It happened again.

Annagain

Visit site
Just caught up on this. Sorry about the KS diagnosis but it needn't be the end of the world. Charlie was diagnosed with KS in Feb 22. He had his spine medicated. I was supposed to bring him back into work 2 weeks later but we had had our issues and I decided I really didn't want to get back on him. He went to rehab/sales livery. They worked him for 2 months before selling him with ful disclosure. He found a lovely home and has been doing brilliantly, placed in 4 of his 6 events this year. In proper work (we had got into a vicious circle of him bucking in the school so me not wanting to go in there and just hacking without really working him properly so his back was getting weaker and caused him more issues if we did go back into the school so more bucking etc) he's had no repeat of the issues or the bucking, if they ever do creep back in his new owner has all his records so can see if there's a deterioration and can make a plan of what to do next. There is hope, even without surgery.

J_sarahd

Visit site
IMG_8811.jpeg
Brought her home at 8am this morning (as soon as the vets opened!). She was quite stressed travelling home and in her stable but I’ve been told she’s settled now. She did whinny to me when she saw me which felt lovely.

She’s on 2 days box rest and 2 days field rest before I can start her rehab. My physio is seeing her on Friday so I’ll ask her for guidance on her rehab. I’m going to take it as slow as needs be - I have no rush at all. I’m a bit gutted that I’ve had to cancel two very exciting lessons but I know those people will still be there when she’s back up to that work (fingers crossed).

I’m just happy to have her home to be honest. Thank you for everyone’s messages. Some of them have made me emotional (in a good way) because I always doubt myself as a horse owner. I’ve read through everyone’s recommendations/advice and I’ll be taking it all on board.

I have her x-ray, if anyone’s interested.

Alwaysmoretoknow

Visit site
Firstly, you are a horse hero to advocate so strongly for your lovely mare, listen to her and then seek out the diagnosis she needed and be prepared to do all the right things for her.
Secondly, a friend of mine had an absolutely huge WB who went from being a lovely, generous ride to absolutely dangerous. Also diagnosed with KS and had one of the more 'drastic ' ops (15 years or so ago so expect things have been refined since). Went back to competing medium and doing some jumping for fun as well as lots of very 'jolly' hacking and had no further issues.
Hope and, expect with your dedication, you'll have a similarly successful outcome.

scats

Visit site
View attachment 128999
Brought her home at 8am this morning (as soon as the vets opened!). She was quite stressed travelling home and in her stable but I’ve been told she’s settled now. She did whinny to me when she saw me which felt lovely.

She’s on 2 days box rest and 2 days field rest before I can start her rehab. My physio is seeing her on Friday so I’ll ask her for guidance on her rehab. I’m going to take it as slow as needs be - I have no rush at all. I’m a bit gutted that I’ve had to cancel two very exciting lessons but I know those people will still be there when she’s back up to that work (fingers crossed).

I’m just happy to have her home to be honest. Thank you for everyone’s messages. Some of them have made me emotional (in a good way) because I always doubt myself as a horse owner. I’ve read through everyone’s recommendations/advice and I’ll be taking it all on board.

She’s got a beautiful face. Wishing you all the best for her rehab xx

Zoeypxo

Visit site
View attachment 128999

Glad shes home! Would love to see the x ray if you dont mind sharing

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
My understanding it that all the white bits are likely to represent active bone remodelling. She's got two processes at the back where the gap is completely closed and this is obviously a problem as they must be grating when she moves, but there are a number of other white spots that look as if they have touched, some strange shapes suggesting old remodeling, and strangely some white bits on the top which might reflect the use of race training saddles without sufficient clearance in the past, perhaps?

That's one hell of an x ray machine they've got, I think you've got the vertebrae showing there at the bottom. Only a couple of decades back it was difficult even to get the DSPs

Do you know which processes were medicated?

J_sarahd

Visit site
My understanding it that all the white bits are likely to represent active bone remodelling. She's got two processes at the back where the gap is completely closed and this is obviously a problem as they must be grating when she moves, but there are a number of other white spots that look as if they have touched, some strange shapes suggesting old remodeling, and strangely some white bits on the top which might reflect the use of race training saddles without sufficient clearance in the past, perhaps?

That's one hell of an x ray machine they've got, I think you've got the vertebrae showing there at the bottom. Only a couple of decades back it was difficult even to get the DSPs

Do you know which processes were medicated?
Wow thank you! Very interesting. I would never have known any of that. Poor girl!!

She had T14-T18 medicated.

Northern

Visit site
Here’s the x-ray.

View attachment 129004

It will be interesting to know what the more experienced HHOers think as I can obviously tell where the impingement is but can’t tell anything further than that.

My mares x-ray is very similar, she was diagnosed at 7 after a few changes in behaviour under saddle. I actually brought her in for suspected hind limb issues, where she nerve blocked bilaterally lame to her suspensories and the vet mentioned he thought she may have kissing spine (his face when I said I suspected the same thing 🤣) and x-rayed her to confirm. She was medicated in her suspensories and in the affected processes, but I saw little to no improvement. Suspensories were later scanned clear of PSD and her SI injected, which gave the most relief IMO. I still believe the KS does not cause her grief even now, rather that her poor posture and early start had boomerang effects to other areas of her body. I had another horse, so left her in the paddock for 2+ years as a companion before starting from scratch. I lacked the time for the intense and regular rehab she needed at the time, and she was comfortable in the paddock so I was happy to leave her be. She is excellent at long and low, always has been and loves in-hand lateral work. I incorporated lots of hacking in hand on uneven terrain and hills with light schooling in straight lines. She was lunged with a loose outside side rein to mimic my schooling, nothing more than that.

Having read your threads about this mare over the last year, her diagnosis doesn't surprise me. I understand how you feel, as I had a few weeks of WTF do I do now after our diagnosis. But take it as an opportunity to gain skills in how to school a horse to improve posture and strengthen core and back muscles. Everything I have learned from my mare I have applied to my subsequent horses and seen marked results with. I read the KS threads on HHO with interest as surgery is definitely not as common or recommended here in Australia than in GB. It did cross my mind to pursue that path, but in the end I decided that the horse in front of me would not benefit from such an invasive procedure. I know of someone who had her 16 year old gelding operated on, he is now retired just over 2 years post surgery. I think if you did decide this was the path for you, please make sure to check the other hotspot areas (hocks, PSD) before committing. There are some super resources out there and I wish you all the luck with her! She has a lovely face :)

J_sarahd

Visit site
Thank you. Yeah, looking back now, so many things she’s done - even very minor things - make sense. I’m glad we’ve got a diagnosis definitely and I’m feeling much more positive now after speaking to so many people on Facebook.

She is allowed out tomorrow morning and I’m so nervous. She hasn’t been out since Sunday, so I’m expecting fireworks. She is also out with another. I’m not too worried about her being difficult to turn out because I’ll just deal with that but am I completely overthinking it by being nervous about her hoolying around, slipping and hurting herself?

ETA: do people recommend massage pads/magnetic rugs/back on track rugs?

Last edited:

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Sorry I am rubbish at keeping up to date with this forum these days, blame a poorly husband, toddler and being 34 weeks pregnant! (Oh and pony decided to come down with cellulitis too and had to be on box rest.)

Feel free to PM me about my rehab with KS (and ulcers, hock arthritis and a TMJ injection!). It was a long old process but very glad I did it. Sbloom has given some good posts and I'd echo them, it's all about movement and my mare learnt a completely new way of going.

My main points would be...don't rush getting back on, lots of in hand walking with no gadgets although I do occasionally use one of those german rope things really loosely. But definitely nothing that goes round the hind. I also didn't really do any lunging, I did a bit in walk in huge circles again with no gadgets and tbh it was more so I could really get a good look at the way she was moving. When you do get back on get regular saddle checks because she will change shape. And slowly slowly when you get back on! Honestly my mare looked amazing from doing 50 mins of walk a day. Hills if you can find them. She also had regular physio, maybe every 4 weeks? I managed to claim for the physio through my insurance if you get the vet to mention it on your claim form.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Thank you. Yeah, looking back now, so many things she’s done - even very minor things - make sense. I’m glad we’ve got a diagnosis definitely and I’m feeling much more positive now after speaking to so many people on Facebook.

She is allowed out tomorrow morning and I’m so nervous. She hasn’t been out since Sunday, so I’m expecting fireworks. She is also out with another. I’m not too worried about her being difficult to turn out because I’ll just deal with that but am I completely overthinking it by being nervous about her hoolying around, slipping and hurting herself?

Sorry I've not managed to read the full thread, has she had the op or had it medicated? Mine had the op and the day after she came home and immediately rolled in her stable. Whilst I understand the chiselling aspect is harsh, the actual wound is teeny tiny and it didn't seem to bother her at all.

A lot of people I know that had the op have used massage pads. I personally didn't bother and got the same results but then my mare is super easy and chilled. For some it just gives them a bit of chill time before getting on/warms them up.

AandK

Visit site
It's good you have a diagnosis and so can move forward with a good plan. My exracer was diagnosed with KS summer 2022 after some unusual behaviour schooling, his x-rays aren't great but it turned out his actual issue was ulcers (grade 2&3 squamous). Since he had those treated (and his arthritic hock) he has been super to ride. He did have his back medicated (before we found the ulcers) and some mesotherapy. I have also been very mindful (more so than before!) of his posture, and how he is worked and I try to include an in-hand session once a week/fortnight, not using gadgets, to get him to stretch down, and do some work over poles. That has also really helped I think. Mine is proof of riding the horse, not the x-rays in so many cases (not just KS!).

J_sarahd

Visit site
Sorry I've not managed to read the full thread, has she had the op or had it medicated? Mine had the op and the day after she came home and immediately rolled in her stable. Whilst I understand the chiselling aspect is harsh, the actual wound is teeny tiny and it didn't seem to bother her at all.

A lot of people I know that had the op have used massage pads. I personally didn't bother and got the same results but then my mare is super easy and chilled. For some it just gives them a bit of chill time before getting on/warms them up.
She has been medicated but obviously the surgery may be an option further down the line depending on how she copes with just the steroids. Fingers crossed she doesn’t need it but never say never.

Thank you for your help - I will probably PM you. With her only being 4, I have absolutely no rush getting back on and would rather spend the time now getting her right than regret it later down the line if she breaks down in 3/5/10 years.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
She has been medicated but obviously the surgery may be an option further down the line depending on how she copes with just the steroids. Fingers crossed she doesn’t need it but never say never.

Thank you for your help - I will probably PM you. With her only being 4, I have absolutely no rush getting back on and would rather spend the time now getting her right than regret it later down the line if she breaks down in 3/5/10 years.
I know another 4 year old that had it (operated on) I don't know if we're just more aware of it/vets are better at diagnosing it or if it's something in the backing process/breeding. Breeding wise I know basically every breed/type under the sun that has had it, sport horses, connies (my traditional type but also my friends sportier one), welshies, fit 1* eventers, low level hackers. One thing in common though is not a single one had it in isolation, all had hock arthritis, stifle problems, suspensories etc. For my mare it was by medicating the hocks and freeing up her hind which highlighted the back problem. She had been bracing and compensating beforehand.

Definitely take it nice and steady. If I hadn't also had a human baby to juggle I would have actually really enjoyed the whole process. I loved doing more from the ground, spending ages analysing her movement, watching her change and relax.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk

If you see the medication as a chance to really nail the rehab, with her being pain free for a period, working on the posture, thoracic sling, rotation of the ribcage etc, then you'll lessen those chances of needing surgery with a bit of luck. I agree that it's seldom seen without complications (forgive me if I said that before) even if they're not visible now, that all breeds can get it, and that, from one perspective of someone I work with, a steep angle to the back of the wither can be an indicator of potential impingement under the saddle, no matter if the wither is high or low. This is NOT proven, but I can see from my work that there could turn out to be a correlation. That steep angle indicates a postural issue. It's just all part of the same patterns.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I'd get Dan Wain to come out or send her to him. I've worked with him and he is brilliant. Very soft and gentle, and has the most amazing eye. I didnt really have any issues, but saw a big improvement with my horse from having sessions with Dan then going away and doing my homework. Hes just one of those people that has a gift for this sort of thing.

J_sarahd

Visit site
We had our first physio session since the diagnosis and my physio is really optimistic that she will make a good and full recovery. She said she’s not lost any muscle, which is good. She also said that if she can work as well as she did during the summer with kissing spine, then she’s going to be so good when she’s pain-free, built back up and learns to use herself correctly/have a better posture. She gave me some things to work on to get her to release through her back, so I can start slowly working on those from tomorrow. I’m going to take it as slowly as I need to but my physio is optimistic that all being well it won’t be months and months until I’m back on but I’m going to be entirely dictated by Nova and listen fully to her.

I also watched a webinar with Simon Cocozza, so I am going to start adding in some exercises he suggests too. Again, very slowly and very correctly. I’m definitely not planning on lunging in a pessoa in walk, trot and canter in the next few days!!

I hope no one minds that I’m going to use this thread as a little bit of a diary of our rehab as it may be useful for others but it will be so useful for me to look back on.

McGrools

Visit site
We had our first physio session since the diagnosis and my physio is really optimistic that she will make a good and full recovery. She said she’s not lost any muscle, which is good. She also said that if she can work as well as she did during the summer with kissing spine, then she’s going to be so good when she’s pain-free, built back up and learns to use herself correctly/have a better posture. She gave me some things to work on to get her to release through her back, so I can start slowly working on those from tomorrow. I’m going to take it as slowly as I need to but my physio is optimistic that all being well it won’t be months and months until I’m back on but I’m going to be entirely dictated by Nova and listen fully to her.

I also watched a webinar with Simon Cocozza, so I am going to start adding in some exercises he suggests too. Again, very slowly and very correctly. I’m definitely not planning on lunging in a pessoa in walk, trot and canter in the next few days!!

I hope no one minds that I’m going to use this thread as a little bit of a diary of our rehab as it may be useful for others but it will be so useful for me to look back on.
All sounds very promising. I would be very optimistic in your shoes.
I have bought the Simon Cocozza book, for educational purposes. just had a brief flick through and it looks like turns on the forehand are a great exercise. I think all horses will benefit from a ‘yoga for the core ‘ approach. Xx

Pinkvboots

Visit site

Get some sedation and give her a bit for a few days a few mls twice a day can just keep them a bit more quiet, then give her a bit more on the day you turnout it's so cold they are all a bit fresh at the moment.

J_sarahd

Visit site
It’s been a week since our diagnosis and I’m feeling more positive but I definitely have moments when I’m overwhelmed and feel like I’m doing things wrong.

We have started our groundwork with very basic things such as getting her to use herself properly with small circles (putting that inside hind through rather than shuffling round) and dropping of her head. She seems much more willing to drop her head and walks around much more down and out than before, which is a positive. Going to introduce lunging and poles over the next week or so. I’m aiming to keep it really slow but I know if I just do groundwork for a few days a week for the next few weeks, she will get bored and probably have a bit of an explosion. But equally, so scared of doing something wrong. I am in contact with my physio who is guiding us.

I’ve also ditched the haynet in the stable. I should’ve done it months ago but I was worried about her wasting hay. My thinking is whats the point of trying to change her posture and get her nice and low, if I’m then going to ask her to spend over 12 hours with her head up in the air.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Great move with the haynet. To save waste you could use a haynet with holes just too small for her to put a foot through (40mm ones are good) , fasten the opening with a pram hook or 50mm carabiner, and chuck the net on the floor or hook it to an eye bolt at ground level. .

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Ooh good point about the haynet! I also ditched it for the same reasons as you. Could you hook a wooden cube to the wall and pop hay in there? Horse stays in a nice grazing position but maybe limits waste. I know a few who have done this. My mare is a fat greedy pig who would eat hay that has been dragged through a sewer so wastage has never been a problem for me.

J_sarahd

Visit site
There’s a hay box in the spare paddock that technically is mine but it’s very heavy so might be difficult to move in to her stable. I’ll see how much she wastes today - there was none wasted yesterday which is good! - and will come up with a solution

J_sarahd

Visit site
I need a bit of advice as I’m quite worried. I reintroduced poles to Nova yesterday - just a line of 4 walk poles on the ground. She was really good going over them but when it came to turning her around to go back over from the other side, she was shaking her head and striking out with a front leg. It wasn’t every time but it was enough to make me concerned.

She’s not done this during our other groundwork sessions. I’m not sure if it’s boredom, wanting to just get on with going over the poles or pain. She is working really well in her groundwork sessions - except for backing up, which she can do because I ask her to back up in the stable for her tea and she does it beautifully. So again, not sure if that’s stubbornness (she isn’t a particularly stubborn horse though to be honest) or confusing signals on my part.

I knew there’d be days/sessions like this! But it is scary when it happens