Most stupid horsey thing you've ever said, asked, done etc.!!!

frazzled

Visit site
Many years ago after ponies had been on winter break brought them back in and decided to clip them. Both ponies were very fluffy, so clipped the polo pony first, lovely hunter clip and hog. Then without thinking gave exactly the same to second pony hog and all. He was a show pony who’s season started somewhat later that year....

frazzled

Visit site
Many years ago after ponies had been on winter break brought them back in and decided to clip them. Both ponies were very fluffy, so clipped the polo pony first, lovely hunter clip and hog. Then without thinking gave exactly the same to second pony hog and all. He was a show pony who’s season started somewhat later that year....

aliby

Visit site
Testing to see if the electric fence is on by touching it o_O. Only once.

Fly spray/tack cleaner spray/ mane and tail detangler spray - any number of ways these can get mixed up. For a good while this summer horses were going out slathered in detangler spray. Though actually i think it was as effective as fly spray.

Friend found horse with leg hugely swollen, major panic, out of hours vet call out. Horse had got leg strap of rug twisted up and it was acting like a tourniquet :rolleyes:

Instructor suggested trying horse in a pelham, she swapped with existing bit for me, and got on and schooled him for 20 minutes. With the two reins crossed over.

Mule

Visit site
Testing to see if the electric fence is on by touching it o_O. Only once.

Fly spray/tack cleaner spray/ mane and tail detangler spray - any number of ways these can get mixed up. For a good while this summer horses were going out slathered in detangler spray. Though actually i think it was as effective as fly spray.

Friend found horse with leg hugely swollen, major panic, out of hours vet call out. Horse had got leg strap of rug twisted up and it was acting like a tourniquet :rolleyes:

Instructor suggested trying horse in a pelham, she swapped with existing bit for me, and got on and schooled him for 20 minutes. With the two reins crossed over.
I've done the electric fence thing too. Naturally it was on ⚡⚡🔌🔌🙄

Mule

Visit site
In a very muddy winter I bent down to go under the mains electric fence. Didn't quite make it, electric fence shocked me on the arse and fired me head first into the deep mud.
I did that while dripping wet after falling in to water in my clothes 🙄Luckily it was just a portable unit.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Quite a number I can think of....

Big blooper was turning up at daughters PC camp (I was instructing and staying over too) box was fully loaded, undid the ramp and no pony! I'd left the bleddy thing behind, tied up in his stable!

Left the NPS champs one year and it was only when I was just getting onto the M5 that one of the kids asked where child 3 was...... bleddy kid was still on the showground!

Took FLF out for a lovely hack, she was always a bugger about puddles so I decided to push the point as it had recently just stopped raining. Huge puddle on a narrow track was ideal for training.... so as I marched her up to it very firmly, she just as firmly moved smartly into the bushes on the side. However in my haste to be dictatorial, I ended up sliding very quickly to the near side, saddle firmly between my knees still... ended up plopping into deep brackish puddle and saddle sitting under her elbow. Haven't forgotten to check my girth since 😜

Lots more, v embarrassing!

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'm just an idiot. However, I am mostly a reformed idiot. I never do stupid things these days...

68479864_1072971712911874_787664669572595712_o.jpg

68683336_1072971839578528_1387589158926548992_o.jpg

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
I once went to put my saddle away and put my whip tucked under it. The whip pinged out and stabbed me in the eye. I had to go to the doctors for eye drops and was in agony while doing my exams 😂

I also called the vet in a panic and paid the emergency callout because my loan horse was shivering and I thought it was a reaction to her wormer. She was just cold as she had got wet earlier in the day 😂

Mule

Visit site
I once went to put my saddle away and put my whip tucked under it. The whip pinged out and stabbed me in the eye. I had to go to the doctors for eye drops and was in agony while doing my exams 😂

I also called the vet in a panic and paid the emergency callout because my loan horse was shivering and I thought it was a reaction to her wormer. She was just cold as she had got wet earlier in the day 😂
😂

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
Just remembered that when I first started helping at a local riding school I put a rug on backwards on an enormous retired horse. I can only defend myself in that I was 11 and anxious to show off my book learned knowledge of horses 😂

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Doing sitting trot as told to do by my instructor, no stirrups. Went round the corner of the school and very elegantly (not!) slid off, for no good reason.

Laughing so hard going into canter at a mate that I lost my balance and head butted the saddle. Bloody hurt.

Got into the school, meant to be supervising a child on her pony, looked at her and realised we’d both forgotten our hats. Duh.

Didn’t really want to canter in a very small field leading to a country lane, but my (child) companion did. She overtook my 16.3hh tb who didn’t like being restrained, bucked me off, I sprained both wrists. Couldn’t lift a pint for two weeks!

Cherylx

Visit site
Too many things to write!

I went to view a horse and all went well, was dismounting and landed straight on my back after ankle gave way. Owner must of been thinking what kind of idiot is this.

Not done up girth, started cantering and saddle slipped under belly with me jumping off half way landing on my feet with half the yard watching.

Rode for 20 minutes in the school, came back up and said ‘xxx doesn’t feel right today’ friend quickly pointed out bit was upside down in poor ponies mouth!

tankgirl1

Visit site
Has anyone ever NOT done the hacking with a loose girth or crossed reins thing? I've done it more than once

My best moment was getting both boots hooked on the latch and catch of a gate we were riding through and sliding off my ponys arse to be left hanging upside down whilst a farmer stopped his quad to watch, and pony wandered off grazing..

Cowpony

Visit site
I use Renapur on my tack and Sudocrem on my horse. They are both in small white pots with similar plain lids, and in my grooming kit box I can only see the tops of the lids. Yep, you've guessed it. Sudocrem on a black saddle is very hard to shift.....

Jellymoon

Visit site
Not me but a very careful and generally thoughtful and knowledgable person I know once, in their early horse days helping at a riding school, tacked up an unbroken 2 year old in a case of mistaken identity! Apparently it just stood there and looked a bit confused about this new turn of events.

OMG, that’s my favourite one so far! 🤣🤣🤣

MrsNorris

Visit site
Out hacking, dismounted and crossed stirrups over saddle to negotiate a very overgrown, narrow path. Tried to uncross stirrups from the near side, offside stirrup got caught on skirt, you know what’s coming next, I jerked it free and it flew over the saddle and cracked me between the eyes, smashing my glasses and giving me 2 beautiful black eyes, lesson most definitely learned!

aliby

Visit site
I have tried very hard to blot this from my memory, but....
Decided I wanted horse really clean, why not try fairy washing up liquid to bathe him...
OMG the foam :eek: He was like a giant pouffe ball. It took HOURS and gallons and gallons of water to rinse off. Good thing it was a warm day.

Pippity

Visit site
I have tried very hard to blot this from my memory, but....
Decided I wanted horse really clean, why not try fairy washing up liquid to bathe him...
OMG the foam :eek: He was like a giant pouffe ball. It took HOURS and gallons and gallons of water to rinse off. Good thing it was a warm day.

I was on a riding holiday as a kid and, as part of it, we got to bath our ponies. The non-horsey part of the couple running the place gave us Fairy liquid to use. The bay came up nicely, but my grey was positively glowing in the dark.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
On a total unhorsey related moment of stupidity, last year I went out shopping with my mum and marvelled in how I’d never noticed that my jeans had front pockets... until it dawned on me that my jeans were on backwards...

Noble Outfitters riding tights... back to front feels normal but OH was in hysterics as I could not find the pocket! I was CERTAIN there used to be a pocket on my left thigh. Searched high and low. Took the dratted things off before I found the thing under my right thigh.

Has anyone ever NOT done the hacking with a loose girth or crossed reins thing? I've done it more than once

Not done that, but did go through a phase of doing the cheek piece up inside the offside of the noseband.A very proper friend was aghast that I did not get off to alter it!

xxcharlottexx

Visit site
New years eve 2 years ago I put lead rope around horses neck to bring in rather than putting head collar on (only 10 steps from field to stable) As horse walked into the stable I let go of one end of the rope to release horse. Unfortunately I let go of the clip end of the lead rope which then somehow manage to swing up and over and clunk me right on the forehead. About 2 seconds later I had a golf ball lump on my head whilst hubby freaking out how quick it came up and me carrying on doing jobs as horses needed feeding on time and refusing to go to get checked out as NYE would have been horrendously busy. Still have a slight lump 🙈

southerncomfort

Visit site
Once got trapped in a feed room when the pony who was turned out on the yard decided to push a car tyre tight up against the door completely blocking my exit.

Putting a headcoller on a very tall horse, the headcoller slipped out of my hand. Headcoller dropped on to my face clunking my teeth with the heavy metal buckle.

And the one that happens several times every winter - flinging on a rug only to have the whole thing blow back over my head. I'm pretty short so sometimes it can take quite a while to extract myself!