Introducing Toby

gunnergundog

Visit site
Toby looks to be worth his weight in gold!

Just wonder if it may be an idea to put some boots on him whilst he is still working out how to coordinate his legs at this new game? Not sure if it is just the angle but my heart was in my mouth when I saw, what seems to be, his off-fore scraping up the step in your first picture of the XC session. Rule number one: don't damage the merchandise! Especially when worth its weight in gold! :)

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Yes I did try some on but they rubbed him. They seemed to fit but grit got inside. He seems to have quite sensitive skin - since I've had him he has also developed a small raw patch where the girth goes. I've bought a nice anatomical girth and that has now healed but the choice of boots is bewildering. Any recommendations?

Mule

Visit site
Yes I did try some on but they rubbed him. They seemed to fit but grit got inside. He seems to have quite sensitive skin - since I've had him he has also developed a small raw patch where the girth goes. I've bought a nice anatomical girth and that has now healed but the choice of boots is bewildering. Any recommendations?
Would bandages be less abrasive? They would be a bit of a pita because I'd imagine you'd have to be very careful to tape them up so as to ensure they would stay in place for jumping. Perhaps you can get boots with soft material on the inside.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
The boots were lined with wool/faux wool but that seemed to absorb a load of gritty water and made a bit of a mess :(

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I've almost given up AE with boots, everything seemed to rub Skylla and she hasn't injured herself yet...

Though I do use Majyk boots for short XC sessions.

I did get some good suggestions actually on another thread, I'll go find it!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Wow, ok! Look nice! Front and hinds? As they specify hind or front would I get medium for both. In the past I have bought the same brushing boots for front and hind just a size larger for hinds. But as I say the choice is bewildering!

I'll have a read of that thread too.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Wow, ok! Look nice! Front and hinds? As they specify hind or front would I get medium for both. In the past I have bought the same brushing boots for front and hind just a size larger for hinds. But as I say the choice is bewildering!

I'll have a read of that thread too.

I just use front's on her to be honest, only thing I can say that might help is that PE hind boots are bonkers long! I have some that I bought for Topaz and have sat in my tackroom for about 8 years lol, I jumped her barelegged behind too...

edit as that was poor wording :oops:

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
That was an inteteresting thread. With some saying don't boot at all. So what are brushing or tendon boots even for?
Advantages are protection against banging into things and knocking himself obviously. But what are the downsides - assuming I can find ones that don't rub and keep legs cool enough?

Amber has the Trizones. And I really like them. They are light, breathable and never caused a problem. So maybe I'll just get him some of those in a different colour to avooid confusion!

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
FWIW I've been hacking and schooling in Arma Air Motion Brushing boots for quite awhile. My horse has sensitive skin and gets rubs so easily, and I thought these would get gritty, but they've been a success with him. Even through water. Fairly reasonable price too.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I'd try the trizones on him before buying, they rubbed my sensitive one. FWIW I would also be choosing to boot him for work like that if you can find some that work for him, be a bloody shame for him to pick up an annoying little injury where he's not established or balanced enough to look after himself neatly.

I boot all of mine for work, personal preference, and always booted for jumping too. Now I have one clumsy one who can get a graze from a dust particle and one who does a lot of sideways so I just go with the lightest I can get away with and taking care of the legs afterwards.

Afon_34

Visit site
That was an inteteresting thread. With some saying don't boot at all. So what are brushing or tendon boots even for?
Advantages are protection against banging into things and knocking himself obviously. But what are the downsides - assuming I can find ones that don't rub and keep legs cool enough?

Amber has the Trizones. And I really like them. They are light, breathable and never caused a problem. So maybe I'll just get him some of those in a different colour to avooid confusion!

My sensitive pink skinned one has trizones :)

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I'd try the trizones on him before buying, they rubbed my sensitive one. FWIW I would also be choosing to boot him for work like that if you can find some that work for him, be a bloody shame for him to pick up an annoying little injury where he's not established or balanced enough to look after himself neatly.

I boot all of mine for work, personal preference, and always booted for jumping too. Now I have one clumsy one who can get a graze from a dust particle and one who does a lot of sideways so I just go with the lightest I can get away with and taking care of the legs afterwards.

Do you boot up all round?

doodle

Visit site
He sounds perfect. Just what I would like to ride.

Robin is booted up all round in premier equine brushing boots day to day. I just would rather protect against a silly bump and his legs don’t get sweaty. He also has a set of their air cooled XC boots for XC. What I will say as someone else has is they are very long! Robin is 16.2 and in mediums although they could do with being 3mm wider. Till then I always used to use good old fashioned woof boots.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site

I think it is mainly rubs and over heating the tendons are generally considered the big downside of boots/ bandages, lots of new research of how badly heat can affect the tendons. Though I think the title of that thread attracted people who don’t boot maybe ??‍♀️.

Skylla (Or Topaz) isn’t really apt to knock herself in either sideways dressage work or the jumping fast work so I decided to put the perfect boot search on hold until I can get to tack shops with my tape measure ??.

Also both of mine are very hot horses, as in temperament and sweatiness! So keeping them cool is high on my priorities. The trizones are next on my list to try.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Trizones on order. Luckily my lovely friends got me a Hope Valley Saddlery voucher for my birthday. Toby has been a busy bee recently and I think he already looks like he is filling out a bit. He does get a couple of days off a week but otherwise I am keeping him busy. Ridden wise he is unrecognisable from the giraffe I bought who threw his head all over the place to avoid accepting the hand. I could see his blaze at times from on his back :eek:

I took some Time 2 video today. I wobble all over the place but he looks quite nice! Glimmers of real promise I think. Definitely more balanced than he was and he moves much more freely forward. The change in the month that I've had him is pretty significant so I am very pleased. He is also growing on me as a personality. He is a bit of a comedy horse. He drinks from the hose, he is playful and friendly, he works hard and never says no. If he continues to improve this quickly I might even get him out eventing by the end of the season.... :)

Roxylola

Visit site
First E-Rider stressage test attempt. Was going to do intro but his canter is better than his trot so went for prelim. There is so much room for improvement as there were lots of dodgy bits so I was delighted with 61.74%. I expected around 55!
I consistently mark myself a good 5 -10% less than we actually get so I'm always delighted with over 60%, well done Tobi ?

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I have lost my horse to my daughter. Izzy absolutely adores him. He mouths everything like an overgrown puppy. Photos are of him snuffling her ear as she tried to take selfies. She finds his goofiness cute . I find it annoying and try not to allow it! I'm forever saying oi gerrof when he snuffles me when I am picking out hooves, doing up rugs etc. He nibbled my farrier's pony tail during his shoeing. And then his beard when the farrier gave him a big fat kiss on his muzzle at the end. He is winning fans everywhere he goes. Farrier said give me horses like him any day.

Amber would NEVER lower herself to licking people's ears or snuffling them. She is far too cool for that!

But Toby is slowly melting my 'you're not Amber' defences.....

His ridden work is really coming on too

106720307_3145770075503052_3516500689700309974_o.jpg

106508261_3145769805503079_2857154986266848799_o.jpg

106644361_3145769855503074_4793070991416106095_o.jpg

106562113_3145769965503063_6029224080522399424_o.jpg

106564225_3145769915503068_7106103031586571327_o.jpg