping or something like that.
It's just completely bizarre behaviour.

Bertieboy

Visit site
You said you found out by a text sent to you by mistake. did the text actually state to give your horse sedaline? was the drug and the horse named in the text? This is very important as ypu dont want to have jumped to the wrong conclusion.

TarrSteps

Visit site

Honey08 - recording a conversation and not tell some one is not illegal what do you thing the police and Government do all the time. It would only be there are a back up. I have done it before.

Just to clarify, it is. That's why when you phone customer service lines they tell you you are being recorded. Police etc cannot tap without just cause and a warrant. I'm sure people do do it, but that doesn't make it legal, nor does it make it useful if you pursue legal action.

I've not read past yesterday but, OP, have you asked for clarification? You're on your way out anyway, but I'd want to know what went on and why, if only to have the story straight.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Why? She knew what she had done, me discussing it with her wasn't going to change anything, in fact knowing her for a number of years before this instance, she'd just deny it in the face of all evidence. She was very arrogant, and one of those 'can't be told' types.

I was more concerned about getting the horse right again, and was in no way interested in a hoo-ha over it, as what was done was done.

ETA - we had finished using her as a trainer, and to be honest this was one of a number of things that I had disliked about the way the horse was treated, however having been in lock down (long boring story) I literally had no way of removing the horse from her care.

But to be honest, I never spoke to her again, period - not even to say hello to as I pass her at competitions.

And I tell people why.

So that people who do things like that know that owners are clued up,
observant and not okay with it. It also - although I understand it's not the case here - can prevent confusion and bad feeling if there is a genuine misunderstanding. And a warning if there's not.

But then I'm a believer in having these discussions. How can/will people sort themselves out otherwise? It's easy to say the other person knows but it's useful to let them know you know, so they think twice the next time

jessjc

Chaddleworth, Berkshire (Wantage/Newbury)
Visit site
To a lesser extent, I have previously had my horse stabled at a yard where they were a bit sedation happy. My horse is not fizzy or excitable and certainly does not need sedation. They asked me the first time, when he went out in the field for the first time and then I just kept noticing it on my bill after that.

I wouldn't recommend taking any legal action, as it's really not worth it in this case, as no harm came of it, but I would speak to them, tell others to be aware of this if they are thinking of stabling there, and move to a different yard. If the yard keeps secrets from you, then how do you know what other things they are keeping from you?

Good luck, sounds like a tricky situation.

tikino

Visit site
get vet out to blood test as proof that she has done this and start legal action as this is both illegal and putting you and your horse at risk. what if you went up and rode not knowing your horse hard been sedated and tripped and fell on you

cambrica

Visit site
Utterly jaw dropping that anyone would do this! I would have the bloods done, then think very long and hard about your next step, what I mean is don't do anything in anger - although easier said than done!

Research on the internet shows that Sedalin affects the horse for 1 - 4 hours but the affects may be felt upto 24 hours.
It can be traced in the blood for 72-120 hours but repeated dosage means it will be traceable for much longer.
It lowers the blood pressure and would also be dangerous to use with certain wormers.

Marydoll

Visit site
Just to clarify, it is. That's why when you phone customer service lines they tell you you are being recorded. Police etc cannot tap without just cause and a warrant. I'm sure people do do it, but that doesn't make it legal, nor does it make it useful if you pursue legal action.

I've not read past yesterday but, OP, have you asked for clarification? You're on your way out anyway, but I'd want to know what went on and why, if only to have the story straight.

I was under the impression its legal As long as one of the party being recorded is aware of it, thats how people have been exposed by reporters in the past " The Sheikh" being one of the more high profile ones

Annagain

Visit site
I agree GW needs to get blood tests - not so much for taking legal action herself (as others have pointed out, no harm has actually been done) but to protect herself if they decide to take legal action. It might sound daft, but picture this:
GW moves her 4 horses with no notice and (quite rightly) refuses to pay a (fairly hefty, I'd have thought with 4 on full livery) notice period and then tells anybody who listens why. Yard, either through sheer cheek or in a bid to discredit her says she's lying and sues for monies owed and/or defamation. With the bloods she can prove who's telling the truth or - even better - if they know she has bloods, avoid that situation in the first place.

Glad you've managed to find them somewhere else GW even if it's inconvenient in the short term.

ETA: as an aside, my horse has to have ACP (Sedalin, although he has it intravenously) about twice a year to have the melanomas in his sheath inspected by the vet as it also acts as a muscle relaxant so means he drops everything out for the vet to see. The vet told me it doesn't act in the same way as other sedatives so he's ok to eat while under its influence.

Last edited:

fatpiggy

Visit site
It would have been interesting if I had been in the same situation as my horse had epilepsy and the drug at the top of the "not under any circumstances" list was ACP as it lowers the seizure threshold.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I have already paid a month in front, all being moved tomorrow - so will sigh with relief when the last ones are off the yard. Fortunalty the horse box is still full from the last move - as this was only on the 1st Dec. Yes one of mine was named in the text "wot we doin about xxxx 2 or 3 clicks of sed today? - and i have heard it called sed at the yard the day before. I left work got to yard and pony was zonked... was told he had been stuffing himself on the grass and it was a hot day- which was why. They only got to the yard on the 1st - so i am hoping that in the 13 days they have been there and to my knowledge 5/6 of these days they have not gone out - reasons been given were - worming - had to stay in for 3 days - waiting for the farrier all day and too late to turn out when he came - and physio was late - then today I was told that they have a day in once a fortnight - did not know this when i moved - else it would have been a no no.

Also the turn out i was shown they were having is nothing like the turn out they have - I have challenged this but they have said i must be mistaken.

Its a nightmare for all this to be happening - but thankfully i found out so soon.

As to what i will do - until mine are away from there i really really have not thought it through.
Fianlly thank you thank you thank you for all the kind offers for a place to go - I was so lucky i already had so many feelers out at other yards - but really wanted the 4 of them together - but i would rather have 4 on different yards in different counties than have them stood in or out and "drugged" up

Darremi

Visit site
The OP hasnt said shes after money, and i believe a moral victory and letting the horse world in that area know the disgusting behaviour that is going on in that yard, the behaviour of the yo and staff at the yard is disgraceful.

Then you better be prepared to pay big bucks for that "moral victory". You don't think litigation is cheap surely?!

Gazen

Visit site
Litigation is not that expensive as this can all go through the small claims court.
Claim for cost of bloods to be done
Claim for loss of money paid in advance for livery
Claim for cost of moving again
Claim for the cost of unused bedding / hay if they have to be left at the existing yard.

It is a nominal amount to lodge a claim. You do not need a solicitor. You need to write a letter to the YO outlining your grievances before a claim can be lodged. They must respond within the time limit specified in the letter and they should be warned that legal action may be taken against them. There is a process to be followed however it is not too onerous and the information is available online as to how to proceed.

mjcssjw2

Visit site
interestingly when I mentioned this threads to the vet I worked with the said it was a police matter! and also mentioned something to do with some drug law but can't remember which, they seemed to think it was pretty serious.

Marydoll

Visit site
Then you better be prepared to pay big bucks for that "moral victory". You don't think litigation is cheap surely?!

Actually if she makes the claim through small claims court she can do it herself and it isnt that expensive, so i dont know where youre getting big bucks from, people who do things like that yo rely on people not to do anything and thats why they get away with it

Marydoll

Visit site
interestingly when I mentioned this threads to the vet I worked with the said it was a police matter! and also mentioned something to do with some drug law but can't remember which, they seemed to think it was pretty serious.

It is pretty serious, the horse and rider were put at risk and as others have said if its happening to anyone who is competing the horse could/would could fail drug testing !

Darremi

Visit site
Litigation is not that expensive as this can all go through the small claims court.
Claim for cost of bloods to be done
Claim for loss of money paid in advance for livery
Claim for cost of moving again
Claim for the cost of unused bedding / hay if they have to be left at the existing yard.

It is a nominal amount to lodge a claim. You do not need a solicitor. You need to write a letter to the YO outlining your grievances before a claim can be lodged. They must respond within the time limit specified in the letter and they should be warned that legal action may be taken against them. There is a process to be followed however it is not too onerous and the information is available online as to how to proceed.

That may be so, but you still have to establish a legal claim in order to succeed. There may be evidential problems, difficulty establishing causation, breach of contract and loss.

And you have to be certain that you will actually be able to recover the money from the person in question.

cheeryplatypus

Visit site
Glad you got them out.

If you have had bloods done ask your vet if the yard should be reported to any authority, they should be able to advise on the unliscenced administration of drugs to animals without the owners consent.

Best wishes.