Is there a breed of horse you really hate?!

Cedars

Visit site
However, I do struggle to understand why coloured cobs are so wildly popular - as another poster said, they look like cows:p

LOL you just reminded me of when I brought a small child to go meet my coloured cob yearling. He said "why is there a cow in with Dotty?" I said, "no, thats puzzle!" He said, "No, next to Dotty, thats a cow". Took me about half an hour to prove that, in fact, she is a horse! Hehe =]

Tinkerbee

Visit site
I don't "hate" any breeds. TBs though, not a fan at all. They all look the same ( :p ) and they're wussy, high maintenance and did I mention they look boring? All I ever see is bay TBs... no thanks!

Yes, gross generalisation I know, before anyone wades in with their multi coloured tb who lives out year round with no rugs/food.... ;)

SuperSketch

Visit site
Coloured cobs. I agree with the users that said that they remind them of cows. Nothing against cobs or their owners, I just personally wouldn't ever own one. I prefer horses that are finer, I always feel like a pea on a barrel when I ride a cob. I'm not a fan of hairy, untamed, high maintenance feathers on the legs either. Then a lot of people will probably dislike my taste in horses - Arabs, TB and Welsh crosses!

I don't like ISH a great deal either as all the ones I know seem to have some sort of behavioral/handling problem. There used to be one at my yard that reared every time she was tied up on the yard without another horse tied next to her. :rolleyes:

I also find Connemaras a little boring too. I know plenty of ones that are lovely to ride but they ALL seem to be grey which really isn't my colour of choice, unless its a steel grey or a really dark dappled grey, on a horse. Another generalization I know before anyone pops up with their Connemara that is an array of colours lol, just seems that every one I come across is grey!

Last edited:

V1NN

Visit site
Gosh i'm quite surprised at how many people so strongly dislike certain breeds :O

Perhaps its just from working in a busy dealer yard for so long previously, that i have just come to love and appreciate all horses of all different shapes, colours and sizes. I love the massive variety of horses.

Must add i do love a roman nose :D ooh and a wall eye, oh i just love them all!..x

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
one mans junk is another mans treasure etc etc.

i wouldnt go so far as to say i hate any horse, as already mentioned i would never own a friesian, and im not a fan of cobs of any form or pure draughts.

id also never own an arab, but i do adore watching them and love their fire and spirit and preeeeetty little heads!

i love the fact that my TB is narrow,sharp and quick and like riding a pogo stick on speed out hacking, but a lot of people would hate it. i cant imagine anything worse than ambling down the road on a super steady cob,but many people would love it.

no need for anyone to get uber serious, or rude!

Kokopelli

Visit site
I don't hate any breed as such but the one breed I cannot get on with is welshies, the sec A's and B's are fine as I can bully them but there so head strong and free willed we just have major personality clashes. However, I wouldn't rule out a welshie I would just be more carefl if buying one.

Stinkbomb

goldenoakmochachino.blogspot.com
I don't really like Icelandics or Miniature Horses but I don't hate them I just wouldn't buy one.

you mean to say you wouldnt want my little Inky in your field???? :)
...yes your right,you would probably send him back! :):)

I personally wouldnt buy a TB or any fine boned horse. Miniatures, mini shetties and Welsh for me!

baymareb

Visit site
I don't "hate" any breeds. TBs though, not a fan at all. They all look the same ( :p ) and they're wussy, high maintenance and did I mention they look boring? All I ever see is bay TBs... no thanks!

Yes, gross generalisation I know, before anyone wades in with their multi coloured tb who lives out year round with no rugs/food.... ;)

I guess I don't have to worry about you sneaking off with my bay TB, then! lol

abina

Visit site
Love Iberian, spanish and lusitano - dislike TB's everyone I have come across is a fruitcake ! saying that Love arabs - did endurance racing for many years on a chestnut gelding and wow what a fab friend to have for 100 miles !

Every breed is different and what I like someone else will hate - just means that there is a good home for all breeds and colours ! talking of colurs - spotted things not my bag at all ! Hides behind cushion !!

Nichole11

New User
Visit site
I don't hate any breed of horse. They are all wonderfull and have their own personalities (some good, some not so good).

I would not really be interested in the 'big chunky cob type' as they are just not for me. That saying they are probably very nice horses.

I like something a bit more refined, something with a brain, something that wants to be with me whenever i go into his field. Something that will try his best to please me whatever i ask of him and will trust and love me as i trust and love him. Something that will go out of the yard full of life and energy and come back after hours of wonderfull riding just as sparky as when he went out.... I am of course talking about my beloved Arab...!

dunthing

Visit site
There's good and bad in every breed. An awful lot of "don't like that breed" comes from being involved with badly handled, ridden or disciplined horses/ponies. I like all horses but I couldn't own another New Forest pony. We've had three of them and they have all been bolshy monsters. I know there are good ones, we just haven't had one of them. We have one TB, one coloured cob, one arab, one rescued exmoor and a highland. I would pick the highland out of all of them because he's mine and his manners are impeccable.

fitzaud2

Visit site
Isn't it amazing how we are all here, swaping idesa etc, but we all love different types. I love the real heavy cob types, and hunters and dont like tb's at all, but one of my best friends love tb's only. It's the difference of opinions that keep us original. God help most horses if we all liked the same.
My sister and I clash all the time, as her ideal horse would be my nightmare.

johara

New User
Visit site
Many people on here have used the term hate!!!

Hate is indeed a strong word. I personally love any breed that has qualities to that breed including it's outcrosses. We outcross to all sorts of horses to improve and in some way modify the way they perform. This has led to many types of the modern day horse.
Remember the Arab for example is in so many breeds and types of horse, TB's, welsh ponies, Hunters, cobs etc.
So remember if your preference is for the chunkier type then fine, that's up to you, as for the diddies in our world or the gentle giants. They can all be admired for what they are.
If it wasn't for peoples diverse taste, some breeds would simply fade away like the dodo.

Personally I am an Arab fan and love their beauty and intelligence. The way they move and their beautiful dished faces. So many people have referred to my horses as not being like the "Typical Arab". I ask them if they have ever owned one. The usual answer is "NO".

Stormy123456

Visit site
I dont dislike any breed, they are all built for different things. However in preference I would prefer a lighter built horse to a heavier one. Looks don't mean much to me, nor colour. It's all about if they're suitable for what you want.

Love my TBxCob (more TB) and ISH, and prefer riding them to the Welsh Sec D I have at the moment. Simple. :D

haras

Visit site
Personally I am an Arab fan and love their beauty and intelligence. The way they move and their beautiful dished faces. So many people have referred to my horses as not being like the "Typical Arab". I ask them if they have ever owned one. The usual answer is "NO".

So true! My arab is my world. I have never met a more intelligent, loving forgiving breed that will genuinly put their heart and sole into anything. However, I do believe that you need to actually own one before you find this out as they are one person orientated.

My personal dislikes (not hate) are throughbreds ... I had one that tried it's very best to kill me! and big hairy cobs (not the gypsy vanner type) more the roman nose type. For me they are just plain ugly, but I appreciate that many people love them.

And I've got to do it..... For all the non-arab fans! (this little mare had not long been backed aged 9, was unhandled until she was 8, stereotype????)

ChampanddinashowsApril2010026.jpg

dinaandwork048.jpg

LizzyandToddy

Visit site
I like all breeds really :)
But would probably never look to buy a chunkier type horse, like welsh's. Not sure why, my friend has a lovely welsh D, just not my thing I guess! Saying that though, I dislike arabs aswell :) Maybe I'm just really picky xD
And although this doesn't really apply to specific breeds, I don't like horses with roman noses. Not sure why either!

hunteress

Visit site
Hi all,

Was at a show yesterday and found myself being extremely bias about some horses because I really hate their breed - and I realised how completely bias I was! So do you have a breed you really dislike?

This is NOT A SLEIGHT ON OTHER PEOPLES HORSES! Just an observation. Discuss.

P.S. for me its Arabs - and I can't explain why! I love the big chunky cob type!

DITTO x

Pheme

Visit site
I don't hate any breed, but I wouldn't choose to own cobs, drafts or coloureds.
An Arab on the other hand, inspires me :) lightness, grace, spirit, I just love 'em! Helps that I do endurance, which none of the horses I less-like are particularly known for being good at though. Horses for courses!

heaven.sent

New User
Visit site
:( I think the word "HATE" is very emotive. What sort of person can be a supposed horselover and start up a thread on horses breeds and types they HATE! What a hippocrate. (sp!!).:mad: Time to give up lovey, and leave the rest of us to love our horses whatever their breed or type.:p

jenbleep

Visit site
Hmm any breed that I hate. I wouldn't say I hate any breed because all horses are beautiful :D but not really keen on Arabs, not sure why really but they look too petite and dainty! (I know I know they are very strong etc etc) My Mum loves them though!

Sparkles

Visit site
Hmmm....none I 'Hate' really tbh. Out of chice, I steer away from arab types and don't like the weedy TB types either. And appy's. And quarter horses.

Nathan-And-Hayke

Visit site
I don't hate any horse, but I do not really like fine horses, I like them to have plenty of bone.
When I was little I used to dream of riding arab type horses and their legs snapping, but to be fair, I have always been a little odd :eek:

zefragile

Visit site
Awww how can anybody hate Shetlands? They have so much attitude! :D I love a horse or pony with lots of character. There isn't a breed of horse I hate, but I'm not keen on masses of feather unless on a draft horse and Friesians aren't my cup of tea.

Enfys

Visit site
:( I think the word "HATE" is very emotive. What sort of person can be a supposed horselover and start up a thread on horses breeds and types they HATE! What a hippocrate. (sp!!).:mad: Time to give up lovey, and leave the rest of us to love our horses whatever their breed or type.:p

Yoiks:( Welcome to HHO HS.:)

Ah well, freedom of speech and opinion and all that.
No matter, hate is just a word.

I think that hate is such an over-used word that in everyday common usage it has been diluted, as has 'love'. I like my horses, very much, but I don't love them in the purest sense of the word.

I don't hate anything, or anyone, I may say it at times, but only because I can't think of a more suitable word at that moment.
Dislike yes, and maybe even loathe or detest occasionally but not full blown hate - it is a very tiring emotion to sustain and I'm way too lazy for that.

Last edited:

dreamcometrue

Visit site

Well said. I agree totally.

I guess there are people who just can't handle certain types of horse so they say they "hate" them to cover their inadequacies ;)