Modern Pentathlon...

Beanyowner

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
That's why I reckon a few riders should give this a go - I can run 3km very fast and shoot accurately and I would certainly be able to learn how to fence. As for swimming, it's not my best sport but I think it's only a 200m swim so even I could survive that. Got on random horses for university competitions and would be quite happy to do it again. There must be plenty of other riders who could do this better than this lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck then!

lucretia

Visit site
in this country you may well be right. but these are too bad to be true, that last guy rode pretty well and anyone can see most of these horses are strugggling with the height

Abracadabjar

Visit site
that guy was good, but Im glad im not the only one so disgusted by this!

what is wrong with the bloke who got back on...the horses hoof went through the wall and got stuck BADLY, It was hardly able to put its foot down.

Im sorry but I think something needs to be doen about this, its so awful to watch and see these poor animals being battered and trashed

Sorry imho think HH needs to start looking into this and bringing it to the fore front

JM07

Visit site
not much different than your average weekend unaffiliated show TBH...
tongue.gif

Nailed

Visit site
I dont think that saying this sport is cruel is 'A bit dramatic' Im sorry, if someone got on myhorse and rode it like some of these olympians. i would be draging them off my horse by there ankles.

It is not really a very well thought out sport.

Lou x

Saf

community.webshots.com
Agree, its very hard to find a horse who will jump 120 with a novice who jabs them and can't see a stride, I would like to know the scores of the test rides, it must be published somewhere?

ecrozier

Visit site
I just logged on specially to see what people were saying who were watching this, as I have to say I'm pretty appalled! Yes, some of the horses are not exactly easy rides but the way some of the riders are treating them.....I'm not exactly surprised! I wouldn't jump either! Commentry is cr@p - 'nothing xxx can d about this' - well, some riding lessons would help!! And that grey was LAME. They should at least be disqualified after a fall, or after two refusals - chist, they allowed one of them to carry on after a horse fall, let alone rider fall.
ALso, that doesn't look 1m20 to me?
Very rare I feel this strongly about TV but I can't believe they talk about cancelling dressage as an olympic sport but would let this go on.....poor horses. As someone said, the average person switching on the TV would think this a proper equestrian sport.

Daffodil

Visit site
Having seen only a couple of rounds, I have no wish to see more. The horses are of average ability, and some look in quite poor condition. The underfoot conditions are appalling, and this spectacle does nothing for either the Modern Pentathlon or equine sports. To my mind show jumping as part of the Pentathlon does not fit into the pattern of the sport anyway, and its about time it was taken out.

GT_02

Visit site
I'm finding this quite soul destroying to watch. That last rider was awful, I actually feel sorry for the commentators having to commentate on this. I wonder how many horses are going to have to have some reschooling following this?!

trendybraincell

Visit site
Maybe the organisation of the event should be re-thought, rather than coming straight from swimming and only getting 20 minutes with the horse they should space things out ore and give them more time to prepare for this phase.

X

xspiralx

Can't watch as at work, but if this is really that bad, something should be done.

They may not be natural riders, but even so, if you're representing your country for the olympics you ought to be at least halfway competent in all of the 5 sports. Clearly they're not good enough and the jumps should be lowered to maybe 1m - and the riders taught properly how to ride.

Beanyowner

Visit site
How many of these horse need schooling full stop! lol!

I agree that some of the forign riders are pretty shocking...I can only vouch for the british riders...they work damn hard with all their disciplines but some people are just not born riders.

ecrozier

Visit site
Is it me or is this cuban just holding his reins in his fists? To be fair, did a better job with that horse than previous rider in terms of faults but the slow otion reply of him walloping it three times in a row on its shoulder....really horid.
ETA thanks god, the latvian guy can actually ride!First one I have seen actually set a horse up in that combination!

jumpthemoon

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Having seen only a couple of rounds, I have no wish to see more. The horses are of average ability, and some look in quite poor condition. The underfoot conditions are appalling, and this spectacle does nothing for either the Modern Pentathlon or equine sports. To my mind show jumping as part of the Pentathlon does not fit into the pattern of the sport anyway, and its about time it was taken out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely agree with this - I had a quick look cos I'm at work and was horrified at thepoor standards all round. The riding is atroscious (sp?) and I can't bring myself to watch any more (pro a good job!).

I don't think it's fair on the horses to allow this phase to stay in MP - at least if the athletes are rubbish at another discipline no-one gets hurt
frown.gif
Some of them are really yanking at the horses mouths - it's quite upsetting
frown.gif

carys220

Visit site
It's OK saying they aren't born riders....but I can't swim so I don't enter swimming competitions.....I can't dance so I don't enter dancing competitions.....

ru-fi-do

Visit site
I have to say i'm swtching over now, this is appaling, as rightly said this is at olympic level if their sport invoves SJ then why on earth are they not trained appropriately? Fair play to them going in and jumping the jumps at the height they are, ut not many are acyually being 'jumped'. The commentator hasn't got a clue, for the bay that had the fall to be ridden out was unbelievable, no one noticed it's lameness. I think some points should be raised about it but to who i'm not quite sure.

KimYoung

Visit site
I have just switched on so missed the worst of it if your posts ar anything to go by.

BUT ARGGHHH get that cuban rider off..

I trained some of the GB team back in the early 1990's and theyu would have been given some serious remedial work if they rode like that. I didnt realise how good in comparison our riders were then

JM07

Visit site
well, as "most" of you are obviously brilliant at riding...well, good, in most replies, i think the quality of the bloody horses leaves alot to be desired, don't you??

thats of course you can "see" this......

this part of the MP is a partnership...something that these athletes only experience in this disciplin...

and has been rightly pointed out several times, this IS the Olympics, so you'd have thought they'd come up with with some half decent horses to utilise.....

KimYoung

Visit site
I think ningning is trying to tell the polish rider something!!
blush.gif

Surley if he went round the course well last time it cant be just the horse? i would expect the second rider to have an advantage as the horse has already jumped the course and seen the fences a couple of times

It is a flipping hard test...not sure I would wnt to ride round a 1.20m course on a horse I have only sat on for 20 min.

FirstLight

Visit site
i have only seen one half decent rider. what honest horses .
if they actually rode them to the fence then they wouldnt need to whack it when it refuses when its a rider fault

trendybraincell

Visit site
lottie_lover, its good to hear someone who has had input in the brits training say they would not be allowed to ride as some that we have seen...I'm happier knowing that at least team GB puts serious effort into the training...go team GB