I've just killed a pony

Mahoganybay

Visit site
So sad, and no you have not 'killed' a pony, there has been an unfortunate accident and accidents happen all the time, it's just that most of us are very lucky!

Try to be kind to yourself, you did not let the pony suffer, you did what was right and swiftly, i do hope that you can come to terms with it and move on.

Take care

Countrychic

Visit site
It seems so unfair that so many people that couldn't give a stuff about their horses and tether them besides motorways in the depths of winter get away with it and you made a little error in judgement and have had such a harsh consequence.
Feel so bad for you and hope you can try and do something nice this weekend to distract you. X

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
So sad, and no you have not 'killed' a pony, there has been an unfortunate accident and accidents happen all the time, it's just that most of us are very lucky!

Try to be kind to yourself, you did not let the pony suffer, you did what was right and swiftly, i do hope that you can come to terms with it and move on.

Take care

Agree with this basically. A friend of mine knows of two separate situations which occurred within a week of each other, where owners went out into the field and noticed their horses were lying down, and looking, as they put it, "a bit funny". Both horses had somehow got down, and either in the lying down or the getting up, both had somehow broken a limb, and obviously had to be PTS.

Not much comfort I know :(, but with horses/animals, these things happen unfortunately.

But please do not blame yourself, OR take to heart any negative/downright nasty comments on here.

Moomin1

Visit site
OP please do not beat yourself up over this. A tragic accident which could have happened to any one of us (and does quite often, without the same consequences).

FWIW, I am one of the most 'over paranoid' people with my horse with respect tying up/leaving unattended, yet, when I remember an incident where I had her tacked up in the school, and forgot my hat (had put it at the side of the ménage). I momentarily let go of her and walked to the side of the school to pick up my hat, only to turn around and find her laying down flat on the floor with her leg through her martingale, shaking from top to bottom. Luckily, she was unharmed, but could have been a whole lot worse if she had panicked more.

These things happen, and we can only move on and try to get over them as best we can and not berate ourselves for them.

FionaM12

Visit site
To be honest I was at first taken aback by AmyAmy's comments but then I recall how this person is one who rrefers to her horses as "it" and has healthy horses 'despatched' (her words not mine). I always found that a bit bizarre but then understand how people in the business of horses may become less detached. However, if I recall this wad the same person who had a lovely looking big grey horse whom she was too scared to even canter. I find it hard to work out the type of person this poster is to be honest, seemingly callous on one hand yet quick to jump on others for their errors.

Are you talking about Amymay or the op here Ladyt25? Genuine question, I've been trying to work out your meaning.

OP I'm very sorry for your loss. :( Sadly accidents happen, you will never know why this one did, please don't blame yourself :(

tazzy69

Visit site
That's so sad. Poor little pony. Go easy on yourself. I think you are very brave to share with everyone what has happened and very much deserve the kind support you are being given. Big hugs to you xx

Goldenstar

Visit site
Awful, OP there by the grace of god go many of us nothing anyone will say will make you feel better ATM but have a virtual hug from me .

ladyt25

Visit site
Sorry Fionam12, I was talking about amymay. I am housesitting tonight so using my phone and it is just not as easy as when on a laptop!! Maybe it's my fat fingers :-D

meandmyself

Visit site
I have. I've not ended up having to have something destroyed because of it though.

Jesus, could you be any more of a bitch? I'm sure the OP feels badly enough without you posting this.

OP, I'm sorry. My vet says horses, sheep and chickens are all born trying to die. Plenty of people tie up long and leave them alone. Sounds like you and the pony were just unlucky.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Unfortunate accident, OP, these things happen. Sadly...

Fwiw, I didn't read amymay's post as quick so vile as you all seem to be - I interpreted it as a "lesson learnt, these things happen" type observation. But I could be wrong. Either way, using the thread as an excuse to throw insults at her is pretty low, in my opinion.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site

Fwiw, I didn't read amymay's post as quick so vile as you all seem to be - I interpreted it as a "lesson learnt, these things happen" type observation. But I could be wrong. Either way, using the thread as an excuse to throw insults at her is pretty low, in my opinion.

Well she seems to think that threads are the perfect place for putting people down, so maybe a bit of own medicine there. The subsequent comment made gives context to the first one IMO.

jellybean55

Visit site

^^this is how I read her comment. Very sad op but not your fault :(

sophiebailey

Visit site
Sorry for your loss OP. I shudder at all the times I've left my horse tied up on the yard/at a trailer while I've popped to the car/to the tack room etc etc. could happen to any of us really :( hope your nephew isn't too distraught! X

JFTDWS

Visit site
Well she seems to think that threads are the perfect place for putting people down, so maybe a bit of own medicine there. The subsequent comment made gives context to the first one IMO.

Well, for what it's worth, I've never seen amymay stoop to name calling like some posters on this thread. Forthright and sometimes expressing unpalatable opinions, yes, but name calling? Maybe I've just missed those posts, but I have never seen it.

As for the subsequent comment, I presumed that was in response to the vitriolic posts against her. But as I say, I could be wrong. Either way, tactless comment, but not the crime of the century.

Marydoll

Visit site

Have a read at her other comment on the subject then, it kinda does read as vile nasty and uncalled for especially when the op is obviously feeling upset and blaming herself.

LaurenBay

Visit site
I am quite disgusted by AmyMays comment, I normally look forward to her posts, but I am debating wether or not to report her for this comment.

I'm so sorry OP, you did not kill the Pony! Please take some comfort from that xx

JFTDWS

Visit site
Have a read at her other comment on the subject then, it kinda does read as vile nasty and uncalled for especially when the op is obviously feeling upset and blaming herself.

I thought that was more of a response to the poster who called her a cow, but the only one who knows how it was meant was AM herself. I just mean that it can be read in a less nasty light!

I am quite disgusted by AmyMays comment, I normally look forward to her posts, but I am debating wether or not to report her for this comment.

For what? It's not spam or advertising, and it's not a breach of the T&Cs - even if it isn't her finest post on here.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Well, for what it's worth, I've never seen amymay stoop to name calling like some posters on this thread. Forthright and sometimes expressing unpalatable opinions, yes, but name calling? Maybe I've just missed those posts, but I have never seen it.

As for the subsequent comment, I presumed that was in response to the vitriolic posts against her. But as I say, I could be wrong. Either way, tactless comment, but not the crime of the century.

Fair enough that's your take on things :) I'm forthright and blunt but there are times when you just stow it and be tactful or at least civil. Like yourself for instance, I very rarely see a post of yours that isn't fairly close to my thoughts (obviously tonight is is different lol :D) and yet I don't see it being as caustic as some other people's comments.

To me there is getting your point out there, and then there is getting your point to people with it being thought about and not dismissed as nastiness :)

JFTDWS

Visit site
I very rarely see a post of yours that isn't fairly close to my thoughts (obviously tonight is is different lol :D) and yet I don't see it being as caustic as some other people's comments.

I think a lot of posters on the forum would disagree with you there ;)

I agree with what you're saying, but I think that comments of prolific posters are interpreted in the context of previous interactions (and any forthright poster will have had a few negative interactions at some point!) and from the point of view of the reader, which may not be how the poster meant it. Of course, if I'm wrong, it is an extremely untactful comment for AM to have made. I don't think that warrants calling her names though.

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
Sorry for your loss OP.

FWIW I thought amymay's comment perhaps lacked a bit of tact in the circumstances, but as this thread has shown, we all make mistakes. I for one enjoy her comments although I don't agree with how this was put.

I do however, object to the name calling other posters have directed at her. I've not once in the 8 years I've been on this forum seen amymay resort to that. For all of you baying for the reporting of her comment, think very carefully about what you have posted. I think you'll find you are all in more danger of breaching t&cs than amymay on this occasion.

For the poster who commented about amymay's grey horse (thumper i think he was called?) - I fail to see what being scared or unable to canter him has to do with anything. I have issues cantering, what does it make me then?

As someone else said, this thread should not be an opportunity to slate others. OP is clearly distressed and feels awful. Concentrate your efforts on comforting her and giving her some solace in what must be a terrible time.

Take care OP x

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think a lot of posters on the forum would disagree with you there ;)

I agree with what you're saying, but I think that comments of prolific posters are interpreted in the context of previous interactions (and any forthright poster will have had a few negative interactions at some point!) and from the point of view of the reader, which may not be how the poster meant it. Of course, if I'm wrong, it is an extremely untactful comment for AM to have made. I don't think that warrants calling her names though.

I agree with this it was a tactless comment but I must say one of my kindest friends is famously tactless.

Marydoll

Visit site
I think we've all said tactless things at some point in our lives, but most of the time, when we realise it, we either apologise or rephrase it.
Another poster suggested reflection on what was said, thats not a bad idea.

Aarrghimpossiblepony

Visit site
Sometimes I hate the internet and forums.

To the OP
Really sorry for you, awful thing to happen and it's pretty clear from reading this thread nobody feels you are to blame and that accidents can happen.

To all those jumping on AmyMay.

Extend the same compassion to posters as you did to the OP.

Nobody knows posting on here what's happening in the background. Fair enough, say that remark is out of order, but raking up things past and name calling and old grudges?

When people talk to each other, things are said that are inappropriate sometimes. But it's not set in stone for ever as it is on the internet. A throwaway remark because you have been caught in a bad mood is not held against you forever.

We either learn to cope with the idea that the net is a replacement/equivalent for conversations or we are heading more and more for the kind of things that have been in the news recently where people are ending up in jail for posting a tweet.

justabob

Visit site
Poor Amymay, she has certainly taken a bashing on here tonight and the livery yard mentality has shown itself in some members. A dreadful accident happened and awful for the OP, having said that the title of the thread is emotive and clearly the OP is wanting the replies that tell her she has obviously not killed her pony. I don't think Amymays response warrants the vitriole that has occured on this forum tonight. In fact if I was grieving for the loss of a horse or pony the last thing I would want is the ((hugs)) from complete strangers, I think I would be otherwise occupied. I also agree with Amymay.......give a horse enough rope and it will hang itself.