I've just killed a pony

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
You've not killed a pony, you've dealt quickly and responsibly with a pony that's had an accident and done something that some owners wished for when they find their horse hurt in the field which is immediate care. What's to say he didn't have a weakness that just went which could have gone any when.

This ^^

Hugs hunny.

Rest in peace pony.

mushroom

Visit site
No, not feeling great. I had the pony put down where he was so as not to cause him any more pain than was necessary. This place was inaccessible for him to be picked up and taken away so OH and I had to put the poor little feller on a rug and drag him to where the lorry could pick him up and take him away.

Not much fun.

It was a tragic accident. You looked after him the best you could after it had happened. Please don't beat yourself up.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
You didn't kill anything. Pony had an accident, thankfully you were on hand to make sure he didn't suffer. Horses are so badly designed (spindly legs, walking on one toe, digestion consisting of about 100 miles of almost ready to colic gut), its surprising any of them make it to ripe old ages.

Of course we would do things differently when we know the results, but the result of that would be a world where we never do anything for fear of the result.

Good for you for seeing it through to the end for pony.

Hugs.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Have a hug - if we could predict the future then we would not do half the things we do or go half the places that we do - but we cant.

God bless all of you

GW
x

devonlass

Visit site
What is it with this forum and people saying what they should quite obviously only think??
Typical mentality of inferiority I guess,can only feel good about themselves by making others feel bad,very sad.

OP could have happened to anyone,just yesterday I left both mine tied up to go get tack etc.They are generally very sensible but who knows what *could* happen.We all do things that maybe aren't ideal or 100% safe,and usually get away with it,you were just unlucky on this occasion.

You did the best for him when you found him and hope you don't beat yourself up too much,you really have no need to,hugs and a large glass of wine

Elsbells

Visit site
You didn't kill anything. Pony had an accident, thankfully you were on hand to make sure he didn't suffer. Horses are so badly designed (spindly legs, walking on one toe, digestion consisting of about 100 miles of almost ready to colic gut), its surprising any of them make it to ripe old ages.

Of course we would do things differently when we know the results, but the result of that would be a world where we never do anything for fear of the result.

Good for you for seeing it through to the end for pony.

Hugs.

Couldnt of said anything to better this. Absolutely agree and sending hugs, though useless as they are.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
As usual the perfect and infallible amymay spouts her condescending trap off again, honestly heaven forbid I get to be perfect like you if I need to act like you do. Most of the time I ignore you these days but that was just not blurry required.

OP the wee man had an accident, you didn't physically take summat o his leg and break it, horses can do themselves enough harm without us xxx

So sorry about the circumstances of his removal, have a good drink to the wee mans memory, RIP wee pony xxxx

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
You've not killed a pony, you've dealt quickly and responsibly with a pony that's had an accident and done something that some owners wished for when they find their horse hurt in the field which is immediate care. What's to say he didn't have a weakness that just went which could have gone any when.

Ditto this :(

Some horses would break a limb in a padded cell full of cotton wool, so please don't be hard on yourself. Make sure you have more than one glass of wine and know that you did the best you could do, we are all human and that's all we can do.

The images afterwards of you moving the pony will likely stay with you forever (sorry :( ) but know that he knew nothing of it and by that times was merrily eating in the fields at Elysium. Hugs :(

wildwest

Visit site
so sorry to read this my thoughts are with you xx
and amy may you need to get a life beyond hhf you are on here 24hrs a day it seems, and its turned you into a horrible person

Shantara

Visit site
As others have said - you didn't kill him, it could have happened even if you didn't take your eye off him.

Poor pony and poor you :(
I wish I had some magic words to make you feel better, but have a virtual hug instead (hugs)

AMW

Visit site
you didnt kill him hun , he had a tragic accident :(
It could have happened to any one of us today, yesterday, tomorrow.
Ive lost one to a field accident and like you it wasnt in an easily accesible place, thats hard. Its not all clinical and easy and not how we choose for them to go.
Its the suddeness thats the killer and the self blame but dont, please dont xxx

Elsiecat

Visit site
Not your fault at all. Horses have accidents all the time. It is simply not preventable.
Chin up x

Foxhunter49

Visit site
Warning to me is that A) he was tied to a fence post and B) tied with a long rope.

All the same a terrible thing to have happen and, they do no matter what.

I will add that whilst on a stud management course at Newmarket a few years ago, the vets were talking about how nitrogen can adversely affect the bone on equines. They were called in when several ponies in a riding school in Birmingham were breaking legs for no apparent reason. They examined everything and found it was because they were getting to much nitrogen from what was put on the land and in the hay and can cause the horse to suddenly break a limb.

At that time our field management was done by a local dairy farmer. He ordered and brought the fertiliser with what he needed for his land.
Two yearlings and two 3 year olds grew on this land and all four ended up with bone problems, One yearling developed several bone cysts. The other had fractured sesamoids before he was even started.
The 2 yrs old horses, one had a fractured pelvis and the other had a hind leg shatter as he jumped a fence racing.

It could all have been an awful coincidence but considering that after the course we changed the regime, it never happened with the many more youngster we grew.

If the pony did get his leg caught in the rope because he was tied to long it would be unusual for him to break a leg. I know I would look into how much nitrogen is going into your grass and hay.

Sorry for it happening and I can understand the guilt you feel but it might not be your fault.

Last edited:

Marydoll

Visit site
How awful for you and your family and so sad for the pony and his wee owner, please dont blame yourself, most of us recognise that they can end their lives in seconds doing something silly even when we're right there, ignore the horrible comment some folks are just nasty .

budley95

Visit site
Hugs to you op. What a horrible thing to happen :( it wasn't your fault. Who knows what pony did. Hope you feel better soon.

Oberon

Visit site
Thank you everyone, I'm going to have a drink now, and another wee cry. But thank you all for your good wishes. Nephew is only three so I'm not sure he'll be too upset, well, at least not for long.

To cheer you up, I will tell you one of my better horse management stories......

A few years ago I was walking both horses through a field to the winter field.

The dividing fence was electrified (I knew this).

I clumsily let The Tank bump his nose on the fence and he fled and started running around the field in panic.

I needed to catch him so I tied Obi to the fence for a moment while I trudged after The Tank.

I TIED HIM TO THE ELECTRIC FENCE :eek:

Cue TWO horses then running round the field in panic
slap.gif

I AM A MORON.

fizzer

Visit site
How sad, a tragic accident. How many people leave their horses at shows on lorries tied up? lots that I know of.

Sad that some people have to be so bloody minded with their views, very insensitive.

Oberon

Visit site
Not the most sensible thing to do Oberon, but jolly good of you to admit to it lol! :p

If anyone has ever made a mistake - I reckon I've done worse :eek:

(Not that I'm suggesting the OP made a mistake - tragic accidents happen)

debsflo

Visit site
You havent killed a pony said pony had an accident. Not your fault at all. As several people have said a pony breaking his leg can happen at any time. I bet those being unkind even if they have never had one PTS still ride, turn out, hack out, jump or do any manner of things that "cause" freak accidents.

What lesson could be learned he may well have done it turning round quickly to see something you will never know but is is not your fault so dont even think it may be

You didnt set out to kill him it just happened sadly to you but it could have been any one of us and there but for the grace of god go I

totally agree and am saddened by critical comments . hope youre ok.

Fjord

Visit site
What a horrible accident, please don't beat yourself up about it, it was not your fault. big hugs.

vieshot

Visit site
Amymay i always have respect reading your posts but like othets not tonight. We can all hold our hands up and say eeeeekkkkk . compassion is sometimes needed. OP certainly didnt set out for this to happen and is obviously upset. compassion is a good thing. And hind sight is a gift none of us have . sorry i had to say this as your posts actually upset me :(

Completely agree. Normally really like what Amymay has to say but not this evening, completely uncalled for.