Laminitis with no improvement

holeymoley

Visit site
That’s great to hear. Keep going with the abscess there will be something in there.
I’d pop her on Protexin Gut Balancer too for a few days- her tummy has taken a big hit with all the pain meds.

PSD

Visit site
Thank you!

I’ll have a look at the gut balancer see if I can get hold of some. Does anyone have any laminitis friendly tips for masking the taste of meds in a feed? She’s only on bute and paracetamol now and happily takes the paracetamol in her feed but I’m wanting to get the metformin and bute in there too so I don’t have to constantly syringe them into her. Was thinking some garlic or spearmint something like that, but I’m not sure if that’s lami friendly!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
please don't use garlic, it's an antimicrobial so definitely not what her gut needs.
mint is fine, I think apple cider vinegar might be fine too though I had no success with either, others do.

Reactions: PSD

hellspells

Visit site
Peppermint essence is what worked for mine (on similar levels of drugs as yours). Got from the supermarket in the baking section.
Just one tiny consolation if she’s still laying down a lot, the vet said it was my mares saving grace as she didn’t end up with contracted tendons which is incredibly common in these type of cases. But doesn’t make it easier to see!

Fragglerock

Visit site
Thank you!

I’ll have a look at the gut balancer see if I can get hold of some. Does anyone have any laminitis friendly tips for masking the taste of meds in a feed? She’s only on bute and paracetamol now and happily takes the paracetamol in her feed but I’m wanting to get the metformin and bute in there too so I don’t have to constantly syringe them into her. Was thinking some garlic or spearmint something like that, but I’m not sure if that’s lami friendly!
Mine won't eat bute but will eat Danilon

PSD

Visit site
Bought some mint to go in her speedy beet and it was a hit! No more nasty syringes for now, she’s a lot brighter too she’s lay down less and nowhere near as sore looking. Still no puss yet though, my farrier said he will come later in the week and have a dig if there’s still nothing

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Peppermint essence is what worked for mine (on similar levels of drugs as yours). Got from the supermarket in the baking section.
Just one tiny consolation if she’s still laying down a lot, the vet said it was my mares saving grace as she didn’t end up with contracted tendons which is incredibly common in these type of cases. But doesn’t make it easier to see!

I use peppermint essence it's great stuff I can syringe anything with that added and have used it in feed, the Dr Oatker one has no sugar either so it won't do any harm

PSD

Visit site
Hi so an update.

the farrier has been today and wants to try imprint shoes on her. Her soles are basically non existent now and he is concerned. But the fact she is bright and happy in herself means he wants to have this last ditch attempt at getting her on the road to recovery. She’s still sore, but not as bad and I have managed to reduce her bute to just 2 a day now. I will attach photos of her worst foot, I did panic as I thought the bone was through her sole but the farrier said it’s serum - the same as what came out of the dorsal resection. He said at this point he is unsure what direction she will go in but if there is anymore sinking she will be pts.

Attachments

• 93B74A6C-2D51-4667-9668-5C9E6BC50A80.jpeg
    93B74A6C-2D51-4667-9668-5C9E6BC50A80.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 82
  • D21608B9-3F45-4445-82C2-78EE6889CF6F.jpeg
    D21608B9-3F45-4445-82C2-78EE6889CF6F.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 80

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think I was pro imprints a few pages back. There's been a few people on here that they have been very useful for and would be my go to if I had a horse with lami that needed that sort of help.

PSD

Visit site
I really think she’s beyond repair now if I’m honest. I don’t really see how imprint shoes are going to help the sinking she has. You can see in her coronet band how badly she’s sunk down.

Attachments

• 33CA05A5-BC73-4466-980D-4AD29E9F9B03.jpeg
    33CA05A5-BC73-4466-980D-4AD29E9F9B03.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 96

meleeka

Visit site
I think you can trust your farrier and vet to guide you. It sounds as if this is the last thing to try, so you may as well do it then you know you’ve done everything x

PSD

Visit site
She is eating at the minute yes, she’s bright enough too which is hopeful. My farrier and vet are being fantastic but I do feel like this is now a last ditch attempt to help get her right. Though I do feel we have gone beyond the point of no return

holeymoley

Visit site
Imprints are good for those with not enough hoof. It could work.
She does have very little sole and I can see what you mean from the coronary band. The serum is normal, mine had that. My farrier said if you press the area they should not react, if they do then you’re in trouble.

If you haven’t already, I’d start on Formula 4 feet to grow the best hoof you can. I done this in January last year when we started remedial shoeing and came off it in October, hooves were corrected by June and growing down nice and tightly and strong.

Dusty 123

Visit site
my friend want though the exact same problems the horse world improve and than get worsen and than improved again it would keep going round in circles . My friend did put the horse to sleep . The discussion is up to you .

PSD

Visit site
I feel like such a negative nancy but I just feel like I’ve come to the end of the road with her now after seeing her soles today. My farrier wasn’t overly concerned but he did say there is barely any sole now to play with - does this mean any more movement and it’s literally the end?

I’ll have a look at the farriers formula stuff it would be worth starting her one something soon I think.

I’ve heard amazing things about imprints, I just don’t feel like much is going to help her now. Really do feel like too much damage has been done

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would look at her quality of life, now and in the future. Will having imprints put on, worsen her qol short term - cause pain? Or make her more comfortable. Will they help her feet to recover and get her back to a more normal way of life. Will she be able to spend time in a field with companions, or will she be kept in a stable/grass-free arena for the rest of her life?
Only you can decide what is acceptable to you. I know what I would choose if she were my horse.
I have had 2 equines with laminitis - one a 12hh welsh pony and the other a young Shire., neither ended well tbh.

Last edited:

holeymoley

Visit site
I think if you’re feeling like this deep down then you know the answer. What has the vet said the prognosis is once she’s fixed? Will she ever be ridden again or field ornament?

I can only go from my own experience when I talk in this post. My guy was lucky enough not to sink as I’ve said before and he is back to a normal life. I did say to my vet if there was a chance the sole was so thin that the bone could come through then I’d rather we ended it before that happened.

PSD

Visit site
I would look at her quality of life, now and in the future. Will having imprints put on, worsen her qol short term - cause pain? Or make her more comfortable. Will they help her feet to recover and get her back to a more normal way of life. Will she be able to spend time in a field with companions, or will she be kept in a stable/grass-free arena for the rest of her life?
Only you can decide what is acceptable to you. I know what I would choose if she were my horse.
I have had 2 equines with laminitis - one a 12hh welsh pony and the other a young Shire., neither ended well tbh.

short term the imprints “should” improve her quality of life. Both vet and farrier have said that at this point there is no way of predicting the future outcome simply because of how up and down she is. We do have “lami paddocks” for use in summer however there are only 3 to be shared between around 7 laminitis liveries so we have to work around each other. It’s something I would address when and if the time comes for her to go out.

I think if you’re feeling like this deep down then you know the answer. What has the vet said the prognosis is once she’s fixed? Will she ever be ridden again or field ornament?

I can only go from my own experience when I talk in this post. My guy was lucky enough not to sink as I’ve said before and he is back to a normal life. I did say to my vet if there was a chance the sole was so thin that the bone could come through then I’d rather we ended it before that happened.

My girl has sunk in both fronts and you can see from the pictures it’s pretty bad. She has thin soles and that’s why they think she’s feeling the pain more than most would at this stage. I feel like that’s a good way to look at it though, I’d hate for it to get to a stage where the bone comes through it makes me feel sick at the thought. My farrier said there’s barely any sole left now and I don’t think I’ve ever heard of them reversing sinking. Rotation can be corrected but I don’t think sinking can can it?