Modern Pentathlon...

Skhosu

Visit site
oh dear lord that was v. nasty looking. he'll get out of the way quicker. not sure what happened there. hope rider and horse ok

carys220

Visit site
It reminds me of when I was younger and loved jumping but it scared the sh*t out of me so I had no impulsion...my little welsh pony would pick up on this and stop or run out....she threw me onto a spiky rustic once! Ouch! They need horses that just need pointing in the right direction...although I'm not sure some of these riders are capable of that!

carys220

Visit site
grin.gif
you shouldn't laugh but is anyone keeping a tally of how many have fallen off??

JM07

Visit site
i'm sorry, but this is now becoming a total farce...

those horses are TRUELY dreadful....

they have no idea........

GDB

photobucket.com
They need to stop this phase and stop it now! For the benifit and saftey of both horse and rider. Surely then can put something else in its place like Archery. Im really concered at the welfare of the horse and shall be writing to the Horse and Hound with my genuine concerns.

ecrozier

Visit site
The chestnut that fell on its head was actually not a abad horse at all for the GB rider. This is complete carnage. Almost every rider who has fallen off has been yanking so hard on the horses head, it has just been a question of when not if. I don't profess to be a great rider, but I sure as hell would try and improve my riding beyond recognition before attempting to jump 1.20 on a horse I didn't know. And as for the horses al being crap, well maybe the jumps sholud be lowered? And surely if as Saf said they have all kumped round prior to beinghosen for use then they can't be that bad?

JM07

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It would be interesting to see what a really decent rider could do on one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

not a lot more, i shouldnt think......

carys220

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i'm sorry, but this is now becoming a total farce...

those horses are TRUELY dreadful....

they have no idea........

[/ QUOTE ]

I got on a very good jumping pony once, was absolutely terrified and held it really tight....it ended up headbutting me over the first jump and then leaping the next! We didn't try anymore...I wasn't the rider for that pony......he was fantastic at jumping but MY riding made him crap.......is it not clear that's what's happening here?

MooMoo

Visit site
Uh...neither do the riders. Its not fair to blame it on the horses, if they're not suited then they shouldnt be there. Its not their fault they're being made to do something they arent capable of. Add to that the appaling riding and its not exactly making it any easier for them.

JM07

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Uh...neither do the riders. Its not fair to blame it on the horses, if they're not suited then they shouldnt be there. Its not their fault they're being made to do something they arent capable of. Add to that the appaling riding and its not exactly making it any easier for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

hence my reply...saying that as it the Olympics, some better qulity animals should hav been provided...

and before anyone mentions it, no i dont mean grade A types....

Flame_

Visit site
There's nowt wrong with the horses - at least there wasn't at the start!

I think the horses are doing a damn good job despite the riders and the fact that now half of them are lame and have sore mouths, sides and backs.
crazy.gif

It'll be interesting to see how they go for the women, or have they been already?

KimYoung

Visit site
Quote: if you'd waited a few moments before going off half-cock, you'd see he's retired...

Yes but you would be surprised what happens in some major competitions. When very determined individuals (and these guys are extremly fit and VERY focussed on winning) who do not have a horsey background try to keep going. You forget that non horsey people sometimes think of horses as machines and may well have seen event riders get up and carry on after a rider fall. [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

X

xspiralx

It sounds bloody dangerous. If horses are falling over and getting lamed on a regular basis, it won't be long until somebody is badly hurt or killed.

By the sounds of it, the SJ should either be taken out, or the riders taught to ride properly, and given point and jump horses to take round a 1m or so course. Its not fair on either horse nor rider to expect them to do something they are clearly not able to do competently or safely.